Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2019 10:14 AM

Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saber Marionette didn't live up to the hype unfortunately for me. I'm not a fan of Harem shows anyway but I hoped to enjoy this one more than I did. I was initially under the wrong impression in terms of the structure of the shows story. For some reason I thought this was an Adventure series and would include travelling from place to place (think Slayers or something). But yeah it's Rom Com Harem with a Sci-Fi twist mainly set in one city.

For the first series it totally worked, it wasn't amazing imo but I enjoyed it. I liked the story despite it sometimes being silly, It had a charm to it. The main characters were mostly likable. Lime being the standout with Bloodberry close behind. Honestly Cherry I never really liked much throughout, she just wasn't very interesting beyond her occasional fantasies which got a couple of laughs out of me. The cel animation was really nice and for 24 episodes it was solid fun. Problem though was the show felt done to me at the end of this season, it was open to more story telling but the major plot point of season 1 was resolved and yeah I felt satisfied and fulfilled.

So following that up with a 6 episode OVA and then a 26 episode TV series? Well as my scores ended up reflecting it hasn't been worth it at all for me personally. For one thing the whole series takes a huge step down in quality with it's Animation, moving the series from Cel to 90's era Digital. Add to that an awful character redesign which has aged very poorly and a simplifying of characters personalities to boot (Lime is very simple in the OVA) and I just felt honestly that this show was a victim of it's own success. The show became more and more stale.

Admittedly the Manga did run till 1999 just like the TV series, so perhaps the OVA and 2nd season aren't filler at all but to me thats what they felt like. It's been a real slog these last few days honestly trying to finish J to X. It just felt long winded and while it tried to have some drama and certainly did achieve that towards the end, I mean the show really does go places, I was just past caring because none of it was that engaging. Also I have no idea what really happened towards the end. Were those 3 Female clones really stolen at somepoint because honestly I didn't remember that, not even a little. I mean I was hardly glued to the second series so If I missed that I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Though it's worth mentioning that my opinion I confess certainly doesn't match many others who have seen it. The second season is often rated just as strongly as the first. I don't get why too much but there you go. I mean I watched this whole franchise over the course of a week in January 2019, so it could be that the show just hasn't aged very well and as I said I'm not a fan of Harem shows the best of times anyway.

Still have Saber Marionette R to watch which I hope to like actually, for one it was made first (but is advised by everyone as something to watch last so I will) and so it was made using Cel animation! yay! Also it has the original Ocean cast from the first season in terms of the Dubs which is a relief.

I didn't mention this so far but the franchise is a total disaster when it comes to the English dubs. Ocean did 'R' and the 1st series and it's a good dub (for the time) as to be expected from that studio. But then for some reason the entire cast is changed for the J again OVA and it's awful. AND THEN! They changed it again for J to X, meaning that alot of these characters have been voiced by as many as 3 English actors. In fact a couple were even recast in the first season meaning that they have 4! I didn't watch the dub for J to X, or at least not past the first few episodes due to how bad it was.

Anyway If anyone who reads this enjoyed the series I'm happy for you, I wish I also liked the OVA and J to X as much as I did the first season but unfortunately I didn't.
BlaizeVJan 23, 2019 11:24 AM
Nov 1, 2019 11:33 AM

Nov 2015
BlaizeV said:
Were those 3 Female clones really stolen at somepoint because honestly I didn't remember that, not even a little. I mean I was hardly glued to the second series so If I missed that I wouldn't be surprised at all.

was stolen by Hess. ordered his marionette phang phang to do it. supposedly to give Lime what he promised: a human body.

đź’˘

Dec 19, 2020 5:06 PM

Jun 2010
This unnecessary sequel turned out quite badly. It has almost no ideas and most of the running time is deliberately wasted in uninteresting one-shots and then plot-lines that just circle back around to where they began. If it was going to lack for substance (it wasn't as if the first series was so great in that regard) I'd have much rather it fall back on the real strength of the first series; being silly. It's incredible that only three episodes in this series (including this last one) are primarily comedies. The gloomy dourness of the entire second half is real drag.

This epilogue episode isn't bad on its own. It hasn't really earned all the sentiment but at least it was funny. The three girls might be more amusing as mischievous brats than as harem girlfriends anyway.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saber Marionette J to X Episode 21 Discussion

Fronzel - Dec 18, 2020

1 by junior20000 »»
Dec 17, 2021 5:41 AM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J to X Episode 19 Discussion

Berry-Vodka - Oct 25, 2019

1 by junior20000 »»
Dec 16, 2021 7:32 AM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J to X Episode 6 Discussion

Zarnaav - Nov 3, 2015

2 by junior20000 »»
Nov 10, 2021 5:52 AM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J to X Episode 24 Discussion

Berry-Vodka - Oct 30, 2019

1 by Fronzel »»
Dec 19, 2020 3:43 PM

Poll: » Saber Marionette J to X Episode 16 Discussion

Fronzel - Dec 18, 2020

0 by Fronzel »»
Dec 18, 2020 10:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.