Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 18, 2018 3:33 AM
Nov 2015
DarkAudit said:
moaml_salm said:
It was shit.
And I'm sick of the garbage-tier filter
Door's that way, kid. Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
you roasted me hard kid
Jan 18, 2018 3:34 AM
Nov 2017
moaml_salm said:
DarkAudit said:
Door's that way, kid. Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
you roasted me hard kid

Shush, boy. The adults are talking.
Jan 18, 2018 3:46 AM

Dec 2015
Ventus_S said:
I finished 2 episodes already and I know why the rage of so many people.

This show is clearly not for edgy teenagers who only likes power fantasy, yet people over-hyped it as if all the anime community should watch it. Mal score pretty much reflects the average age group of audience in Mal.

I'm 30 and I find Violet Evergarden to be terribly dull. Seriously this episode was all about writing letters, could they have picked anything more boring to show us? Not to mention the dialogue is painfully bad. I don't dislike this show because I'm an edgy teenager, I dislike it because it's such a snooze fest.
Jan 18, 2018 3:47 AM
Sep 2016
DarkAudit said:
moaml_salm said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
you roasted me hard kid

Shush, boy. The adults are talking.

And we wonder why adults are seen to be stupid sometimes XD
1.1.Six
Jan 18, 2018 3:50 AM
Apr 2016
Erica is a bad character and didn't need to be introduced. Why? Because Violet is obviously a bad Auto Memory Doll now, so why do we need another bad Auto Memory Doll? The are basically the same except one has some emotions (not that she really shows any anyway because she is always making gasping noises and looking down all the time)

Iris is ok, I didn't really see much of what she could be but I think she is worthy addition as being someone annoyed that Cattayla (I think that's how you spell it?) is taking all the 'good' work and is a bit jealous.

I liked the interactions Violet had with the customers, showing that she has a long way to go to understand emotions. I wonder if she is actually autistic or something?

Also the visuals were great, although the desaturation looks bad at times. The insert ED song was kind of random and misplaced too, and it didn't really resonate with me.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Jan 18, 2018 3:53 AM

May 2015
And the hate bandwagon continues. Gotta love MAL.

Jan 18, 2018 3:55 AM

Apr 2016
Petalview said:
I'd hardly believe that the dolls are human.

Well, it more looks like they are indeed just ordinary humans, and the "doll" is just the name of profession they are doing.
Jan 18, 2018 4:23 AM

Aug 2009
I am disappointed so far.12 min of 2nd ep felt like an hour.
Animation and graphics are amazing however characters and plot are dull. Violet is your typical kuudere character, she's physically strong, lack emotions, common sense and have cliche, sad backstory that is trying to force me to feel sorry for her.
I was expecting a soldier with PTSD who is trying to adapt to new reality, not an emotionless doll who's only concerned about "where is Gilbert" and "I want to know "love". How about understanding other human beings around you first?
I don't think I will enjoy this show but I will still watch it for graphics.
Jan 18, 2018 4:35 AM

Mar 2014
Swagernator said:
Petalview said:
I'd hardly believe that the dolls are human.

Well, it more looks like they are indeed just ordinary humans, and the "doll" is just the name of profession they are doing.

Thanks for quoting, just seen that I wrote that incorrectly. What I wanted to say is, that I strongly think that they are human. Lost in translation. ^^' Thanks!
I totally agree. Corrected the previous post.
FlueckliJan 18, 2018 4:41 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2018 4:52 AM

Jan 2015
sherpico said:
Ventus_S said:
Honestly this anime should have been a niche genre like Rakuga, but people overhyped it and all the edgy teenagers caught in the hype train and watch something that's inherently not interesting for them.

It's funny you say this. I'm in my 30s and tend to hate 'edgy' shows, but to me so far this one seems anything but mature. It wants to be, with its themes of war, suffering, and Love™ but it all comes off like a teenager's unrealistic, overly romanticized conception of those things.
I agree. My top 2 shows from last year are Rakugo and 3-gatsu no Lion, I absolutely adore those shows. This, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much more going for it than the visuals. Pretty sad that fans of this series try to, for some reason, justify them liking this by saying people who don't like it are "edgy teenagers".

And of course some people say "then stop watching" if you don't really like the show. Nothing new to see here I guess.
Jan 18, 2018 5:03 AM

Mar 2016

Interesting...
but it's my honest remark on how Violet looked like, not that I'm that knowledgeable on these kind of things(or general knowledge as a whole)
Jan 18, 2018 5:06 AM

Jan 2017
sh*t this anime is living up to its hype.

for this person that can't comprehend emotions, that colonel hodgins sure playing with them... feeding false hope. i really feel for her
Jan 18, 2018 5:20 AM

Jul 2012
Still only 2 episodes so won't jump to conclusions that easily, but for now want to say that i expected much more from this, the PV was so much hype, well mb it was just my fault. So far the story is nothing special + pretty slow pacing. Not feeling any connection to the characters, i love most of KyoAni shows and mostly for the characters, but this just doesn't stand even close, mb/hopefully?! for now. While the pacing is slow i thought that Erica's story-introduction was rushed, like she came up with her realization out of nowhere/really fast, felt rather strange than anything.
For now good-decent, the visuals in the 1st episode were amazing, in this one nothing really impressive. I wonder if the story can surprise me, kinda skeptical, but really hope so.
Jan 18, 2018 5:32 AM

Jul 2014
The visuals were still pretty good, but other than that this episode was pretty dull and tedious and annoying, and I don't really care about any of the characters so far. And that's not because I dislike shows that are willing to take things a little more slowly (I love 3-gatsu, for instance), it's just because this seems to be missing something to make me empathise with the characters and actually have any interest in what is happening.

Still, the first episode showed that this show can be great, so I'm not gonna dismiss it just yet.
Jan 18, 2018 5:41 AM

Feb 2014
Kittens-kun said:

Indeed. It's almost as if most shows that get the word 'hype' labelled on it will eventually catch the attention of the hate bandwagon. Darling in the Franxx and Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade works, for me, fall in that category too, especially Fate, where most episode discussions when it aired was filled with constant barrage of fans and haters shitposting each other, going back and forth between both sides. Rather sad and pathetic when discussion threads turn into such immature and embarrassing rubbish like that, but hey, that's the internet in a nutshell for you. ¬__¬

On topic with the episode in question, I like how Violet tries her best to settle into her role as an Auto Memory Doll. Her blunt responses with the other dolls and customers was a bit brutal, but funny to watch, until the moustache'd man went into anger mode. Erica might've made mistakes with her letter, but there's no excuse for the man to blow his lid and become verbally violent towards someone who trying her best to do her job, so Violet did the right thing by putting him in his place. =)

Hodgin's talk with Cattleya at the end was certainly interesting. Going by what he said, Gilbert is either dead or is alive, but has gone to a different country far away from his home country. Sure, it's too easy to say that he should just tell Violet what he knows already, but who knows how she'll react to that. Would she go to such huge lengths to find him again, or how would she reach if Gilbert is actually dead? Having the emerald brooch again has filled her with hope, so I'm hoping myself that Violet will find out the answer soon enough.

So yea, this episode, for me, was still really good and the animation touches was personally better than the first episode. =)
Jan 18, 2018 5:45 AM

Sep 2015
Oh you guys its Kyoani's work its going to get bigger either way.
Into the Internet!
Jan 18, 2018 5:55 AM

Jul 2016
Seems like where getting bits of flashbacks every episode. Consistently beautiful animation and an ED which though I'm not fond of. Would like see more of Violet's interactions in her new job on the next episodes and the other characters' perspective.
Jan 18, 2018 6:44 AM

Jan 2015
Oh wow, I’m surprised that so many people found this episode to be boring, bad, etc... I can’t find a single flaw. This anime is just so innocent and good, I don’t get the hate
Jan 18, 2018 6:48 AM

Apr 2017
idk why many didnt like this ep but i enjoyed it. violet is savage as fuck without realizing it lmao

5/5

still life: pink roses
Jan 18, 2018 6:50 AM

Mar 2016
This is better than the first episode, I love it
kikiabdullJan 18, 2018 7:27 AM
Jan 18, 2018 6:57 AM

Aug 2008
So far this show isn't much but an eye candy. Violet's voice is starting to really get on my nerves but the worst part is how in your face everything is in this show. Somehow it reminds me of Musaigen when it's going "here's the sad part, be sad", "this is the funny part, laugh", "ooh, drama is coming, get ready to be moved". Some shots coupled with music were trying so hard it almost made me think it might be a parody of melodrama.

I'll give it one more episode to see if it's good for anything more than playing on the side to glance at sometimes.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 18, 2018 7:01 AM

Aug 2015
Really nice episode. that ending song was pretty average though.
Jan 18, 2018 7:13 AM

Oct 2017
This anime is really heart-thugging. This episode is very very good and the animation (as always, Kyoani) is Top-notched.
Signature removed.AGAIN.
Jan 18, 2018 7:13 AM

Dec 2014
Better than first ep, but Violet's obsession with Gilbert--while understandable--is really annoying.
I need sleep.
Jan 18, 2018 7:14 AM

Sep 2016
Xenocrisi said:
Oh wow, I’m surprised that so many people found this episode to be boring, bad, etc... I can’t find a single flaw. This anime is just so innocent and good, I don’t get the hate
Just because you lack critical thinking, doesn't mean others are same.
Maybe you should start listing the good thing about this anime instead like visual, visual... wait, the visual isnt' even that good, chunibyo is better.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 18, 2018 7:23 AM

Nov 2016

She's such a Boa Hancock look alike.

Really nice episode again,even better than the first one for me,getting the feel for this show and I can relate to Violets struggle.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 18, 2018 7:34 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
holy fucking damn are there some fine ass women in this anime O___O
Jan 18, 2018 7:35 AM

Mar 2016
Wait, this is filler? I don't even notice lol.
Still very good filler though
Jan 18, 2018 7:39 AM

Mar 2015
I knew I was very familiar with Cattleya's VA from somewhere. She voiced Lt. Heideman in Sound of the Sky. Her voice is quite lovely. :)
The sword that takes life gives life
Jan 18, 2018 7:42 AM
Jan 2018
I think, its not an boring eps. But, this what style story of KyoAni. The flashback in the first scene. If you want this anime have a good story, you must be patient to watch every eps. And KyoAni it's believe this Anime can be the best anime. I feel a little upset when the rating is down. For the vote the bad rating,, you must more appreciate and more knowing this studio, and will you be buy the BD disc for support this studio?
MuhamadSyahRezaJan 18, 2018 7:46 AM
Jan 18, 2018 7:42 AM

Feb 2016
Kittens-kun said:

Can't take negative feedback? Everything you love is wonderful, even to the other? Please.

Anyway, pretty average so far, the first ep is ok, but this one is just meh. Probably come back when this is finished airing so I can get the whole view of the show.
♬ Nothing's gonna change my love for you
You ought to know by now how much I love you
One thing you can be sure of
I'll never ask for more than your love ♬
Jan 18, 2018 7:59 AM

Dec 2016
Violet is not like the other women sinse she's just a doll, but still she needs a lot to learn on her job. Hoping she can gain emotions as time goes on.

The revelation of someone did steal Violet's precious gem to sell at the Black Market while she was still recovering at the hospital was very low whoever it was, and also that Gilbert did die is just aweful and heart breaking :( the feels... Not that I knew he died, it's just that I believed that he was hiding somewhere. Now I know the reunion is impossible ;_;

Very nice episode :) I have high hopes for this anime and I can't wait to see how this goes ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 18, 2018 8:03 AM

Jul 2016
This is hitting my feels :/
Jan 18, 2018 8:08 AM

Jan 2015
Damn, what a dull episodes and probably will get even boring in later episodes
Rance X is A GOAT.
Jan 18, 2018 8:12 AM

Feb 2016
At least Violet doesn't seems as inconsistent as how the first episode portrayed her. The episode were very slow paced, but not necessarily boring. I can't really understand why is this anime is so overhyped, its not even that good to begin with (That doesn't mean its bad... Just saying) Also, people should stop assuming that only "Edgy teenagers" won't like this anime because its for "Adults"... that has to be the most ridiculous excuse I've ever read.

I agree with many people here, Hibike had better animation quality than this.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 18, 2018 8:25 AM

Nov 2017
Major_Gilbert said:
Well looks like they're really going all out in terms of consistency in the art. I liked the way this episode focused on Violet's interactions with her colleagues, which the novel didn't really focus much on.

BUT, almost everything in this episode was just extra plot added by KyoAni. Only a very small portion of Chapter 6, which was the flashback, was included. Now this is getting me worried. With 12 episodes left, they have to make sure they adapt the 12 remaining chapters perfectly. Slightly felt like a waste of an episode to some extent. In what order they will adapt the chapters is yet another problem they will have to solve.

The new characters they added, Erica and Iris, felt more like a bad addition to me. They're making it harder for themselves by reducing focus on the other characters who are clearly more relevant and interesting, especially Hodgins and Cattleya.

yet it was so much better than the first episode, if an adaptation does things right it doesn't have to be a copy of the source
Jan 18, 2018 8:38 AM
Aug 2015

Major_Gilbert said:
Finally someone who agrees with my point. Honestly, they could've just followed the novel the way it is and it would've been much better, without adding the new characters.

Yeah, the novel wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it a lot and KyoAni should have adapted it as it was. I don't understand why they needed to add these extra characters (who are not interesting by the way).
I'm also disappointed for the visuals because it's sad they didn't make the anime with the novels PVs quality. Free! and Hibike! Euphonium were more beautiful according to me. I'm not saying that's not beautiful, but we're in 2018, and there are lots of anime with better visuals than this so I'm not impressed.
I wasn't expecting much knowing that KyoAni would make changes but it seems this is just going to be an average show while it could have so much better considering the source material.
Jan 18, 2018 9:19 AM

Jul 2017
Not really bad nor really good for now. Let's see how it goes.

Jan 2013
That letter, just LOL. I can't believe nobody proof read it before sending it out. Loving this so far.

Aug 2014
The animation is still amazing but i didn't get the flirty scene tho, So are those 2 like married? what did she mean by "Just because you wanted a girl"?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 18, 2018 9:28 AM

Jan 2015
GangsterCat said:
Xenocrisi said:
Just because you lack critical thinking, doesn't mean others are same.
Maybe you should start listing the good thing about this anime instead like visual, visual... wait, the visual isnt' even that good, chunibyo is better.

Did I even say “the visuals are so good”? I said that the anime is innocent and pure. You know you’re just hating on it if you say things I didn’t even say.
I’ve watched enough anime to be able to criticize an anime, and you know what? I don’t care pointing out flaws, I know this anime has some flaws, I noticed that, but I just want to enjoy 20 minutes of my life instead of saying “oh wow this is so bad, so bad that I will now go and tell other people who are enjoying this anime how bad this episode was, listing all the flaws this anime has”
This is probably what you’re doing and I’m not interested in your hobby. You don’t like it? Nice, but don’t quote my post
XenocrisiJan 18, 2018 9:31 AM
Jan 18, 2018 9:35 AM
Nov 2017
I liked this episode, and enjoyed it more than the first, the first did a good job at introductions so we got to see more of Violet's inner struggle.

And as having people dislike or disagree with you, the Dolls' came around to help at the end, and was encouraging. These characters have layers and aren't vanilla, and I am sure we will see the layers in the coming episodes.
The visuals at times were fantastic, and the small nuances in the characters really stood out.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens when Violet learns the truth.
Jan 18, 2018 9:36 AM

Sep 2011
Violet Evergarden continues to deliver! This episode felt a lot longer than 24 minutes in the best way, I'm just sad to see so much hate for it... but I guess I can understand it, it's not for everyone. It's become pretty clear that if you can't stand slow pacing, then this show isn't for you, an episode feeling way longer than it is, even if it's for all the right reasons, just won't sit well with a lot of people.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Jan 18, 2018 9:37 AM
Jan 2017
The main story of this episode, and possibly of the entire series, is that Violet doesn't understand the subtleness and complexities of human emotions that are required for being a Doll after spending a lifetime in the military, a job that requires logical thinking. Cattleya is right; humans are biased and complex emotional beings that sometimes react badly to cold, harsh truths. Iris and Erica shape up to be interesting foils to Violet. Also, Claudia and Cattleya's conversations apparently confirms that the Major died, which does explain Claudia's behavior in the previous episode.
Jan 18, 2018 9:40 AM
Apr 2016
Hibikase said:
Like wtf was KyoAni THINKING? This CM is obviously not representative of what the show is about. Why couldn't they have took a more conservative approach with the show's promotion by showing a more muted depiction of the show as a pensive character piece instead of some sort of dramatic action/romance show like a sparkly glittery FMA:B?

What I am saying is that the backlash this show is receiving right now IS deserved because of KyoAni's poor decisions for presenting the show before release as something that it is CLEARLY not.

Tottaly agreed with you my friend. Kyoani sold it wrong. I think this has amazing potencial, but is more about contemplation, dialogue and character than action, overwhelming drama and tears. It's closer from Mahoutsukai (an anime that I am still waiting surprise me) than a modern FMAB (hype, action and philosophy). Still have great expectations over Violet, it's a good show but more slow pacing; but Kyoani deserves the negative backlash they are recieving.
Jan 18, 2018 10:22 AM

Sep 2013
It gives me the feeling that hodgins might be gilbert but I doubt it.
Violet getting used to the typesetting and gets her brooch back, erica finds her passion for writing back.
Jan 18, 2018 10:40 AM

Jul 2017
I blame the trailers Kyoani put out giving people the wrong expectations, but people need to realize that this show is a drama/romance show. And as a result it's going to be slow paced and boring for some people. Like many have said, the sheer amount of hype this show was getting was bound to lead to a backlash. But at this point some of the complaints are just silly.
Jan 18, 2018 10:54 AM

Apr 2016
Another great episode...So Gilbert is dead :( When I think of the moment when Violet will know and will learn what his words meant :( :(

Whoa so many hate it (definitely FMA fans who try to prevent this anime to take 1st place)

Jan 18, 2018 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
joshua10red said:
Another great episode...So Gilbert is dead :( When I think of the moment when Violet will know and will learn what his words meant :( :(

Whoa so many hate it (definitely FMA fans who try to prevent this anime to take 1st place)

Just because they say he's gone doesn't necessarily mean he's dead.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 18, 2018 11:06 AM

May 2016
The only scene that was good was the one at the ending the others were plain boring listening to those other staff members they should have focused more on Violet.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

619 by NubFix »»
Yesterday, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2018

319 by NubFix »»
Yesterday, 6:11 AM

» I think my life will be complete once i see a violet evergarden live action.

mrjdko - Apr 27

32 by Lewa0077 »»
May 1, 10:53 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.