Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 16, 2008 12:01 AM
Nov 2007
I don't really want to sound too negative, but I'm afraid it can't be helped. I'm rather disappointed in the selection of MegaTen-related anime. The original Megami Tensei OVA was pretty boring to watch, but I could forgive its short-comings due to its age and the fact that it even predates the very first game. Tokyo Revelation, in my opinion, was total garbage. As for the currently airing Persona: Trinity Soul, well, it's watchable, but I must admit that I wouldn't even bother with it if it didn't have "Persona" in the title, and not to sound too much like a fanboy, but where the hell is Jack Frost (or any other common MegaTen demon/persona for that matter)? That Persona 2 anime that was previewed actually looked pretty cool, but I guess it was never meant to be. I can't really comment on Devil Children since I've never seen it, and it's a branch series that I have no interest in.

Anyway, I think the SMT universe could lend itself well to an incredibly badass anime. But my verdict so far is that it just hasn't been done. What are everyone else's thoughts on the matter?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 16, 2008 12:17 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
There never was a Persona 2 anime, just animated cut scenes in the game and the little trailer type bonus from the bonus disk. It was never meant to be more then that.

I thought the Megami Tensei anime was alright, nothing great, but pretty typical of the time period it was made.

Tokyo Revelation, I have to agree was utter garbage. I kind of like the music in it, but that is no saving factor to it. It's just crap.

The Persona anime, I've watch the first episode and it was ok. I like mystery, so I'll probably watch it all. I just need to get back into watching anime (I'm on a manga phase right now).

So, yes it would be cool, if there was some better anime related to SMT. But I don't think it will happen. Most video game related anime is the pure suck. The only ones I can think were half decent were the Fatal Fury ones and even then, they were not that great.
Mar 16, 2008 1:40 AM
Nov 2007
Brand said:
There never was a Persona 2 anime, just animated cut scenes in the game and the little trailer type bonus from the bonus disk. It was never meant to be more then that.

Really? Weird, I always thought that trailer was for a canceled OVA or something. But then again, I never researched it that much.
May 26, 2008 12:05 AM

Sep 2007
SMT anime? Well I am watching Persona, It's pretty good I like it.. as for the others I never seen em, or even knew..

Can any of ya lead me to where I can find them, although it seems like they don't sound so interesting to ya, it's still related to SMT, I can't call myself a SMT fan without checking the anime out ya know.
May 26, 2008 8:05 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
The one is called Tokyo Revelations and came out from Manga Video a few years back. You can pick it up really cheap on DVD all over the net.

The Megami Tensei anime, has a fan sub out there but you will have to look for it.
May 27, 2008 7:06 PM

Dec 2007
I thought the Megami Tensei OVA was alright, nothing too impressive or awe inspiring, but good. Tokyo Revelation was pretty bad, I have to agree with you all there, I do however really like Trinity Soul. Unfortunately due to my massive backlog of games, I've dropped it for now. >_>
Apr 1, 2009 10:41 PM

Oct 2008
It'd be nice if they make a Nocturne anime adaptation in the form of an ova..
Apr 17, 2009 8:59 PM

Jan 2009

Totally agree, thou I think even trinity soul was a rather failure. It kinda lacked or did mediocre in everything, except! The soundtrack really kicked ass! :P Lotus Juice ftw!
Jun 4, 2009 5:04 PM

Oct 2008
Trinity Soul was pretty good, unless you compare it with the original Persona series. As an anime, Trinity Soul was awesome. However, if you make it as part of the series alongside the games, then lots of elements are missing, not mentioning that there were a lack of battles. Kanzato Ryou was supposed to take the place of Akihiro from P3 yet he ran away from battles more often than fight, its kind of lame..

Trinity Soul got too focused on the Whale's Feather, a fairy-tale book that was never mentioned in any other Persona series, however..
Oct 27, 2015 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
I actually thought the Megami Tensei Anime (the 80s very first one) was a-ok, the issue was probably the execution of using something like a "montage" method of explaining the entire set up of the story (with other nitpicks such as bad 80s synthesis sound cluster-f and Main Female Lead not given H-Tier nekkid Shower scene like come on be fair a little.) but after reading the Character profiles and reading more about the literature of the entire story, it's actually imo a personal top darkhorse material for "this is why animu/Japan/rpg/ anything from nippon rising sun was Top Kek/GOAT/OG Badass material(and if not mistaken, the ending of this first MT series cause the entire SMT and Persona universe to exist is sweet icing on more Kek)."

The fact that the MC Nakajima is anything but "heroic" is already very welcoming and from the 80s as well when the whole deal was about just Anti-heroes, Nakajima is straight up "Villain" MC role who slowly gains a bit of a conscience. Gotta love how evilz cool MC got rid of the jackass bully bastard and it's horrid bitch with it like the scum of the earth that deserved what they get (after reading more the background story online), secondly absolute boss that MC is literally running the school like his own personal funhouse lab and gettin the lady sensei to follow whatever he orders on her like good little slave. Yumiko wasn't too bad imo again, she actually looks if Mio from K-ON and getting a bit more backbone as the anime story progress (her seiyuu was also nicely choosen).
Jun 4, 2017 10:09 AM

Mar 2016
i want Smt 4 and Smt 4 apocalypse/final to be aired as anime and i want it to be done in a movie style like with some movies...in the same way as evangelion is aired..what do you think guys
Apr 5, 2021 12:53 AM
Apr 2021
A7azel said:
i want Smt 4 and Smt 4 apocalypse/final to be aired as anime and i want it to be done in a movie style like with some movies...in the same way as evangelion is aired..what do you think guys

A IV anime would be nice as hell. Problem is the variety of endings but an opened end is always an option and the rest of the story could be well adapted. Same with games as Strange Journey or Nocturne. They could be very good anime movie series. But for some reason, they haven't want to explore the possibilty. I'm in tho.
Oct 3, 2022 6:23 PM
Dec 2017
devil survivor 2 could have been good had it not been rushed imo

Jun 7, 2023 8:16 AM

Apr 2023
I've watched them not too long ago and i found it them ok, but still an smt anime in the style of edgerunners i think would have been awesome.

Dec 11, 2023 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
Imagine if Devil Children got localized and not pokemon that would have been hilarious lmao.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Games

Kira01 - May 20, 2009

1 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 8, 2023 6:19 PM

» Strange Journey

Kira01 - Aug 25, 2009

1 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 7, 2023 4:54 PM

Poll: » Favorite Series

Kira01 - Aug 6, 2009

9 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 7, 2023 9:25 AM

» Megaten Collection!

SlyStrife - Mar 11, 2008

14 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 7, 2023 8:14 AM

Poll: » Which Persona Game is your favorite?

Brand - Mar 7, 2008

23 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 1, 2023 12:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.