Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2017 5:38 AM

Jun 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This year's instalment returns the spotlight to the beta couple Heiji and Kazuha, after a fourteen year break since Movie 7 in 2003. It also marks the first animated appearance of Ooka Momiji, a high school karuta champion who proclaims Heiji as her husband-to-be.

Compared to Movie 20, Movie 21 is much less action-driven and actually featured a decent case for once in recent years. The romance sub-plot predictably did not bring any closure, but it still provided plenty of nice moments of Heiji and Kazuha together. The only real problem I have with this movie is its portrayal of karuta, the overarching theme for this movie. Perhaps I lacked the necessary cultural knowledge to understand, but I felt that its portrayal is incredibly rushed. Nevertheless, it is still a fantastic movie and is great for viewers who prefer more mystery than action, and even more so for Heiji and Kazuha fans.
May 25, 2017 6:55 AM

Feb 2010
Not bad, I like this movie.
May 30, 2017 2:58 PM

Jan 2014
Lovely movie, very Conan-ish. In comparison to most of the other movies, we got just very little Ran x Shin moments, but rather a big focus on Heiji and Kazuha again. They are just such a funny pair to watch because of their tsundere moments. There were lots of funny scenes in general, mainly running gags, it was a lot of fun to watch.

Like in all Conan movies, the action is pretty much over the top, with all the skateboard/motorcycle stunts. Conan accelerating on his skateboard on the huge TV satellite was great xD As much as I loved the action scenes though, after the 3rd time it felt kind of overused.

The mystery in this movie seemed lackluster to me, some things seemed too easy to find out and with others they didn't even bother to make a mystery out of, though it still had some nice twists here and there.

The karuta theme had a nice touche to it, Chihayafuru prepared me quite well for this. Otherwise it probably would have been very confusing. I had to explain to my friend what the point of the game is while we watched the movie.

Momiji was of course very annoying with the whole promise thing, but Kazuha was really nice in this movie besides the tsundere and the jealousy moments. Her relating to that card was kind of cute.
May 31, 2017 12:09 AM

May 2016
I watched the movie on Mai 30 in Graz/Austria and i liked it very much.
After having a rather long pause from Detective Conan i might consider watching it again, though i forgot what episode i was on xD
Hi
Jun 10, 2017 5:00 AM
Apr 2014
Typical Conan movie with all the explosions and escape stunts (3 times!!). It was almost like this was directed by Michael Bay. I usually like Conan Movies, but this will go into one of my least favorite ones. Like the half-assed romance part, plot an mystery is bland.
Jun 21, 2017 9:24 AM
May 2015
Who's the culprit?
Jul 14, 2017 4:05 AM

Nov 2007
The case for this movie involves around a famous Karuta association in the west of Japan (Forgot Kyoto or Osaka, but I'm sure it's Kyoto).
tsubasaloverJul 14, 2017 4:47 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 3, 2017 7:51 PM
Mar 2015
I have high expectations and become very hyped about the DC movies every year because of the trailers/PVs and theme (Kaito Kid, BO, Rum, Kazuha & Heiji love story). For me, the gem of DC movies is the interesting mysteries, twists & thrilling actions and solutions. But movie 19 and 20 betrayed my expectations due to the bland mysteries (predictable criminals), and also how the action scenes becomes more exaggerated year by year. But this year's movie was alright, better than movie 19 & 20 in my opinion, still didn't live up to my hype, but it had some interesting & cute moments.

(For some reason I was very happy to see the chipmunk detective, Ayanokouji from Kyoto again. I realised that he has the same voice as Subaru during the movie.)

Even though my expectations are being betrayed for the last few years, yet I am still hyped about movie 22, cuz it's going to be about Furuya (the DC movie people sure know how to hook DC fans). Hopefully movie 22 wouldn't betray my expectations, fingers crossed.
--Tsubasa--Sep 3, 2017 7:58 PM
Sep 5, 2017 9:20 AM
May 2015
So the culprit was Satsuki Achiwa?
Oct 1, 2017 5:31 PM

May 2008
Eh. The first half felt incredibly rushed which I didn't care (even the reason was meh). The second, and more mystery-based half, was okay. I kinda felt like if one tried hard enough the culprit wasn't too hard to figure (heck, I tend to not bother with doing so and I almost figured it out). The action is pretty over the top especially with all the bombs; that's what 3 recent movies that used bombs so heavily? I didn't care for the romantic subplot, either. Why does it feel like this is the only theme they use when Kazuha and Heiji are the focus? I know that all Ran and Shinichi tend to be, but at least there's an excuse there.

What I did like: Heiji mentioning how he was tired of the dramatic escapes (love this guy), the use of technology to figure out certain hints rather than relying on Conan being a super-genius, the reduced usage of Ran blubbering about/for Shinichi, the beauty of Kyoto in fall, Heiji's mom...
That's pretty much it.

Well, at least, Heiji's bike got top billing this time around.
Oct 13, 2017 5:10 AM

Sep 2015
Oh yeah its a movie its feel like watching normal episode of Conan here.
Into the Internet!
Oct 20, 2017 7:59 PM

Mar 2012
Sasuga Conan movie intense as usual. The best moment would be the last one where Heiji told Kazuha to hold on him. Also love Oouka Momiji addition to the cast. I see her in the manga before this movie and she become nice addition because she also have brain to back her up.

Anyway I think the sub take this long because the sub-er need to researce on their karuta terminology first lol.

Also next would be about Bourbon/Rei/Amuro/Zero. Would be great if there are a flashback between him and Date Wataru.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 21, 2017 1:18 AM

Jan 2008
From Chronological order of my thoughts about the movie:

For a karuta player, you'd think the guy that got whacked would have faster reflexes to grab the still sheathed sword in the perpetrator's hand, or the hand itself and put up a bit of struggle; it's not like the the sword was raised overhead before the door opened.

Apparently Conan's email address is the_sign_of_four@Potmail.cam...don't know if that's supposed to mean anything. I wonder if Conan remembered Ai's request for souvenirs.

It wouldn't be a Detective Conan Movie without at least a bomb or two somewhere, because when you do over 20 movies for the same series, it's inevitable they'll reuse and recycle, be it plot points or background character designs to save the hassle of using unique background characters.

The expression of everyone having skeletons in the closet was a little more truer in this movie than other times. I can't even remember the last time this series had actual skeletons. A little bit macabre.
That Nagoro guy...took me a while but I just realized that his name could also mean "Beaten (to death)" with Nagurareta (beaten or hit)+Gorosh or Koroshi (kill) making Nagoro...which had a double reference,
This show and it's puns.

What a bastard that real culprit was, knowingly intending to kill two innocent people that he had nothing against...not that his crimes of actual murders/domestic terrorism was any less or anything. After he cryptically apologized to the two, and set the place ablaze right before the match began, he was definitely fully planning on taking those two along with him to the grave.

Well that was a fun movie. A bit over the top, but that's the usual suspension of disbelief bridge that needs to be crossed with each Michael Bay Detective Conan movie. The skateboarding on the giant satellite dish to sling himself off into the river was pretty cool, and probably the most unique thing this show has put out in terms of escaping from an explosion aside from simply leaping out of the way and somehow coming out unscathed.

I hope to see more of Ooka Momiji in the anime...hopefully she'll become a foil to Kazuha and force one of the two love-birds to finally confess to the other. Speaking of shipping, I also want to see Sonoko move on with her crush with Makoto as that's been pretty damn slow progress if not stagnant.

Coelestin said:

The karuta theme had a nice touche to it, Chihayafuru prepared me quite well for this. Otherwise it probably would have been very confusing. I had to explain to my friend what the point of the game is while we watched the movie.

Thank goodness for that existing, otherwise I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie nearly as much and be confused for the vast majority of it.
Oct 22, 2017 12:40 AM

Jul 2012
As expected, I really loved it! I love Karuta and I love Heiji so this was a perfect mix for me. The mystery part was a bit confusing. They dropped a lot of info later on. I really do like that plot twist (Satsuki being his first love). The action was pretty legit. I liked the first bomb scene more than the last one tbh. Especially Conan saving Heiji and Kazuha. I cried multiple times in this movie, it just hits me hard. Agreed with above post, I want to see Momiji in the Anime more. She's badass and fun.

Also, I love Chihayafuru.

8/10

starocean1998 said:
So the culprit was Satsuki Achiwa?
Yes
Oct 22, 2017 7:56 AM
Jul 2011
Without over the top action, cheep sport drama and Momiji's annoyances this would be a nice anime original DC story.
Kind of better then DC Movie 20 but I like DC Movie 19 more.
And I like Momiji and her bodyguard better in the manga. There her rich-bitch attitude is entertaining but here she was just annoying.
Oct 24, 2017 3:22 AM

Jul 2011
Not best DC movie, but much better than most of them.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 26, 2017 4:51 PM

Feb 2014
It was okay, I guess. The action scenes were the best parts of the movie, and I actually liked Momiji.
Can't wait for Movie 22, it'll have many Amuro scenes <3
dolly94Oct 26, 2017 4:54 PM
Nov 6, 2017 9:14 PM
Dec 2014
Couldn't even finish it. Too many animation errors + inconsistencies, and it was difficult to understand the movie's gimmick. I knew nothing about karuta going in, which Conan is usually good about: didn't know anything about Aegis destroyers going into Private Eye or much about Gogh before Sunflowers. Pretty disappointed, I had been waiting for a Heiji-centric movie for way too long and it didn't deliver for me.
Nov 12, 2017 9:03 AM
Apr 2013
I'm very surprised this movie is getting so much love. I found it to be one of the worst DC movies in a while. The mystery was boring, regardless of whether you knew Karuta. You could see a lot of the plot twists coming from a mile away. It felt like a mystery they could have told in the anime with 2 episodes. The heavy focus on Heiji and Kazuha was completely unnecessary. Any DC fan knows that their romance was never going to develop in any meaningful way in any movie. As usual, the action scenes were also longer than they need to be. The animation was also sub-par. It was particularly disappointing considering some of the other movies have done a much better animation job. The only other movies I can think of that were worse are The Raven Hunter, and The Last Wizard of the Century
Nov 22, 2017 3:47 AM

Jan 2016
Ah, it's about Heiji and Kazuha. Well, that was a good movie.

Announcement on the next movie. I think that will be something like Terrorist or involves in bomb.

Nov 22, 2017 2:29 PM

Jan 2009
The movie was pretty good but the pacing was awful, It's too long and yet too rushed! Also something was off about the directing of some scenes.
The case was not bad I guess, but the tragic truth behind it was ruined by the pacing.
Anyway the music was pretty good, especoally that ending, and overall the movie was way better than the previous one, also that teaser at the end was interesting, I'm looking forward to the next movie.
Dec 1, 2017 12:25 PM

Feb 2013
Momiji annoyed me a lot, but I loved the story of the movie and the action scenes.
Dec 4, 2017 6:26 AM

Jul 2009
Movie plot was meh, too much exaggerated action, the case and the solution was bad also. Sigh, they should focus on the case more..

However, I like the setting of this movie, Kyoto in fall + Karuta are beautiful setting. ED song is dope too, wayy better than few last movies
Dec 20, 2017 3:15 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Ok movie ruined by stupid motive behind murder again. The stupid "I accidentally killed the one who actually love me" thing that creates artificial and unrealistic "tragedies"
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 17, 2018 1:05 PM

May 2013
Boring movie, one of the worst DC movies in a while, no wonder it not got many discussions.

Animation quality looks poorer and rushed too .

Mar 2, 2018 12:11 AM
Jan 2015
I think this case was quite interesting
or may be I should say the setting of case of this movie
at least better than recent movie

It has some twist , which was good
But I wish they will tone down the unnecessary action with skateboard
like Heiji said , I think it represent most of recent movie -watcher
I forget what it is , but basically Heiji said ," I begin of tired of this dramatic escape things"

I prefer if they do it like the first- tenth or such movie
the action at that movie was not flashy like this skateboard things , but was very good
only things like bomb -disarming , outwitting killer ,something like that
Mar 4, 2018 9:48 PM
Jan 2018
I don’t know what happened to Detective Conan films but this is arguably the weakest film in the series, scenes rushing from one to the next, with no breathing room for audience to consume all the information that are thrown at them. The screenplay feels unreal and artificial. The new characters are bland and uninteresting. And the three kids once again served as filler characters that provide nothing significant. Following the formulaic writing like most Detective Conan plots, the culprit learns of his mistake and regret his actions, a romantic flavouring that never gets anywhere, Detective Conan writers once again also prove to us that Conan is slowly becoming less of a detective but more of a stuntman. And for me, the worst thing about Detective Conan films like this one is that it has lost basic cinematic tone and value, the film and production quality feels more like TV episodes joined together. If this is really the direction DC films are heading towards. I won’t be surprised when it starts to lose its image.
Oct 19, 2018 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
Overall, I really like the TV series better than the movies, because they have so much unnecessary action in them and the show's focus is more on the crimes.
Dec 18, 2018 9:54 AM
May 2018
Weirdest Yu-Gi-Oh episode I've ever seen.
Jul 23, 2022 10:40 PM

Jan 2016
I think it was an ok movie. What I hated the most was the towards the end when the tower was falling. It’s like they cut out all the action animation and put super closeup scenes. I couldn’t tell wtf was going half the time. Felt like a PowerPoint presentation.
Anyways I like Momiji because she ain’t afraid to tell her feelings like it is, unlike the rest of the cast.

Jun 12, 2023 5:53 PM

Jan 2012
Going in I was a bit skeptical regarding how much mileage I'd get out of this particular film. I'm not exactly the biggest karuta enthusiast, having never played it for obvious reasons. Plus while I like their relationship well enough, I'm pretty neutral regarding the Heiji x Kazuha romance in general. But I gotta say I think they pulled it off pretty well. This was another one of those where a gut instinct proved right and I actually predicted the true culprit fairly early on, but I didn't see the deeper connection and a grin of satisfaction formed on my face during the climactic reveal. I also appreciated its relation to the love theme going on. When you think about it everything in this one was built on that, the entire plot I mean. The new character Momiji played a foil to Kazuha fairly well even if we'll almost certainly never see her again, and I enjoyed seeing Heiji's mother in what was probably her largest role in the franchise to date. The movie's not perfect of course. At some point I thought this might prove to be that rare film where Haibara doesn't show up at all, but no, they really shoe-horned in her inclusion along with Agasa's mandatory quiz schtick. I think the franchise would live if they dropped them for a movie, maybe even the Detective Boys too. Hell, Sonoko largely sat this one out. By far the most glaringly bad thing in this were the numerous crowd shots with the cheap, bad looking CGI background character models. I get it saves money but really, these never look any good. Conan's stunts are only getting more and more ridiculous. I think even the staff is aware of it though since they had him fail the skateboard one on his own this time, opting to have Heiji save him as a sort of quid pro quo for saving him earlier. Complaints aside I still found myself more or less satisfied by the end. And yeah, the Heiji x Kazuha romance may have stalled for the sake of status quo, but it was still pretty cute too. Solid 7/10. Near the end I considered a generous 8, but I'll keep it at 7.

More topics from this board

» Did you guys watch the movie recently?

yying0303 - Sep 3, 2017

6 by Mayuka »»
Oct 22, 2017 12:41 AM

» Detective Conan Movie 21 - Teaser HD + visual

AllenVonStein - Nov 26, 2016

22 by Ran17 »»
May 13, 2017 7:21 AM

» Detective Conan Movie 21 official PV

AllenVonStein - Mar 11, 2017

0 by AllenVonStein »»
Mar 11, 2017 4:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.