Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2017 12:18 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Final part of the movie trilogy. As I had expected, they had Juliana and the others mount their attack. I'm not too surprised that they gave Juliana lot of spotlight for her fight.

Shuza's actions this episode against Darkness surprised me a little.

The final battle between Aram and Yuri was also inevitable too, only that the others also came to Aram's help. Pretty predictable fight in the end. Darkness was the Yuri's own enemy and he overcame it. Overall, this movie was average to me. Everything was really generic and storytelling felt predictable from almost start to finish.

I did like Aram's role overall in this as my favorite character. Rejoice victory~
Feb 24, 2017 1:53 PM

Feb 2014
As the game player, my hunger is not fulfilled.

悲しい… 悲しいわ…
今日のこと、「お月さま」にも教えてあげないと。
あなたも… 私 “たち” の中に… 取り込んであげる。
Feb 25, 2017 1:09 AM
Feb 2008
I would love to see more Yuri x Phoena, but well...
Feb 25, 2017 4:16 AM

Dec 2014
well that was a good adaption... enjoyed the ending....
Feb 25, 2017 6:25 AM

Nov 2013
It was fun to watch, but that's all.

Also Shuza seemed about 10 times stronger than anyone in this show...
Feb 25, 2017 6:40 AM
May 2016
I was disappointed how Juliana never got to look all that good, Brukharto or whatever his name is was kicking her ass every time and only lost in the end because he stood there and let her kill him, she also seemed to need to be saved more than anyone else and hid behind Aram when he was fighting the construct girl etc. Shuza looked so much better than her most of the time that it seemed unbelievable for her to be stalemating him when they both went berserk, maybe that's the only time she can fight at full power lol.

PurpleJaeden said:

Also Shuza seemed about 10 times stronger than anyone in this show...

True, he never had as much trouble compared to others and killed the demon girl who was one of the Black King's generals effortlessly lol.
gluttonFeb 25, 2017 8:07 AM
Feb 25, 2017 7:00 AM

Aug 2013
Mistralist said:
As the game player, my hunger is not fulfilled.
I feel the same
dunno why, is it because the entirely new storyline or Aram & his bullshit power (there's no explain to it)
Feb 25, 2017 7:50 AM

Sep 2016
did she just sealed the malevolence with the power of boobs? lol
this final clash and ending lacks impact, even by generic fantasy story standard.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 25, 2017 8:32 AM

Dec 2015
Good action with sometimes too visible 3DCGI charas, weird for a finale (it was overall less apparent in the previous movies).
Average in everything else. Where is the "epic" nature typical of this kind of grand scale H-F story gone?
I didn't welcome the choice made for the final ennemy: a three forms boss assuming a human form, a giant monster one and finally becoming a monstrous humanoid. Of course, I should have come prepared since I knew I was watching a japanese video RPG based anime, and this genre is full of this.

Enjoyment: 3/5
Score: 6/10 Mediocre but enough to warrant a good show, maybe more for the game fans (thanks to the fan-service)

Question: was there supposed to be some story about the past of the Black King's female general? It looked like it was hinting at something without actually telling anything. Was she somehow related to the Oni people? Was she lead to taint by a betrayal?

edit @Nayout: Thank you.
Rei_IIIFeb 25, 2017 11:36 AM
Feb 25, 2017 10:34 AM

Sep 2015
Rei366 said:

Question: was there supposed to be some story about the past of the female general? It looked like it was hinting at something without actually telling anything. Was she somehow related to the Oni people? Was she lead to taint by a betrayal?

Eirenus lost all his comrades in combat and for this very reason he became a demon, before killing her in canonical history mentions this:

"Mark, Tony, Ilya...! They're all dead! I don't need a world without them! "
" I'll destroy it! I'll destroy this world! Everything is a lie! "
" So I'll destroy it and reset everything. Why do you stand in my way?

With reset it refers to the fact that if the Black King manages to destroy everything Yggdra will be reborn

I ended up in love with the 3 movies although I had some doubts about certain things that could be affected in this new route.
Feb 25, 2017 11:35 AM

Nov 2007
More IN songs from Naobou? And it seems like the song (Character song) is included in OST. Also TV ED used for victory song.
http://chronicle-anime.com/news/170224_3.php

"Overcoming / Accepting weakness / mistake"? did I see it somewhere else, too? And realizing name of Aram guy's power being the title of the anime.

lol @ pink hair lady part of ending, so cute and funny.
tsubasaloverFeb 25, 2017 9:55 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 25, 2017 11:50 AM

Apr 2014
I think as a fan of the game. It did a nice job. Though it still had its' problems I think I had with it to the very end.
Feb 25, 2017 7:13 PM
Jan 2011
I thought these movies were very good. Chain Chronicle movies fully satisfied me.

They weren't mind-blowing or particularly complex on any level, but they largely avoided the cliches poisoning most of the works like this. I also don't think this show is mediocre. Not in quality or design overall. Show me an epic like this if you can. The most similar I can think of is Shingeki no Bahamut and while I enjoyed that one very much as well, it was much more cliche and in particular more popcorn than this. And small in scale. In comparison Chain offers broader universe, richer settings, more believable and consistent characters personalities.

Did I mention that I love when ep1 throws us right in the thick of things? How liberating it feels when there is no BS power lvl commentaries, character introductions boring you from the very first minute, drama expressed solely by amount of screaming, characters "hiding" their "true" power or intentions for the sake of drama, twists and pointless escalations, no hypocrisy and so on. I invite anyone to continue listing more examples as a mental exercise.

Chain Chronicles is far from perfect, but its lack of serious problems more than puts it above the majority of the crap out there. The fact that the concept of "darkness" and "light" was abused by mindless works over and over does not mean it has lost its effect and must be avoided. While Chain remains in its core an idealistic tale, it does tackle interesting subjects of acceptance, trust, team spirit, envy, selfishness, learning to live with oneself and so on. And it often handles them gently, knowing what it is doing.

In my opinion, the best character was Yuri, for he dealt with the most complex issues. Another good one would be Juliana, it's rare to see a strong queen character, who struggles to find resolve and belief in herself. I didn't like Burckhardt as a person (although I admired his pure heart), but I like how a side-character managed to make such a great impact on the story and I am fond of his case - loyal knight struggling with devotion to a person he admires, but not selfless enough to be able to go on unrewarded. He was a good man, but not measuring up to his own ideals and unfortunate enough to admire someone, who has no time to spare for attending to him personally. If he was just forward with his feelings then perhaps things would turn out better for him. I also liked Eirenus, shame she didnt get any screen time.

PS: Juliana playing cupid in the epilogue was just too cute.

@Stark700
I wonder how Aram ended up being your favourite character, because for me he was the absolute least favourite. He wasn't insufferable, but still far too close to other similar protagonists (think Natsu Dragoneel or Usumaki Naruto), who (while having some interesting aspects) perpetuate some of the worst character traits ever thought out, such as idiocy, subborness (mistaken for strong will) and childishness in general. Character does not have to be childish to have potential for development, nor is development actually necessary. Aram as a character has added nothing to this show except serve as a catalyst for revitalizing the spirit of the good guy team, which could be done in much more efficient ways. Anyone with knowledge of the game, please enlighten me if I am wrong.
Feb 26, 2017 5:09 PM

Oct 2012
I enjoyed it for the most part. A shame they didn't quite explain the Light of Haecceitas that Aram started using.
Overall it wasn't special but as a mostly anime only watcher (I played the game but only briefly), I think it did alright.
Shame there was no Yuri x Phoena finale, but we got to see some nice epilogue-esque scenes during nano's great ED. Already have this single from nano and from Nao Touyama. Both are filled with excellent songs imo. I've been a fan of nano since M3's ED 'sable', and through these movies I got to hear Nao Touyama and have become a huge fan of her works.

Also

Decent watch with a very satisfying conclusion. Pirika's return was pretty heartwarming too. All in all it was a good watch for me, and one of the better game based anime definitely.
sspit said:

Yeah that was pretty fun to watch, seeing her smile like that was really cute, and then she ran away like a mischievous kid playing a prank xD
I also cut out the rest of your post but I agreed with all of it. I think it did a solid job for the story and circumstances around the game. I appreciated it, and loved what it did with Yuri's burden from his bonds. I too think it handled the subject matter very well.
gust11Feb 26, 2017 5:18 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Feb 27, 2017 6:35 AM

Feb 2014
sspit said:
I thought these movies were very good. Chain Chronicle movies fully satisfied me.

They weren't mind-blowing or particularly complex on any level, but they largely avoided the cliches poisoning most of the works like this. I also don't think this show is mediocre. Not in quality or design overall. Show me an epic like this if you can. The most similar I can think of is Shingeki no Bahamut and while I enjoyed that one very much as well, it was much more cliche and in particular more popcorn than this. And small in scale. In comparison Chain offers broader universe, richer settings, more believable and consistent characters personalities.

Did I mention that I love when ep1 throws us right in the thick of things? How liberating it feels when there is no BS power lvl commentaries, character introductions boring you from the very first minute, drama expressed solely by amount of screaming, characters "hiding" their "true" power or intentions for the sake of drama, twists and pointless escalations, no hypocrisy and so on. I invite anyone to continue listing more examples as a mental exercise.

Chain Chronicles is far from perfect, but its lack of serious problems more than puts it above the majority of the crap out there. The fact that the concept of "darkness" and "light" was abused by mindless works over and over does not mean it has lost its effect and must be avoided. While Chain remains in its core an idealistic tale, it does tackle interesting subjects of acceptance, trust, team spirit, envy, selfishness, learning to live with oneself and so on. And it often handles them gently, knowing what it is doing.

In my opinion, the best character was Yuri, for he dealt with the most complex issues. Another good one would be Juliana, it's rare to see a strong queen character, who struggles to find resolve and belief in herself. I didn't like Burckhardt as a person (although I admired his pure heart), but I like how a side-character managed to make such a great impact on the story and I am fond of his case - loyal knight struggling with devotion to a person he admires, but not selfless enough to be able to go on unrewarded. He was a good man, but not measuring up to his own ideals and unfortunate enough to admire someone, who has no time to spare for attending to him personally. If he was just forward with his feelings then perhaps things would turn out better for him. I also liked Eirenus, shame she didnt get any screen time.

@Stark700
I wonder how Aram ended up being your favourite character, because for me he was the absolute least favourite. He wasn't insufferable, but still far too close to other similar protagonists (think Natsu Dragoneel or Usumaki Naruto), who (while having some interesting aspects) perpetuate some of the worst character traits ever thought out, such as idiocy, subborness (mistaken for strong will) and childishness in general. Character does not have to be childish to have potential for development, nor is development actually necessary. Aram as a character has added nothing to this show except serve as a catalyst for revitalizing the spirit of the good guy team, which could be done in much more efficient ways. Anyone with knowledge of the game, please enlighten me if I am wrong.

I thought that this movie will follow the bad ending on the game at first, where Yuri have much, much more development potential than in this movie. The bad end in the game is where the Yuri turned to black knight (like in this movie), all the Volunteer Army got killed, and proceed to the next world, where he engaged fight with Yuri from that world. He wants to sacrifice next world Pirika to restore Pirika of the previous world as the will of the world there, resurrecting the previous world back to normal after the world destruction.

When Kain was stabbed on eps 6, my thought was like "This is it, it has begun!" but then it turned out unfaithful to the game story, as you have seen. Though on the TV version trailer you'll see the fight between Yuri and the Black Knight, who also holding Phoena's chronicle from the previous world, which is unused. Also, some of side characters were just mindlessly added without any significant impact to the story, like Tsuru and Lilith.

The good thing I found in this movie part is Yuni finally opened up her mouth.
MistralistFeb 27, 2017 6:47 AM

悲しい… 悲しいわ…
今日のこと、「お月さま」にも教えてあげないと。
あなたも… 私 “たち” の中に… 取り込んであげる。
Feb 27, 2017 1:30 PM
Jan 2011
@gust11
No problem, it's more effective to quote just he important part anyway.

@Mistralist
It never occurred to me that there was such thing as bad ending. Damn it, sounds rough. Dark Yuri was very underdeveloped in my opinion (or perhaps mishandled, as there was real effort to illustrate what he was going through, it's just that due to genre and trope desensitization that has been going on over the last couple of years, it fell mostly flat, amounting to "go away my evil shadow! I'm back guys!"), I'd like to see the version you speak of being made instead. Anime route was idealistic and even worse, unrealistic. I mean, if you told me Yuri was not gonna convert back, I'd be truly frustrated, (the guy really deserves his friends), but the alternative to that is just same old boring resolution that somehow makes all the bad undone in a snap. It was emotionally satisfying, I give it that. What you describe sounds more like Muv Luv to me... And I see no problem with that.

Oh and thx for the info.
Feb 27, 2017 4:47 PM

May 2015
Eh, just like the second movie, it was decent, but it wasn't anything near special. It was enjoyable for the most part, but that's it. I've lost count of how many times they've mentioned "bonds" at this point, lol.

7/10. A nice happy ending.
ReverberateFeb 27, 2017 4:51 PM

Feb 27, 2017 9:35 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Aram is the real MVP, loved that kid and I especially loved his role in this final movie

As I said before in the movie 1 thread, this was by no means anything groundbreaking but man did this movie deliver in just about every aspect that I wanted to get from it and the way this film has managed to handle it's themes, plot points and tone with each film and then conclude it was just handled very well imo

The action scenes and visuals were great as always, the music was the best in this one, everyone played an important role and the bad guys had their chances to shine but also got what was coming to them (Although I wouldn't have minded if Aram was the one to kill Sir Salty Knight Demon) that and my boy Yuri finally came to his senses

If anything, my only nitpick is that I wish that Phoena told Yuri that she loved him and vice versa but oh well, I'm sure that it was implied....Great film and great series all around and I'm hoping that Granblue can be just as good as this was next season

Also I loved how Juliana totally hooked up her step mom with her number 1 knight xDDD
TokoyaFeb 27, 2017 9:38 PM
Feb 28, 2017 4:24 AM

Nov 2013
It's sad that Yuri was tainted black but survived, Phoena tainted black yet survived, Shuza half tainted black survived till the end. Why is Burckhardt the only one who had to die in the serie ?! Eventually he got back to his human self, still died. Sad. Kain was healed and Aram had the powers to drive away the black. Yet still no use of anything when it came to Burckhardt.
soaruFeb 28, 2017 4:45 AM

Feb 28, 2017 6:18 PM
Mar 2012
Wonderful Furball, one of the better cg dragons. Besides some nice 2d stills, actually the 2d animated dragon wasn't that necessary since the cg was good enough.
Especially well done were the UBWbot vs Shuza and aerial dragons fight.
With good osts & action, it's rare for me to find a show completely boring, but here it did. Premise of losing the battle & regrouping, and dual hero was somewhat refreshing, but then the story played out flat as a plank. Few dialogues were interesting, like Juliana vs Bucket thoughts, Aram arguing with Healer & Tatoofireman were fun.
Character designs invites interest to know about them, but too many characters just appear as fan service cameos, not even talk or do anything. I only cared a bit on Aram, for his growth as the new hero, and Yuri with his mental fight. Phoena was useless except her darkness saving boobs. Pirika went on vacation until heroes got their shit together.
When Naruto saved Yuri with rasengan boosted by the power of Nakama, nice campy use of the bond theme. It wasn't clear why he got the evil rending rasengan, or the firesword which didn't appear after.
Songtress nice ref to Mirage of Macross, both dark red hair, elf ears, green/blue eyes, and those glowing runes. Wonder why she fell off like 3 times...
gophercgFeb 28, 2017 6:24 PM
Mar 7, 2017 9:20 PM

Jun 2014
As a game player, I thought the movies were well done and I enjoyed all 3! I really liked Aram and it had a great feel of nostalgia for me as I liked all the characters in the game and really do miss playing!

Overall I give the trilogy an 8/10!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Mar 12, 2017 3:59 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Very, very, but very predictable!!!
Characters wasted!! Plot comun!! for a nice quality animation!!! is a duty, could have better if the plot would have change or some suprise, but was very simple!!!

6/10.
Mar 18, 2017 8:46 AM

Jul 2014
Man Aram annoyed me soooo much in this.

Or maybe I'm just tired of watching good over evil bs. Sigh.

Jun 16, 2017 4:23 AM

Jun 2012
Those flashy actions satisfied me enough. 10/10 for that

The emotions poured in this last movie was okay and so-so. 5/10

Burkhardt's last moment gives me at least 700 words of inspiration. Overall, 8/10
Nov 10, 2020 6:03 PM
Oct 2018
what a pity Burckhardt died I liked him, i ship he with Juliana, I liked his ending the most, before he died he was human again
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.