Forum Settings
Forums

Anime protagonists that show clear mental growth as the series progresses

New
Dec 26, 2016 10:10 AM

Nov 2012
What do you think of these characters and which ones would you consider to be well-done in your opinion?
Dec 26, 2016 10:11 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Girlish Number has some of this kind, I ended it yesterday and I can guarant it's quality anime.

Dec 26, 2016 10:15 AM

Jan 2016
No problem with going from intelligent to complete badass,no problem with going from a bit stupid to a real nigga but if the mc goes from normal to fuckn retarded fuck that shit.
Dec 26, 2016 10:17 AM
Sep 2016
Eureka Seven, mc going from extrem piece of shit to piece of shit.
But there is surfing mecha so its ok.
Dec 26, 2016 10:30 AM

Jun 2015
Eh, Mental regression makes for a more interesting story anyway (albeit nobody has been able to pull that off nicely).
Dec 26, 2016 10:33 AM

Dec 2014
Obvious spoilers

Ajin: Kei goes from cold as fuck to still somewhat cold as fuck, with regret and a tiny bit of chivalry, so to say.

And in the Tokyo ghoul MANGA (woops not anime; only if), and tg:re: Kaneki goes from wimp, to edgy, to amnesiac, to suicidal, to someone who I can actually stand.

Does.. Does Shinji get development in eva? Perhaps not so much in the original series, but in the reboot he goes from wimp running away from everything, to struggling wimp trying to fix everything, but everything goes wrong anyway.
Dec 26, 2016 10:34 AM

Jul 2015
Subaru : from retard to a disgusting retard
Rem : from an emotionless maid to one of the cutest waifus in this medium
Dec 26, 2016 10:38 AM

Oct 2012
tohsakaa said:
Does.. Does Shinji get development in eva? Perhaps not so much in the original series, but in the reboot he goes from wimp running away from everything, to struggling wimp trying to fix everything, but everything goes wrong anyway.

I'd argue Shinji does have development in the original series, and it's even more illustrated in End of Evangelion.

Most viewers seem to get blind sided by "Shinji get in the robot" or "Shinji stop running away" memes so often and ignore the moments where that wasn't the case.

OT: Well, I mean, I believe most people prefer to see dynamic main characters; rarely would someone latch onto someone that stays immovable, as those types of characters tend to fade into blandness.
ShoryuDec 26, 2016 10:43 AM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 26, 2016 10:45 AM

Jan 2013
I guess ReLIFE, since it's my most recent watched anime
Dec 26, 2016 10:46 AM

Dec 2014
Shoryu said:
tohsakaa said:

I'd argue Shinji does have development in the original series, and it's even more illustrated in End of Evangelion.

Most viewers seem to get blind sided by "Shinji get in the robot" or "Shinji stop running away" memes so often and ignore the moments where that wasn't the case.

I agree that he gets development - though it isn't quite as obvious or clearly-defined. I feel like instead of development, the series does better in digging further into his already-broken psyche, instead of so much as changing it specifically. In the End of Evangelion he does get some development at the very end, but I can't say that we were given long enough to see how far that development stretched. Instead, he remains a very broken protagonist, and I prefer to see Evangelion as a study on that psyche instead of a piece based around character development.
Dec 26, 2016 10:46 AM

Sep 2016
cross ange aka the best anime ever created
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 26, 2016 10:50 AM

Sep 2012
tragedydesu said:
Subaru : from normal kid to a cringe fest 2016
Rem : from an emotionless maid to one of the cringest waifus in this medium

Here I corrected for you.

OT:Ahem Shinsekai Yori ahem.

This anime gets that right.
Dec 26, 2016 10:53 AM

Dec 2014
sasalx said:

OT:Ahem Shinsekai Yori ahem.

I feel like Shinsekai Yori was more cultural and community-development, instead of character development specifically. It was their outlook on their own culture which changed instead of/therefore their personalities or psyche.
Dec 26, 2016 10:57 AM
May 2015
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
12 kingdoms
Hunter x Hunter (Killua, not gon)
Akatsuki no yona
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2016 11:10 AM

Feb 2013
i really like Chico's development; the 3nd ova shows more of his naughty side and will not get present from Santa
Dec 26, 2016 11:17 AM

Oct 2012
tohsakaa said:
I agree that he gets development - though it isn't quite as obvious or clearly-defined. I feel like instead of development, the series does better in digging further into his already-broken psyche, instead of so much as changing it specifically. In the End of Evangelion he does get some development at the very end, but I can't say that we were given long enough to see how far that development stretched. Instead, he remains a very broken protagonist, and I prefer to see Evangelion as a study on that psyche instead of a piece based around character development.

The way I see it, Shinji only ran away once in the entire series (unless my memory is poor); rest of the time was him staying, staying because whether or not he knew it, he was making a connection between those close to him and his place in life. Very different from the Shinji that arrived in episode one, whom had no desires to be in the company of others. There were even times where he decided to be proactive instead of reactive as the series went on. Of course, certain restrictions were placed on him that prevented him from doing what he wished, though that's the thing, he had developed a will.

Being human, development doesn't exactly mean it's a straight and linear slope aiming upwards; setbacks are expected. Thus, by Episode 26 or near the end of End of Evangelion, the development stemmed from the awareness and acknowledgement of his past actions and thoughts. He never truly wanted to give up, but merely needed to see that options were present, and were always there. I believe even he was blind of his own mental growth as an individual.

Yes, no doubt there's much emphasis placed on studying the nature of these broken individuals, but in doing so, you can also see the slow and meaningful changes that finally culminated clearly into fruition by the end.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 26, 2016 11:17 AM

Jul 2015
Killua from Hunter x Hunter who went from an kid with no friends with people outside of his childhood or family and who was cold and didn't have a clear goal to someone who found compassion and has a clear goal in life now, Jotaro from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure went from some punk teen to someone who shows kindness and cares more than about being the punk that he was before, Kazuki Hoshino from Utsuro no Maria(it's a LN and not an anime but his character in the beginning and to the end is so fucking different that it still shocks me)
Sup...

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

59 by APolygons2 »»
17 seconds ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

54 by IKKIsama »»
2 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 15 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 51 minutes ago

11 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 6 minutes ago

0 by Shizuna »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.