Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 26, 2016 7:43 AM

Dec 2016
Personally i just don't get the appeal of it , what's entertaining about watching cute girls drinking tea. If you are a fan of the genre please explain why you find this entertaining
DrSexyDec 26, 2016 7:56 AM
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 26, 2016 7:46 AM

Feb 2013
2 girls drinking tea is better than watching 2 edgy guys yelling "onoreeeee" at each other
Dec 26, 2016 7:47 AM

Jun 2016
People who are not satisfied with their life can escape and watch someone else living a life they enjoy.
Dec 26, 2016 7:49 AM

Jul 2016
I like a lot of slice of life animes but that's mostly due to the other categories grouped with it. I liked Anohana, Daily lives of High School Boys, Hyouka, Gosick, I started watching A certain magical index/scientific railgun series, and many more.
Dec 26, 2016 7:50 AM

Aug 2016
I find most of the comedy funny, a lot of the characters are appealing to me and seem more realistic then all the ones in other genres, I can relate to stuff they do, I like the art styles more often than not, and overall it's pretty entertaining to me.
What else do I need?
Dec 26, 2016 7:51 AM

Mar 2016
Not all anime have slice of life genre had a scene of cute girls drinking tea.Why I think slice of life anime are entertaining is it's can release your tension and you can find some positive attribute from it.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Dec 26, 2016 7:51 AM

Aug 2008
Because it's the best opportunity where you can put loli or cute girl acting like a 5 year old even though they are supposedly grown up high school girl. Japanese otaku like it.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Dec 26, 2016 7:58 AM

Jul 2014
cause it gives u a feeling of laughter and relaxation...i guess...well..or me it is
Dec 26, 2016 8:04 AM

Jan 2013
romagia said:
2 girls drinking tea is better than watching 2 edgy guys yelling "onoreeeee" at each other
You haven't been any more wrong, and u kno it
Dec 26, 2016 8:06 AM
Dec 2015
I personally have a few answers, considering that Slice of Life is the most diverse genre of anime out there. It mainly comes down to being an intimate character focused experience. It's fun to watch characters interact realistically, and it's satisfying to watch them grow by living life and being with the people around them.

You referenced K-ON in your question, but K-ON is not JUST a gag comedy about girls doing nothing and it highlights my point above perfectly. It's a character driven coming of age series about a group of girls who become best friends and eventually have to face the fact that they have limited time together because high school is ending. Each girl gets major character development as we watch them grow closer to each other, and because we are attached to them it hurts to watch them hold on to every last second they can with each other. It's hilarious and heartwarming, and that's only a surface of what Slice of Life can offer.

Even sticking within Kyoani shows, Nichijou is a full-on surreal comedy with little character growth and far more exaggerated comedy. Lucky Star is a sort of middle ground with relatable characters who don't grow much and more "moeish" and exaggerated comedy. Hyouka is a more serioius coming of age story compared to K-ON. Then you have totally different stuff like the more mature Usagi Drop, and the sci-fi Planetes. Then we can stick dramas in there like Nagi no Asukara and Your Lie in April.

Check out this video to get the appeal of each "subcategory" of the genre.

Dec 26, 2016 8:06 AM

Sep 2009
Because the viewer can live the life that they can never have vicariously?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 26, 2016 8:12 AM

Oct 2012
As someone that loves heavy plots and drama, sometimes it's nice to have some contrast every once and awhile. Life isn't always like a movie script, so it's nice to take it down a notch and invest in characters that seemingly have normal lives; not that drama can't arise from it, but the issues faced tend to be a lot more grounded or more easily relatable to.

Contrast, contrast, contrast.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 26, 2016 8:13 AM
Jan 2013
Because it's the equivalent of superior taste
gone bai bai
Dec 26, 2016 8:17 AM

Aug 2013
GamerUnglued said:
I personally have a few answers, considering that Slice of Life is the most diverse genre of anime out there. It mainly comes down to being an intimate character focused experience. It's fun to watch characters interact realistically, and it's satisfying to watch them grow by living life and being with the people around them.

You referenced K-ON in your question, but K-ON is not JUST a gag comedy about girls doing nothing and it highlights my point above perfectly. It's a character driven coming of age series about a group of girls who become best friends and eventually have to face the fact that they have limited time together because high school is ending. Each girl gets major character development as we watch them grow closer to each other, and because we are attached to them it hurts to watch them hold on to every last second they can with each other. It's hilarious and heartwarming, and that's only a surface of what Slice of Life can offer.

Basically this. And I love series with SOL start and drama in second half the most. That's why I'm in love with Key's stuff (and generally I'm enjoing adaptations of VN).
SOL is focusing on characters (usually many characters) and I just like it (action scenes/series are boring me to death for example).
Yesher said:
It is also liked by people that just prefer the setting of SOLs compared to Fantasy or Sci-Fi

SOL is not opposite to SciFi in any way. First half of Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes is a pure SOL for example.
rsc-plDec 26, 2016 8:26 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 26, 2016 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
Because SoL is objectively the best genre out there.

/thread
Dec 26, 2016 8:26 AM

Nov 2013
It makes otaku and weeaboos think they have friends before the crushing reality of their lives sit in.
Dec 26, 2016 8:36 AM

Sep 2015
I think the genre is to vast however the slice of life shows I enjoy are comedy based. Watching action anime is awesome that's my favorite genre but when I come come from a 13 hour day of work sometimes I want something more mellow and funny. Thats where slice of life comedy is great being able to watch something that will break up all the tense anime with good jokes has an appeal for me.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Dec 26, 2016 8:47 AM

Oct 2015
Because, it's really interesting, simple. Why? Because, it's so close to the real life and usually can be easily understood by most of the people.
Dec 26, 2016 8:48 AM

Jun 2015
It's the genre with the least bullshit.

No cliff hangers, absurdus powerups, broken physics, etc. etc.
Dec 26, 2016 8:48 AM

May 2012
Many people here at MAL like the OP have an extremely narrow idea of slice-of-life. Here are some SOL shows that are very different from what you seem to think constitutes this genre:

Shouwa Monogatari
Flying Witch
Kumamiko
Hataraki Man
Bartender
SHIROBAKO
Chi's Sweet Home
Fune wo Amu
Hanamaru Youchien
Hidamari Sketch
Sarai-ya Goyou

Drinking tea happens in perhaps two or three of these. And Hyouge Mono shows that tea-drinking can be serious business, especially in the Sengoku period.

One other reason the genre is popular in Japan is that its culture has a strong streak of sentimentality that is often the core of slice-of-life stories. SOL stories for adults like Shouwa Monogatari or Bartender are especially good examples.
Dec 26, 2016 8:54 AM

Dec 2015
Why ''The Sims'' it's popular?

THINK ABOUT IT
Dec 26, 2016 8:57 AM

Jan 2013
SoL is mostly boring and nothing ever happens.

But considering the fact that most action anime goes as far as virtually copy-pasting the scenes/plot looking similar just with different characters (which except visual also feel the same), I understand the sentiment.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Dec 26, 2016 8:59 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Cutesy, can be funny, good to kick back and watch with a nice drink. That sort of thing.

The majority of the time it never really appears as anything deep to me, including why I like that sort of thing, but that's perfectly fine - I find people openly liking entertainment that doesn't try super hard to be thought-provoking infinitely superior to a bunch of 14 year olds actually believing that taste in anime, of all things, is directly proportionate to one's intellect.

Dec 26, 2016 9:27 AM

Oct 2014
Comedy can feel more natural in a more laid back environment than a fast paced one. The related genres of romance, drama, and music can also be quite enjoyable for some people.
Dec 26, 2016 9:29 AM

Feb 2010
Because Life is the essence of storytelling. You can make pretty much any kind of story based on a slice of life premise. Almost every story is just parts of one or more person's lives after all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 26, 2016 9:38 AM

Feb 2015
OP, you ought to distinguish, Slice of Unrealistic Life from Slice of Life. Please... Which one are you talking about?
Dec 26, 2016 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
Darek said:

/thread

Well thing is you can't just put the word "objectively" and say /thread.
At least say this:
Mkim said:
Because it's the equivalent of superior taste

OT:Probably because of simplicity of genre.
Dec 26, 2016 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
More or less just the fact that great character developments and shit.

Like Aria, you can go three seasons with only 8-10 characters. Whereas other shows are fucking fitting 20+ in one

Zapredon said:
Because it's the best opportunity where you can put loli or cute girl acting like a 5 year old even though they are supposedly grown up high school girl. Japanese otaku like it.

jfc. That's a hard-bait.
Dec 26, 2016 9:45 AM
Dec 2015
beast_regards said:
SoL is mostly boring and nothing ever happens.

But considering the fact that most action anime goes as far as virtually copy-pasting the scenes/plot looking similar just with different characters (which except visual also feel the same), I understand the sentiment.
It's interesting because I'm the opposite. I find action extremely boring most of the time. The few cases where I somewhat enjoy it is when I've gotten attached to the characters via SoL moments, and I enjoy action scenes where the fighter is overcoming an inner demon as opposed to fights to advance the story. On the other hand, I absolutely love watching people interact and grow as a result of meeting each other. I find it endlessly entertaining compared to action.
Dec 26, 2016 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
sasalx said:
Darek said:

/thread

Well thing is you can't just put the word "objectively" and say /thread.

I can and I just did, whatcha gonna do? come at me!
Dec 26, 2016 9:50 AM

Aug 2014
Because a lot of Anime fans have no life outside their room.
Dec 26, 2016 9:50 AM

Jan 2016
It is honestly the best kind of escapist fiction. Nothing really beats it on that department.
Dec 26, 2016 9:53 AM

Dec 2014
I have no personal life, so in SoL i can "enjoy" some of this.
Dec 26, 2016 10:06 AM

Oct 2010
It is certainly not for everybody, but there is something inherently comforting for a viewer about slice of life narratives. Conventional forms of narration will generally rely on expectations and will require the viewer to advance the events, reflecting on the past and waiting for an outcome in the future. In SOL you don't need large scale scenarios or context. You just need to watch and enjoy the pleasure of tasting a good warm tea, get sucked into the depressing mood that comes with a rainy day, feel altered or enthusiastic over trivial things... and not having to think about causes and consequences. Slice of life typically paints an instant in the characters' lives and asks you to put your entire focus on the scene you are watching, which, if done well, results in more authentically immersive scenes for the viewer.
Dec 26, 2016 10:08 AM

Feb 2016
Because I'm assuming it's supposed to be relatable and more realistic than other genres. It's also usually simple and laid back.
Dec 26, 2016 10:09 AM

Nov 2013
slice of life genre is like one of the ways in which you can treasure every waking moment, that you can't irl
Dec 26, 2016 10:16 AM

May 2010
Because the world is full of shit so I want to see something beautiful and relaxing.
Dec 26, 2016 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
thelaughingman98 said:
Personally i just don't get the appeal of it , what's entertaining about watching cute girls drinking tea. If you are a fan of the genre please explain why you find this entertaining

If you watch something like Pan de Peace, yeah... you're gonna be bored out of your mind. Even die-hard SoL fans like me would be.

But there are hundreds of exciting SoLs out there. Especially those that incorporate comedy.
Dec 26, 2016 10:48 AM

Dec 2014
It isn't my personal favourite genre, but I think that the appeal comes from its simplicity. It isn't hard to swallow, and doesn't involve intense thought - which for some people who have a lot more going on in their lives (or a stressful lack of such), is a good method of taking a break.
Dec 26, 2016 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
is a boring genre if you dont mix it with drama , romance or comedy
cgdct are extremly boring ,but some people enjoy them
so just watch what you enjoy and avoid what you dont like
Dec 26, 2016 11:48 AM

Apr 2016
SoL is my favourite genre because of the overall calm and relaxing feeling it gives when you watch it. It may be popular because very often it is kinda relatable and realistic.

The focus is more on the character rather than on the plot, we get to see their thoughts, motivations, and other things which make them what they are. I find this kind of storytelling more appealing. SoL is often combined with comedy which makes it more interesting to watch.

Some SoL are thought provoking (Mushishi, Kino no tabi), but you can enjoy the show without doing much thinking also. Some are just laid-back and lazy (Shirokuma Cafe, Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge). Some shows are about relationships and personal growth (Natsume Yuujinchou, Barakamon). Thus, it is a diverse genre , and therein lies its appeal.
Dec 26, 2016 12:03 PM

Feb 2016
thelaughingman98 said:

Because it's relaxing.
Sometimes you just want to take a break from characters fighting and yelling and just watch something nice and calm.

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

(✿◕ᴗ◕)人(◕ᴗ◕✿)

Dec 26, 2016 12:05 PM

Mar 2016
why are sitcoms so popular in the west
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 26, 2016 12:25 PM

Dec 2012
It's not my favorite genre, but if I do watch one it's definitely for the interesting characters. I enjoy lots of series that are character driven and portray different types of people interacting with each other. It's interesting. My favorites include:

BECK
Bunny Drop
Haibane Renmei
Kurenai
Time of Eve
Welcome to the NHK
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 26, 2016 12:32 PM

Nov 2009
thelaughingman98 said:

0) Account created today. Favorite anime-relate person is Hitler. There is only one post, and it's a new thread asking a stupid question. I suspect you're being dishonest here.
Не так ли, мистер тролль?

1) You'll understand when you'll grow up.

2) In short, it's not entertaining, it's relaxing. Kind of like drinking tea with friends if said friends were cute girls who drink tea, rather than creepy guys who drink vodka.
Dec 26, 2016 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
People often find them relaxing and cute, and since they usually have a realistic setting the viewer has something to relate to. Most of them are boring wastes of budget though, since there is no real story or engaging characters to get invested in, mostly only shallow romance.
Dec 26, 2016 1:08 PM

Nov 2009
thelaughingman98 said:

I don't know why it's enjoyable, but I'm trapped with this shit taste now. Help me.
Dec 26, 2016 1:47 PM

Jul 2014
If you mean the cute girls doing cute things subgenre, it's more of a niche genre, it's popular on the mal forums maybe, but it's not that popular. Personally I'm not a fan.
If you mean more in general slice of life, that's a very vast genre. In general I prefer mundane settings over apocaliptic settings. It's easier to convey a meaningful story, and the best comedies are actually slice of life as well.
Dec 26, 2016 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
thelaughingman98 said:

What I like is that its simple. You can just sit back relax and pass the time. Since these shows have little complexity and few surprises, the comedy, character development and romance aspect often added make for a cute, homey little show. Often relateable, or just easy to sit and entertain yourself with little afterthought
Dec 26, 2016 2:22 PM
Sep 2016
I don´t get it .
I think slice of life Anime are boring, normal, I Need Action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by TheMechaManiac »»
1 minute ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 37 minutes ago

6 by TheMechaManiac »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

22 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

45 by -YaoiBoy- »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

18 by Soap »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.