Forum Settings
Forums

Should your own biases never be excluded when looking at anime critically?

New
Dec 26, 2016 5:05 AM

Jan 2016
This topic has been sitting on my mind for a while. As for my thoughts for it.... biases that are genre related or anything that is a generalization should always be frowned upon. You know the usual, "This anime is an example of why *insert anime genre here or any form of generalization here* are bad".... It's just a way to just confirm your own particular bias and if possible people who look at anime critically just look at a show and not its genre or whatnot. But, if you just personally love or hated a show, I don't know why you should exclude that particular bias in expressing your own opinions on it even if what your doing is examining it critically. It's what makes an analysis/review worth reading/watching. Just having something to latch on or passionately disagree with is what is needed in the whole analysis/review scene. I mean you can't really even be "objective"...if you even try, it's a recipe for a dry analysis/review. No one wants someone stating the obvious, give me your own perspective.

Enough rambling, (this has became a mini wall of text and I know most people wouldn't read it) thoughts?
Dec 26, 2016 5:13 AM
Mar 2016
The opinion problem is one of the serious problems in a forum like this. Many people want to force their opinion (for example, a hater with mental issue and fanbase of certain franchise) even though not many people agree with it. There are some elite that want to look cool by not giving their biases (most of them have problem hiding this).
Dec 26, 2016 5:15 AM
Jul 2018
Well they are free to do whatever they want but I don't care about an ecchi review of a person who believes that ecchi is everything that is wrong with anime, the chances are, I already know 90% of what has been written in there, same for mecha, isekai and so on.
Dec 26, 2016 5:23 AM

May 2015
It's situational. A review is your own reflection on a certain show, it's meant to share your personal thoughts about the series with the world.

But like @Darek mentioned, I don't really want to read a review of a show of a certain genre by someone who absolutely hates that genre and refuses to say anything good about the show, or give it any credit, but then just gives it a 4/10 rating and not a 1. Those reviews are just people satisfying their own desires of hating that genre, not putting something out for others to look at and read the opinion over.

A good review explains your opinion and lets that opinion benefit people that are reading it so they can decide to watch the show.
-Rainy-Dec 26, 2016 5:37 AM
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 26, 2016 5:25 AM

Apr 2015
A critical review/analysis is subjective because it's from your POV so it can never be excluded.
Dec 26, 2016 5:31 AM

Oct 2013
Well Im fine with a little bias as long as the person can admit to it and doesn't use it as a giant excuse
Like sure Im not really a fan of the magical girl genre since I hate Madoka Magica and don't really care for Sailor Moon or Yuuki Yuuna
but I'm not going to be so incredible bias and say all magical girls anime suck because Im not a fan of the genre
all genres have good and bad titles after all
Dec 26, 2016 5:36 AM

Feb 2015
If you are to assert facts, it must be free of bias. Though a critical analysis of something is not necessarily objective; most of the time it is subjective.
Dec 26, 2016 5:49 AM

May 2015
However if you put it on the personal level when doing a review or especially when looking critically to an anime a lot of people will easily dismiss it with "it's just your opinion" which is a pointless statement usually stating the obvious and adding nothing to the discussion.
If you are passionate about it in a positive way you are going to be labelled as fanboy.
If you are passionate about it in a negative way you are going to be labelled as elitist.

Bias or not, the argumentation and logic presented is more important than the actual opinion and they can be actually discussed while an opinion can hardly be discussed about.

Kingof1k said:
The opinion problem is one of the serious problems in a forum like this. Many people want to force their opinion (for example, a hater with mental issue and fanbase of certain franchise) even though not many people agree with it. There are some elite that want to look cool by not giving their biases (most of them have problem hiding this).
By calling them elite you are indirectly saying that they are superior to you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2016 5:53 AM

Nov 2009
I'd say that stating your biases in advance near the start of the review is a good idea. If so, people with similar or dissimilar biases would be able to listen closely or ignore your review.
Surely if you are self-aware enough to do critical analysis, you can write down your own biases, right?
Dec 26, 2016 5:56 AM

Jul 2014
Nah, I believe that for every bias you hold (i.e. moe is amazing), there's going to be at least one person with an exact opposite bias to you (i.e. moe is destroying the industry).

Also it just means that they have shit taste. /s
Dec 26, 2016 6:50 AM
Mar 2016
zal said:
However if you put it on the personal level when doing a review or especially when looking critically to an anime a lot of people will easily dismiss it with "it's just your opinion" which is a pointless statement usually stating the obvious and adding nothing to the discussion.
If you are passionate about it in a positive way you are going to be labelled as fanboy.
If you are passionate about it in a negative way you are going to be labelled as elitist.

Bias or not, the argumentation and logic presented is more important than the actual opinion and they can be actually discussed while an opinion can hardly be discussed about.

Kingof1k said:
By calling them elite you are indirectly saying that they are superior to you.
It's a sarcasm of course. Good sarcasm is the one that people don't realize
Dec 26, 2016 7:28 AM

May 2015
Kingof1k said:
It's a sarcasm of course. Good sarcasm is the one that people don't realize
I fail to see the sarcasm. Elite is about having better taste, critic is about being objective. Maybe the later would've been more appropriate for your sarcasm.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

15 by NubFix »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by -YaoiBoy- »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

70 by Merve2Love »»
4 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.