Forum Settings
Forums

How and why do people like villians/antagonist?

New
Dec 24, 2016 4:30 AM
Jul 2018
This doesn't make sense to me. The antagonist are the protagonist enemies, the ones who makes the hero life worse, they're assholes who have evil intentions. but some people like some of the villain. In my perspective, they are suppose to be hated or anything, not care about. the villain in Dangan ronpa, this antagonist is the reason why my favorite big breasts character died. this villain is almost bad as A CERTAIN CHARACTER I HATE. so why do people like them?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 24, 2016 4:52 AM

Feb 2013
if the antagonist has big breast, then it can't be helped
Dec 24, 2016 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
longish answer: they're often written to be way more interesting than the protagonist and its much more fascinating to look into the villain and their background to figure out why they are like that, or maybe people like indulging in characters who does things they'd never do themselves. There is much more to be said about why people just unconditionally love villains in fiction which is not a bad thing at all, but I'm not all that good at putting it into words.
You can try looking past why you don't like a character and instead look for reasons why someone out there will find them more interesting.

short answer: people are thirsty and villains are hot
Dec 24, 2016 5:08 AM
Sep 2016
Weabs want to take revenge on society ::EVIL LAUGH::
Dec 24, 2016 5:11 AM

Jan 2009
There's just so many reasons.
For example
People don't like the the protagonist, so they'd rather root for the villain/antagonist
Sometimes the villains just are better characters than the good guys
People sympathise with the villain and/or their goals
Some villains are simply too awesome to not like
etc.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dec 24, 2016 5:17 AM

May 2016
For some of them, i feel like they are more interesting than the rest of the characters of the series.

Or maybe i just like them because they are 'evil'

Dec 24, 2016 5:19 AM

Aug 2016
Because the feeling of hate evoked by them is a good thing. I love to hate them. This is like loving Bowser in Mario, or Dr. Robotnik in Sonic. You just want the hero to kick their ass. Without them everything wouldn't be the same.
Dec 24, 2016 5:19 AM

Jul 2014
For the same general reasons they'd like any other character,
Dec 24, 2016 5:22 AM

Nov 2016
Maybe some people think that sometimes the villain is more badass than the hero
Dec 24, 2016 5:23 AM

Oct 2014
The same reason why we can like any characters. It is not a case of we like Evil Villains because we are Evil.

And because Villains are at times more interesting than the protagonist is: like Johan Liebert and Yoshikage Kira who both are more interesting than their Protagonist counterparts just Like @puckobox said
Dec 24, 2016 5:25 AM

Apr 2011
Antagonists are often developed by foregoing struggles that the viewer can relate to more closely — we all have our demons lingering in the shadows, and perhaps an antagonist or 'villain' can freely express what we desire to express ourselves, yet we are held back by social expectations and society. These characters are limitless, they take our place on the screen and draw out our personal stories that we ourselves cannot entirely communicate to an outside world.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Dec 24, 2016 5:38 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
The answer is similar to why you hate Kirito even though he is a main protagonist and not an evil character

There are more to see other than being evil or asshole

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 24, 2016 5:57 AM

Jan 2014
crap post, need a mod to move it to the correct place-trash
Dec 24, 2016 6:08 AM

Dec 2015
The question is...why not?

Their ''villaneous'' ideals sometimes it's just the opposite way of thinking of the protagonist...but are they really wrong?
Funny Valentine,for instance,all the things that he made was for his country,and that include ''sacrifice'',only for a better cause,how can i tell that he's wrong?Just because Johnny and Gyro are the protagonists and their goals gets automatically rightful?
Even the ''evil ones'' sometimes just don't want to destroy the world,but build a ''better one'' in their own ways,being them right or not.
Dec 24, 2016 6:16 AM

Aug 2015
Why i like some Villains?

Stupid answer: Villains laugh (search example at one piece, there's a lot o it)

Honest answer: because some of them are unique. (Ex: Zeref, kizaru XD)

Heartwarming answer: because not all of them are truly bad. (Ex: Itachi)

Instant answer: because they're also a character.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Dec 24, 2016 6:18 AM

Aug 2015
Sometimes, the villains/antagonists are more interesting than the actual protagonist

Dec 24, 2016 6:24 AM

Jul 2016
It's interesting to see what drove them to villainy, their backstory, how they act now vs how they acted before, and villains overall tend to be more interesting. The Joker, Johan, Kira from Jojo, Satou from Ajin, and etc are all interesting characters.
Dec 24, 2016 6:27 AM

May 2015
because antagonists are still characters. Good characters are good characters even if they are terrible people(which an antagonist doesn't necessarily have to be). Protagonists can be terrible people and good characters as well, even if they are still not villains.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 24, 2016 9:07 AM

Jul 2013
Easy, antagoists are usually the ones who move the plot, while protagonists are just passive entities who must stop them to save the world or for any other reason the protagonist fight for.

Plus they tend to be more entertaining.
Dec 24, 2016 9:23 AM

Oct 2014
well if you are an incopetent author you will end up demonising the villain for having a different moral value so yes they will end up as arrogant assholes but if the author put a little bit of effort you can make the anotnist to have a understabel and relatable perspective on the world so in that sense it would sense to like him
i also love most character because of their flaws as human beings and as the villain are portrayed as an flawed and conflicted character he becomes way more interesting in my eyes than a generic moral hero in my eyes
Dec 24, 2016 9:26 AM

Nov 2016
The villain is a character with the ability to push around the story and add plot. He's supposed to be interesting and complex, his presence help develops other characters around him/her. That is if he is written and used properly. This won't mean everyone will like the villain itself but at least think they've add their part to the anime, turned it around, showed sides we haven't seen, improved it.

Don't be a weeaboo and don't hate a character only because he killed off characters you liked (or tried to).
Dec 24, 2016 9:45 AM
Jun 2016
Not always why he/she did that

But the personality , the way of doing things is what makes them cool and more memorable than the hero itself.

I know they did bad things making them villan but sometimes we get more connected to them in an anime or any other series ( like joker , Harley Quinn )
Dec 24, 2016 9:53 AM

Sep 2014
Sometimes, I find antagoinsts should be the main protagonists. Like they say, It has many reasons to like a villain more than a hero.

For instance, Dai no Daiboken. Each villain in this show is, in my opinion, way more interesting, charismatic, likeable and has a better design than any protagonists together...
Dec 24, 2016 9:58 AM

Apr 2016
Most of the time when I like antagonists, it's because I want to see them get better and improve. A rehabilitation thing. Or I just like hugging evil characters because I it's like hugging a cactus and I live in Arizona and that's all we have here.
Dec 24, 2016 10:04 AM

Feb 2016
Sometimes villains are just way cooler than protagonists.
Dec 24, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2015
If I can relate with how the antagonist thinks then I'll like them.
Dec 24, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2016
bcus they look way cooler thn the protagonist, somehow.

Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look
around. It's undeniable.
Noctis

Dec 24, 2016 12:03 PM

Sep 2012
Well in this matter I will go with an example.I really love Kyouko from Sangatsu because what she stands for.Yes she meant to be hated but her actions really makes sense.

So for your question if writing of a villian is good there is no problem to like him/her.
Dec 24, 2016 12:19 PM
Jul 2016
Just because I like a villain doesn't mean I approve of what it is doing/want it to win. They may be entertaining to watch, have a sympathetic backstory, or have good intentions but evil methods.

That said, I tend to agree with you on the Danganronpa villain. That particular character may be fun to watch sometimes, but watching it giddily murder my favorite characters made me hate it with a passion.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Dec 24, 2016 1:03 PM

Oct 2014

Look at how cute they are together! How could you not like this villain?
Dec 24, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2014
Lestat- said:
Antagonists are often developed by foregoing struggles that the viewer can relate to more closely — we all have our demons lingering in the shadows, and perhaps an antagonist or 'villain' can freely express what we desire to express ourselves, yet we are held back by social expectations and society. These characters are limitless, they take our place on the screen and draw out our personal stories that we ourselves cannot entirely communicate to an outside world.

This was the case for me with Makishima from Pyscho Pass. Also because I found the protagonists uninteresting as hell.
Dec 24, 2016 2:05 PM

Mar 2016
If the villain is just that entertaining (E.g Kumagawa from Medaka Box)

Or if the protagonists are just so boring.
Dec 24, 2016 2:06 PM

Sep 2009
They can be more interesting and less predictable.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 24, 2016 2:18 PM

Apr 2011
They're often different, thus more interesting. Usually though, villains tend to be awfully predictable and one-dimensionally evil which doesn't make them any more notable than the MC.
Dec 24, 2016 2:30 PM

Jul 2010
The antagonists are the real life people. They are easier to connect to and usually express (and succumb) to their insecurities, hardships, or other that we all have been through.

Protagonists are fantasy. They're the "ideal" in conquering these difficulties instead of giving into hate or greed etc. As kids we find protagonists more interesting since we just think everything is simple... as we're older, we see ourselves (at least I do) in antagonists
Dec 24, 2016 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
Depends how well written the characters are. Here's a good picture to explain:

In real life, there is no such thing as a flat villain who is evil for the sake of being evil. Everyone has their own motives and if the writer is skillful, will make you able to relate to them.
Dec 24, 2016 2:39 PM

Mar 2016
Same reasons why people may likes the protagonist. Relatable, well-written (have a well-explained background story, motives, act in believable way), their looks and big breast (design) and maybe many more reasons.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Dec 24, 2016 3:02 PM

Nov 2016
To put it simply, in my case: Light Yagami happened...
Dec 24, 2016 5:26 PM

Feb 2016
Is there anyone who has seen Deathnote and doesnt like neither Light or L?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 24, 2016 5:39 PM

Apr 2012
How can anyone not like this crazy guy? Plus he's voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka.
Dec 24, 2016 5:45 PM

Apr 2014
If you ever watched Black Butler (Hannah is the villian), mermaid melody (Gaito is the villian), and DN Angel (Krad is the villian), I don't think you would be complaining about them.....
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Dec 24, 2016 6:04 PM

Sep 2014
Well not all antagonists are villains or evil. So there's that. Besides villains are characters as well. They have personalities of their own and thus have their fans. Mororver not everybody relates themselves to the protagonist.
Dec 24, 2016 6:19 PM

May 2016
You know how girls like bad boys. Yea... sort of like that.
No specific reason but mainly finding them *cool*
Dec 24, 2016 6:26 PM

May 2014
Sometimes (most times) the antagonist is much more interesting than the MC
Dec 24, 2016 11:19 PM

Mar 2016
If the anime presented is very two-dimensional in its story telling meaning it falls into good vs evil it can be kind of cheesy. The cheesiness of "the power of friendship" sort of makes me cringe so hard that I root for villains to kill everyone. I guess that is why I like dark magical girls because it takes a cheesy concept and kills everything.
Dec 25, 2016 7:08 AM

Nov 2015
Antagonist tend to be far more interesting than the main characters because a lot of main characters have unrealistic standards and upbringings while a villain in actuality worked hard to get where they got. Villain works some 40 years to get to where he is, here comes a hero most likely a teen does a 5 month training montage...takes out everyone. Its so unrealistic and makes it seem like the hero is the cheater who just skyrocketed to the top without any real hardships.
Dec 25, 2016 7:16 AM

Jul 2014
Villain's backstory > MC's backstory.
Dec 25, 2016 7:31 AM

Jul 2015
Because sometimes i find the antagonist more interesting
Dec 25, 2016 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
Being a bad guy is KOOOL.

Or well, it's about how well written the character is rather than whether he's a protag or he's a villain.
Dec 25, 2016 10:01 AM

Jul 2013
sasalx said:
Well in this matter I will go with an example.I really love Kyouko from Sangatsu because what she stands for.Yes she meant to be hated but her actions really makes sense.
I totally agree with that. Kyouko can be a complete bitch and an awful person, but Hell is she doesn't steal the show everytime she starts to talk.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 minutes ago

1 by 024 »»
27 seconds ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 9 hours ago

22 by Chandela »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by DigiCat »»
7 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by _lordcanti »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

15 by MechKingKillbot »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.