Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that is not at all serious, then tries to become serious near the end (this ended up being a rant)

New
Dec 23, 2016 8:36 PM
Apr 2014
For a while now, i've been having the problem of just not finishing some series, because the last 2 or 3 episodes just get on my nerves so much, and it begins to feel like a completely different show. Like, I am all for plot, but please don't try to suddenly make an overly dramatic scene right near the end when its been all comedy and fun up until this point. Even then over 90% of the time it doesn't deliver properly, and everyone goes back to being friends after i have to sit there and watch all of the characters involved sulk and cry for the last 2 episodes and they say 1 sentence and its all better now. Well, i guess I am ranting too much about this, but it has been seriously annoying me for quite a while, like I understand that plot is important to stories, but when the show your making literally does not have a story, then why the hell are you randomly adding a plot to this? Just tired of literally not wanting to finish shows suddenly when the signs of the beginning of the end start to happen
Dec 23, 2016 8:50 PM

Feb 2013
i am tanaka san from deen animation and your proposal will be taken in consideration for the next animes we will make . we well look into keeping comedic series consistent towards the end in the future .thank you and have a good day - tanaka and thanks for giving examples, as usual
Dec 23, 2016 8:53 PM
Apr 2014
lol, i like how you edited in an attempt to make it look more professional, Tanaka-san from deen animation :P
Dec 23, 2016 8:55 PM

Feb 2015
At least the series tries to touch some random shit. Y'all rant about it but deep inside y'all are M.
Dec 23, 2016 8:57 PM

Jan 2015
romagia said:
i am tanaka san from deen animation and your proposal will be taken in consideration for the next animes we will make . we well look into keeping comedic series consistent towards the end in the future .thank you and have a good day - tanaka and thanks for giving examples, as usual
tanaka-san, ningen wa mamoru tameni

la critique de l'intention pure
Dec 23, 2016 9:13 PM

Dec 2012
It depends on how it's executed. There are some series where it works and others where it doesn't.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 24, 2016 12:03 AM

May 2015
I love tonal shifts. They make the anime more realistic since life is about change, about good times and bad times.

But yes, I've seen this problem in a lot of anime. The problem is, the shift comes suddenly and more no reason other than to have a climax. It doesn't contribute anything. It doesn't put the characters in difficult situations. It doesn't even come naturally from the story or the world. Suddenly, some asshole wants to cause destruction.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 24, 2016 11:26 PM
May 2015
It's sort of a staple with anime.

It starts off lighthearted and gives an introduction of all the characters and their daily life, then something serious or bad happens and the drama kicks in.
Dec 24, 2016 11:39 PM

Dec 2012
Why do I feel like you are talking about Nanbaka?

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Dec 25, 2016 1:10 AM

Apr 2010
I remember an opposite example. The 7 (I think) first episodes were really serious and dramatic. In the next episode, after the one before ended tragically the main character which was too serious in first part became happy happy joy joy all of sudden with no explanation. So if it's too extreme, I guess it could be annoying the other way around.

By the way, if someone wondered, I talked of

Dec 25, 2016 1:36 AM

May 2015
EfiChan said:
I remember an opposite example. The 7 (I think) first episodes were really serious and dramatic. In the next episode, after the one before ended tragically the main character which was too serious in first part became happy happy joy joy all of sudden with no explanation. So if it's too extreme, I guess it could be annoying the other way around.

That's odd. I wonder why we never see stories go the other way around - start dramatic, and end comic.
Dec 25, 2016 3:11 AM

Apr 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
EfiChan said:

That's odd. I wonder why we never see stories go the other way around - start dramatic, and end comic.

Didn't I just give an example?

Another one, but not as extreme:

Dec 25, 2016 11:44 PM

May 2015
EfiChan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You did, but we're still talking about a rarity. Even Western stories often start more light and end up heavy.
Dec 26, 2016 12:05 AM

Nov 2009
EfiChan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'd say Tears to Tiara's prologue is darker than any other part of that anime/game.
But most of these jumps in mood are due to medium transition: in the game, VN-style comical moments are punctuated by player-controlled fights, which keeps a lid on the comedy.
Dec 26, 2016 12:08 AM
Jul 2018
jeanseberg said:
romagia said:
tanaka-san, ningen wa mamoru tameni

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahagahahahaha
Dec 26, 2016 4:48 AM

Sep 2014
Hmmm.....one.....mecha......drills.....?
Dec 26, 2016 8:25 AM

Jul 2013
I don't mind if some silly, lighhearted series turn serious suddenly if it's well executed (like happens with JoJo). But when a totally stupid series tries to take itself seriously and fails to deliver (like Nourin), that is when it starts to bother me.
Dec 26, 2016 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think tonal shifts are necessary bad if there is some indication/foreshadow to it. However in most cases this type of shifts come out of nowhere and are just for the sake of "shocking" the viewers. So is hard to take something that is happening seriously.
removed-userDec 26, 2016 8:40 AM
Dec 26, 2016 8:40 AM

Oct 2012
I'll take the direction going from light-hearted to serious any time over the reverse.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 26, 2016 8:42 AM

Jan 2016
I don't see the problem if it's well executed,Gintama does it alot and you still end up feeling sad for the characters even though the arc started as a complete comedy.
Dec 26, 2016 9:24 AM

Jun 2013
kazuro said:
Why do I feel like you are talking about Nanbaka?
Yeah it seems like it, nanbaka was the first thing that came into my mind.
Dec 26, 2016 10:37 AM

Dec 2014
The only thing worse than this is when a series tries to constantly shift between very bad comedy and extremely edgy everything-else (aka why I really couldn't be stand akame ga kill)

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

59 by APolygons2 »»
21 seconds ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

54 by IKKIsama »»
2 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 15 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 51 minutes ago

11 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 6 minutes ago

0 by Shizuna »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.