Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2016 9:49 AM

Aug 2014
There are many ways to establish a character and not all of them are as obvious as narrated backstories or emotional rants. And that definitely goes for audiovisual media: the way the character talks (voice acting, use of words), their posture, their reactions in specific situations... Not everyone bothers to analyse what those mean, but they make you subconsciously like or dislike a character.

Such subtle 'realistic' establishments aside, there is another not-so-obvious kind: symbolism. Similarly to people who get 'meaningful' tattoos, characters dress up in clothing that display their personalities - mostly established through accessories, but also clothing types(skimpy, covered up...), color codes... and panties.

As a character exposes their undergarment, we get a deep look into their heads: panties come in all kinds of varieties - the traditional white panties, risky pink tie-side panties, a snake etc. Each and every one of them symbolises different traits and/or virtues, or a different combination of traits and/or virtues.

Thus my questions to you:

• What do you think about pantsu-symbolism? Do you think it's a better way of establishing a character than other traits are? Why (not)?

• Does anime do a sufficient job at explaining a character through their panties? Do you think it is done enough? Or should it be done more? Why (not)?

• Do you have any examples of well-done pantsu symbolism?

• (bonus question) If your favourite character has never had a panty-shot, what kind of panties would they wear, based on their personalities?
Oct 1, 2016 9:54 AM

Feb 2013
The girl in your avatar is the kind to wear no pantsu since she comes from a time before pantsu (305 BP more exact). Back in that time, there was no pantsu symbolism, and the people were happier. Fast forward to 400 anno pantsuini, we can see moral corruption and degeneracy everywhere, and it's all the fault of the pantsu. We must fight against this by taking off our pantsu, and encouraging others to do the same.
Oct 1, 2016 9:56 AM

Aug 2014
romagia said:
The girl in your avatar is the kind to wear no pantsu since she comes from a time before pantsu (305 BP more exact). Back in that time, there was no pantsu symbolism, and the people were happier. Fast forward to 400 anno pantsuini, we can see moral corruption and degeneracy everywhere, and it's all the fault of the pantsu. We must fight against this by taking off our pantsu, and encouraging others to do the same.

So would you say that a character going commando represents their good nature, agedness and wisom?
Oct 1, 2016 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
Well, that's a interesting thread (and I am not being sarcastic

What do you think about pantsu-symbolism? Do you think it's a better way of establishing a character than other traits are? Why (not)?

I don't think there is any symbolism, of course what type of pantsu they are wearing would depend on their personality

White= cute, pure, waifu material
White with a animal= loli, waifu material, jail bait
Red/pink= playful, seducive, waifu material

And so on

Does anime do a sufficient job at explaining a character through their panties? Do you think it is done enough? Or should it be done more? Why (not)?

It should be done more definetely, I think the japs are doing decent job with that

Do you have any examples of well-done pantsu symbolism?

Mayoi hachikuji (monogatari) look at the point I made for pantsu with a animal picture

If your favourite character has never had a panty-shot, what kind of panties would they wear, based on their personalities?

Akatsuki would either wear white pantsu cause she is pure and perfect or black ones to resemble her class which is a assassin

Now that I finished talking about pantsu I am going to fap 'cause you just reminded me about the pantsu miracle
Oct 1, 2016 10:02 AM

Feb 2013
demonskul777 said:
romagia said:

So would you say that a character going commando represents their good nature, agedness and wisom?
that's exactly how i like them fam!!
Oct 1, 2016 10:23 AM

Oct 2014
romagia said:
If not pantsu should they wear boyshorts instead?

They won't fit under every uniform, but maybe girls shouldn't be wearing that short of skirts in the first place.

OT: There are many things more symbolic than pantsu, although in some cases like Misaka and Uiharu they are important to their personalities. I've heard that anime hair colours have some importance and the reason they tell you the characters' blood types is because they think that relates to personality.
Oct 1, 2016 10:26 AM

Sep 2016
demonskul777 said:

• What do you think about pantsu-symbolism? Do you think it's a better way of establishing a character than other traits are? Why (not)?

• Does anime do a sufficient job at explaining a character through their panties? Do you think it is done enough? Or should it be done more? Why (not)?

• Do you have any examples of well-done pantsu symbolism?

• (bonus question) If your favourite character has never had a panty-shot, what kind of panties would they wear, based on their personalities?

why so subtle (from dead dead demo's dedededestruction)

I can't really find any other img so if I get banned or whatever...worth it?

zombie_pegasus said:

OT: There are many things more symbolic than pantsu, although in some cases like Misaka and Uiharu they are important to their personalities. I've heard that anime hair colours have some importance and the reason they tell you the characters' blood types is because they think that relates to personality.

Which is true and they probably made animes about it (I remember one about blood types, while you can spot the the black/redhead couple in dozens of animes among other things).
FondenteOct 1, 2016 10:40 AM
Oct 1, 2016 10:33 AM

Jan 2008
White panties generally imply a pure girl.

Black panties are for naughty ones. Extra naughty if they wear garter belts. Also usually sadists.

Bear panties for childish girls.

Nopan is usually for lolis that wear one piece dresses or outfits.

Stripes seem to be common among tsunderes but not limited to them.
Oct 1, 2016 10:36 AM

Sep 2012
I suggest that you shoudl play Yandere Sim.You can learn what type of pantsu symbolize what.
Oct 1, 2016 10:38 AM

Aug 2014
sasalx said:
I suggest that you shoudl play Yandere Sim.You can learn what type of pantsu symbolize what.

I already have Akiba's Trip for that
Oct 1, 2016 10:45 AM

Aug 2014
kamisama751 said:
I miss the good old times in the 00s where wearing white pantsu means purity and is very likable. Now they are quantitatively used nearly everywhere.

I mean before that we had Aika and everyone just wears white panties there.

Do you think anime creators have to put more work into designing panties?
Oct 1, 2016 11:02 AM

Aug 2014
kamisama751 said:
demonskul777 said:

I mean before that we had Aika and everyone just wears white panties there.

Do you think anime creators have to put more work into designing panties?

Designing panties don't do anything good when the character who wears it is an empty shell.

True, but maybe they would think more about the characters if they'd try to symbolise them (through their panties), leading to a less flat character.

The white panties might just represent their blank personalities in that case tho

taking your statement out of context "panties don't do anything good when the character who wears it is an empty shell", can I assume you prefer anime characters without panties?
Oct 1, 2016 11:44 AM

Aug 2014
kamisama751 said:

Hm... yes and no. Characterization should be done internally. Which means showing us a shy character is shy, an aggressive character is aggressive. Cloths are on the other hand external. They do never add characterization but rather makes it more obvious/expressive.
Showing us a white pantsu doesn't make the character pure or anything. Showing black ones either. It only expresses something when the character is already that way.

White pantsu representing their blank personality can be true but that doesn't change the (mostly) awful characterization, which makes the viewer (excluding plebs) not care about it and thus very insignificant.

Of course it depends on the writing, I was just saying that working more intensively on character design and putting thought into it might make the author think more about the character and do a better job characterising because they'd know the character better. I didn't mean for the viewer.

I totally agree, if the meaning of the symbols is only deductable from the symbols themselves, they might as well mean nothing - either it has to be predominant enough for it to manipulate the viewer (ie anything that has to do with the atmosphere), or has to directly be a play on the story - or I guess character in this case.

"Aesthetics" are always nice, though. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

kamisama751 said:
You don't want to know which shows are in my ptw list. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

I wouldn't be so sure about that...
Oct 1, 2016 11:49 AM

Jun 2016
My waifu wears bloomers, you fuck!!

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Oct 1, 2016 11:53 AM

Aug 2014
Selenium_Thorium said:

What pattern? What do they say about your waifu?
Oct 1, 2016 11:55 AM

Jun 2016
demonskul777 said:
Selenium_Thorium said:

.... bud, they're bloomers. They don't have any patterns

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Oct 1, 2016 11:55 AM

Aug 2015
@zxcasdqwe123cat Rule no 101 of internet : Don't post screen shot from sites which watermark other works.
Oct 1, 2016 11:57 AM

Aug 2015
Selenium_Thorium said:

Daily remainder that your waifu kissed another dude.
Oct 1, 2016 11:59 AM

Feb 2015
Oct 1, 2016 12:00 PM
Feb 2016
Yes, Zurako wears Elizabeth panties. Or maybe 'Zura ja nai, Zurako da!' panties just in case she got a panty shot.
Oct 1, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2014
Selenium_Thorium said:
demonskul777 said:

.... bud, they're bloomers. They don't have any patterns

I assumed bloomers could have patterns.

kamisama751 said:
I don't really think design and writing a character is linked together in that way though. They are mostly done in two separate departments by different people. If the writer has something to do with designing then he/she doesn't really need that little extra for making their character better but rather the opposite: Because they know their characters they can find fitting designs.

I was probably talking too much world-building-wise there, where thinking about designs and minor details might teach the author more about the world on a broader scale. But, yeah, it doesn't really work on a character.

I would think that the person who writes the character at least has a basic design for them - like at least a written design so the drawing team has something to go on. Writing a character in the absurd would be kinda weird. (absurd, weird. it's a pun)

kamisama751 said:
Oh well, you are basically asking a ticket to hell you know. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hell? Sounds like demons. I like it already. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
metadataOct 1, 2016 12:19 PM
Oct 1, 2016 12:32 PM

Aug 2014
@kamisama751

Yeah, details would be up to the people who draw it. It probably depends on how passionate the authro is.

Dude, I love battle-ecchis. 👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌
Oct 1, 2016 12:38 PM

Sep 2012
It symbolizes an overused and unoriginal joke.
Oct 1, 2016 1:10 PM

Aug 2014
kamisama751 said:
demonskul777 said:
@kamisama751

Yeah, details would be up to the people who draw it. It probably depends on how passionate the authro is.

That's quite surprising. You know you are just one step away from making a contract with satan.

ugh blade and soul 👎👀👎👀👎👀👎👀👎👀 bad shit ba̷̶ ԁ sHit 👎

Red_Keys said:
It symbolizes an overused and unoriginal joke.

Panties aren't a joke. Pantyshots can be used jokingly, but that's not what this is about.
Oct 3, 2016 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
This thread is pure gold. And MAL is getting weird...
Oct 3, 2016 4:56 PM

Feb 2010
Lord_Sithis said:
This thread is pure gold. And MAL is getting weird...
MAL's allways been weird humans are allways wierd
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 3, 2016 5:18 PM

Jun 2015
i've watched tens of hentai and watched several pantsu's but can onyl recall one.
they made it into an entire thing
Mio's blue and white horizontal stripes
Oct 3, 2016 5:39 PM

Feb 2010

think i took a wrong turn but w/e i know pantsu symbolism is a thing but i dont feel like finding that chart
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 3, 2016 5:53 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
demonskul777 said:

yep, sexy fighting is a super super fetish of mine

@kamisama751

no elitists allowed in ecchi threads

Oct 3, 2016 5:57 PM

Sep 2016
why are you still keeping this elitist stuff up:I
Oct 3, 2016 6:00 PM

Apr 2015
I truly hope this is not a troll thread, because this deserves some honest contemplating.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 3, 2016 9:32 PM

May 2016
It be great if all chicks would just stop wearing panties instead.
Oct 3, 2016 11:44 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kamisama751 said:

Is this... is this f*cking discrimination?

yes, and im sending out my legion of elitist hunters to track all you down who are trying to poison our ecchi love :D
Oct 4, 2016 12:10 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kamisama751 said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

yes, and im sending out my legion of elitist hunters to track all you down who are trying to poison our ecchi love :D

Come at me! I will bash the heck out of you all. :D

yes, and if i catch you watching keijo!!!!!!!! ill be at your door with a pitchfork :D
Oct 4, 2016 7:39 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kamisama751 said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

yes, and if i catch you watching keijo!!!!!!!! ill be at your door with a pitchfork :D

I will watch keijo for sure, and bash it. *prepares for war*

ah i see, so you are using a metaphor for your penis when you said "and bash it?"

damn, im gonna do the same thing...

go figure ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
EcchiGodMamsterOct 4, 2016 7:44 AM
Oct 4, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2015
Yes!!!
A pantsu thread!

Lets see...pantsu is good for your health
And....its available in multiple colors...
And....it looks awesome...

So yeah pantsu is great, 10/10
Oct 4, 2016 8:47 AM

Aug 2014
@EcchiLordMamster

Some elitists like ecchi too.

#notAllElitists
Oct 4, 2016 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
That's a lot of text for a topic named "pantsu symbolism". I expected absolute, toxic cancer. Good job. But it's way to much thought given to panty shots. I'm pretty sure they exist for the sole purpose of being aesthetically pleasing (in a sexual way of course). It's a Japanese thing.
Oct 4, 2016 9:29 AM

Jun 2008
I did a thread for what pantsu mean some years ago...

White = Virgin

Shimapan = loli/tsundere

Pink = Tease

Black = She wants the D
Oct 4, 2016 9:33 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
demonskul777 said:
@EcchiLordMamster

Some elitists like ecchi too.

#notAllElitists

No... it's not possible.... lol...

@kamisama751

You have LOGH in your favorites you elitist scum >:(
Oct 4, 2016 12:43 PM

Sep 2016
Being animation, but even speaking of sequential stuff, you can draw lingerie in a way you'll never tell if any girl wears pantsu or not thus sending ecchi fans into the robot (mental breakdown). Yeah "elitists" will like "antipantsus". Mwhahahahaha.

I'm not sure any anime featured this kind of joke. Mangas are more likely.
FondenteOct 4, 2016 12:50 PM
Oct 5, 2016 10:01 PM

Oct 2014
zombie_pegasus said:

Ectually hair colour soesn't say much about personality.
Hairstyle however do tell something, Twintails symbolize youth while long hair mostly symbolizes insecurity.
A character cutting its Own long hair at one point also symbolizes growth and Selfesteem.

@EcchiLordMamster Elitists don't hate ecchi, they just want it to be better' besides what is wrong with LOGH?
Oct 6, 2016 4:13 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Bourmegar said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Ectually hair colour soesn't say much about personality.
Hairstyle however do tell something, Twintails symbolize youth while long hair mostly symbolizes insecurity.
A character cutting its Own long hair at one point also symbolizes growth and Selfesteem.

@EcchiLordMamster Elitists don't hate ecchi, they just want it to be better' besides what is wrong with LOGH?

Elitists can not have a say in "better" ecchi >:O

It was a joke
Oct 6, 2016 10:48 AM

Aug 2014
Bourmegar said:
what is wrong with LOGH?

It doesn't have meaningful pantyshots.
Dec 27, 2016 10:40 AM
Oct 2016
What do you think about pantsu-symbolism? Do you think it's a better way of establishing a character than other traits are? Why (not)?
I guess it can be easier and neater than other types of symbolism.

Does anime do a sufficient job at explaining a character through their panties? Do you think it is done enough? Or should it be done more? Why (not)?
No, it's not enough. There should be an entire guide about colour code, material, underwear type, transparency etc.

Do you have any examples of well-done pantsu symbolism?
Your Christmas seminudes.

If your favourite character has never had a panty-shot, what kind of panties would they wear, based on their personalities?
Black lace tanga.

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

36 by Lhundrup »»
31 seconds ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 11 minutes ago

3 by DinoNo1 »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

18 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

24 by BitChilly »»
14 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

21 by Horshu »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.