Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2016 3:27 PM

Dec 2014
Hey guys, can anyone help me out?
I'd like to know in which order should I watch this series.
Sep 9, 2016 3:41 PM

May 2015
Ghost in the shell is a movie and its sequel is ghost in the shell innocence
Ghost in the shell stand alone complex is an alternate version in the same world, with same characters but unrelated story. Stand alone's sequel is 2nd GIG

It's better to see ghost in the shell the movie first then watch the tv series. Innocence is kinda optional.
zalSep 9, 2016 3:46 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2016 3:58 PM

Dec 2014
zal said:
Ghost in the shell is a movie and its sequel is ghost in the shell innocence
Ghost in the shell stand alone complex is an alternate version in the same world, with same characters but unrelated story. Stand alone's sequel is 2nd GIG

It's better to see ghost in the shell the movie first then watch the tv series. Innocence is kinda optional.

There's a prequel too, I think? It's called Arise or something. I keep finding movies and spin-offs here.
Sep 9, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2015
@jiminni stop overthinking that shit and watch the 95 movie! Why would you want to watch any license in another order than airing order anyway?
Sep 9, 2016 4:36 PM

Sep 2012
Again?Really?

Click This

I can't believe I have to post this again.
Sep 9, 2016 4:56 PM

Jun 2012
The best option is the release order. However, you have to remember that there are three separate continuities for Ghost in the Shell: the Mamoru Oshii movie series, the Stand Alone Complex series and the Arise series. They are are all set in different timelines.
Both the Mamoru Oshii movie series and the Stand Alone Complex series are based on Shirow Masamune's manga, but the stories are completely different. They share main characters, world-setting and sometimes make reference to scenes from the manga, but they're different timelines with different events and stories.
The Arise series is a prequel to Shirow Masamune's manga, not to the Mamoru Oshii movies or the SAC series.

So, the best order to watch the Ghost in the Shell franchise is:

1. Mamoru Oshii movie series:
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (this is a remastered edition of the original 1995 movie) > Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

2. Stand Alone Complex series:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex > Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG > Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

3. Arise series:
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 Ghost Tears > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:4 Ghost Stands Alone > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture > Ghost in the Shell (2015)
Andan210Sep 9, 2016 5:03 PM
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Sep 9, 2016 5:18 PM

Dec 2014
That is very detailed, thank you very much @Andan210
Sep 9, 2016 5:32 PM

Jun 2012
@jiminni You're welcome :)
Stupid 30 characters limit rule.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
May 7, 2020 7:45 AM

Jul 2014
Andan210 said:
The best option is the release order. However, you have to remember that there are three separate continuities for Ghost in the Shell: the Mamoru Oshii movie series, the Stand Alone Complex series and the Arise series. They are are all set in different timelines.
Both the Mamoru Oshii movie series and the Stand Alone Complex series are based on Shirow Masamune's manga, but the stories are completely different. They share main characters, world-setting and sometimes make reference to scenes from the manga, but they're different timelines with different events and stories.
The Arise series is a prequel to Shirow Masamune's manga, not to the Mamoru Oshii movies or the SAC series.

So, the best order to watch the Ghost in the Shell franchise is:

1. Mamoru Oshii movie series:
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (this is a remastered edition of the original 1995 movie) > Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

2. Stand Alone Complex series:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex > Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG > Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

3. Arise series:
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 Ghost Tears > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:4 Ghost Stands Alone > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture > Ghost in the Shell (2015)

Thanks, i was getting confused this explains a lot.

More topics from this board

» G.I.T.S. Movie selection

delloskill - Jan 31, 2016

3 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Dec 9, 2021 6:02 PM

» Ghost in the Shell 2.0?? OMG!!!

Ni2no - Jun 14, 2008

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Dec 9, 2021 5:59 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Episode 1 Discussion

dtshyk - Jul 19, 2008

43 by NextUniverse »»
Nov 16, 2021 12:11 AM

» Explain to me Ghost in the shell

insomnolence - Jan 10, 2016

5 by EratiK »»
Jan 11, 2016 4:08 AM

» deleted

lbonato - Nov 30, 2013

9 by Luna »»
Nov 30, 2013 10:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.