How would you rate this anime?
Jan 29, 2010 4:40 PM
May 2008
Spotlight Anime: Yu Yu Hakusho

MAL Anime Information Page: Yu Yu Hakusho

MAL Score – 8.31 (by 14623 users)
Ranked - #150
Popularity - #137

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Yu Yu Hakusho was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
17 Yes - 58.6%
12 No - 41.3%

69 Don't know this anime - 68.3% of the total number polled
3 Abstained - 2.9% of the total number polled
LindleMar 11, 2018 4:45 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 2, 2010 12:18 AM

Aug 2008
Although it's among the better Shounen shows, it's still not exceptional in it's own right; twist ending was nice though. It will get a no from me but I won't mind if it flukes it's way to induction.
Feb 3, 2010 3:28 PM

Dec 2007
At one tenth of it (but I'll get to 23 episodes before the You Decide for sure) it seems a mix of Dragon Ball with Hokuto no Ken, with the good points of each of them.

But unless it has something really impressive by the 20th something episode I'll have to abstain. It's too much of a long series. However my first thought is that even if I had watched it all it would be a no. It does not seem that it will get much further than fighting new monsters every day. While this is especially entertaining and the concept is very original, nothing else is good enough to bring it to the club's list. I think.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 4, 2010 1:53 AM

Aug 2008
Personally I thought the 3rd saga 67~94 was the best part but it's still basically standard Shounen.
Feb 4, 2010 4:28 PM

Apr 2009
I watched 39 episodes of this series some time ago and put it on-hold because I was a little bored with it. I am most likely going to be in the minority here, but I liked the first episodes (about 20 or so) much much more than the consecutive ones. The reason for this is simple: in the first episodes the main character seemed to use relatively interesting ways to defeat opponents, but in the later episodes he only defeated them with a random power-up, which is a little disappointing. Some other fights without the main character were good, though.

I am still planning on continuing this series some time in the future, hopefully it will get better.
Feb 5, 2010 5:03 AM

Aug 2008
That's why I like the 3rd saga the best, the enemies they fight in that saga are allot more gimmicky and thus the battles are won with tricks rather than power ups.
Feb 5, 2010 6:08 AM

Jan 2010
Kuwabara's english VA is almost reason enough to give this show a good grade. VAs aside, I think the show was pretty good, for what it is. Interesting fights, likable characters and a plot that isn't great, but still good enough to keep you watching.

Feb 5, 2010 1:21 PM

Apr 2009
bbobjs said:
That's why I like the 3rd saga the best, the enemies they fight in that saga are allot more gimmicky and thus the battles are won with tricks rather than power ups.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Now I am looking forward to continuing the series.
Feb 7, 2010 11:07 AM

Jul 2007
I have seen this anime a long time ago. It was one of my first anime.
Animation - 8 / 10, the animation was really good for those years and i loved how were designed the characters.
Sound - 8 / 10
Characters - 8/ 10, i loved the humour of the characters.
Story - 8 / 10 - i really liked the fights
Enjoyment - 8/ 10, it was enjoyable watching it.
[/url]

Feb 7, 2010 1:34 PM

Dec 2007
I found one disgusting animation mistake. So disgusting, but so disgusting that I will vote no when I finish the required episodes. It's one of the few things I can't admit in an anime. And I'm pretty sure I'll never give it more than 6. Ever.

And this is how a mistake can cost your life.
Feb 10, 2010 8:58 AM

Apr 2008
ladyxzeus said:
I found one disgusting animation mistake. So disgusting, but so disgusting that I will vote no when I finish the required episodes. It's one of the few things I can't admit in an anime. And I'm pretty sure I'll never give it more than 6. Ever.

uh, what?

Anyway, I hope most of you guys watched the English dub for this one
Feb 10, 2010 10:25 AM

Apr 2009
ladyxzeus said:

Out of curiosity, where?
AntiquatedNotion said:
Anyway, I hope most of you guys watched the English dub for this one

Is the dub really better? I watched the subs (and was satisfied with Japanese seiyuu), but I am biased since as a rule English dubs ruin the experience for me.
Feb 10, 2010 11:42 AM

Apr 2008
In my opinion, yes. I think most will agree with me on it. Watch an episode dubbed and decide for yourself. In the worst case, you switch back to the subs from there. I usually give the dub a chance to impress me before i just assume it's going to be terrible. Sometimes it is (hi Fantastic Children), but sometimes it isn't (this, Cromartie, Ghost in the Shell: SAC...).
Feb 10, 2010 11:58 AM
May 2008
AntiquatedNotion said:
In my opinion, yes. I think most will agree with me on it. Watch an episode dubbed and decide for yourself. In the worst case, you switch back to the subs from there. I usually give the dub a chance to impress me before i just assume it's going to be terrible. Sometimes it is (hi Fantastic Children), but sometimes it isn't (this, Cromartie, Ghost in the Shell: SAC...).

I second on this as well. Calumet already mention about Kuwabura's English VA (who I enjoy the most in YYH especially when it came to the comedy situations) but the other English VA's were certainly dead-on with their characters as well in YYH. The English dub in YYH is one of the few versions in anime that clearly does better than the Japanese version from my view.
Dark-EvolutionFeb 10, 2010 2:30 PM
Feb 10, 2010 2:10 PM

Dec 2007
whitew123 said:
ladyxzeus said:

Out of curiosity, where?

When they were fighting Rando the old lady appears on her back. AND THEY FORGOT TO DRAW HER HANDS. They left the skeleton blocks.

Concerning dub, since I'm not an English native it requires more concentration to listen to a dub than to read subtitles. So I'll stick with the subtitles. This show is reallly relaxing and mindless, so having to focus on it would take half the fun.
Feb 10, 2010 5:55 PM

Oct 2007
Probably the best shounen action serial I've seen/read so far. At least of those that have actually managed to end that is. I was kind of surprised how they managed to keep things interesting even after Yuusuke essentially became the king of demons and I actually found the Three Kings arc more interesting than the Shinobu arc because it was just so different from what I'm used to seeing in shonen fighting series. Especially in how it isn't really portrayed as a zero sum game between good and evil in the end, but rather as a way for powerful rivals to avoid plateauing as fighters by finally finding equals.

Most Shonen series also don't know when to quit, but it seemed like Yu Yu Hakusho picked the perfect time to wrap things up at 112 episodes. Also that opening theme song still remains one of my all time favourites in it's second incarnation.

It's a very 90's show, but I think it stands the test of time quite nicely and the way it's done so well in North America kind of attests to that.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.