Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 24, 2016 11:30 PM
Jun 2016
I find that this time finally Ufotable manages to bring justice to ToZ. to be honest, i played the game, watched the OVA and now the anime, and each of them bring new breath, which is good. ToZ was not a bad game, the biggest problem is only the storyline and too many plot holes that need to be answered here if BanNam want to recover fan's faith.

Anyway, regarding this episode, I dunno what to say except freaking awesome!! Love the way the assassin (I'll keep the spoiler till the episode released) and Alisha's battle. so far, each battle from each episode made me so happy with the result. And also it might be too soon for Sorey's Armatization, but overall it's a good execution for the anime, although this certainly will make more people scorn Sorey for being unable to realized what Sorey has done. Well, people tend to get scary with what they can't see so I hope they keep the logic here (like the one in the game).

Although Lailah got new VA (which is unavoidable since Matsuki Miyu has passed away T_T, I really love her voice as Lailah), but I think they got a proper VA to replace Matsuki. Both of them clearly tried to bring the best of Lailah and for that I'm grateful.

Can't wait for next week!!!

*I see Dezel and can't wait to hear OnoDai's voice again!*
Jul 25, 2016 12:39 AM

May 2010
I really like the ED song, Fhana <3
Jul 25, 2016 12:40 AM

Aug 2013
I really like this plot, Sorey meets Lailah and he finally turns the Shepherd, I quite liked the Lailah's character design, other characters are also gaining importance, and the plot shows a good development, I am really looking forward to continue watching this anime ..
Jul 25, 2016 12:44 AM

May 2012
Very good episode. I'm enjoying this anime much more than i thought i would. I actually thought it would suck, but i'm glad i was wrong.
I despise woke people.
Jul 25, 2016 12:52 AM

Jan 2015
astroprogs said:
Well, ufo obscures everything with digital effects, not just the CGI.

Well, i think the word "obscures" is misleading. As it implies they are hiding something, or that their key animation is of low quality. But its not. The effects are not there to hide something or take away from experience, but rather add to it in various ways. Adding those effects is more time consuming and more expensive than... not adding them.

Every anime CGI at the moment is "crappy CGI". I wish the studios to just drop it until the technology matures more because all the current implementations will date every show that use them. I know that they use it to save money, but that doesn't really excuse anything in my eyes.

I'll assume you're talking solely about stuff like characters or monsters etc in 2D anime ?

Well i'd argue that Berserker in F/Z didn't look bad at all. Same goes for Sabers motorcycle, and that was quite a while ago. Ufotable has shown that they are better at this stuff than most studios. Maybe Production I.G is on par?

I guess Berserker was CGId for more odd, otherworldly feel but I could argue the same thing for monsters in Zestiria, since normal people can't see them. And its worth thinking about what would you get if CGI wasn't used instead?

I haven't played the game myself, but one thing to consider is that it would probably feel less odd to people who played the game, since the game is in 3D, so CGI in anime are more detailed versions of the game equivalents anyway.

Also some things are probably only possible with CGI within reasonable(permissible) timeframe.
FrozenkexJul 25, 2016 1:04 AM
Jul 25, 2016 12:56 AM
Feb 2015
Lailah is so cute ^^
Jul 25, 2016 1:04 AM

Mar 2013
Cetais said:
WHAT? Sorey is the Sheperd!? Who would have thought?

I know right. It's not like I could see it coming from a hundred miles away *sarcasm*
Jul 25, 2016 1:24 AM
Mar 2016
davidphamle said:
Cetais said:
WHAT? Sorey is the Sheperd!? Who would have thought?

I know right. It's not like I could see it coming from a hundred miles away *sarcasm*
Obvious from episode 1 I think...
Jul 25, 2016 1:52 AM

May 2011
Kingof1k said:
davidphamle said:

Yeah it's kind of obvious from the start the MC would be the Sheppard/Hero. They like advertise him in the OP from the get go.

But at least he isn't just another "ordinary high school boy" trope.

He's the classic, but less used, Orphan MC with special powers. Mowgli raised by ghosts.

------------------------------------------

The story is still a bit bland and the dialogue is mundane. But still the art and action sequences make this story seem much better and enjoyable than you'd normally rate.

CirrisJul 25, 2016 1:58 AM
Jul 25, 2016 2:06 AM

Jul 2007
Annnnd the annoying screentime hogging redhead bitch is here! Rejoice...not. She was one of the most annoying and unneeded characters in the game and she remains such here. Just murder her brutally and have Alisha take her place in the story. Would improve it quite a bit.

Overall this is just as predictable as in the game - the chaste heroic orphan MC is the savior! WHO WOULDA THUNK! NOVAI! HOW COULD IT BE! I guess no matter how much one changes you can't just fix a fundamentally flawed narrative that made no sense in the game.

The 3d cgi poorly made backgrounds everywhere still are jarring especially with contrast to good 2d art backgrounds in closeups. And the dragon thing was jarring as hell. At least Ufo did the water-y effect better here than the abomination that was water-skeletons in UBW.

Talking about animation quality - the animation has worsened A LOT in this episode. They did some clever things like blurring out the crowd faces to hide the ms paint expressions and stuff, but stuff still was noticeable especially in the fight:

As always ufo tries to hide stuff like that with sfx spam.

Soundtrack was awesome this episode. However the fight scenes themselves while better directed and with clearer tells than the mess in last episode, were still pretty much overblowing with effects and with not much actual camerawork.

Overall still decent popcorn generic show that one uses to pass the time. Does not do anything special or different or impressive but serviceable enough in this relatively empty season.

3/5
AhenshihaelJul 25, 2016 2:12 AM
Jul 25, 2016 2:06 AM
Mar 2016
Cirris said:
Kingof1k said:

Yeah it's kind of obvious from the start the MC would be the Sheppard/Hero. They like advertise him in the OP from the get go.

But at least he isn't just another "ordinary high school boy" trope.

He's the classic, but less used, Orphan MC with special powers. Mowgli raised by ghosts.

------------------------------------------

The story is still a bit bland and the dialogue is mundane. But still the art and action sequences make this story seem much better and enjoyable than you'd normally rate.

Have you play the game? I haven't
Jul 25, 2016 2:54 AM

Oct 2014
Welp, now I know that ufotable is using magic to make an Anime that looks better than the game... WP ufotable, WP.

My only complain is Lailah VA... But I guess I have no choice but to cope with it.
Jul 25, 2016 3:03 AM

Sep 2010
I sure enjoyed this episode a lot. Plot aside, I can watch this and enjoy it for animation alone and effects alone, I sure did not expect to see the "fire bankai" so soon though but it truly looks awesome.

Story wise, well I know the extend of the game storlyine and know it's characters and while there is the ultimate ending for MC which awesome, other than that, the storyline and it's characters are all average-good with nothing great (other than the ending).

So far, there sure are some changes in comparison to the game, there sure weren't any dragons in this section, the red bankai comes slightly later as well. Then again the place it first appears is so insignificant that it probably will be skipped. In this episode there were some changes and the insignificant parts were skipped and the way they did it was great. Then again they well expanded on meeting the fox guy again as jumping on the roofs of the buildings is always awesome thing to see.

Still in the end so far the story did not stray away from the game storyline just yet but that's what I expected. From now on though the XX-hour long gameplay truly begins with helion-hunting and I really wonder how are they going to direct the storyline from now on as that's the important part.

Will they have completely anime original storyline or will they use the game storyline and cut away unnecessary parts and somehow glue the story together? For someone who played the game I would surely prefer the former but if the second comes to be that's also fine if it's done so masterfully like in this EP.
Jul 25, 2016 3:18 AM

Aug 2015
so far it's interesting.

hope there was more action though. at least dont kill the hellion in one final blow.
Jul 25, 2016 3:26 AM

Aug 2008
D-Joe said:
It's pretty nice that UFO keep improving Alisha's role.

I say, fuck yeah!

Kudos to their animation team, too. Really crisp and cool action scenes.

I hope this gets a second season... I don't mind waiting till next year to get more of this.
Jul 25, 2016 3:30 AM
Jul 2015
astroprogs said:

Every anime CGI at the moment is "crappy CGI". I wish the studios to just drop it until the technology matures more because all the current implementations will date every show that use them. I know that they use it to save money, but that doesn't really excuse anything in my eyes.

They use it because it is a better option since not every Animator is capable of drawing a flying dragon and it would require much more effort to do so doing these stuff in CG is better unless Bandai gives them a good schedule which doesn't happen too. CG costs more and CG animator have a higher salary so it is not because money.
Jul 25, 2016 3:46 AM

Aug 2010
Frozenkex said:
astroprogs said:
Well, ufo obscures everything with digital effects, not just the CGI.

Well, i think the word "obscures" is misleading. As it implies they are hiding something, or that their key animation is of low quality. But its not. The effects are not there to hide something or take away from experience, but rather add to it in various ways. Adding those effects is more time consuming and more expensive than... not adding them.

I'll assume you're talking solely about stuff like characters or monsters etc in 2D anime ?

Well i'd argue that Berserker in F/Z didn't look bad at all. Same goes for Sabers motorcycle, and that was quite a while ago. Ufotable has shown that they are better at this stuff than most studios. Maybe Production I.G is on par?

I guess Berserker was CGId for more odd, otherworldly feel but I could argue the same thing for monsters in Zestiria, since normal people can't see them. And its worth thinking about what would you get if CGI wasn't used instead?

I haven't played the game myself, but one thing to consider is that it would probably feel less odd to people who played the game, since the game is in 3D, so CGI in anime are more detailed versions of the game equivalents anyway.

ufo's animation is of a standard quality most of the time. They use digital effects to "obscure" its standard frame rate (usually ~12FPS) and make it appear smoother than it actually drawn (~24). That's a good thing and was never meant as a criticism.

CG generally looks better with rendering solid objects with fixed dimensions, like Berserker's armor and Saber's bike, than curved ones with dynamic shapes, Caster's water skeletons and the dragon/monster in this episode. So, not all CGI are created equal. Even in the case of "good CGI" we still see all the imperfections mentioned before that could have been avoided by drawing everything by hand. A lot of people would argue that the CGI in F/Z was jarring and bad-looking. Relatively, it's better than most CGI implementations out there, but that's irrelevant. Objectively, it look worse than 2D hand-drawn animation.

Current CGI looks fake and "not there" in the 2D environmrnt and i doubt that this is what they had in mind when they did it. It doesn't make the 3D renders have an "otherworldly feeling", it makes them look like a 3D model pasted on top of a 2D one. It doesn't belong, and not in the good way.

Whether it looks good to the people who played the game or not is irrelevant to this discussion. It still looks bad.

Frozenkex said:
Also some things are probably only possible with CGI within reasonable(permissible) timeframe.

Yes, and that logic works when someone in the animation studio is talking to their boss. This is irrelevant to the viewer.

Dab1za9 said:
astroprogs said:

They use it because it is a better option since not every Animator is capable of drawing a flying dragon and it would require much more effort to do so doing these stuff in CG is better unless Bandai gives them a good schedule which doesn't happen too. CG costs more and CG animator have a higher salary so it is not because money.

Giving a longer schedule WILL cost them money. CG saves them time and money compared to drawing more highly-detailed smooth 2D frames. It's the only reason CG was ever used at all.
astroprogsJul 25, 2016 3:58 AM
Jul 25, 2016 4:20 AM
Jul 2015
astroprogs said:

ufo's animation is of a standard quality most of the time. They use digital effects to "obscure" its standard frame rate (usually ~12FPS) and make it appear than it actually drawn (~24). That's a good thing and was never meant as a criticism.

Digital effect doesn't do that and Most anime are drawn on 3s so there isn't any 24 fps anime except Akira.

Dab1za9 said:

Giving a longer schedule WILL cost them money. CG saves them time and money compared to drawing more highly-detailed smooth 2D frames. It's the only reason CG was ever used at all.

Nope 2d dragon like that will cost less if they have an animator capable of drawing it, Animator are paid by cuts so whether it is a human, mecha or a dragon it will cost the same.
Jul 25, 2016 4:31 AM

Oct 2013
Great episode, the visuals of the fight were nice and all, more importantly Laila is cute. :>
Jul 25, 2016 4:40 AM

Aug 2010
Dab1za9 said:
Digital effect doesn't do that and Most anime are drawn on 3s so there isn't any 24 fps anime except Akira.

Please re-read the quote you replied to. I didn't say they're drwan at 24 FPS, i said the digital effects render at that framerate.

Dab1za9 said:

Nope 2d dragon like that will cost less if they have an animator capable of drawing it, Animator are paid by cuts so whether it is a human, mecha or a dragon it will cost the same.

You're missing the point. All frames are paid for the same amount, but they don't all require the same mount of time to draw because of the level of detail and such. Only animators are paid by the frames, the others are not. If the animator takes too much time drawing highly detailed frames, the production schedule will be affected and the committee will be forced to extend the deadline reducing the number of shows the studio and the producer can output each year, lowering their yearly revenue.

CG is a time saver and, by extension, a money saver.
Jul 25, 2016 5:08 AM
Jul 2015
astroprogs said:

Please re-read the quote you replied to. I didn't say they're drwan at 24 FPS, i said the digital effects render at that framerate.

You said that digital effect make 12 fps look like 24 fps which isn't true ? digital effect aren't even capable of doing that.

Dab1za9 said:

You're missing the point. All frames are paid for the same amount, but they don't all require the same mount of time to draw because of the level of detail and such. Only animators are paid by the frames, the others are not. If the animator takes too much time drawing highly detailed frames, the production schedule will be affected and the committee will be forced to extend the deadline reducing the number of shows the studio and the producer can output each year, lowering their yearly revenue.
CG is a time saver and, by extension, a money saver.[/quote]

I can agree on that.
Jul 25, 2016 5:14 AM

Mar 2012
Ah, finally my favorite Seraphim, Lailah in action!
Surprised that Sorey had armatizaed with Lailah as soon as the former becomes the Shepherd not that I'm complaining though.

Credit to Hihanteki
Jul 25, 2016 5:19 AM

Jan 2016
Shrimperor said:
So Arthur finally takes Fire-Excalibur, which comes with a free cute Lailah, and starts his Journey.
And lel Mikleo in the preview.

So i am not the only one xD

LOL! That lewd scene XD
Jul 25, 2016 5:23 AM

Aug 2011
I hate Rose, hopefully they improve her character somehow throughout the anime. If the fire armatization happened this early, then
Jul 25, 2016 5:37 AM

Aug 2010
Dab1za9 said:

You said that digital effect make 12 fps look like 24 fps which isn't true ? digital effect aren't even capable of doing that.

I said they "obscure" the standard framerate of the 2D animation. They give the illusion that the whole scene was drawn at a high framerate by overlaying the original standard-framerate animation with high-framerate digital effects.

Here are some examples of this from UBW:
astroprogsJul 25, 2016 5:45 AM
Jul 25, 2016 6:03 AM

Jan 2015
Fai said:

Talking about animation quality - the animation has worsened A LOT in this episode. They did some clever things like blurring out the crowd faces to hide the ms paint expressions and stuff, but stuff still was noticeable especially in the fight:

OH. MY. GOD.
THAT'S SOME CANCEROUS KEY FRAME ANIMATION. 1/10

Even you could draw it better.
Jul 25, 2016 6:05 AM
Jul 2015
astroprogs said:
Dab1za9 said:

I said they "obscure" the standard framerate of the 2D animation. They give the illusion that the whole scene was drawn at a high framerate by overlaying the original standard-framerate animation with high-framerate digital effects.

Here Saber and Berserker were animated at the standard framerate, but Excalibur's Invisible Air, the sparks resulting from the violent contact and the correspondent glow on Berserker's sword and Saber's armor are all rendered at full 24 FPS giving the feel that the entire scene is much smoother than it'd have been if those effects weren't digitally rendered like the other parts of that shot.

Here, once again, Berserker and Saber's movements are all animated at standard framerate, but the digitally rendered and overliad shockwave and sparks are all rendered at 24 FPS, achieving the same effect as above.

Some of this may not be as noticeable in those gifs due to their lower framerate, especially the first one, so checking the source should make this more pronounced.[/spoiler]

I am not seeing what you are referring too, the scene you linked is just well animated and doesn't have to be 24Fps to look smooth it was animated by Ikariya Atsushi easily one the best animator and this is his style, It isn't animated in 24 and doesn't look like 24.
Jul 25, 2016 6:12 AM

Aug 2010
Dab1za9 said:

I am not seeing what you are referring too, the scene you linked is just well animated and doesn't have to be 24Fps to look smooth it was animated by Ikariya Atsushi easily one the best animator and this is his style, It isn't animated in 24 and doesn't look like 24.

Again, i'm talking about the digital effects, not the 2D animated parts. The 2D animation doesn't look 24 FPS because it's not animated at 24 FPS, but the whole scene looks overall smoother due to the 24 FPS rendered digital effects.
Jul 25, 2016 6:16 AM

Jan 2015
astroprogs said:
They use digital effects to "obscure" its standard frame rate (usually ~12FPS) and make it appear smoother than it actually drawn (~24).

You're right that digital effects are rendered at 24 fps, but youre jumping to conclusions to say that the reason they use them and have them is to "obscure" or even to make the animation look smoother.

The effects we're talking about, like sparks or splashes, glints of weapons, flahes or dust, smoke just look better than the alternatives, give actions more emphasis and easier to follow, make impacts more pronounced and give a feel of more polished product, you could say its subjective, but at least ufotable thinks so and is part of their thing.

There are moments in anime where its drawn in 1s which is usually during slow-mo moments or some moment needing the extra detail and emphasis and there are moments like that in Ufotable stuff too, and they don't really rely on effects to accomplish that.

And, from what I've seen, even if you take effects out of the equation their animation will usually be smoother than most anime, due to more key frames or in-between frames.

There are some effects in particular that can give appearance of smoother animation, like camera movement, pan, zoom, sometimes motion blur but that's available to everyone (i think) and I don't think you're referring to those.

And if the result of effects is that it appears smoother, i wouldn't say that that's the main purpose of those effects nor "obscuring".

Objectively, it look worse than 2D hand-drawn animation.

I fail to see how it makes "objectively look worse" since its inherently subjective. Where is the science? Most anime is in 2D so most people prefer 2D and they have a difficulty to enjoy or get used to anime that is in 3D (yeah its a different thing, but still) But people can get accustomed to this sort of thing, unless they are already, coming from the game which is all 3d.

Now if we are talking about a 2D drawn monster instead of 3D one, which does exactly same movements and emulates similar effects at 12 fps (in ideal world), how much better would it look?

But in reality, they wouldn't animate 2D drawn monster in a short scene like this in that manner. To save time they'd almost certainly just make him a lot less animated, doing a lot less things for the sake of simplicity and you'd get what amounts to moving/flying statue and a lot more bland monster.
Would that be better than the CGI monster we got? I don't think so. But who knows.

Ofcourse i think its far from amazing, and if the "final boss" or some significant enemy looks no better than this one, then I'll probably be a little disappointed. But I think they can make it work even if its CGI.
FrozenkexJul 25, 2016 6:58 AM
Jul 25, 2016 6:36 AM
Dec 2015
Slow start but now I feel like it's starting to pick up! Love the action and the characters designs are amazing! Having seen much like this! Love the power up and really excited to see where this goes!'
Jul 25, 2016 6:43 AM

Aug 2010
Frozenkex said:
You're right that digital effects are rendered at 24 fps, but youre jumping to conclusions to say that the reason they use them and have them is to "obscure" or even to make the animation look smoother.

The effects we're talking about, like sparks or splashes, glints of weapons, flahes or dust, smoke just look better than the alternatives, give actions more emphasis and easier to follow, make impacts more pronounced and give a feel of more polished product, you could say its subjective, but at least ufotable thinks so and is part of their thing.

There are moments in anime where its drawn in 1s which is usually during slow-mo moments or some moment needing the extra detail and emphasis and there are moments like that in Ufotable stuff too, and they don't really rely on effects to accomplish that.

And, from what I've seen, even if you take effects out of the equation their animation will usually be smoother than most anime, due to more key frames or in-between frames.

There are some effects in particular that can give appearance of smoother animation, like camera movement, pan, zoom, sometimes motion blur but that's available to everyone (i think) and I don't think you're referring to those.

And if the result of effects is that it appears smoother, i wouldn't say that that's the main purpose of those effects nor "obscuring".

But i never said that this was its only purpose, though? ufo's Digital Team blog is full of examples of their additions to the 2D art to make it look so much better.

It's undeniable that merging higher framerate components into an image, it WILL make it look smoother. This side effect is present in ufo's works, whether they intend it or not, and it's hard for me to imagine that it's unintentional.

The original argument was that the digital effects obscure the imperfections in the 3D rendering of models in 2D environemts. The rendering of those 3D models is usually at 24 FPS, so rendering the digital effects at that framerate bridges the gap a lot between the 2D components and the 3D, especilly when those 2D components usually don't have lot of in-between frames.

Frozenkex said:

I fail to see how it make it "objectively looks worse" since its inherently subjective. Where is the science? Most anime is in 2D so most people prefer 2D and they have a difficulty to enjoy or get used to anime that is in 3D (yeah its a different thing, but still) But people can get accustomed to this sort of thing, unless they are already, coming from the game which is all 3d.

Now if we are talking about a 2D drawn monster instead of 3D one, which does exactly same movements and emulates similar effects at 12 fps (in ideal world), how much better would it look?

But in reality, they wouldn't animate 2D drawn monster in a short scene like this in that manner. To save time they'd almost certainly just make him a lot less animated, doing a lot less things for the sake of simplicity and you'd get what amounts to moving/flying statue and a lot more bland monster.
Would that be better than the CGI monster we got? I don't think so. But who knows.

Ofcourse i think its far from amazing, and if the "final boss" or some significant enemy looks no better than this one, then I'll probably be a little disappointed. But I think they can make it work even if its CGI.

Fair enough. People's tastes differ in appreciating different things. It's wrong of me to declare something to be "objectively" worse.

The thing with 3D rendering is that it looks out of place in 2D environments, so a 2D drawn monster at a high framerate, ala western animation, will look infinitely better than the 3D one at the same framerate IMO. If it was animated at 12 FPS, then it wouldn't look s smooth as the 3D one, but this sluggishness is shared cross the board so it won't appear as jarring.

The key part here is essentially: "to save time, they're making some compromises and trying their best to not make it as noticeable". That's commendable on its own, but it wouldn't, nor should it IMO, change how i critique the final product.
astroprogsJul 25, 2016 6:46 AM
Jul 25, 2016 6:45 AM

Jan 2015
Xenocrisi said:
Fai said:

OH. MY. GOD.

I guess he's running out of things to use as "Here i told u, ufo is shit" sort of thing. Now he's gonna take a distant keyframe of a character in motion as some sort of example.
Fai said:
They did some clever things like blurring out the crowd faces to hide ...

Guess he never heard of Depth of Field effect?

astroprogs said:

I checked your examples and I'm not seeing it the way you do.. It doesn't make it necessarily look smoother, the animation itself is already pretty detailed and definitely not choppy, and all of these effects are in-line with what you'd expect from a servant battle. Sparks and shockwaves to emphasize the power of characters, which is how often such fights are described to look in source material. Their role there is not to obscure or hide or make it smoother, but to represent the actions of those characters the way ufotable envisioned it.

If you believe it also makes it smoother, then great, but that's not their purpose.
I checked that part a few times in source, and if anything, then the thing that makes it appear smoother to me are slight camera movements and occasional blur during some motion and impacts.
It's undeniable that merging higher framerate components into an image, it WILL make it look smoother. This side effect is present in ufo's works, whether they intend it or not, and it's hard for me to imagine that it's unintentional.

Yes, "a side effect" is a good way to describe how they affect smoothness. It's like, "why not" , there is little reason to render the effects at lower framerate.
Calling it "obscuring" sounds more like a kneejerk reaction someone going "too many flashes, all flash no substance" sort of thing, really not the best term.

FrozenkexJul 25, 2016 7:48 AM
Jul 25, 2016 7:55 AM

Dec 2015
Was okay.Action is nice but I'd prefer if humans finally could started the Seraphim instead of only Sorey being able to see both. Would make for more interaction and fun.

Episodes 1-2 weren't that interseting but now that they are back in the human world/kingdom ...

I'll decide after episode 4 if I should drop or continue. Still other better fantasy which I am watching airing and I usually don't need that many fantasy.

But the pretty high score here surprises me. I guess peole like good action/animation. Story ... not much happened so far. Probably got a boost in score from the people that know/like the games. (I think such plot is better suited for game with interaction only watcing did not seem that intersting to me at the moment. 6-7 my personal score.)
Jul 25, 2016 8:05 AM

Feb 2016
Ok woah. Dem action scenes made me hard. Great job UFO.
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Jul 25, 2016 8:17 AM

Sep 2011
Apparently the next 2 episodes will be about velvet through edna talking about how her brother fell in line with "that monster".

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 25, 2016 8:24 AM

Oct 2015
Madlib said:
Amazing episode. Loved the visuals and Sorey was badass. Looks like the game wasn't that good that people are loving the changes. lol
This episode was fricking awesome. I'm a sucker for epic fantasies so this one is right up my alley.
Vesselatio said:
Frozenkex said:

Just watching it was afraid the episode gonna end without seeing Sorey doing stuff.

Exactly my thought during half of the episode before sorey pull the sword,
and it turns out he is doing those fiery amazing stuffs. so yeah it GOOD

I kept checking if the episode was about to get over praying that they show it this episode itself.

Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
Jul 25, 2016 8:25 AM

Jul 2007
Xenocrisi said:
Fai said:

OH. MY. GOD.

A critique is not dependent upon personal ability.
Frames like that are clear cut point of what I am talking about - ufo obscuring lower quality shots with over-abundance of special effects. Which for a lot of people then looks like "great animation". It also explains away the myth of "huge budget" and the like.
Its also objective fact that animation had a lot more off-model shots this episode than in previous three.
AhenshihaelJul 25, 2016 8:31 AM
Jul 25, 2016 8:44 AM

Jul 2013
Was kind of on the fence about this series but I think I'll stick with it. This episode was a lot more interesting. Hopefully I won't be totally confused later on having not played the games.

I know this is an odd question but for those that have played the game can humans see Sorey's new form? I got the impression that while he was in that state, he was invisible to them since he had fused with Lailah.
Jul 25, 2016 8:48 AM

Nov 2013
-Dizzy- said:
Was kind of on the fence about this series but I think I'll stick with it. This episode was a lot more interesting. Hopefully I won't be totally confused later on having not played the games.

I know this is an odd question but for those that have played the game can humans see Sorey's new form? I got the impression that while he was in that state, he was invisible to them since he had fused with Lailah.

They can see him, but they see him in his normal form... perfoming strange acts that seem impossible... it gets better shown later one.

Also, humans transformed in Hellions, like the fox guy, are seen as normal people by regular humans too.
Jul 25, 2016 9:04 AM

Jul 2013
VierMill said:
-Dizzy- said:

They can see him, but they see him in his normal form... perfoming strange acts that seem impossible... it gets better shown later one.

Also, humans transformed in Hellions, like the fox guy, are seen as normal people by regular humans too.

I thought so at first but I wasn't sure if he appeared normal like you said or was completely invisible since he was fused with Lailah. Thanks for the clarification.
Jul 25, 2016 10:23 AM

Feb 2015
astroprogs said:
Frozenkex said:

ufo's animation is of a standard quality most of the time. They use digital effects to "obscure" its standard frame rate (usually ~12FPS) and make it appear smoother than it actually drawn (~24). That's a good thing and was never meant as a criticism.

CG generally looks better with rendering solid objects with fixed dimensions, like Berserker's armor and Saber's bike, than curved ones with dynamic shapes, Caster's water skeletons and the dragon/monster in this episode. So, not all CGI are created equal. Even in the case of "good CGI" we still see all the imperfections mentioned before that could have been avoided by drawing everything by hand. A lot of people would argue that the CGI in F/Z was jarring and bad-looking. Relatively, it's better than most CGI implementations out there, but that's irrelevant. Objectively, it look worse than 2D hand-drawn animation.

Current CGI looks fake and "not there" in the 2D environmrnt and i doubt that this is what they had in mind when they did it. It doesn't make the 3D renders have an "otherworldly feeling", it makes them look like a 3D model pasted on top of a 2D one. It doesn't belong, and not in the good way.

Whether it looks good to the people who played the game or not is irrelevant to this discussion. It still looks bad.

Frozenkex said:

Yes, and that logic works when someone in the animation studio is talking to their boss. This is irrelevant to the viewer.

Dab1za9 said:

I will argue your point that F/Z's CG is "objectively" worse than 2D. I personally feel that Berserker would have been a much less intimidating character had he been drawn in 2D. The CG armor and black mist surrounding him was probably the best CG I've seen in an anime thus far. It was just the perfect style for him. So, no, 2D is not objectively better in that particular instance. For the most part though, yes.

The dragon was okay in my book as well. Sure, it was jarring, I'll give it that. But I didn't think it looked awful. Compared to Ajin or Berserk it looked like a masterpiece, so I'm not one to shit on something that looks better than it's competitors (CG compared to CG.)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2016 12:02 PM

Jan 2014
Fai said:
Xenocrisi said:

OH. MY. GOD.

Frames like that are clear cut point of what I am talking about - ufo obscuring lower quality shots with over-abundance of special effects. Which for a lot of people then looks like "great animation". It also explains away the myth of "huge budget" and the like.
Its also objective fact that animation had a lot more off-model shots this episode than in previous three.

Taking a random frame in an action sequence to criticize the animation. Making so much sense.

Something never changes.
Jul 25, 2016 1:00 PM

Jul 2010
Wow just wow. I'm loving this series so much. This episode was amazing it had such suspense and build up and the animation was top notch. Seriously think that this is the best anime of the season.
Jul 25, 2016 1:13 PM

Aug 2011
Just_Chicken said:
Fai said:

Taking a random frame in an action sequence to criticize the animation. Making so much sense.

Something never changes.

It's not even a critique. Fai just complains about something he has already criticized. Most of the stuff that he says is just nitpicks. Every animation studio has their flaws. Ufotable is a team of imperfect human beings. Even the studios that he loves aren't perfect.
Jul 25, 2016 1:39 PM
Aug 2011
Lailah's VA :( After hearing her for a long time playing the game, its kind of sad to hear another voice for her. Oh well, it can't be helped.
And I didn't like the armatization so early, in the games Sorey had a bit of trouble on understading and controling it, now he just use it seconds after becoming the shepherd like it's the most normal thing for him. Except for that, I like how they expand the political conflicts in the anime. I can't wait for Edna.
And Rose>>>>Alisha. Alisha isn't bad, but Rose is cuter, Alisha's role is more important to the story overall, but Rose is the one with Sorey most of the time, and I like her.
Jul 25, 2016 2:33 PM
Jul 2009
Xarvyn said:
This was a pretty great episode, I'm just a little pissed that the malevolence didn't turn people into Hellions like it did in the game. I felt like that scene showed malevolence being more of a threat because it can corrupt humans just by being in the air.

I actually liked that change though. It doesn't make any sense for people to become hellions just by being stressed out and afraid. The whole country would have already turned into monsters if that's all it took.

Frankly, the way the malevolence worked in the game was a total nonsense so I'm glad they're making some changes in that respect.
Jul 25, 2016 2:34 PM
Mar 2015
Just_Chicken said:
Fai said:

Something never changes.

I know right! He even prays Bones so much, even though their animation is dynamic but each frame is scrubby
Jul 25, 2016 2:41 PM

Jan 2014
Xarvyn said:
Just_Chicken said:

Something never changes.

It's not even a critique. Fai just complains about something he has already criticized. Most of the stuff that he says is just nitpicks. Every animation studio has their flaws. Ufotable is a team of imperfect human beings. Even the studios that he loves aren't perfect.

This isn't an animated movie with huge budget. A low quality shot here and there are expected, especially in fast action sequences (which normal people don't watch frame-by-frame). This holds true for every anime regardless of the studio.

Pulling out a bad frame among thousands of good ones doesn't make any sense.
Jul 25, 2016 2:51 PM
Jul 2009
Nyan-nyan100 said:

And Rose>>>>Alisha. Alisha isn't bad, but Rose is cuter, Alisha's role is more important to the story overall, but Rose is the one with Sorey most of the time, and I like her.

I didn't like Rose at all in the game. She came across as a bit of a May Sue, and the game also tried to make her a foil to Sorey and that never worked for me.

I like what the anime is doing with her character though. She has been downplayed a bit, and it looks like Ufo will make her a foil to Alisha instead of Sorey. That might work better for her character. We'll have wait and see.
Jul 25, 2016 2:52 PM

Jul 2007
Xarvyn said:

Just because something keeps being a flaw over course of multiple shows or adaptations, does not suddenly make it "not a critique". If you honestly believe I am saying exact same things each time, then you really are not reading the actual posts.

Also "others do it too!" is not an excuse. Especially not in a show which is judged mainly only on the animation and action.When a narrative is breath-takingly complex and directing damn good you can excuse bad animation here and there, even if it still bugs a trained eye. However Zestria's strong point IS the fights and eyecandy. It is not adapting some complex narrative and it's directing is very typical and uninspired. So yes, judging the show based on it's strengths is not wrong. In case of Zestiria that's action scenes and eyecandy. Its the main reason to watch the show and its the main possible way to separate it from dozens of thousands of other fantasy stories. AND scenery shots and flashy fights ARE Ufo's strong points. You don't judge an action blockbuster or michael bay style movies on their philosophical themes and narrative(well unless its really good), you judge them on the stunts and explosions and all the stuff like that. This is no different. Zestiria is a typical generic fantasy about heroic chaste guy and his party blowing evil monsters up with his magic super sayian form and his magic sword. So it makes sense to critique problems with that.

And yes, even studios I love are not exempt. Bones is near perfect studio, a studio that brought us the top1 anime of the year with Conrevo, but they still produced some stinkers(EX: BokuHero)..
AhenshihaelJul 25, 2016 3:03 PM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

188 by bushman66 »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

138 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

105 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:30 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

128 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jul 10, 2016

220 by bushman66 »»
Nov 22, 2023 11:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.