Forum Settings
Forums

what was your biggest anime disappointment?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 21, 2016 2:09 AM

Aug 2013
Pupa, I'm not kidding.

Back in the days I haven't really read much about it. After just perusing the synopsis I was like" it will be at least okay".

OH BOY!!! I WAS SO WRONG.
Jul 21, 2016 2:19 AM

Jul 2015
Texhnolyze. I laughed a lot, especially when I wasn't supposed to.

Area 88 (TV). It's hard to believe that thing came after the OVA. It's worse in every possible way than it's predecessor.

Steins;Gate.
Jul 21, 2016 2:49 AM

Mar 2015
Oreshura.
Because that **cki** MC chose new gf instead of childhood friend. MC should die in pain.
Jul 21, 2016 2:57 AM

Dec 2012
Tokyo Ghoul. x)

Insanity- said:
TadpoleSHero said:
Sword Art Online. The concept is AMAZING, the first episode was absolutely perfect, too. And then it fell apart so quickly, abandoning the fantastic concept, resolving the intital arc way too quickly, and devolving into a harem anime where the main character gets married like 6 episodes in (so what's the point of the harem?). Among many other issues, SAO just burned me so bad. Love the idea, and the first episode is amazing. And the music and animation is fantastic, even as the writing and story devolves into nothingness.
YES, THIS!! I was so excited for this anime with the way it was hyped up and all just to be let down. It begun to focus way too much on the romance and less on the action. I don't even want to talk about the second last arc. It just went completely downhill after the first few episodes.
+1

Milennin said:
No Game No Life: I totally love the artstyle, the colouring, the world. I was disappointed by the story that seemed rushed and still unfinished at the end.
Agreed, but it was less disappointed for me than SAO and TG.
Jul 21, 2016 3:21 AM

Feb 2015
Greed said:
Milennin said:
No Game No Life: I totally love the artstyle, the colouring, the world. I was disappointed by the story that seemed rushed and still unfinished at the end.
Agreed, but it was less disappointed for me than SAO and TG.
I forgot to mention Sword Art Online in my post. Yeah, that one was pretty bad. Was hoping to get some epic survival anime in an MMO setting, but then get something entirely different instead. :(
Jul 21, 2016 3:23 AM

May 2015
Mayoiga and Big Order
Was expecting a lot from these 2 anime, and was greatly disappointed.
Jul 21, 2016 3:25 AM

Jan 2014
Despair_Queen said:
Mayoiga and Big Order
Was expecting a lot from these 2 anime, and was greatly disappointed.

Big order especially..... Way to rush a series and put it togehter in 11 episodes....
Jul 21, 2016 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
Charlotte. For some reason I was hyped.
Jul 21, 2016 5:10 AM

Jun 2016
One Punch Man
When it started airing I wasn't interested in it but when it started to get poplar I wanted to give it a try & I hope I didn't I mean I liked everything about the anime but the episodes was just so boooring
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2016 7:46 AM

Apr 2015
Also tokyo ghoul root a, made me smack my head on wall.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2016 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
ExTemplar said:
MiziTami said:
Log Horizon. It's OP had more action than the whole series itself. I actually enjoyed SAO exponentially MOARRR
LH was never about action, comparing it to SAO should make you feel embarrassed.

I'm a filthy casual ;_; SAO had it's fair share of trainwreck but it was definitely not wasting my time. Atleast for the first 9 episodes.
Jul 21, 2016 9:22 AM

Jan 2016
From the recent ones:

Ore Monogatari

I watched 14 episodes but i started to find it boring, i liked that the couple started dating early in the anime but now i'm struggling to finish it.

Nisemonogatari

It felt like it was 60% fanservice and 40% of actual plot. The fanservice on 14 years old girls bothered me.
Johnnyd3rpJul 21, 2016 9:29 AM
Jul 21, 2016 9:30 AM

May 2009
SAO GGO Arc

Read books before hand and somehow thought that GGO would be better than the first half of SAO. It wasn't.

Berserk (2016) is really looking to top that though. What I wanted was an Anime adaptation. What I'm getting isn't that. The show might be good, but definitely not the show I was expecting.
Jul 21, 2016 10:29 AM

Jun 2016
Attack on Titan - Nothing was going for it except for the OST and animation imo
FMA: Brotherhood - Expected it be one of the greatest animes out there that people made it out to me but just thought it was good
Jul 21, 2016 10:44 AM
Dec 2013
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. I thought it'd be good, but it turned out to be bad.
Jul 21, 2016 11:01 AM

Nov 2015
Nagiasu
Shiki (show stinks)
Summer Wars (was ok but definitely overhyped)

recently:
Bungou Stray Dogs
Mayoiga
Charlotte (it was ok but I expected more)
Jul 21, 2016 11:21 AM
Apr 2016
Ao No Exorcist(blue exorcist) my friends hyped me up for it and said it was one of the best anime they have watched but it was a total let down
Jul 21, 2016 11:34 AM

Oct 2014
I found Another to be quite disappointing. People said it was a great comedy, but I didn't find it very funny. It wasn't scary or interesting, either. Generally it was just a shitty anime.
Jul 21, 2016 11:46 AM
May 2015
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! - This anime looked like a boy version spin-off of Sailor Moon. I was definitely super excited to watch it, but it didn't live up to what I expected. I dropped it after like 2 or 3 eps because I was that uninterested, and I never drop an anime.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri - Man was I super hyped to watch this. It looked hardcore and different from other action shit, especially with it being categorized as a horror as well. Alas, it didn't provide what I thought it would. It was interesting at first, but died off around episode 7 for me. I really only finished it because it was more than halfway over (I watched it as it aired). I think giving it a [5/10] was pretty generous of me tbh.
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Jul 21, 2016 12:29 PM
Jul 2015
baccano and steins gate i tough it will be good but it was a big disappointment
Jul 21, 2016 12:50 PM

Jan 2015
Would be Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, I was excited to watch, it had a big potential... but it was a big disappointment in the end.
Baccano!, people love this, and for me it was meh...

And Ghost in the Shell: The Movie, I was told that this was the best movie ever, but for me it was a disappointment, only the visual and art is that good.
Jul 21, 2016 1:02 PM

Jun 2014
Nichijou - i thought it would be at least a bit funny.
Jul 21, 2016 1:16 PM

May 2014
Requiem for the Phantom started out amazingly IMO, and even the time skip near the middle was done properly. But then they try to introduce a "main villain" type thing for the protagonists to take out, and the show was really good until a somewhat anticlimactic final battle that felt like it was from a whole different series.
Jul 21, 2016 1:19 PM

Oct 2012
As far as my biggest disappointment goes, I'll have to say Bakemonotagari. It wasn't bad, it looked beautiful and the characters are pretty interesting, just not as amazing as I'd hoped. Then again, not helping was that I only saw the first episode, then I went on to watch Madlax, and I ended up watching more of that instead. I need to go back and try the series again so I can get a better judgement of the series.
What can I say? Whatever I feel like...

...or what's appropriate.
Jul 21, 2016 1:35 PM

Apr 2014
Attack on Titan because my friends hyped it up for me so I was expecting so much and plus I don't like shows that have a main question and just drag on the question. Also I didn't see what was so cool about Levi he just seemed mean to me.
Let’s say I posed this question to you: “Can all human souls be bought with money or not?” Now remember, the keyword here is “all”. The answer is “There are times when you can buy them, and other times, not,” right? The human being… sometimes he’ll uphold his pride and conscience even if he’s offered ten billion yen, and other times he’ll murder someone over one yen. ~Izaya Ohira (Durarara)
Jul 21, 2016 1:44 PM

Jul 2016
HxH, expected something really unique but overall its just a typical Shounen, just a bit darker. Gon is an awful MC too
Jul 21, 2016 1:50 PM

Apr 2014
recent one for me has to be zankyou no terror. started strong but slowly went down hill and there's so many plot holes and things that aren't explained. i gave it a 6 because it has its moments but its pretty disappointing.
Jul 21, 2016 1:57 PM

Aug 2010
skimming through the comments it sounds like the average poster is saying

"something was hyped up to me and i fell so far deep into the hype that the show never had a chance of satisfying me"

id say gate was a pretty big disappoint for me. They set up a show where they couldve explored the horrors of war, occupation of a fantasy realm and how it affects the citizens of both world. Instead we got a show that had no idea what tone it wanted to have.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 21, 2016 2:06 PM
Oct 2015
for me it was tengen topa gurren lagan. Everybody told me it was excellent, that i had to watch it, i also found it in every anime top video, but after 17 episodes i found it really boring, absurd and childish; maybe if you are lookig for an anime for a 13 y/o boy i would recommend it, but unfortunately it wasn't for me.
Jul 21, 2016 5:38 PM

Jun 2016
Well about Charlotte what can you expect about an anime when MC in first episode do all that?
, was great, but had material for 24episodes easy, so it could be a lot better about anime/manga adaptations am really frustrated about Gantz his manga its a Masterpiece at least for me, and akame ga kill adaptation was dissapointed too
Jul 21, 2016 5:52 PM

Jul 2016
Sword Art Online

there's a reason why I stopped watching after episode 13

"We become what we think about"

If you want to succeed in life, plant the next goal you want to achieve in your brain, and work toward achieving that goal. write as specifically as you can the path you need to go through to get to the goal, and If that is really what you wished for, work toward it, and you will achieve it.
Blog

Jul 21, 2016 6:04 PM

Jul 2015
Awesomecake said:
Kotetsujou no Kabaneri. It had potential, it looked great. I mean I like both samurai and zombies, what could possiblie go wrong? And then everything did.

Yeah i agree too, it lost some points with me after Biba was introduced.
Jul 21, 2016 6:09 PM

Jul 2015
animesannin said:
Also tokyo ghoul root a, made me smack my head on wall.

For that one Pierriot pretty much disregarded how the author planned for it to go.
Jul 21, 2016 7:19 PM

Apr 2016
-Stabbed- said:
Erased had a promising start to be fair. But around midway through the show shat all over itself.
The hype for the show was unreal and it's astronomical score at the time was what got me to watch it.

The first ~6 episodes (the first girls part) were really good, and then it became a trainwreck... They could've made a good movie, but it became a decent anime, that became worse and worse, due to rushed pacing and nonsense ending (I got the ending, but it was just bad).
Jul 21, 2016 10:03 PM

Dec 2015
Great Teacher Onizuka, I thought it was going to be an amazing series that told a lot socially and it did do that, but it was too much of a joke for most of the time.
Ryo is a great composer.
Jul 21, 2016 10:38 PM

Jan 2014
davinci12 said:
Charolette. That anime is garbage, was supposed to improve on angel beats, but did everything it did wrong even worse.

Noice b8 m8, I R8 8/8 m8

OT

Erased, the first 3 episodes were great, then it just got extremely cliche and predictable.

Also Neon Genesis Evangelion was a huge letdown.
Jul 21, 2016 10:54 PM

May 2016
i would probably have to say the anime Hundred, i had a great hype for it because of the trailer and the artwork quality but i was quite dissapointed after it came out and after i watched it
Jul 21, 2016 11:00 PM

May 2016
Zankyou no terror. Lisa was pretty much useless the entire show, and her back story with her mother was only elaborated in scenes of no longer than 15 seconds. And I really couldn't ever sympathize with 12 and 9, even with the cause they had they were still terrorists who put people in life or death situations. Pretty much ended up rooting for the police to catch them the whole time.
Jul 22, 2016 3:34 AM

Jul 2016
Arcana Famiglia, anyone remember dis shit?
Jul 22, 2016 4:01 AM

Mar 2016
Ranma 1/2 REALLY let me down. I saw trailers of it on an anime DVD one day and I pledged to sit down and watch it. I thought it would be like Inuyasha since they were both made by Rumiko Takahashi, but no, they're VERY different. I have yet to finish it (and I will someday soon!) but yeah, it's really a different block party compared to the angst and drama in Inuyasha.
Jul 22, 2016 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
-Stabbed- said:
Erased had a promising start to be fair. But around midway through the show shat all over itself.
The hype for the show was unreal and it's astronomical score at the time was what got me to watch it.

Same for me. The first few ep's were really well done, but then it went downhill fast.
Jul 22, 2016 4:18 AM
May 2012
Killa La Kill

Dropped after EP 3, everything was predictable after that and there was no sense to wait again for a Ryuko vs Satsuki battle, so I quit. I know it gets better eventually but is still meh to me.
Jul 22, 2016 4:19 AM

Jun 2016
SAO and that shitty anime where they were supposed to play post-rock, but it was some other bland shit
THE SMITHS ARE THE BEST BAND
Jul 22, 2016 5:40 AM

May 2015
Shitgeki no Kyojin was supposed to be a super gripping action series at the very least but not only was it shit it was boring as fuck.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 22, 2016 6:30 AM

Dec 2013
Evangelion 2.0 was supposed to be an Evangelion movie but instead I got a product that focused far too much on appealing to consumers over crafting something meaningful.
Jul 22, 2016 2:54 PM

Oct 2013

I saw the 1st episode and I really liked it. It had all the ingredients to make an epic anime.

Amazing Visuals
Awesome Animation
Awesome Soundtrack
Seemingly Cool Characters
Really Cool Concept For a Story

It really seemed like it had it all and i was in for something special but instead i got....some...thing....its been some while now since I seen it so my memory is fuzzy but it didn't live up. 1st half was just decent enough to keep me entertained on some level. 2nd half destroyed that entertaining by turning the MC into some depressive asshole and just plain annoyed me to death so I dropped it. even the direction of the 2nd half was really cool but those things they did like I just mentioned and many other things just ruined it for me..

I REALLY wanted to like this anime but I just couldn't. I MIGHT go back 1 day and finish it off but I dunno when that'll be.

6/10
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 22, 2016 3:02 PM

Jul 2010
Mahouka Kouko no Rettousei, Shinsekai Yori, Psycho-Pass. These three are wasted potentials.
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Monogatari Series. There is no hope for these two.
OonokamiJul 22, 2016 3:21 PM
Jul 22, 2016 3:26 PM

Jul 2013
daAmazinFatB0y said:

I saw the 1st episode and I really liked it. It had all the ingredients to make an epic anime.

Amazing Visuals
Awesome Animation
Awesome Soundtrack

It really seemed like it had it all and i was in for something special but instead i got....some...thing....its been some while now since I seen it so my memory is fuzzy but it didn't live up. 1st half was just decent enough to keep me entertained on some level. 2nd half destroyed that entertaining by turning the MC into some depressive asshole and just plain annoyed me to death so I dropped it. even the direction of the 2nd half was really cool but those things they did like I just mentioned and many other things just ruined it for me..

I REALLY wanted to like this anime but I just couldn't. I MIGHT go back 1 day and finish it off but I dunno when that'll be.

6/10
You dropped the series by the 12th episode according to your list. You didn't even reached to the trainwreck episodes xD (I don't reccomend you retake the series if you didn't liked the first 12 episodes, those were the decent ones, from episode 13 to the end, you would die of cancer).
Jul 22, 2016 3:37 PM

Oct 2013
Illyricus said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Amazing Visuals
Awesome Animation
Awesome Soundtrack

6/10
You dropped the series by the 12th episode according to your list. You didn't even reached to the trainwreck episodes xD (I don't reccomend you retake the series if you didn't liked the first 12 episodes, those were the decent ones, from episode 13 to the end, you would die of cancer).

I can't even remember when i ended it lol. I think it may have been further like maybe 14 episodes. I added it to my list sometime later after I watched it.

My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 22, 2016 3:44 PM
Nov 2015
Rainbow. Not particularly because it was bad, but it's definitely not as good as the mean score or reviews would say.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

30 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

66 by shiro-seishun »»
13 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
24 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.