Forum Settings
Forums

We need the merchandising model for determining an anime's success.

New
Do you want the anime industry to adopt a merchandise based system?
Jun 28, 2016 5:09 PM

Nov 2008
This year has been abysmal in the terms of anime sales, I myself have had 2 straight failures when it comes to anime seasons, almost nothing I like sells well and it isn't a genre deal either like with those who like darker and edgier anime. The disc sales are declining, it's getting close to free fall. Then you have a large number of anime that while are perfectly good enough to support but just aren't worth spending $300+ on a set of BDs/DVDs. The Japanese economy isn't helping matters either. This is exactly why we need the merchandising model instead of the disc model, it is much easier for a fan to spend money on a clear file, figure ($14-200 average), keychain (around a few dollars), a CD ($15-30) or licensed game ($40-70) than a set of BDs and they can still have discs available but at more limited quantities. This will enable more than just the hardcore Otaku to support anime.

While I'm on merchandise, we need more games based off anime but ones that aren't VNs or Misc games, there are anime such as Date A Live that could benefit from a game that isn't a VN, heck even though Sengoku Otome was average I would've done anything to get that fighting game they just announced in 2011 or 2012 instead of this year so I could get a second season for enjoyment's sake. You can make a good fighting game with Date A Live characters. For mecha, there's no excuse because if a series can't be made into a game based off of it, they should call Banpresto for negotiations so they have get them into the next SRT, in fact every studio who does mecha should have them on speed dial as a requirement to even take on a mecha anime. Then there's the "when in doubt, go the Musou route for some anime series" Also, anime that can't be made into a game should have a decent amount of merchandise, with some exceptions there's a market for merchandise for every anime.

So do you want a transition from disc based to merchandise based model to ensure the industry's survival?

Jun 28, 2016 5:20 PM

Feb 2013
eh... the industry seems fine as it is... remember that report? http://imgur.com/a/PmUFR

and after glancing over recent disk sales for the nth time, i dont think they're declining at all

and many anime already have some sort of official merchandise, don't they?

as for the video games part, i don't think that would be profitable except for the most popular of anime (oreimo, monogatari, madoka, many shounen titles.. already have video games)
and the threshold for popularity would be even higher for an international release
Jun 28, 2016 7:48 PM

Jun 2007
So do you want a transition from disc based to merchandise based model to ensure the industry's survival?
Aren't CDs and games also disc-type products? They'd be subject to the same extralegal market forces that may or may not be depressing DVD/BD sales of the shows themselves.
Jun 28, 2016 8:03 PM

Nov 2008
Zalis said:
Aren't CDs and games also disc-type products? They'd be subject to the same extralegal market forces that may or may not be depressing DVD/BD sales of the shows themselves.

Yes, but they aren't BDs or DVDs which the model based on those 2 formats need to go for the future of anime.

Jun 28, 2016 8:37 PM

Sep 2013
convenient, cheap, high quality
streaming is the future
embrace it and head for success

-ichii_1

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
21 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 39 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
21 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
21 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

47 by traed »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.