Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 18, 2016 12:07 PM

Oct 2013
Hi,
So as you can see, I'm wondering why this anime is so high rated. I've watched 3 episodes so far and I can't find anything interesting. The only thing which makes me continue to watch this anime is that it's really high-rated on MAL, but.. If it wasn't I probably would have dropped it..

Plz halp
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 18, 2016 12:09 PM

Jul 2011
Most of the people who completed it liked it.
May 18, 2016 12:10 PM

Apr 2014
Get past episode 11 and witness all its mighty
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2016 12:14 PM

Aug 2014
Praland said:
Most of the people who completed it liked it.
There. This. This guy! THIS GUY! He gets it! HE GETS IT!

But yeah, it's simply because a majority of the people liked it. Why did they like it?
- It has a great cast of character
- Good development, both for characters and romance
- It starts of slowly with the first 9~ish episodes being for buildup, but afterwards it pay offs with a rollercoaster ride
- Makise is actually a likeable tsundere
- Okabe is a great MC and watching his journey and progress is simply amazing; he is a guy you would love to root for
- Side characters are cool
May 18, 2016 12:25 PM

Mar 2015
^^^

cant add more... but if you doesnt really like character in the first place, i don't really think you will enjoy it...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 18, 2016 12:30 PM

Oct 2013
So after the 9-11th episode it gets interesting.. Hm well, I really hope it will 'cause so far, I'm like "What's the plot?" :(
May 18, 2016 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
Because with 557,644 the everything is a 10 crowd is sure to show up.
May 18, 2016 12:37 PM

Apr 2013
Because it's bloody fantastic, simple as that.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
May 19, 2016 4:16 PM

May 2016
Most of the animes alike Steins;Gate don't have shocking first episodes with swords and battles, its a mind blown anime you fall in love with it as much as you keep watching!
May 19, 2016 4:52 PM

Jan 2014
Me too watch it only because it's high rated. You should watch past episode 12, and everything change. Most people (including me) have underestimate it on the beginning.
May 19, 2016 5:56 PM

Mar 2014
>Why is this rated highly?
>I've only seen 3 episodes.

Good one man. Maybe get like halfway through (or at least 1/5 of the way) and then ask the question.
May 20, 2016 5:06 AM

Oct 2013
ziggy_Z said:

Good one man. Maybe get like halfway through (or at least 1/5 of the way) and then ask the question.

Finished the anime, still wondering. 🙄
May 21, 2016 7:55 AM

Jul 2014
ALBOURAX said:
ziggy_Z said:

Well, I give it a perfect score because of:
a) very good animation (with some amazing parts)
b) amazing soundtrack (OP is my favourite of all time, and the BGM is gorgeous)
c) amazing characters (Kurisu was the first loveable tsundere I've seen; Okarin is the MC I've ever seen; the supportive cast is simply the best :-))
d) masterpiece story (very complex and well thought)

Some few more words about the story.
May 21, 2016 9:07 AM

Jan 2014
Because it is the best anime ever, duh!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 21, 2016 9:10 AM

Jul 2015
is only for Scfi fans
personnaly i think it was good nothing more
May 21, 2016 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
ALBOURAX said:
ziggy_Z said:

Tell me an anime where time travel is better implemented and executed, I will give you a cookie.
May 21, 2016 9:13 AM

Jan 2015
It's the best anime to ever be created. Even better than Clannad and Naruto.
May 21, 2016 9:16 AM

Mar 2016
First 6 episodes of Steins; Gate are rather boring, I myself dropped it at episode 4. But now it's in my favourite list and with a score of 10.
May 21, 2016 9:20 AM

Nov 2011
Well, it got time travel,science and all that intelligent shit. You'd be dumb to not like it.

May 21, 2016 9:22 AM

Feb 2013
Mayuri is the only reason I can think about, she is the only reason I made it a 8/10.
Without the stuff that happens with her it would have been a 5/10.
May 21, 2016 9:53 AM

Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
strider98 said:
ALBOURAX said:

Tell me an anime where time travel is better implemented and executed, I will give you a cookie.

Great review

DEVlL said:
It's the best anime to ever be created. Even better than Clannad and Naruto.

Well that's what I call a very subjective comment..

KaiserNazrin said:
Well, it got time travel,science and all that intelligent shit. You'd be dumb to not like it.

lel

Ulquiorra said:
Mayuri is the only reason I can think about, she is the only reason I made it a 8/10.
Without the stuff that happens with her it would have been a 5/10.

tragedydesu said:
is only for Scfi fans
personnaly i think it was good nothing more

That's what I think.
LBMLKMay 21, 2016 10:05 AM
May 21, 2016 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
ALBOURAX said:
RedRoseFring said:
strider98 said:

Great review

What review? that means you don't know lmao. Time travel is itself a difficult thing to deal with in any medium and it is almost flawlessly executed here. Some factors are there though.
May 21, 2016 10:57 AM

Dec 2015
It was good, nothing close to the hyped masterpiece everyone sells it for though in my opinion. The cast wasn't all that awesome except for Okabe (top tier protagonist) and a few nice characters (Daru, Feyris and Amane) it kind of has the set up of a classic harem: smart female lead who insults the main casually + tsundere, autistic loli, neko girl, the athletic tomboy, the shota and the aloof glasses girl. OST is not that memorable at the exception of a few tracks. Visually nice but nothing spectacular for its time. I noticed the people who love it to death are mostly Kurisu (who annoyed me and filled the typical tsundere trope barring the violence) fanboys and Sci Fi fans which is totally fine.

Still very good because of the drama, the references, the interactions and the way it explores time travel. Gonna have to check out the VN someday.
May 21, 2016 11:01 AM

Oct 2013
strider98 said:

What review?

When you take things too seriously...

Geez... You ask people why an anime is that high-rated and there is a guy basically replying "Find something else that good"

You helped a lot, thanks. Both bother replying if it's to say this kind of things, you're not helping anyone.

strider98 said:

that means you don't know lmao

Never heard of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ?
LBMLKMay 21, 2016 11:05 AM
May 21, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
ALBOURAX said:
strider98 said:

What review?

Geez... You ask people why an anime is that high-rated and there is a guy basically replying "Find something else that good"

You helped a lot, thanks. Both bother replying if it's to say this kind of things, you're not helping anyone.

strider98 said:

What?did you ever read what I said? I said it does time travel which can create lots of plotholes almost flawlessly. Go thqough aracheon's review if this is too hard to understand.
Madoka did time travel better? Okay nothing to say more.
May 21, 2016 11:37 AM

Oct 2013
strider98 said:
ALBOURAX said:

What?did you ever read what I said? I said it does time travel which can create lots of plotholes almost flawlessly. Go thqough aracheon's review if this is too hard to understand.

😂😂😂😂😂 Just get lost kid, you're just waiting my time and yours, specially when you're trying to make me feel dumb 😂😂😂
May 21, 2016 11:50 AM

Oct 2013
mozgow said:

Well I completely forgot about that
May 21, 2016 11:58 AM

Jan 2014
ALBOURAX said:
strider98 said:

What review?

strider98 said:

You cannot expect to understand why it is so loved from only 3 episodes, so either you go all the way if you are really that curious, or drop it because you are not patient enough to watch the entire thing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 21, 2016 12:08 PM

Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:

You cannot expect to understand why it is so loved from only 3 episodes, so either you go all the way if you are really that curious, or drop it because you are not patient enough to watch the entire thing.

I finished the anime yesterday, and yes, it gets serious at the end of the episode 12, but I don't now, I probably expect more. Because 9.17 is way too high for what I watched.. A 8.4~8.5 would have been better I think. But it's just my opinion..

Also, I have nothing against the slow-paced animes but c'mon 12 episodes to get into the story.. in a 24 episode-long anime.. That's too much imo
May 21, 2016 12:09 PM

Jan 2014
ALBOURAX said:
RedRoseFring said:

I finished the anime yesterday, and yes, it gets serious at the end of the episode 12, but I don't now, I probably expect more. Because 9.17 is way too high for what I watched.. A 8.4~8.5 would have been better I think. But it's just my opinion..

Also, I have nothing against the slow-paced animes but c'mon 12 episodes to get into the story.. in a 24 episode-long anime.. That's too much imo

That's fine, it's your opinion. Others like myself were interested from episode 1 seeing Kurisu's murder, but I do agree that things go into overdrive after episode 12.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 21, 2016 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
It has a good story and character development is really apparent after you go through the plot development in the beginning. Honestly, at first I thought it was alright because nothing really happens at the start but as you progress those pieces of information built from the start begin to bloom mid-late episodes.
May 21, 2016 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
RedRoseFring said:
ALBOURAX said:

That's fine, it's your opinion. Others like myself were interested from episode 1 seeing Kurisu's murder, but I do agree that things go into overdrive after episode 12.

For a time-travel story to create without disputes, those ep are necessary. VN adapatation suck most of the time
May 21, 2016 12:24 PM

Aug 2015
ALBOURAX said:
strider98 said:

😂😂😂😂😂 Just get lost kid, you're just waiting my time and yours, specially when you're trying to make me feel dumb 😂😂😂
So Mature......
If Steins Gate can't please you, you must really have high standards! *checks list* > *Hyouka in favs* >.>

Listen up kid, if you really want to know why a show is rated high, at least try to think why the show is rated high.

Steins Gate is an anime which is pitch perfect in most people's eyes. It does just about everything right. The first half is part SoL and character development. This past helps you to deeply get in touch with the characters for the best impacts later.
And the time traveling and the struggles begins in the 2nd half. That's where the shows true charm hides in.

And the shows masterful ending. No other show I've seen till now can offer a finale this perfect. If you match up the events of episode 24, it perfectly matches with the events of episode 1 and leaves ABSOLUTELY NO PLOT HOLES.

It's the best anime there ever was. That's why it's rated so high. It should be in the #1 Spot IMO
May 21, 2016 12:26 PM
Dec 2015
strider98 said:
ALBOURAX said:

I'll cut in. While I liked S;G, the show is based on using a microwave for time travel. They didn't design it for its purpose, it was just there. At least Madoka hints through the whole show that a magical girl is a time traveler and her powers are based on MAGIC, which the genre allows. The microwave thing is complete shit, so don't hype it up.

If anything. Steins;Gate did time travel in a far inferior way compared to Ever17. A microwave vs a
, but I admit E17 isn't an anime.
May 21, 2016 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
@2DHeart obv, has anyone recognized the means for time-travel irl? No, so the show will create conviniences. Madoka is praised for its theme, while s;g is praised for its worldline explanation in the matter of time-travel. Also the show provided explaination for the microwave.
Ever watched the movie "back to the future"? then you will know what I am talking abt.
removed-userMay 21, 2016 12:41 PM
May 21, 2016 12:38 PM

Aug 2015
@2DHeart, dude, did you even pay attention when watching the anime? It was perfectly explained how the microwave turned into a time machine which can send mails to the past. SERN , The TV , the mini black hole and how everything else were connected to the phone microwave ( name is subject to be changed ) was explained properly. If you couldn't pick it up, you just didn't pay attention.

And you're forgetting an important truth : That all the greatest inventions of science were made by accidents!

The author said it himself. That Steins;Gate is 99% science and 1% fiction
May 21, 2016 12:51 PM

Oct 2013
Z-Dante said:
If Steins Gate can't please you, you must really have high standards! *checks list* > *Hyouka in favs* >.>

Looks like a Steins;Gate fanboy's mad
Sorry, son, I'm not gonna put an anime in my favourites because everyone else does :)

Z-Dante said:
So Mature....

Says by the guy who check your profile to see if there is anything he could bash because I don't like his fav anime as much as him 😂😂😂 I'm so done.
May 21, 2016 12:54 PM

Dec 2014
it's mature, mysterious Sci Fi ... a little little futuristic .. Time travel and paradoxes.. Why wouldn't anyone like it
May 21, 2016 1:00 PM

Oct 2013
ibraheem234 said:
it's mature, mysterious Sci Fi ... a little little futuristic .. Time travel and paradoxes.. Why wouldn't anyone like it

Well, by what you said, I don't really like sci-fi and futuristic stuff so.. But again that doesn't mean it's a bad anime. It's was good, but nothing more imo
May 21, 2016 1:04 PM

Aug 2015
ALBOURAX said:
Z-Dante said:

Looks like a Steins;Gate fanboy's mad
Sorry, son, I'm not gonna put an anime in my favourites because everyone else does :)

Z-Dante said:
So Mature....

Says by the guy who check your profile to see if there is anything he could bash because I don't like his fav anime as much as him 😂😂😂 I'm so done.
Pffft ,
May 21, 2016 1:10 PM

Oct 2013
Z-Dante said:

If you think it's not good, why not try arguing for once?

1. Did I say it was a bad anime ? Read my previous posts again.
2. I'm not gonna argue with a fanboy, you clearly can't be objective.

Z-Dante said:
So it's only natural that ignorant or dumb people won't understand most of Steins Gate and complain about it not being it.

So mature... Wait.

Z-Dante said:

Well, I don't expect someone with your kind of taste to understand the depth of my favourite shows either.

Digimon Savers 10/10 deep
May 21, 2016 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
If people could only argue logically..... not just quoting irrelevant parts.
May 21, 2016 1:19 PM

Aug 2015
@ALBOURAX , Let's try a different approach then. Why do you think it shouldn't be this high rated? What's the flaw in this anime?

And do understand what butterfly effect and time paradoxes are?

Well, if you don't, just leave it, time traveling is not for everytone.

ALBOURAX said:
So Mature....
Even though you are 4 years older than me, you're the one acting like a kid and acting unreasonable. It's hard to take your post seriously
May 21, 2016 1:38 PM

Oct 2013
strider98 said:

It would be nice indeed..

Z-Dante said:
@ALBOURAX , Let's try a different approach then. Why do you think it shouldn't be this high rated? What's the flaw in this anime?

And do understand what butterfly effect and time paradoxes are?

Well, if you don't, just leave it, time traveling is not for everytone.

I already answered to all those questions before.
No, I don't, I'm obviously a retard Of course I know...
Replace "time travelling" by "this anime" and I agree.

Z-Dante said:
Even though you are 4 years older than me, you're the one acting like a kid and acting unreasonable. It's hard to take your post seriously

Just putting myself to your level..
As you can see, I can discuss with people who talk nicely, without being arrogant or insulting like pretending you're dumb
If I can't talk to you normally, check how you first talked to me, then come back.
May 21, 2016 1:44 PM

Aug 2015
Calm your head down first OP. I'll give you a throughout explanation in your profile later ^_^

*flies away*
May 21, 2016 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
@ALBOURAX I see no arguments of yours with other people except one that "it is slow" and "I don't like futuristic stuff". At least create valid arguments lol.
May 21, 2016 1:53 PM

Jan 2015
strider98 said:

Challenge accepted.

strider98 said:
ALBOURAX said:

Let's start with S;G's flaws. It's time travel is based off of a microwave that moves in reverse, nothing from a scientific standpoint remotely justifies this significance.
Then moving forward everytime the show tries to explain how it's time travel works it's most done in 1-2 sentences and having a whiteboard in the background with crazy physics symbols.
Now onto the time travel itself, he goes back in time via memories?
Like wtf, knowledge/memories aren't physical so they can't be transferred by any means, and the show has the balls to then have 2 other forms of time travel, the standard back and forth and the only that can only travel to the past.
-Cleary it wasn't thought through.

Anime where time travel was thought through? Boku Dake. How you may ask? Idk don't ask me cuz it was never explained and it never had to because it made time travel a magical power rather than a scientific power rendering all arguments mute.

Now where the fuck is my cookie. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 21, 2016 1:58 PM

Jan 2014
ALBOURAX said:
Hi,
So as you can see, I'm wondering why this anime is so high rated. I've watched 3 episodes so far and I can't find anything interesting. The only thing which makes me continue to watch this anime is that it's really high-rated on MAL, but.. If it wasn't I probably would have dropped it..

Plz halp

You say it's not interesting huh

Looks on your profile and sees Hyouka in favorites

May 21, 2016 2:16 PM

Oct 2013
Z-Dante said:
Calm your head down first OP

Like I said..

strider98 said:
@ALBOURAX I see no arguments of yours with other people except one that "it is slow" and "I don't like futuristic stuff". At least create valid arguments lol.

Fock, that was on Fb...
Well, the shows drags.. a lot, even during the second part when it becomes interesting, I felt like I was watching one of those dbz fights again.
Mayuri being empty af
Rintarou being... not empty, but not enough charismatic for a main character imo
The romance is.. meh really.
I mean come on..

DoctorWasabi said:

You say it's not interesting huh

Looks on your profile and sees Hyouka in favorites

*sigh*
Geez, just read the previous posts, I'm not gonna waste my time on you.

Kill la kill, seriously
LBMLKSep 17, 2016 4:25 AM
May 21, 2016 10:19 PM

Jul 2014
I like how everyone said the first 12 episodes are slow.

@OP
  • First is noticeably foreshadow.

If you've read synopsis, normally you should've wonder what? where the mysterious fucked up thingy? it's all SOL, but with little thinking and concentrate you'll notice the foreshadow of event. Kurisu first meeting with Okabe, the lost of ibm after Moeka D-mail, her reaction of certain word -etc-. with all that it's fun in thinking of what could have happen because of all that. what kind of event will trigger because of that. Steins,Gate is fun in thinking of the possibility of what would happened if certain action is perform before or after this certain action.

It's clever because even if you don't know the premise and start the series, you will see it as SOL, and SOL anime normally has this pace, so i don't see the point of 'pace problem'
after all the crazy SOL, The show suddenly struck with lighting and take a 180° turn. It didnt spoonfeed you immediately of what's happening but giving you the hint and time to think back and making theories of what's happening. -The message from Cern, time travel related incident, timeline fate, bring us back to think about the missing person, item and such-

Every episode (except the dating Ruka episodes(17-18 iirc)) are hint and foreshadow of the event and solution.

• The event.

After the clues and such are all given it's time for the problem to start. This was not just hinted but showed in anime so i dont have anything to add.

• Solution

Unless you didn't get the ending, i think i don't need to add anything here.

-
And here we go to characters.
  • Exploring characterization

btw this is where i think Steins Gate isnt a perfect adaption. (on contrary to everyone else)

Mayuri, appears as a airhead character, but infact she's sharp and think alot. She always want to cheer everyone up.
Also remember that she's also the person who speaked and persuaded(kinda) kurisu to stay when she was being tsuntsun about leaving.
her character became like that because of Okabe chuuni(but Okabe chuuni also because of her)

Anime done a good job on Okabe and kurisu, so i dont think i need to add on that.

Faris: she's the reason i hate this anime sometime, Anime just didnt do justice for her. but since the anime decided to skip her anyway and we're talking about the anime right here, i dont think i need to explain her character (since it probably won't add to anime anyway), but i'll just say, she's suppose to be a happy but solitude inside, she's sharp and witty.

I mentioned about the unless dating sim episodes above right?
actually it wasn't useless per se, it's for exploring Okabe and Raku's mind of the choice that he abandons Mayuri. but since the anime decided to focus on Okabe and Kurisu anyway, there's no point for me to say more than that.

There's Daru, Suzuha, Meoka and other too but i'm too lazy to write all of them, thought if you pick up the hint, their expression/reaction to certain thing and such you should have guessed their character and so too.

------------------

TL,DR

>why it rated so high?
Obviously because alot of people love it. but why?
worldbuilding, intricate timeline(there are like 10 that was shown in anime and many scenarios happens within those), characterization, development, and happy ending.
Keep this in mind
before the last episode aired, The rating was only around 8+ and it boosted to 9+ after it finished. which can mean that everybody love the ending. despite the many possibility idea of true ending is very slim or no one expected it, Anime perfectly make the viewers attached to character(subjective here) then give us the choice of choosing one and kill the other, it was fun and sad to think of how to save them and can't, but then at final the author give us a really happy solution. which is another huge plus point on top of all other plus points.
GensanMay 21, 2016 10:24 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.