Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think Smoking makes a character cooler?

New
Do you think Smoking makes a character cooler?
May 18, 2016 1:27 AM

Sep 2015
Imo , I think a good amount of characters who smoke give a better sight for me but still It depends on the character himself I guess..

Nanami0007May 18, 2016 2:24 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 18, 2016 1:29 AM

Jun 2015
No. It is just some added info for me to remember a character. But other than that, nothing.
May 18, 2016 1:33 AM

Oct 2014
I think it's more about how it's implemented I guess? For example, in Subete Ga F Naru, Saikawa kept smoking non stop, I bet there wasn't a single episode where he didn't hold a cigarette. In one way, it gave him a personality where he himself mentioned he smokes because he doesn't care for his life.

Then again, in the highly acclaimed Rakugo we saw the artists smoke long pipes as in the Showa era which was a neat touch.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 18, 2016 1:41 AM

Oct 2010
Yes, in the looks at least. It's a stylish complement that has been known and used in visual narration for a long time, not exclusive to anime at all.

Relevant:
May 18, 2016 1:43 AM

Sep 2015
No, unless they smoke like Sakamoto does.
May 18, 2016 1:46 AM

Jan 2016
Normally doesn't matter, but it is a nice touch to a character design sometimes.
And can carry messages, for example, Kiritsugu from Fate/Zero smoking, because he picked it up from Natalia.
May 18, 2016 1:52 AM

Mar 2016
Well not always. It does make them stand out sometimes as in this is the character that smokes. Recent character that I saw smoking is that Black Lizard commander in Bungou Stray Dogs.
Shishou_23May 18, 2016 7:44 AM
May 18, 2016 1:59 AM

Jul 2013
While the smoking factor can add badassery to characters, hoe badass a character is depends of how the character is. Smoking can make him/her look cool, but only in appearence.
May 18, 2016 2:01 AM

Sep 2015
No. It's just an added touch to their personality. I've long grew out of the "smoking is cool!!11" phase - well, not that I ever bought into it in the first place.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 18, 2016 2:03 AM

Jun 2008
Remember kids....smoking is cool, your favorite anime characters do it and so should YOU!

This message is brought to you by Philip Morris...we care about the future.
May 18, 2016 2:27 AM

May 2016
I think it depends on the character. For example you can't give a cigarette to an adorable kid in the series, it won't fit!
May 18, 2016 2:30 AM
Jan 2016
It depends on the character, some characters look cool while smoking while others would not.
May 18, 2016 2:34 AM

Dec 2015
If it wasn't Spike or Hijikata it won't matter. Because it's a part of their character and uk charisma.
May 18, 2016 2:58 AM
Jun 2015
Well, is this guy cool to you?

May 18, 2016 3:41 AM

Feb 2013
smoking? you mean eating lolipops right

May 18, 2016 3:42 AM

Oct 2011
Watching them smoke from a certain angle does make them look cool, but that doesn't necessarily make them overall cool.
May 18, 2016 3:44 AM

Jun 2008
romagia said:
smoking? you mean eating lolipops right

HAHAHAHAHA!

That is so damn great!!
May 18, 2016 3:47 AM

Apr 2016
Hey, mister. I am mad scientist smoker. It's so cool. Sonuvabitch!
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 18, 2016 3:54 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
It's pretty stupid if you ask me and it just glorifies smoking which is a bad thing to do and the more ''cool'' characters smoke the more kids that see those characters want to shove a cigarette into their mouth to feel the same.

It's one of the dumbest traits.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

May 18, 2016 3:57 AM

Dec 2015
Everyone knows taking a long drag on a smoke is the coolest way to punctuate an uncomfortable silence.
Pyrrhussieg said:
It's pretty stupid if you ask me and it just glorifies smoking which is a bad thing to do and the more ''cool'' characters smoke the more kids that see those characters want to shove a cigarette into their mouth to feel the same.

Come on get real, no kid has ever seen someone smoking on TV and said "I think I'll go smoke now" that's a tired old argument parents made in the 90's which has been shown to hold no water time and time again.
Bobby2HandsMay 18, 2016 4:01 AM
May 18, 2016 4:26 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Bobby2Hands said:
Everyone knows taking a long drag on a smoke is the coolest way to punctuate an uncomfortable silence.
Pyrrhussieg said:

Come on get real, no kid has ever seen someone smoking on TV and said "I think I'll go smoke now" that's a tired old argument parents made in the 90's which has been shown to hold no water time and time again.

If you think what media glorifies has no influence on people and society then you have been living under a rock.

But I guess it's so edgy that we'll have to excuse it one way or another.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

May 18, 2016 4:29 AM

Dec 2015
Pyrrhussieg said:
Bobby2Hands said:

If you think what media glorifies has no influence on people and society then you have been living under a rock.

80 years of comic book superheroes and you hardly ever see kids putting on costumes and fighting crime. Maybe all the fighting should be edited out of Naruto and DBZ so kids don't see people fighting an copy it?...no that's ridiculous? and so is the smoking argument.
May 18, 2016 6:15 AM

Nov 2015
Meh.
Maybe a little bit if the character happens to be a female..
May 18, 2016 6:20 AM

Jun 2015
yeah of course, lung cancer is kewl!
May 18, 2016 6:22 AM

Jul 2014
GriedSatzvin said:
No, unless they smoke like Sakamoto does.

Sakamoto doesn't just smoke it, he BLAZES it.
May 18, 2016 6:24 AM

Oct 2014

In the case of Reki from Haibane Renmei is part of her background. Since you smoke to relax, smoking shows that you are in tension, for whatever reason it may be. She's has a problem in her series, and eventually she stops smoking when she gets peace of mind.

My guess is that the same thign can be applied to Stein from Soul Eater.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 18, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2010
No. especially when they shouldn't be cool to begin with (Fruits Basket, for example)

May 18, 2016 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
It makes female character a bitch, because only bitch smoke.

May 18, 2016 7:35 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Bobby2Hands said:
Pyrrhussieg said:

80 years of comic book superheroes and you hardly ever see kids putting on costumes and fighting crime. Maybe all the fighting should be edited out of Naruto and DBZ so kids don't see people fighting an copy it?...no that's ridiculous? and so is the smoking argument.

Then explain why Korea is a country that is strictly against smoking without it being illegal. They do the opposite of glorifying it, often they will state in their media that's it's a disgusting thing to do.

But if you want to use ridiculous examples, go ahead, be my guest. And btw DBZ is used to be copied by kids all the time, me included, and it was violent.

May 18, 2016 7:37 AM

Oct 2014
Pyrrhussieg said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Then explain why Korea is a country that is strictly against smoking without it being illegal. They do the opposite of glorifying it, often they will state in their media that's it's a disgusting thing to do.

But if you want to use ridiculous examples, go ahead, be my guest. And btw DBZ is used to be copied by kids all the time, me included, and it was violent.

True that. We were emulating battles and throwing fictitious kamehamehas all the time when DBZ was airing over here.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 18, 2016 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
It makes them look badass. Also it makes them look like they have been through a lot.
May 18, 2016 7:40 AM

Dec 2015
Pyrrhussieg said:
Bobby2Hands said:

When the hell is smoking ever "glorified" in children's media?

The world doesn't need this busy-body-won't-somebody-please-think-of-the-children mentality. This is the same crap that got Spielberg to replace the guns in ET with walkie talkies.

And Rock Lee in Naruto gets drunk all the time, did you kids go out and start chugging sake after watching that?
May 18, 2016 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
JewellTH said:
Well, is this guy cool to you?

Yeah he is definitely cool. Cooler than sakamoto.
May 18, 2016 7:48 AM

Dec 2015
Yes, it enhances the pure "no fucks given badass" vibe. That goes for the lung cancer as well but that's another story, who cares they're chinese cartoons anyway.

I mean c'mon there's nothing more GAR than seeing someone take a smoke after a huge fight or right before kicking someone's ass
May 18, 2016 7:53 AM

Sep 2015
It does in my personal preference at least. Though, the smoking characters that I truly like concurrently with this cool looking vibe in their appearance from this smoking factor has been given by usually have interesting personality as well.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
May 18, 2016 7:55 AM

Aug 2015
Onii-sama doesn't smoke. So point dismissed!
May 18, 2016 8:04 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Bobby2Hands said:
Pyrrhussieg said:

The world doesn't need this busy-body-won't-somebody-please-think-of-the-children mentality. This is the same crap that got Spielberg to replace the guns in ET with walkie talkies.

And Rock Lee in Naruto gets drunk all the time, did you kids go out and start chugging sake after watching that?

I see you're avoiding my question, then there's no point in having a discussion.

Glorifying means giving one of the most popular and coolest and usually most badass character a cigarette. Children work like that, they see something frequently and unconsciously follow that example.

This doesn't just go for children, like I said, you must be living under a rock to ignore all the issues society has because of media represantation and standards it creates.

And don't tell me children don't watch shows like Gintama and One Piece.
MeleMay 18, 2016 8:09 AM

May 18, 2016 9:15 AM

Jan 2014
Not really, although it complements some characters' looks.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 18, 2016 9:22 AM

Apr 2013
It doesn't make them cool. That thinking is so 20+ years ago, really.
May 18, 2016 9:33 AM

Aug 2012
It has to be in a right character for it to look cool though. For instance, detectives that smokes, i think it complements their character.
May 18, 2016 9:48 AM

Dec 2015
Pyrrhussieg said:
Bobby2Hands said:

I see you're avoiding my question, then there's no point in having a discussion.

Glorifying means giving one of the most popular and coolest and usually most badass character a cigarette. Children work like that, they see something frequently and unconsciously follow that example.

This doesn't just go for children, like I said, you must be living under a rock to ignore all the issues society has because of media represantation and standards it creates.

1. Avoiding your question? you didn't ask a question. Seriously go back and read what you just wrote. There isn't a single question mark in there, let alone even an implied question.

2. Again, Rock Lee gets drunk all the time, he is a badass cool character who kids are meant to like. Isn't he setting a bad example? aren't kids going to copy it?

3. I really don't get why violence and alcohol are ok with you but smoking is where you draw the line.
May 18, 2016 12:03 PM
Oct 2014
For me it's actually a drawback. I'll admit I'm a victim of the anti-smoking propaganda machine. Whenever I see a character smoking, the first thing that comes to mind is, "you stink and you're going to get lung cancer." I also mentally associate smoking with an insecure attitude (they smoke because they're trying to look cool) and a lack of willpower. In other words, a badass character seems less badass when they smoke.

I'm not saying I'm right to think this, especially in a fictional medium where you don't have to worry about things like smell and cancer. But that's what comes to mind when I see characters smoking. With conscious effort I can push these to the back of my mind and see it as neutral, but I never have a positive reaction to it, unless the smoking is used as an element of a caricature of a certain stereotype.
May 18, 2016 12:09 PM

Aug 2014
Sometimes it makes them cool and other times it makes them look pretentious.
May 18, 2016 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
Of course smoking makes you look cooler, unless it's Pall Mall, Newport, Pyramid, or Camel. Those are poor people cigarettes.
May 18, 2016 12:38 PM

May 2016
I'm trying to think of a case in anime where the character that was smoking is like... Not the 'cool' character.

Not good, or evil mind you, but just not cool.

I'm wondering if animators/producers have a bias towards having characters that smoke be level headed.

Thoughts?
"Pretty easy work, for a god." ~ Freya - Valkyrie Profile

May 18, 2016 12:49 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Bobby2Hands said:
Pyrrhussieg said:

1. Avoiding your question? you didn't ask a question. Seriously go back and read what you just wrote. There isn't a single question mark in there, let alone even an implied question.

2. Again, Rock Lee gets drunk all the time, he is a badass cool character who kids are meant to like. Isn't he setting a bad example? aren't kids going to copy it?

3. I really don't get why violence and alcohol are ok with you but smoking is where you draw the line.

If I remember correctly Rock Lee getting drunk has serious consequences and it's not necessarily represented as a good thing, if that's the case of course I'd have a problem with it, I never stated otheriwse.

Since the topic is about characters that smoke I intended to talk about characters that smoke, that was the point.

May 18, 2016 1:10 PM

Dec 2012
As others have said, it can paint a picture about the traits of a character or simply used for visual effect. Some characters simply look cool when they're smoking. But it's obviously not something that ever translates well into real life, similar to driving dangerously as a comedy gag.
May 18, 2016 1:12 PM

Dec 2015
Glaucus01 said:
I'm trying to think of a case in anime where the character that was smoking is like... Not the 'cool' character.

Not good, or evil mind you, but just not cool.

I'm wondering if animators/producers have a bias towards having characters that smoke be level headed.

Thoughts?

Tatsuhiro Satou from Welcome to the NHK is a smoker and is never portrayed as a "cool" person.
May 18, 2016 1:16 PM

Sep 2015
Smoking is so overrated. I prefer Pocky.
May 18, 2016 4:08 PM

Dec 2008
No and I truly don't understand what people find so alluring about smoking. What makes someone suddenly want to start smoking? They just cost you money and greatly increases your health risk.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

32 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

215 by ISeeLifePeople »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.