Forum Settings
Forums

Do you hide the fact that you watch Anime to your friends?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 13, 2016 8:27 PM

May 2016
I don't particularly hide my interest in anime (i.e. I'm an otaku) since mostly everyone knows that I watch anime.

I also talk about anime with my friends. I don't really care about their opinions of me watching anime.
I miss my GIFs of old ass memes.
May 13, 2016 8:38 PM

Nov 2015
I dont hide it. If they ask me I will say yes and not be stubborn about admitting it. At the same time I wont be advertising that I watch anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2016 9:19 PM

Jan 2016
I did tell a few of my friends some were like yea cool me too and others were so stupid that they had to say anime is for kids but the problem is that they never tried to even watch one and I think it's the nature of the human beings to hate whatever that they don't understand so in the future I won't bring up this matter to friends that I didn't tell that I love anime before because I am afraid of them being too judgmental about it so I'll just tell the very close to me
3baad2May 13, 2016 9:23 PM
May 13, 2016 9:29 PM

Aug 2015
Most of my friends know i watch anime, but i don't tell any of them how much i have seen.
May 13, 2016 9:41 PM

Feb 2015
Well, they just don't ask if I watch anime so I don't reply to them, if they ask what did I do in weekends, I'll just simply reply, "played game. And watched things."
May 13, 2016 9:56 PM

Jul 2015
Well my friends know that I watch it, but it's like I went out of my way to tell them that I did lol. Turns out some of them do, but aren't as into it as I am. Sooo I don't hide it, but I don't make it known that I watch it either. If they ask me then ya I'll discuss it with them.

caught in the wonder
May 13, 2016 9:57 PM
Jul 2015
Pretty casual about my hardcore love for anime. I don't go out of my way to mention it but if the topic arise, then yeah. Most people won't judge you unless you don't look like the average joe ie being well groomed and a healthy weight. I definitely do not weeb out though. Seen enough of those weeb cringe videos.
May 13, 2016 10:16 PM

Nov 2015
I don't see the point in hiding.
No one has said anything bad about it irl either.

In fact a lot of my friends watch anime..
May 13, 2016 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
I hide nothing because I see no reason to; though, most of my friends don't watch/care about anime, so it's not something that comes up often, other than when people see me posting one of my podcasts where I talk about anime and whatnot every week.
May 13, 2016 10:30 PM

Oct 2014
I don't have friends...................
May 13, 2016 10:37 PM

Sep 2015
My best friend knew. The rest don't even know anime is a thing. Besides I don't like discussing anime IRL so I wouldn't mention it any way
May 13, 2016 10:45 PM

Nov 2012
why should i hide it? if someone asks what my hobbies are of course i'd mention anime too.
May 13, 2016 11:18 PM

Feb 2013
It's not like it's a secret or anything. If someone brings up anime, I'll say I watch it. I don't just start talking about it out of the blue though, it has to come up naturally.
May 13, 2016 11:36 PM

Jan 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Have you ever told them that you watch anime?
Or do you just not care about what they might think about you even after having told them it?
Do all of your friends like Anime? Or just some of them?
Do you prefer having friends who watch Anime or not?
Why do you hide it? Do you find it embarassing?

1. Yes
2. Some of them
3. I prefer they watch it too
4. No, because I didn't watch embarassing anime.
May 13, 2016 11:54 PM

Nov 2014
Have you ever told them that you watch anime?
Not really, but if they ask i will tell them anyway..

Or do you just not care about what they might think about you even after having told them it?
Yeah, i don't really care about it..

Do all of your friends like Anime? Or just some of them?
I do have several friends that happen to like anime but i rarely watch anime with them, just a regular talk and such..

Do you prefer having friends who watch Anime or not?
Not really, if they like anime then it's good that we can talk about it, but i don't mind with the ones who aren't an anime fan either..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

May 14, 2016 12:10 AM

Feb 2016
In fact, I got introduced into anime through some of my friends, so yeah I don't.
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
May 14, 2016 12:18 AM

Jan 2015
GesuYarou said:
I don't see the point in hiding.
No one has said anything bad about it irl either.

Some could think that

3baad2 said:
anime is for kids

That's why I'm asking. Usually, when someone doesn't watch but think it's for kids, is because the only anime they know are DBZ, Pokémon and Digimon.
May 14, 2016 12:25 AM

Apr 2015
Yes. You just have to in order to have a social life really over here. My closest friends mostly do know though, and some of them have started watching through me
May 14, 2016 3:57 AM

Jan 2015
Man_Lanz said:
Yes. You just have to in order to have a social life really over here.

So if you don't tell them that you watch anime, you don't a social life?

Wut
May 14, 2016 3:59 AM

Feb 2015
My friends know that I watch anime. They also watch anime and we often talk about anime.
May 14, 2016 4:04 AM

Apr 2015
Xenocrisi said:
Man_Lanz said:
Yes. You just have to in order to have a social life really over here.

Wut

I responded to your thread title, didn't read the OP
May 14, 2016 4:04 AM

Jun 2011
It is easy to not hide you are a otaku weeby nerd when all your friends are exactly the same way. I attend anime club bi-weekly and go to con every year and my weeby friend list grows and grows.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 14, 2016 4:05 AM

Jul 2015
50% of my friends watch anime too so why would i hide it ^^
May 14, 2016 4:06 AM

Jun 2011
Marcochen123 said:
50% of my friends watch anime too so why would i hide it ^^
Yeah same. I actually think it is close to 100% now... and if they are not into anime, they play the Yugioh card game or play video games or read comics so like, why would they care?
May 14, 2016 4:07 AM

Dec 2015
I'd love to get IRL friend who watches anime but I guess im too unlucky.. Anyway why would i need to hide the fact I watch anime? My opinion is just that there is no need to hide it.

Ps. Anyone here wanna be my friend? I can talk english/finnish plus Im from finland and dont care where your from so dont worry.
May 14, 2016 4:09 AM

Jun 2011
Mamster-P said:
im really glad to see the 2nd and last options are the most voted

but yea, im never the one who brings it up unless there's an opportunity, im not just going to mention anime for no reason lol

I am autistic so I totally bring it up for no reason. I have also gotten at least 5 people into anime. Soo I am good for the community growth. XD
May 14, 2016 4:12 AM

Jun 2011
MrRavagen said:
I'd love to get IRL friend who watches anime but I guess im too unlucky.. Anyway why would i need to hide the fact I watch anime? My opinion is just that there is no need to hide it.

Ps. Anyone here wanna be my friend? I can talk english/finnish plus Im from finland and dont care where your from so dont worry.

Advice: Do you have a college nearby? They normally have an anime club. Do you know this site called "Meet ups" there are frequently anime meetups in many areas.

If there isn't an anime club at your school or in your area, try creating one! Totally fun. Crunchyroll is easy to get rights from if you need to obtain rights.

If you already have some friends, try showing them an anime movie like Akira. That normally peaks interest.
May 14, 2016 4:14 AM

Jan 2015
Man_Lanz said:
Xenocrisi said:

Wut

I responded to your thread title, didn't read the OP

Oh you meant that. Oh ok, I can understand you.

Sad life tho.
May 14, 2016 4:18 AM

Dec 2015
No, Im not in college and even If I would be in 1, there should not be any clubs as I have heard.
I don't do meetups because im too shy to be in 1.
Aaand i allready said I have no friend who like anime IRL.

I just want to talk online with somebody (facebook, Line or kik).
My age is 18 and yes Im probably an Idiot whos still shy..
May 14, 2016 4:27 AM

Nov 2015
I'm not that open about it since i don't like making friend with weeboos who watch shitty anime and think that they are good.
May 14, 2016 6:50 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Mamster-P said:
im really glad to see the 2nd and last options are the most voted

but yea, im never the one who brings it up unless there's an opportunity, im not just going to mention anime for no reason lol

I am autistic so I totally bring it up for no reason. I have also gotten at least 5 people into anime. Soo I am good for the community growth. XD

and bad for it... lol

sometimes getting non anime fans into anime brings in more *complain, complain, complain*
May 14, 2016 7:01 AM

Jun 2011
Mamster-P said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

and bad for it... lol

sometimes getting non anime fans into anime brings in more *complain, complain, complain*

Yeah I know what you mean... normal people who haven't been around long enough...

I compalin a lot but I think I earned it a bit more by watching so many anime. I think I have more right to be "tired of tropes" when I have seen so many anime. And really I just wish they would make good shonen ai/yaoi adaptations. And good manga exists for those genres... they just want to play to lowest common denominator. But not going to lie, it is still fun to watch. Just wish for more variance in the genre. I also prefer older ecchi to newer. But I think this is an advantage. Mostly because I can rec something most haven't seen or heard from in a long time. But yeah... can suck when people don't want to watch something from pre blu-ray era (pre 2005).

Do love anime though. I feel like I am loosening up again. Love Live made me happy in recent times. Felt it was a genuine improvement on typical band anime and better than most moe (a genre I think I am not normally fond of).

Really hate it when new to anime people complain about tropes but then reject suggestions... you really have to be open to watching some random stuff to get where you want in anime. I am at this point now where usually I can tell if I will like an anime almost right away or at least have a good chance of it. Studio, how they advertise the anime, the summary... all helpful things. But yeah I watch random stuff a lot completely blind in the hopes of just finding something I didn't even expect to love.
May 14, 2016 7:38 AM

Feb 2014
..Friends? They actually exist? wtf
May 14, 2016 7:51 AM

Jul 2013
They know I watch anime... and nothing absolutely happens between us. One of my friends even watches anime (he is a casual, but he likes it anyway).
May 14, 2016 7:54 AM

Dec 2012
I don't hide it but I don't go around saying I do. Everyone who knows me know that I watch a shit ton amount of anime. It's not really something to be hated at my country.
May 14, 2016 8:00 AM

Jan 2016
1) Have I ever told my friends that I watch Anime?

I don't go around to my friends saying "I watch anime". I wait for them to ask if I watch a particular show or not.

2) Do I care about what people think of me?

Yeah, I have a reputation to take care of irl.

3) Do all of my friends watch anime?

Nope. There are some of my close friends that just hate anime but we're still getting along with each other and we all have our own weird hobbies and secrets.
(watching anime isn't weird though :P)

4) Do I prefer having friends who watch anime or friends who don't watch anime?

Having a friend who watch lots of shows like you do is really fun. You can certainly have very nice conversations but it all depends on the personality in the end. I have lots of friends who just don't like to watch anime that I like to hang around with and there are lots of people that I met irl who likes to watch anime that are actually scumbags.

5) Why do I hide the fact?

Same answer as 2).
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

May 14, 2016 8:26 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Jonouchi-Katsuya

Wouldnt it be great if most anime fans had this approach towards anime....

It's not anime that needs to change, it's the viewers... tropes are ancient and not going anywhere, and much of the stuff u see in anime isn't even unique to anime . And anime has not significantly changed at all

I can't say anything about the yaoi and shounen ai genre other than ur just gonna need more ppl who are into that stuff creating anime. the only issue is that is us straight guys are much less likely to watch something like that than a straight girl is to watch something meant for us. And most anime is made by straight men with straight men in mind
May 14, 2016 9:15 AM

Sep 2013
They're not exactly your friends if you're hiding stuff from them, OP.
May 14, 2016 10:34 AM
Dec 2014
They already know that I am an anti-social looser.

No point in hiding my hobbies
May 14, 2016 10:47 AM
Nov 2015
Anime aren't a subject we talk. But when its time comes I become Dr.Know.
May 14, 2016 10:53 AM

May 2015
No one asks but if they did i won't hide it and I don't go around shouting I watch anime however if they talk about a show then I'm all ears . Besides they're my friends its either they sit quietly and be selected out of this world, or adapt and change!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2016 11:08 AM

Nov 2014
Nope, never felt a need to hide, my friends know that I watch, my family knows that I watch, people that I meet know that I watch. I don't see a reason to hide what your interests are, especially from your friends or from your relatives, heck even when meeting strangers. Tho, while I don't hide my interests, I won't nag anyone into watching anime, nor am I obsessed with anime.
May 14, 2016 11:13 AM

Oct 2013
I told em and I'm proud of it.
Even tho they're like "Japanese=Chinese=ching chong ching"
May 14, 2016 11:14 AM

Feb 2016
If someone asks me what I like to do in my free time, I'll usually include watching anime, although I'm not as likely to mention it to people a good deal older than I am. But I don't really bring it up otherwise unless someone else specifically mentions anime: I don't know anyone in real life who is interested in it, so there's not really much of an opportunity to start any in-depth discussions about it.
May 14, 2016 11:15 AM

Jan 2016
I kinda give them hints that I watch them, like tell them indirectly or smth like that, but since my friends don't watch it.. by that I mean IRL friends, I don't really care if someone knows or not if I watch anime IRL, they will find out eventually themselves due to my behaviour... My virtual friends, most of them like anime, IRL friends? none. (I barely have any, lol).... I'd like an IRL friend who's passionate about anime, cuz that would be atleast one topic to discuss about since I'm bad at creating discussions... As I mentioned earlier, I don't really hde it, it's more like... People will either find that out due to my behaviour, due to my visited websites OR they will just ask me directly, but I've never been asked about anime directly IRL
May 14, 2016 11:35 AM

Jun 2012
I'm open, but no one seems to have a general interest for it. Or if they do, they only watch mainstream anime and watch the most popular show of the year, and that's it.
May 14, 2016 11:44 AM

Apr 2014
all my friends watch animes.

one is a casual watcher who only watchers certain stuff, the others prefers ecchi/yuri/whatever hentai stuff most of the time, another prefers mystery, another only watches naruto and one piece -_-.

we all watch it, however we have different preferences, sometimes we ask eachother to recommend something to us out of theri own genres that they watch.
May 14, 2016 11:45 AM
Aug 2015
I laugh at their hobbies, so why shouldn't they be able to laugh at mine?
May 14, 2016 11:52 AM

Jan 2015
Even though I enjoy anime and manga a ton, I don't normally express my interests to others unless it comes up in a conversation. I don't find my love for anime to be embarrassing, it's a part of who I am. & If someone were to reject me, maybe I'd be hurt but in the end it wouldn't really matter. I have a few friends who I try to convince them to watch my favorite animes but not all of them enjoy the same things I do, so I understand.
May 14, 2016 3:03 PM

Jun 2011
Mamster-P said:
@Jonouchi-Katsuya

Wouldnt it be great if most anime fans had this approach towards anime....

It's not anime that needs to change, it's the viewers... tropes are ancient and not going anywhere, and much of the stuff u see in anime isn't even unique to anime . And anime has not significantly changed at all

I can't say anything about the yaoi and shounen ai genre other than ur just gonna need more ppl who are into that stuff creating anime. the only issue is that is us straight guys are much less likely to watch something like that than a straight girl is to watch something meant for us. And most anime is made by straight men with straight men in mind

Every piece of media has tropes. The issue becomes when characters become walking tropes. You know what I am saying?

And you are right on yaoi/shonen ai. I am much more likely to watch a moe than a straight guy is to watch a yaoi/shonen ai or even slash like Free!.

Viewers need to be more flexible to watch things that are older than 2005 if they want something with less frequented tropes. It was so fun to watch the Tsundere trope develop from the start... Romiko Takahashi is queen.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

226 by Jackson1333 »»
17 seconds ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

68 by ToG25thBaam »»
29 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

37 by xqXpx »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

20 by MandarBloodeagle »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.