Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 27, 2016 9:10 AM

Jun 2015
I guess I speak and write English pretty well, there is always room for improvement, of course, but I think my current prowess is fine.
Apr 27, 2016 9:28 AM
Apr 2015
I think I'm not good at English at all.. xD it's not my native tongue and I'm still learning. Usually I don't even think about grammar etc., I just write what sounds about right lol. But I think people still understand what I'm trying to say, so.. :D
Apr 27, 2016 9:39 AM

Dec 2013
me can speaking english a lot me think me is goood in it i can thought me learned like much year ofs its danke.
Apr 27, 2016 10:30 AM

Feb 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
RyanEsau said:

Not what I was taught, always been told it's bad English. I tend to avoid doing it, most people don't really seem to care though internet-wise as I said. Not sure about irl, people probably care even less... I don't think people really would pay attention to each sentence like that to catch such errors in most cases.

According to this website, the "rule" started in the 19th century to, supposedly, stop kids from overusing conjunctions. I regard it in the same way as the "rule" that you have to wait an hour after eating before swimming: unchallenged beliefs that, because they get repeated so often, people believe are actually true.

yosimba2000 said:

Plus, who really cares?

Not anyone who's written great books since the 10th century or guides of style.

I find the purpose of books is to express a story, and if it requires incorrect grammar, then that's what should be done.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Apr 27, 2016 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
Pure garbage. I don't often use English so writing a paragraph can take me up to 15 minutes and I don't get my point across most of the time. When reading books or manga, I have to read the text 3-4 times before fully getting what's going on and I easily get lost when watching an anime with subs.

Life is suffering.
Apr 27, 2016 10:59 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
yosimba2000 said:
I find the purpose of books is to express a story, and if it requires incorrect grammar, then that's what should be done.

Totally. For example, stream of consciousness gives up proper punctuation, and uses run-on sentences a lot for effect.
Apr 27, 2016 11:10 AM

Feb 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
yosimba2000 said:

Totally. For example, stream of consciousness gives up proper punctuation, and uses run-on sentences a lot for effect.

Catcher in the Rye is my jam. I love Holden Caulfield!
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Apr 27, 2016 11:10 AM

Oct 2014
The title of this topic is golden irony.
Apr 27, 2016 11:14 AM
Apr 2016
BatoKusanagi said:
Let's just say that I found The Scarlett Letter light reading.
On the Internet, sure.

Ah! I'm reading that one myself for English classes, as a non-native, I found it to be one of the more challenging books that were required to read for this class. Did you like the book?
Apr 27, 2016 11:15 AM

Jan 2016
Bad honestly, I'm good with interpretation though. For most of my life though - I based English purely off on intuition.But, English is calculated- I blame my schooling, grammar was always secondary. :/
Apr 27, 2016 11:29 AM
Apr 2016
It's hilarious because native English speakers don't learn much grammar at school. Instead they learn rules off by heart.

Often you'll find them giving you the correct grammar but they can't explain how they know, they just know lol.
Apr 27, 2016 11:44 AM

Dec 2015
Well yeah I really think I speak english pretty well. I studied it since I was a child and I feel I can have a fluent conversation with anyone in english.
I can watch YouTube videos in english and I can understand like the 80% or even more of what they are saying.
Of course, everybody have mistakes, grammar may not be the best, but at least you can communicate with the rest and that's the most important think I guess :)
Right now the only thing I need is more vocabulary, expanding it would be really useful.
See ya! ~

Apr 27, 2016 12:01 PM

Oct 2012
I'd say I am decent considering it's not my maternal langage, putting aside actual grade from highschool. In usage people have no trouble to understand me and do not correct me each 2 words when I speak.
Apr 27, 2016 12:24 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
yosimba2000 said:

Catcher in the Rye is my jam. I love Holden Caulfield!

Oh, now you reminded me that I have to read that. As if my backlog wasn't already big enough.

SwordStorm said:
Ah! I'm reading that one myself for English classes, as a non-native, I found it to be one of the more challenging books that were required to read for this class. Did you like the book?

I did. I gave a 4/5 stars in Goodreads. I was exaggerating, but it's true that I didn't find it as hard to read as I heard other people say. I found Paradise Lost a harder read.
Apr 27, 2016 12:43 PM

May 2014
I like to think I'm pretty damn good!!

Imo, part of being good at English is knowing when and where to use the "correct" grammar and when it's more appropriate to shorten stuff down. Efficiency is key when you're texting, so it'd be a tad weird if you message a friend's chill one liner back an hour later with a perfectly punctuated essay.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2016 1:01 PM

Feb 2014
I use english every day, it's my second language (probably the last one). I like to think that I'm good at it, but there's always something new to learn.
However, I think that when it comes to talking to people online I'm the worst a typing. I always type something incorrectly and I always have to read again my messages.
(For those wondering, yeah I read this thing before posting like 3 times.)

-El Psy Congroo
Apr 27, 2016 1:02 PM

Dec 2013
Better than you probably, don't worry you're not as bad as FGAU
Apr 27, 2016 1:15 PM

Mar 2008
LordVitaly said:
traed said:

Aren't you not supposed to start sentence with "and"?

It's totally okay to start your sentence with coordinating conjunctions.

I know you can start a sentence with "And", but it looks pretty bad if it is expanding on the previous sentence beecause it looks like stopping in the middle of one sentence.
Apr 27, 2016 1:15 PM

Oct 2013
I'm a native English speaker but maaaan!!! My grammer sucks ass!!!! Fuck yeah!!!!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 27, 2016 1:51 PM

Apr 2016
Not my first language but I'm pretty good at it, enough to not make mistakes like in the title lol. But my level in English is one of a high school student so I guess it's not sufficiently in-depth.

𝒮𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝓀𝒾𝑒𝓈
𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚎
𝚎𝚢𝚎𝚜 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚒𝚛𝚎
𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚒𝚗' 𝚖𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚕𝚞𝚎

Apr 27, 2016 2:39 PM

Sep 2015
Mi not so bien at English, pinchi gringo.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Apr 27, 2016 2:53 PM

Feb 2012
I think my English is alright, but hopefully it will get better.
Apr 27, 2016 4:40 PM
Feb 2016
Pretty good I would say. However, I do have the issue of writing typos when I'm typing very quickly.

Apr 27, 2016 4:59 PM

Apr 2016
English is not my native language but i think people understand what i type for the most part.
Apr 27, 2016 5:52 PM

May 2014
atrocious. SAT writing 620 reading 530 n_n
Apr 27, 2016 6:14 PM

May 2008
I'd say I'm pretty good in English. It's not my native language, but I speak/write it better than my entire extended family.
Apr 27, 2016 8:42 PM

Aug 2009
I'd say not really good or bad, just average honestly. I don't tend to get many grammar mistakes or anything, but I have a fairly limited vocabulary.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 27, 2016 8:42 PM

Jun 2015
Google Translater = win

I have difficulty to use a/an, since English it's not my native language and the only use for it, it's here.
No Signature.
◄◄◄- look there
Apr 27, 2016 8:43 PM

Sep 2009
My English is perfect, but I intentionally misspell words when using slang or general internet language.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 27, 2016 11:26 PM

Dec 2015
i'm good but i don't have motivation to type like it
Apr 28, 2016 12:44 AM

Mar 2012
It's the only language I can speak fluently so I sure as fuck hope I'm good at it.

In terms of grammar and whatnot I think I'm pretty good though. Though I do find myself making the occasional typo when I write assignments. Plus there's a few words that I can never quite manage to spell correctly unless I look them up.
Apr 28, 2016 2:40 AM

Aug 2015
Being an ESL teacher has improved my use of English greatly. It is quite curious to realize just how poorly we as native speakers understand our own language once we begin to teach it. Interestingly I have to teach things that I am rather sure that I never studied and I suppose that is because, once again, as native speakers we learned our language differently than those who study it as a second language.

As an aside, learning a second language also seems to have helped to improve my structure and use of English because it has forced me to understand things such as conjugation, which as a native speaker is something that at least I didn't give a second thought. For example: many people know how to use the passive but could not tell you what it is but once you begin to teach you have to know such nuances.

Lastly I find it quite interesting just how well non-native speakers understand grammar. Particularly, in my experience, with speakers from Eastern Europe who often times already speak three plus languages.

(My weak point has always been and always will be proper punctuation.)
Apr 28, 2016 2:58 AM

Apr 2015
I suck at grammar, but overall I still can speak fluently.
Apr 28, 2016 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
i only misuse it on purpose whenever i'm talking to my friends
supposedly,i'm proficient in english
Apr 28, 2016 5:46 AM

Oct 2015
i awesome in engleesh

like best on class
Apr 28, 2016 5:54 AM

Jan 2009
SeibaaHomu said:
Plus there's a few words that I can never quite manage to spell correctly unless I look them up.
Same here; spelling everything in English on my own is just too difficult for me.

k813zra said:
Shouldn't it be "will always be"? Since I find that it sounds better like this.
Apr 28, 2016 7:19 AM

Aug 2015
Noboru said:
SeibaaHomu said:
Plus there's a few words that I can never quite manage to spell correctly unless I look them up.
Same here; spelling everything in English on my own is just too difficult for me.

k813zra said:
Shouldn't it be "will always be"? Since I find that it sounds better like this.

I guess that is more of a whichever sounds best to you because grammatically they are both fine.

Which reminds me, here the English that is taught is British which differs from American English, to large extents at times. Even things such as sentence structure. However, as with the case quoted above there are always thing which are correct as stated but more accepted when written in another manner.

Never will I be an expert at any of this as I have only taught ESL, it isn't something that I went to school for. (I could have written I will never be, you see?)
Apr 28, 2016 8:45 AM
May 2015
I write with a very scrupulous attention to spelling and grammar, as I'm deathly afraid to make mistakes in general, haha.
I'm like this with my native language too. 。(*^▽^*)ゞ

Wait, did I make any mistakes?
Apr 28, 2016 8:47 AM

Sep 2009
Eye ish teh grammar nazis mah man!~~
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 28, 2016 8:55 AM

Sep 2009
I think that I'm reasonably competent at grammar. I only seldom make grammatical errors and I'm confident that I convey meaning reasonably well.

My writing style, on the other hand, could definitely do with some improvement. While I do not make that many 'formal' mistakes I have a lot of bad habits: using the passive voice too much; abusing the semicolon; using a 'conversational' tone; unnecessary sentence complexity.

I could probably avoid this if I spent more time proofreading what I write before posting it, but I doubt it's worth the effort for the sake of a forum post.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 28, 2016 8:58 AM

Jan 2009
k813zra said:
Never will I be an expert at any of this as I have only taught ESL, it isn't something that I went to school for. (I could have written I will never be, you see?)
"Never will I be" sounds perfectly fine to me, because it's a "Verb second"-Phrase in which the Adverb is highlighted in first Position of the Sentence.
NoboruApr 28, 2016 9:05 AM
Apr 28, 2016 10:09 AM

Oct 2013
Well, if you ask me, I try to write as appropriate as I can but since we're all human, mistakes are inevitable sometimes.

Listening to shows like those dubbed animes and reading a few books is what keeps my English somewhat good. But to be honest I'm not that good either considering my native language isn't English.

Learning English phrases daily can be pretty helpful in getting better at English. Talking in English really helps too. There are people, including me, who either take a bit time to make up a sentence or come up with a simple one.

Well, lets just put that aside for now. I try to keep my grammar and punctuation right as much as i can when I'm writing English ^^ .
Apr 28, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2015
I don't know a lot of vocabulary but I think my grammar is alright.
Apr 28, 2016 1:06 PM

Dec 2013
YOU'RE ARE PRETTY COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 28, 2016 2:13 PM

Aug 2013
I would consider myself fairly competent, especially considering that I'm not a native English speaker. I do make errors occasionally, though. English is relatively easy to learn, but it's a language that is impossible to master; not a week goes by without my discovering new words, terms, errors, et cetera.

I think it's funny, and a tad bit sad, when I see non-English speakers use the language more proficiently than native speakers. I'm not sure why that is, but I suspect that it has something to do with foreigners being more aware of grammatical errors and correcting themselves, seeing as they, in general, aren't taught the language in the same natural way that native English speakers are. I'm obviously not speaking on behalf of everyone, but I felt a lot more self-conscious about my English when I was younger at least, which was an incentive for me to constantly improve and become better. I think that native English speakers are more prone to overlooking subtle mistakes and silly misspellings.
Apr 28, 2016 4:04 PM

Apr 2015
Menzo- said:
Oh the irony in that title.

I think that was deliberate, though?

Considering it's my native language, I like to think I'm pretty competent. I don't really worry about my grammar when I'm on the internet, because it's the internet, and who cares? I think my grammar and general understanding of the English language is pretty standard, although I sometimes break rules, (Yes, I will end my sentence with a preposition, and you can't stop me!) And still mess up on what punctuation I'm supposed to use, etc. But For the most part I'd say my English is pretty good.
Apr 28, 2016 4:12 PM

Sep 2011
Depends. I'm pretty good at English when it comes to typing out and so on, but when it comes to speaking, I jumble my words a lot and pronounce shit wrong quite a bit. It's actually quite funny, tbh. I was shit at English back in high school since the English teachers I had suck and I really didn't pay much attention in class. It was an 8:30 AM Class. My English improved greatly when I started practicing on my own and took an independent class to upgrade my English 12 after High school.

When it comes to reading over articles and trying to make a report on it, I'm absolute trash-tier.
Apr 28, 2016 4:29 PM

Mar 2013
I don't think I'm bad at it, just very inconsistent
Apr 28, 2016 5:36 PM

Dec 2013
I think I'm pretty good at it considering I'm not a native speaker and I learned nearly everything by myself. I have an issue with run-on sentences (I ramble too much) but I can perfectly understand everything that's being said on this thread so there is that.
Apr 28, 2016 6:02 PM

Jan 2016
I happen to be very good at speaking and writing English. For a person with many non-fluent friends I find it very enjoyable to be able to help teach others how to properly speak and write English better, one of the many things I do to pass the time in my boring high school life xD.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» I am trying to get over 10,000 posts on this site by the end of this year....

DesuMaiden - 23 minutes ago

7 by Zarutaku »»
18 seconds ago

» Have you ever given up on major passions in your life?

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

26 by RobertBobert »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe in near term human extinction or NTHE?

deg - 8 hours ago

22 by monsta666 »»
7 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

321 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything?

Ejrodiew - 2 hours ago

9 by _Nette_ »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.