Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2016 2:15 PM

Apr 2016
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Curious~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2016 2:17 PM

Mar 2013
How fast the story and its events progress through the episodes.

Fast pacing means that a relatively complex series of events were explained and presented in a relatively short amount of time. Slow pacing means that relatively unimportant scenes and matters stretch far and wide through the episodes, explaining little to nothing of importance.
Apr 24, 2016 2:17 PM

Sep 2015
The pace at which the anime goes; the amount of time spent on each segment / story / arc, etc.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 24, 2016 4:17 PM
Oct 2014
Subpyro said:
How fast the story and its events progress through the episodes.

Fast pacing means that a relatively complex series of events were explained and presented in a relatively short amount of time. Slow pacing means that relatively unimportant scenes and matters stretch far and wide through the episodes, explaining little to nothing of importance.

This is an excellent definition.

I should also add that in reviews you'll sometimes come across the word, usually in a negative connotation. "Too fast-paced" or "too slow-paced" is not uncommon.

Something too slow-paced feels like the story drags on and doesn't go anywhere for a while. If you feel yourself wanting to fast-forward to the good parts, chances are the pacing of the show is too slow. This does not necessarily mean there's a lack of excitement or adventure; I sometimes complain when shows drag out the ending too long. I don't like it when the final battle should have taken just 1 episode but instead it takes 3 or 4.

Less common is to complain about something being too fast-paced. If there's no time for the heroes to stop and catch their breath, sometimes the action can get tedious and lose any excitement it might otherwise have. There's no time to pause and observe how all those battle scenes have shaped the world or at least the heroes, so they lose some of their meaning. Worse still is that it can get confusing when it tries to jam too much complexity into not enough screen time. (I'm talking to you, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou!)
Apr 24, 2016 11:25 PM

Jul 2015
In some way pacing means the way a show presents a story, it partly determines whether the concept/theme of a show is well illustrated or not.

For many genres fast pacing is necessary, while for other genres moderate pacing is preferred. It depends on what the story is about and what idea it intends to express.
FrierenApr 25, 2016 12:18 AM
Apr 24, 2016 11:35 PM

Sep 2015
Bad Pacing Is like

This. Every part is

Hard to Read and is
All Over The place

While good pacing is like this. Good pacing doesn't make you feel nauseous while watching the anime/reading the manga.

This was an example in text/typing how horrible bad pacing can be when being compared to good pacing
Apr 24, 2016 11:36 PM
Jan 2013
It's just a way for you to tell how better the manga is compared to the anime
gone bai bai
Apr 24, 2016 11:37 PM

Apr 2015
Pacing in itself is how the story progresses. "Bad pacing" on the other hand is simply how people feel about the pacing in a show, many people consider "bad" if it's jumpy or stop-starty and doesn't "flow" well, or feel fluid.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Apr 24, 2016 11:49 PM

Nov 2015
'Good Pacing' or 'Bad Pacing' actually mean "I can't think of anything bad to say about this show so I'll use some words other people use which would sound nice in my review"
Apr 25, 2016 12:04 AM

Feb 2015
If you want to think about it as a ratio, you can view pacing in terms of either:

d(time passing inside the world of the anime)/d(time passing on screen)

or

d(number of significant status-quo changing events in the anime)/d(anime length)

by d I mean delta - but all that represents is that the pacing can change back and forth during any given series.

Coomberlane said:
'Good Pacing' or 'Bad Pacing' actually mean "I can't think of anything bad to say about this show so I'll use some words other people use which would sound nice in my review"

Stop projecting your inadequacies all over the place. It's unseemly.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 25, 2016 12:13 AM

Dec 2012
Pacing in any storytelling medium is how fast or slow the events are happening, and how much time is given to each specific events, developments, conflicts, resolutions, etc.

For example:
The plot is Person A broke up with person B, and the show is focusing on how he deals with that.

If that's happens in 2 episodes then that's relatively fast pacing. if it happens in 5 episodes then that's relatively slow.

How good or bad pacing is, entirely depends on the person perceiving it, and their preferences. I personally think fast pacing is usually better. Most users on this forum for whatever reason correlate slow pacing with good, and any fast pacing with ''rushed'' and ''trainwreck''. For example a lot of people say Tokyo Ghoul anime was rushed and had bad pacing, while I think it's pacing was great and it was definitely not rushed.

Generally speaking unless a story really calls for it, I don't think slow pacing is ever beneficial or has any merit but quite the opposite, it causes the worst thing possible for any story, boredom.
Apr 25, 2016 12:19 AM

Nov 2015
The rate of occurrence of events in an anime.

Faster pacing = More number of events occurring in an episode but less time spent on explaining each event.
Slower pacing = More time spent on each event but each occurring farther in between.
Apr 25, 2016 12:47 AM

Nov 2009
pacing = amount of stuff happening per unit of time.

Normally people expect a show to maintain more-or-less constant pacing throughout the show, possibly a little faster in the beginning and end.
A number of shows work differently (often because of external factors). The most infamous ones are Endless Eight (8 episodes of extra-slow pacing) and Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maou (and ending that had to cram too many events into too few episodes, because there was no other place to finish). These cases can rightfully be called bad pacing.

With the exact pacing normally depends on the genre. Slice-of-life are slow, thrillers are fast (that's probably the true definitions of these two genres).
Do note that some anime adopt an unusual pacing for their genre, for example Grimgar is unusually slow for a heroic fantasy. That does not automatically make the show bad, but it does make it unusual and should be mentioned in a review or description.
Apr 25, 2016 12:53 AM

Apr 2014
It's the tempo in which each of the event unfold in the story.
Apr 25, 2016 8:20 AM

Apr 2016
Thanks everyone! Love you guys <3 --
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 3:27 PM

May 2015
Things that affect pacing:

- How long a shot lasts
- How long a scene lasts
- How long an arc takes to finish
- How quick are the conversations, how much space there is between saying
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 26, 2016 5:12 PM

Feb 2015
The amount of time it takes for plot developments to transpire in, also refer to Brain's post on stuff that affects pacing. Understanding "what" pacing in won't really add to a creator's ability to make a better paced anime though, but a good understanding what each allotment of time in the title is meant for will, in my opinion.
Apr 27, 2016 1:24 PM

May 2015
TheRefractingOne said:
The amount of time it takes for plot developments to transpire in, also refer to Brain's post on stuff that affects pacing. Understanding "what" pacing in won't really add to a creator's ability to make a better paced anime though, but a good understanding what each allotment of time in the title is meant for will, in my opinion.

I think it is important to read these to understand how to make better pacing.

Good pacing is asking yourself this question: If I extended this scene/shot/conversation, will it contribute anything to do the anime? Is the time spent worth the pay-off?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 27, 2016 3:21 PM

Nov 2014
The rate of change in the story or character development.

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

37 by Shirayukin »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 minutes ago

2 by EpicO4 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
9 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 13 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
13 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

9 by DancingTheBa »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.