Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2016 1:39 PM

Jan 2016
So i was wondering which series of the Pokemon anime you all like the best

For me the Diamond and Pearl series is easily the best out of all of them. It had decent arcs and some magnificent ones like the Hunter J arc and Mount Cornet Arc.

The battles were really amazing, especially the Infernape vs Electivire fight. And the best of all Dawn was an amazing character and the best traveling companion of Ash according to me as she had her own adventure and she was the co star of the show unlike all the other series.

Anyways what about you guys? Which one of the series do you guys prefer?
Apr 11, 2016 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
few people followed the series after their childhood ... or went through the older series
therefore there aren't many who can actually compare the series

i'd wager most people here grew up with the original
Apr 11, 2016 1:52 PM

Jan 2009
So where the option for Pokemon Origins? Ya know the one Pokemon series that's actually good, albeit short.
That's what I wanna vote for 'cus never liked the pokemon anime that much.
Atleast Origins didn't bore me to death and the MC wasn't ungodly annoying.
Not to mention Red doesn't suck and actually gets shit done.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Apr 11, 2016 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
I grew up with the Original and Advance, but imo, Diamond and Pearl was the best. It has the best Ash combat-wise (so skillfull the writers had to add an asspull to get him defeated this time), a great character development for the female lead, the best plot regarding the evil team of the series and the rival this time was the best since Gary.

I say however that I liked Advance more, since I grew with the 3rd Generation of Pokemon, also has good character development for May and it's the only season when Ash wins something at the end without counting the Orange Islands (the Battle Frontier).
Apr 11, 2016 1:53 PM

Jan 2016
I think so to, but there still are alot of people who watch the Pokmon serie so i thought why not give it a try
Apr 11, 2016 1:55 PM

Dec 2013
Diamond and Pearl masterrace represent
Apr 11, 2016 1:58 PM

Jan 2016
_Peksi said:
So where the option for Pokemon Origins? Ya know the one Pokemon series that's actually good, albeit short.

I wanted to comapre the main series as i knew alot of people who have seen Orgins would vote for that as it's really great and more like an anime serie then a cartoon
Apr 11, 2016 2:04 PM

Feb 2013
If I see 1 vote for Best Wishes I will commit sudoko

also you should have probably split the original into Indigo League(+Orange Islands) and Johto
I know MAL has it as 1 big season, but it's not really fair I guess
ChampApr 11, 2016 2:09 PM
Apr 11, 2016 2:09 PM

Jan 2009
FireFistYamaan said:
_Peksi said:

I wanted to comapre the main series as i knew alot of people who have seen Orgins would vote for that as it's really great and more like an anime serie then a cartoon

Eh I guess I'll go with the original then.
Mainly 'cus of nostalgia and 'cus I actually remember something about it.

It will never go away

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Apr 11, 2016 2:33 PM

Apr 2014
The first season has the best feels, the ruby/sapphire/emerald one had the best fights.
Apr 11, 2016 2:36 PM

Oct 2014
Advanced Generation by far, in my opinion.
Apr 11, 2016 2:39 PM

Dec 2015
Original of course. Where else can you see a 12 year old being forced into a swimsuit competition and traumatised with cross dressing inflatable boobs?

Apr 11, 2016 2:40 PM

Oct 2014
All I remember about Pokemon was the red and blue cartridges. I think I preferred the blue one, but it was a long time ago so I'm not quite sure. I also remember finding a sheep card in a trash can.

OT: Whichever one gave the most seizures is obviously the best eserie.
Apr 11, 2016 3:02 PM
Sep 2011
For me the first season wins, the Indigo season. Back then the Team Rocket trio was somewhat threatening but still comical. The show didn't rely so thoroughly on "girl of the week" filler and Brock actually served a purpose as a mentor to Ash. Eventually the TR trio and Brock just became vehicles for stale running jokes, to the point that they finally removed Brock come the Diamond and Pearl season.

Another reason I feel the first season wins isn't so much because it's the best, but because it was my first experience with the series. Back then I didn't know the show was just going to go full Simpsons and never get anywhere. I and many were actually surprised when Ash lost the first league, and thought he would grow and improve. Instead later seasons just keep dumbing him down.

Even if I didn't think the first season was the best, twenty years of the same strictly formula thing with only a rare arc (like the Red Gyarados arc) to mix things up, got stale very fast.

Ash is never going to catch more than what's necessary for his active party for the season, he's never going to win a league competition that matters, and eventually he's just gonna get rid of all of his Pokemon (and traveling companions) and start off fresh with just Pikachu.
Apr 11, 2016 3:12 PM

Jan 2016
None of these series, they should adapt the manga :<

Seriously the plot is definitely better altough i enjoyed the first movie.
Johnnyd3rpApr 11, 2016 3:17 PM
Apr 11, 2016 4:04 PM

Apr 2015
I'll go with original.

But better question: Why isn't Pokemon Origins an option? =.=
Apr 11, 2016 4:07 PM

May 2015
Diamond and Pearl>X+Y>Original>Advanced>a empty bottle of coke>Pokemon Orgins>shit>cancer>your favorite anime>Pokemon Best Wishes.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Apr 11, 2016 4:09 PM

Apr 2015
Pokemon XY/Z is still ongoing so I won't rank it(3-ish at the moment)

1. Pokemon Original
2. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
3. Pokemon Advanced

4. Pokemon Best Wishes
Apr 11, 2016 6:02 PM

Apr 2011
Misty saga was glorious, but it's all about Serena now.
Apr 11, 2016 6:07 PM

Jul 2012
The manga.

But if I had to pick between the Anime, I enjoyed Hoenn arc (aka Advanced) the most.
Apr 11, 2016 6:13 PM

Mar 2015
Probably Diamond/Pearl or Advanced.
Apr 11, 2016 6:15 PM

Jul 2011
The one that have Misty and Brock as MC.
Apr 11, 2016 6:22 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not a fan of pokemon as an anime in general. But I believe I've only watched the original series plus Orange islands back when I was young and those were on TV. Don't remember if they were the same or different series though. Since I haven't watched any of the other pokemon series I'm not gonna vote in the poll itself, but I do remember enjoying the Oranges Islands the most.
Apr 11, 2016 7:17 PM

Aug 2013
All bad, but the least bad is between dpp or adv.
『パイル』| Twitter
Apr 11, 2016 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
XY only because of Serena and the fight scenes are the best the series has ever had.
Apr 11, 2016 9:11 PM

Jun 2015
The original. Ash somehow gets dumber each season. So yeah.
Apr 11, 2016 9:16 PM

Aug 2015
>advanced ahead of anything
disgusting

anyway the original series is still the only one I actually enjoy
it's funny, the characters are cleverly written and the world didn't feel as boring as it does nowadays
Apr 12, 2016 2:38 AM

Jun 2009
I voted AG tho it's a pretty hard decision for me. I think every season has it's strong points but in the end I think AG was the most well rounded for me when it comes to writing, characters, the group, art style and Soundtrack.

Writing wise I do believe DP may have been the best but I personally don't like Dawn and Piplup at all plus I'm not fond of the group in general in DP. They just don't really seem like an actually group to me, idk.

I'm also kinda sad because I think that XY might've had the chance to get the best season by far if it wasn't for boring af rivals (where's the sassyness? D:), too many episodes with Pokemon X falls for Pokemon Y, if the characters in general weren't kinda boring to me (Serena taking 60 episodes to actually do ANYTHING besides blushing and Ash being way too good-tempered, no arguing and stuff idk, it's just not the Ash I'm used to seeing) and the lack of Serena/Citorn and Ash/Eurika moments.
Apr 12, 2016 2:52 AM

Jul 2013
advanced was amazeballing plus it also had the best pokemon op =)

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 12, 2016 3:33 AM

May 2009
Most will vote for season 1 and 2. I will vote for XYZ as that's objectively the best for most long time watchers of the animé. Daomind and Pearl is #2 and the original on #3 imo.
Apr 12, 2016 4:15 AM

Mar 2014
Original>Advanced>/=D&P>>>Best Wishes.

(Only seen some of XYZ)
Apr 12, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2013
I've only seen the original, I think I gave up after a few episodes of Advanced for some reason and then I gave up watching for years then went back when XY series came out.

Both of those are great, I love original for nostalgia reasons being a kid but XY is amazing and love Serena, she's my favourite companion. XYZ is on here now, so gotta watch first episode on repeat on Friday or record it.
Apr 15, 2016 10:28 AM
Jan 2015
XY&Z so far, It has surpassed all the others. All you gotta do is watch it.
Shadow
Apr 19, 2016 2:08 PM

Aug 2015
I haven't checked out pokemon XY Z yet.
But so far Pokemon XY, was rather good lol! Atm the best for me,
the characters were a lot more likeable + the music was catchy.

Think I gonna pick up Pokemon XY Z up this vacation.

Apr 19, 2016 5:24 PM

Jun 2014
Original was melodramatic. Advanced had garbage characters.

XY is loads better.
Apr 29, 2016 11:27 AM

Aug 2006
BeBackinaSec said:
The original. Ash somehow gets dumber each season. So yeah.

If you go back and re-watch the original series, you will realize how dumb Ash really was back then compared to XY/Z though. He utterly failed at training Pokemon back then and none of his Pokemon evolved except butterfree, which shows how little he spent training them at all (most of the gym badges he got were also flukes or just pure luck as well). But this was okay because he literally was a beginner trainer and an actual 10 year old, so it made sense. Still, if you compare him back then to now, he was a literal joke.

Nowadays he is really gym leader tier in terms of knowledge and skill in Pokemon battling. Plus in one season he was asked to be a Frontier Brain for his region which is the same level as a gym leader (probably a bit higher in some regards, since that is post-game in the game series). The thing is the anime hasn't really elaborated on his age (they probably never will, Black/White thing "HE'S STILL 10" was a fluke, that series was a disaster in all regards). However, they are making it seem like he is an "expert" trainer now to show that he has grown. Especially since one of his Pokemon is over-powered enough to take on a Charizard that was able to fight through 10 really strong Pokemon IN A ROW without fainting. That's insane.
zonnikkuApr 29, 2016 11:37 AM
May 3, 2016 2:12 AM

Jun 2011
1. Diamond and Pearl
2. Original
3. Advanced
4. X/Y
5. Best Wishes

I have seen many people praise X/Y, and I thought it was good too.. at the beginning that is. It quickly turns into something like Best Wishes, except not as atrocious. X/Y had tons of potential, but the writing and everything don't feel.. genuine. You don't have really heartfelt deep moments like in DP or the Original, or even Advanced. Everything is oversimplified these days. Back then, Ash's pokemon was Ash's, and there was a special bond between him and his pokemon. Nowadays, he treats his pokemon just like any other pokemon. The bond between him and his pokemon feels very superficial, even though the plot demands us to think otherwise.
P.S. rant on for way too long lol, but yea, DP is by far my favorite pokemon season.
P.P.S. I don't like the lack of rival for Ash in X/Y, it's been a tradition for the pokemon franchise to have Ash have a rival every region, doesn't seem to have one here.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 3, 2016 4:17 AM
Jan 2015
XY generation is currently surpassing every series of Pokemon ever. I'm not sure why people are calling Advanced and Diamond and Pearl better when Ash is much more competing and has much better companions too. Some people call it a worse version of Best Wishes. The XY anime gives Pokemon fans an actual good reason to follow the anime which not many people do.

1. XY

2. DP

3. Advanced

4.Original

5.Best Wishes
Shadow
May 3, 2016 6:08 AM

Jan 2016
MiniiNinja said:
XY generation is currently surpassing every series of Pokemon ever. I'm not sure why people are calling Advanced and Diamond and Pearl better when Ash is much more competing and has much better companions too. Some people call it a worse version of Best Wishes. The XY anime gives Pokemon fans an actual good reason to follow the anime which not many people do.

1. XY

2. DP

3. Advanced

4.Original

5.Best Wishes

XY is not all that bad to be honest. It's just that for me DP had epic story arcs and the Ash vs Paul rivalry was awesome. Also it was arguably Ash's strongest Team in the enitre series with With power houses like Infernape,Gliscor and Torterra.

I really enjoyed the XY series until the Shalour city gym battle which was amazing. After that it really did not intrest me that much. XY&Z is much better but i did not like the Pokemon Showcase idéa.
Jul 25, 2016 10:45 AM

Mar 2014
As nostalgic the original series is, it has its problems. The majority of the "Gym Battles" weren't legit and more than half of the badges weren't earn through actual battles. The most notable flaw that the other series avoid are the characters of the Pokémon. Not Satoshi's Pokémon, but the Pokémon of Kasumi, Takeshi, Musashi and Kojirou. Most of them don't have a unique personality or are rather flat. Arbok and Weezing are basically the same character twice and there was nothing that distinguished them, aside from their species and movesets. Kasumi's Togepi, Psyduck, Corsola and Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Politoad were her most quirkiest Pokémon, but the rest of the team were just there. Same goes for Takeshi, who didn't have any quirky Pokémon besides Pineco, but most of Pineco's personality was lost after its evolution. Kenji's Scyther had lots of personality for a Pokémon, Marill had a little bit, and his Venonat was just a Venonat. Musashi's only quirky Pokémon is her Woobuffet and people love it, and Kojirou's most memorable ones were his Growlie and Victreebel (Weezing was just doing it's usual stuff and is no different from Arbok's character.).

Advance Generation made a good job of giving Team Rocket and Satoshi's companions quirky and developed Pokémon, so they would become more memorable. Compare Takeshi's Pokémon from any series with the original series and say which of them has the most memorable personality. The female companions were also given a distinct role, so they would not be end up as a dead weight like Kasumi for most of the original series.

XY seems to have learned from the mistakes of past series, making Team Rocket, both comical and semi-competent, making Eureka not a brat like Masato was, making Citron different from Takeshi and Dent by making him a non-big-brother-mentor character to Satoshi, and adding the ship tease between Serena and Satoshi and giving Serena charming Pokémon (though I wish they could be stronger). And if Satoshi wins the league and the ship is resolved, the series could be "perfect".

FireFistYamaan said:
Also it was arguably Ash's strongest Team in the enitre series, with powerhouses like Infernape, Gliscor and Torterra.

Yeah, Torterra...
MajinAkumaJul 26, 2016 7:12 AM
Jul 25, 2016 1:21 PM

Jan 2016
MajinAkuma said:
As nostalgic the original series is, it has its problems. The majority of the "Gym Battles" weren't legit and more than half of the badges weren't earn through actual battles. The most notable flaw that the other series avoid are the characters of the Pokémon. Not Satoshi's Pokémon, but the Pokémon of Kasumi, Takeshi, Musashi and Kojirou. Most of them don't have a unique personality or are rather flat. Arbok and Weezing are basically the same character twice and there was nothing that distinguished them, aside from their species and movesets. Kasumi's Togepi, Psyduck, Corsola and Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Politoad were her most quirkiest characters, but the rest of the team were just there. Same goes for Takeshi, who didn't have any quirky Pokémon besides Pineco, but most of Pineco's personality was lost after its evolution. Kenji's Scyther had lots of personality for a Pokémon, Marill had a little bit, and his Venonat was just a Venonat. Musashi's only quirky Pokémon is her Woobuffet and people love it, and Kojirou's most memorable ones were his Growlie and Victreebel (Weezing was just doing it's usual stuff and is no different from Arbok's character.).

Advance Generation made a good job of giving Team Rocket and Satoshi's companions quirky and developed Pokémon, so they would become more memorable. Compare Takeshi's Pokémon from any series with the original series and say which of them has the most memorable personality. The female companions were also given a distinct role, so they would not be end up as a dead weight like Kasumi for most of the original series.

XY seems to have learned from the mistakes of past series, making Team Rocket, both comical and semi-competent, making Eureka not a brat like Masato was, making Citron different from Takeshi and Dent by making him a non-big-brother-mentor character to Satoshi, and adding the ship tease between Serena and Satoshi and giving Serena charming Pokémon (though I wish they could be stronger). And if Satoshi wins the league and the ship is resolved, the series could be "perfect".

FireFistYamaan said:
Also it was arguably Ash's strongest Team in the enitre series, with powerhouses like Infernape, Gliscor and Torterra.

Yeah, Torterra...

Torterra failed alot but you cant deny that a fully evolved starter is super strong.

The OG serie is to be honest not that great when you think about it, but i still love it for the nostalgia, jokes, music and more. So You're right there.

The XYZ (Not XY) is probably the greatest but there are a few things that i dont like. The battles,music,animation,Ash is probably the best we have seen so far.
Ash is a strong and not so dense trainer finally like he was in DP. Citron is a great successor to Brock (NOT CILAN) and Eureka is much better then the anoying Max.
The biggest problem for me character wise is Serena.

I might get alot of hate for this but i have my reasons. Honestly i like Serena alot but alot of things destroyed her character for me. Her design is beautiful, good voice acting but what make's her not so great in my opinion is her crush on Ash.

The crush that the writers gave her on Ash is early on a bit cute and you somehow become an "Amourshipper" a bit. But after that she had no purpose whatsoever until the mid 40s episode. It took her freakin 47 long episodes to catch her first Pokemon Pancham. All she did up to that point was blush at every nice comment she got from Ash. NOTHING MORE! The Pokemon performer thing was a bad try at recreating the Pokemon contests that everyone liked and she got some rivals here and there.

Ofcourse she's a better character now but i started disliking her early on so it's a bit hard foro me to like her right now as much as other people. Ofcourse the overwhelming love she gets is because of the whole "Amourshipping" fuss. I would love her if her charecter didnt revolve around Ash.

Other then that Ash is at his peak, the Arcs are amazing and so are the charecters. The build up for the team flare arc has been superb and i honestly cant wait for it!
Jul 26, 2016 7:11 AM

Mar 2014
FireFistYamaan said:

Torterra failed alot but you cant deny that a fully evolved starter is super strong.

As strong as a fully evolved starter can be, it is still considerably weaker than the other four. Feats speak for themselves. Torterra lost to Pokémon despite having type advantages (some of them with countermeasures) while the other starters defeated Pokémon with type disadvantages. And then we have the battles against Legendaries and Mega Evolved Pokémon...
Jul 26, 2016 2:51 PM

Jul 2008
MajinAkuma said:
FireFistYamaan said:

As strong as a fully evolved starter can be, it is still considerably weaker than the other four. Feats speak for themselves. Torterra lost to Pokémon despite having type advantages (some of them with countermeasures) while the other starters defeated Pokémon with type disadvantages. And then we have the battles against Legendaries and Mega Evolved Pokémon...

In Torterra's defence. Infernape HAD to shine and for story telling he ever did so brilliantly. I mean that guy took MVP in everything after it went to Ash. From the remaining gyms to the Lake Valor match to the freaking League. Torterra was just used as a fall guy most of the time to facilitate Infernape and because his new battle style was such a big departure from Ash his usually Glass Cannon approach. Frick, his bloody Snorlax has been shown outspeeding lots of faster Pokemon.
Ash couldnt handle him AKA The writers couldnt come up with ways to have Torterra fight. Notice how even Paul his Torterra got shafted ? Strongest pokemon he got arguably, only really saw fight on a few sparce occasions.

Anyway, Kanto will always hold a special place in my heart and the end part of the Jotho saga was the epitome of all those years of story telling and thus that too gets a lot of mileage out of me during quality defence arguments and nostalgia questions. However it might be because BW ended quite terribly but I really, really like the Xy(z) arc. Though in the end, it doesnt matter how good a show was - if the ending doesnt appeal and abide to the standards you will leave with a nasty aftertaste. So if Xy pulls of a good enough ending I might have to champion that show from then on.
PunkbeetleJul 26, 2016 2:54 PM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Aug 18, 2016 3:19 PM

Jul 2011
I'm going with Diamond and Pearl.

This was was a really great season to me. Ash had a really great team of Pokemon this time around and was very close to winning the Pokemon league.

Dawn was a good travel companion. She knew what she wanted to do and moments of weakness, where she wasn't sure if what she was doing was right, not to mention had a great team of Pokemon and actually battled a gym leader.

This season also introduced us to Paul. Who was Ash complete opposite. He was much harsher to his Pokemon and battled in his own way. He maybe the reason Ash was so close to winning this time around.

Those are just my reason's for liking this season.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 9 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 24, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 7 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 10, 2015

14 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 5 Discussion

-Koga- - Nov 27, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 25, 9:07 AM

» Can I watch this as a standalone?

Nemersis - Jan 22

34 by Nemersis »»
Mar 7, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 3 Discussion

StarryWindy - Nov 12, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 6, 6:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.