Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2016 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was awesome, really liked their way of using the timeline and OP song is decent too.

Quite a bit of characters introduced, more than I had expected. The episode has a good casting and I like the symbolism of the poker cards (Joker). Pretty much a set up episode for now but I expect good things from the series. Yuuki's a character I want to know more for sure.
Apr 5, 2016 8:29 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Here's the OP....I really like the feel and sound of it, kinda reminds me of Baccano in a way

Apr 5, 2016 8:34 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Really looking forward to watch it when i'll be back today.
And while we are at it, here's the ED

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 5, 2016 9:05 AM
Dec 2015
Only one Word :

SPECTACULAR!!!

This show is one of my most anticipated in this Spring aside Re:Zero & Bungou Stray Dogs.

Didn't dissapointed me so far.
I like every characters in this show, the writing was good. OST, art and animation was amazing.
Basically this episode was just introduction but it was excellent.
Just like STARK said, I like the way they use Symbolism in this anime.

Based Production I.G.

Sadly this anime will only covers One Novel, I hope if this is a success, I.G. will adapting another Joker Game Novels later.
NotThisShitAgainApr 5, 2016 10:51 AM
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Apr 5, 2016 10:18 AM

Aug 2013
Inb4 complaining about engurish.
Nice OP song
Btw finally something with nice art from Production IG. I thought that they are totally lost in CG. Really nice surprise.
rsc-plApr 5, 2016 10:23 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 5, 2016 10:27 AM

Mar 2015
This was awesome!!!!!!, the tension, the characters, the direction was on point..
I didn't expect it to be this good.
Apr 5, 2016 10:31 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
That episode was pretty deep and I loved it

I love the introduction to the agency as well as the brief but somewhat detailed look at what the 8 guys went through in training and I must say that I was very impressed

What surprised me more though is that these guys are very complex and seeing the clash of ideologies between the group was great to see, and I love all of the symbolism with Poker/The Joker Card as well as with the awesome OP and ED

The directing in this episode was handled very well with the pacing, tone, visuals and music all flowing quite well and coherently with one another and it had that perfect amount of suspense at the end there that would leave you wanting more

I can't wait to see what happens next lol, but I can already tell that the American guy is going to get REKT hard xDD Man this is a spy series done right
TokoyaApr 5, 2016 10:37 AM
Apr 5, 2016 10:38 AM

Jul 2015
Character design looks like persona series. Pretty tense beginning episode. I like how that character that was narrating through the episode is the honest type while everyone else deceives. That dude saying "Hey take of your shoes! Are you even Japanese?!" made me laugh
Apr 5, 2016 10:39 AM

Jun 2014
This was freaking great. Love the setting and the overall tone of the series.
:3
Apr 5, 2016 10:39 AM

Apr 2013
this is going to be the best anime this season and its not even close.. loving the baccano vibes with the huge characters cast
Apr 5, 2016 10:42 AM

Apr 2015
One episode is enough for me to say that this is gonna be my favorite this season. Everything was perfect from the setting, voice acting, dialogue and ost. And I loved the tense atmosphere throughout. I even liked the way they introduced us to the characters and agency without feeling overwhelmed
Apr 5, 2016 10:46 AM

Feb 2014
Superb quality as expected from Production I.G. Great first episode and is different from anything I have seen in anime. Look forward to this serious spy drama.

That opening felt like a James Bond film.
eXtacy67Apr 5, 2016 10:49 AM
Apr 5, 2016 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode!

Everything started out perfectly! The voice acting, the setting and the characters seem good so far!
Apr 5, 2016 11:01 AM
Jul 2018
This was an intense first episode.

The characters are quite interesting especially the leader.

This spy anime just feels "international" as in they might be focusing on other countries politics like america and European countries as well which is nice instead of focusing solely on japan's government and the *insert enemy country here" government.
Apr 5, 2016 11:04 AM

Sep 2014
Holy shit, the American spy masquerading as a weeb was glorious. I misheard him say "that's my treasure" as "that's my trigger", had a nice laugh.

Definitely one of the most intriguing first episodes I've seen in quite some time, loved the Baccano-like feel it had to it. It's gonna take some time to remember the names of all these suited Japanese dudes though.
Apr 5, 2016 11:04 AM

Jan 2015
rsc-pl said:
Nice OP song
Btw finally something with nice art from Production IG. I thought that they are totally lost in CG. Really nice surprise.

What? Even their latest work Haikyuu!! has no notable CG or any if I may say so. They have top notch animation most of the time.

Good first episode. Tension was good but character designs are too similar. One of the better first episodes this season.

Apr 5, 2016 11:11 AM

May 2010
Intense episode indeed. Cant wait for next weeks eps..it kinda ended on a cliffhanger.

If this episode didnt get you hooked there is something wrong with you!
Apr 5, 2016 11:16 AM

Jan 2015
At first, I though it'll be another boring secret agencies story. But after that OP, I take it all back. This Anime is very worth to watch until the final episode. With EXCITEMENT for every episode of it.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 5, 2016 11:17 AM
Apr 2014
Hmm interesting, an anime that isn't blatant waifu pandering.
Aside from Nippon Patriotism-kun and the spies boss, the 8 students all look bland and have same face syndrome, hopefully they all get some individual characterization even though they're spies.
Apr 5, 2016 11:20 AM

Apr 2014
character designs look nice (if only the araki syndrome wasn't there), voice acting was great.

this could be one of the best spring animu if production IG does it right.
Apr 5, 2016 11:20 AM

Aug 2010
That was good. Really hope we get to know more about those 8 monsters that survived all the intense training. We're already getting glimpses about Miyoshi. And he's quite the troll already.

My fav part was definitely the explanation about the Joker Game. Damn that might actually be fun to play if u have nothing on the line. It can get ur mind thinking who the traitor is and who's on who's side. Already applying it to reality and Sakuma F'd XD
Apr 5, 2016 11:21 AM

Aug 2014
Well just as I expected, this really delivered for a 1st ep. If it continues in this direction, it might just be a top contender for this season! I'm really hyped to see next ep already!
Apr 5, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2015
I expected this show to really be my kind of thing, and I was right. Really enjoyed it.
"Your guilt will be your past, and that will be your God."

Jan 2015
Seems like a solid series. Wonder how long we'll remain in Japan and how historically faithful it'll remain.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?

Jul 2007
Hmm, decent episode.

The good:
- The direction is perfect. The cinematography is perfect. The music is perfect as expected from Production IG.
- While the story does not seem to be clear, the set up for it is intriguing enough.

The undecided:
- The MC is a complete idiot. I know it is usual to have a "straightforward guy" as MC, but it was outright second hand embarrassment through the whole episode to watch him. I hope for some sort of twist.

The Bad:
- Under-developed characters. Apart from "MR.Nippon Banzai" MC, all of the other characters except for the school's boss, look bland and samey. Introducing a shitload of characters at once usually takes a lot of writing chops and in this case seems to have been a mistake.
- Nationalistic propaganda. There are multiple scenes in the episode where, albeit subtly, the narrative is trying to whitewash Japanese actions during WW2. And lots of "badguy evil americans". I can only hope the whole "yay japan" subtext gets subverted hard to fit the otherwise very gray morality world, as there are signs towards that happening through episode.
- Sausage main characters. Not a single female character. Seriously is it so hard to add female characters?

Overall solid 7/10 so far.
Apr 5, 2016 11:25 AM

Mar 2016
I was kind of uncomfortable with this, since I the premise sounded like something that could turn out to be very pro-imperialistic Japan. However, that didn't turn out to be the case; as proven by the dialogue after the joker game/poker game.

I've never seen a premise like this before, I can't wait for the next episode. I want to see more of these eight monsters.
Apr 5, 2016 11:26 AM

Dec 2014
Damn this show was pretty damn good. So far the show I'm looking forward to the most this season. Loved the atmosphere and now I'm curious about the next episode. 5/5
I need sleep.
Apr 5, 2016 11:28 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing first episode!, one of the spy remind me of Luck Gandor from baccano.
I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 5, 2016 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
amazing!
i knew this would be good ever since i read the synopsis and saw the cover picture
definitely met my expectations
looking forward to next episode, can't wait to see what happens!!
Apr 5, 2016 11:32 AM

Mar 2014
An anime about WW2 huh?

I wonder how they're going to portray Japanese actions during WW2

Hopefully they won't try to whitewash anything
rsc-pl said:
Don't see what there is to complain about

In fact it's the best Engrish I've heard in a long while
Comic_SansApr 5, 2016 11:42 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 5, 2016 11:35 AM

Nov 2012
That was a pretty good episode, the best one so far.
Apr 5, 2016 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
Comic_Sans said:
An anime about WW2 huh?
Well, it uses it as a setting, but I don't expect it to be historically accurated at all.
After all,

It wasn't a bad episode, wasn't that good either. It had a lot of cool factor going on, and the character designs are quite ugly. We'll see how it advances.
Apr 5, 2016 11:43 AM

Dec 2014
Great start to the series. Really interesting.

The Joker Game was especially very intriguing, I'd love to hear more details on how they played it out and how each person was trying to win and control the game.

The Joker Game they played had similar vibes to the "Musical Chair" game they play in the 'Liar Game' manga series. The whole poker game is just a pretext to strategically controlling your surroundings.

Loved the ending part when the guys smirked out of confidence, Epic .

Looking forward to the next episodes, Show has real potential :D
Apr 5, 2016 11:45 AM

Jan 2015
Show has the potential....but idk...calling spies cowards???? Wtf he's thinkin'?? 6/10 for this episode...waiting for second ep...
KonteApr 5, 2016 11:55 AM
Apr 5, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2014
Seems very interesting so far, even if this was clearly just a set up for what is to come. Only complaint I have so far is that Takuma's attitude in relation to the spies is pretty irritating, although I'm not sure how relevant he'll actually be in future episodes; I'm hoping to see the focus shift to the eight spies more in future episodes.

I'm not sold on the OP yet, but I think I might grow on me. ED is pretty good though.
Apr 5, 2016 11:52 AM

Dec 2015
Really dig that Mafia/Joker setting. Didn't expected it be so good :3
Hope Production I.G could keep up this pace :P
Apr 5, 2016 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
The other seasonal anime should step aside; Joker Game holds the best start.

In love with the OP and ED. OST is magnificent. I was watching this episode with eyes wide open. That was so freaking good, I already want the 2nd episode!
removed-userApr 5, 2016 12:33 PM
Apr 5, 2016 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
Fai said:
The Bad:
- Under-developed characters. Apart from "MR.Nippon Banzai" MC, all of the other characters except for the school's boss, look bland and samey. Introducing a shitload of characters at once usually takes a lot of writing chops and in this case seems to have been a mistake.
- Nationalistic propaganda. There are multiple scenes in the episode where, albeit subtly, the narrative is trying to whitewash Japanese actions during WW2. And lots of "badguy evil americans". I can only hope the whole "yay japan" subtext gets subverted hard to fit the otherwise very gray morality world, as there are signs towards that happening through episode.
- Sausage main characters. Not a single female character. Seriously is it so hard to add female characters?

"under developed characters"

its the first episode, with this big of a cast what did you expect?
Apr 5, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
It's finally here, and it's good!

But why, just why do they feel the need to try their english in a show with such a serious tone?

First Terror in resonance and now this!

They could have just had him speak japanese, he was able to after all. Talk about ruining the mood or vibe of the show.

Other than that I really have nothing to complain about.
Apr 5, 2016 12:01 PM

Jun 2009
Meh. I thought I'd really like this, but I find it a bit boring aside from the ending. Still, I'll give it a couple more episodes.
Apr 5, 2016 12:01 PM

Nov 2015
First of all the OP visuals were just amazing, I'm in love with the art style used in the anime.
Good use of the settings and time, really captures it for me.
Feel bad for Kaminaga trying to do things by the rulebook. Looking forward to see more of Miyoshi and Yuuki!
Many said it gives the vibe of Bakanno! (on my ptw list) now I have to start that too!
Apr 5, 2016 12:02 PM

Feb 2015
i like the timeline/the setting. it was an interesting episode imo.
The animation was better than i had expected.
the OP song was decent/okay, i prefer the ED song more than the OP song.
it's gonna be a confusing show or more like a show which is hard to understand to me, but overall it was an interesting episode.
YizelTroApr 5, 2016 12:05 PM
Apr 5, 2016 12:04 PM

Jul 2007
Sourire said:
Fai said:
The Bad:

I expect to at least be able to tell them apart.
Apr 5, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2010
... ah, I had too big of expectations and now I am far from being satisfied. What's more the show ends on cliffhanger during it's introduction episode. Introduction episodes like this should show the short whole story to explain what this show really is about. Here however we just get... okay there is spy school that does things...

what things? What this show will even be about... will it be about 8 "monsters" plus the the old guy bulling the naive MC. If so then really meh.

Well this probably won't be it but after the first episode I should know what the series will be about rather than giving me cliffhanger just to try to force me to watch the next episode. I would watch regardless as the series has a good theme around it but here I am given that.

Meh, meh... and in this season 4th place so far with many series yet to start.
Apr 5, 2016 12:09 PM

Mar 2016
I'm definitely looking forward to this show, it has really fine animation and the 30's atmosphere is just great. Kinda remind me of Baccano, one of my favorite series.

The only bad point, i would say, is the main character. He's not charismatic, he looks really stupid at times and I didn't understand what he's doing in D Agency. Maybe that was made on purpose but he really annoys me and I hope that the story will not focus too much on him.
Apr 5, 2016 12:10 PM

Jul 2014
Wait, so they just marched all their "super spies" out in front of a guy they think is a spy so he can recognize them in the future?

Whatever, it isn't some idiot in magic school saving the world with their harem, two thumbs up.
Apr 5, 2016 12:11 PM
Jan 2015
The OP is good but man, that ED is spectacular! Production IG continue to impress us with they great stuff they come out with. The animation and music were on point.

I'm really glad we are finally getting a spy story that I can hopefully really sink my teeth into, this first episode was great and I really hope that this show can stay good!
Apr 5, 2016 12:12 PM

Aug 2013
Comic_Sans said:
An anime about WW2 huh?

I wonder how they're going to portray Japanese actions during WW2

Hopefully they won't try to whitewash anything
rsc-pl said:
Don't see what there is to complain about

In fact it's the best Engrish I've heard in a long while

Yeah, but muricans tends to complain every time when they hear English in anime :p
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 5, 2016 12:13 PM

Apr 2013
Fai said:
Sourire said:

I expect to at least be able to tell them apart.

I agree, they look like failed clones.
Apr 5, 2016 12:14 PM

Dec 2015
A really great start to a show I was really looking forward and loving the whole atmosphere, it really pulled me, and that cliffhanger got me excited for next week.
Loved the openings and the OST is great, really add to the tone of the show. The Joker game seems interesting, the whole aspect of that game will most likely fit into the actual plot of who is on your side and who is lying to you.

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

154 by canadianvice »»
Oct 28, 2022 4:17 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2016

178 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.