Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 2016 6:39 AM

Oct 2014
^They used the faster one (also from the first game), see my post above. It was also quite short, since the scene didn't allow for any longer use of the track.
Apr 2, 2016 6:40 AM
Mar 2015
Tokoya said:
I'm probably going to enjoy this regardless but I wanna know how it was from an adaptation point of view?

Hmmmmmm, its adapts things well from a structure stand point. Does everything as scripted. But, not at a execution.

Be it the sound or animation, I'm personally finding nothing to immerse myself into a world and story I've played through. Pacing is off a bit. Doesn't really matter because regardless I'm watching to gauge if this adaptation is any good, and this is only the first episode, but I'm kind of underwhelmed, mainly because I'm not too fond of the pacing or tone of this episode. That said, I can't wait to see if it'll do a turnabout, or the miracle never happen.
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I think, this doesn't work as an anime. I'm getting good laughs out of this though. But i couldn't take the whole thing serious. Hopefully this gets better in the second episode.

Nov 2008
The OST is hit or miss (I don't care for the ED and some remixed songs ended up too mellow for a trial, the OP is really good but is also too mellow for the series) but the rest seems ok, very over the top and enjoyable, quite faithful as well, just rushed a bit to fit a 2 cour format but that was expected

Jul 2009
Grey-Zone said:
^They used the faster one (also from the first game), see my post above. It was also quite short, since the scene didn't allow for any longer use of the track.
It must've been too remixed for me to even recognize it then. Ah well. xD
Apr 2, 2016 6:41 AM

Dec 2015
It was pleasant to see all those old GBA games elements reused for the anime, from some sound or music to panels and direction choices. I know there will be a sixth game soon and this series is like a promotion campaign to bring new peoples to the franchise by showing them the old scenari but it is a shame how it will prevent any desire to buy the actual old game (released on several platforms and pretty cheap on the 3DS e-shop even without the repeated sales).
On the other hand, all the characters looked "stuffed" when they were moving while their faces were far from pretty. I know the games use still artworks and I never really find the pictures style great but the anime doesn't look good. The finale might turn out ugly.
The ending was a lot better than the opening.

3/5

Do you think they will adapt the full trilogy over those 26episodes?

bluebear_tora said:
have case/week but a overarching story to it as I have no idea about the VN (as I'm new to anime).

There is one global background story who reveals itself through various elements of the different cases and end up being the base of the final case. (in the first game who's the one adapted here, it ties the backstories of the main characters)
If you liked what you saw (story- and ambiance-wise), you might be interested to try the game yourself (even on emulation) before the anime handles you the full story.
Rei_IIIApr 2, 2016 6:58 AM
Apr 2, 2016 6:43 AM

Jul 2015
@Talim

I remember getting frustrated af at that music later in the game when I couldn't get past some asshole witness testimony.

Still haven't played the latest in the series, maybe it's available for Android or online via Flash.
Apr 2, 2016 6:43 AM

Oct 2014
Talim said:
Grey-Zone said:

Both remixes played when Naruhodo/Wright made his case. Cross Examination - Allegro 2001 played when he pointed out the contradiction between the stated time of death and the time of death according to the autopsy report, while Objection 2001 played right after the OBJECTION! in the anime.
Apr 2, 2016 6:45 AM

Jan 2009
I can forgive the art if they make it a long-running show, otherwise it looks like no effort was put in it at all.
Apr 2, 2016 6:45 AM

Mar 2015
From what i have heard the production is a mess, 6 AD only for the first episode.

It's A1, no surprises
Apr 2, 2016 6:46 AM
Dec 2010
I was worried that it will be terrible, but it turned out to be really good! Far from perfect, but still very enjoyable.

Apr 2, 2016 6:47 AM

Jul 2009
Grey-Zone said:
Talim said:

Both remixes played when Naruhodo/Wright made his case. Cross Examination - Allegro 2001 played when he pointed out the contradiction between the stated time of death and the time of death according to the autopsy report, while Objection 2001 played right after the OBJECTION! in the anime.
Oh wow I totally didn't notice it. xD I'm just dumb. Thanks! :P
Apr 2, 2016 6:48 AM

Sep 2015
Talim said:
Well you have to realize this is the first case in the first Phoenix Wright game. It starts off with a very easy case to teach you the basics. They'll get much more intense from here on out, with much better characters. I highly recommend you give the second episode a watch, at least. c:

And that's not the problem here. The problem is that this is not a game, making a gameplay video just won't work. Why should we learn the basics of the game mechanics? Following this line of thought, we should study jurisprudence too? Of course not. I'll give a chance at least for the next two episodes, but without any expectations.
Apr 2, 2016 6:50 AM

Jul 2009
xizor said:
I was worried that it will be terrible, but it turned out to be really good! Far from perfect, but still very enjoyable.

God I really hope soooo. I need Dahlia Hawthorne in this so bad. And the fab Tres Bien chef.

TalimApr 2, 2016 6:54 AM
Apr 2, 2016 6:51 AM

Aug 2013
xizor said:

Probably not, I think they will do the first two games. But yes, it was a nice addition. :)
Apr 2, 2016 6:52 AM

Jun 2014
The animation might not be great, but the adaptation is good. I'd rather have a good adaptation than amazing animation. Sure, it's ideal to have both, but whatever...
:3
Apr 2, 2016 6:53 AM

Apr 2008
I guess this show took rule #16 to heart.
Rule #16: If you fail in epic proportions, it might just become a winning failure.

It was so bad it was actually funny. But so was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFldBVWFgWo
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Apr 2, 2016 6:53 AM

Jan 2013
Madara22 said:
Not impressed at all, it was a case even a novist could solve and they were all impressed?? ... Must have been really dumb huh..

well this is a game adaptation so ofc the 1st level is gonna be easy :P
Apr 2, 2016 6:55 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The animations aren't bad, but by A-1 standards... yeah. I'm planning on starting the games this week or next. Kaji Yuki's not suitable seiyuu for Naruhodou Ryuuichi, even if he's a good seiyuu.

3/5
Apr 2, 2016 6:57 AM

Jul 2009
BlueBalls said:
@Talim

I remember getting frustrated af at that music later in the game when I couldn't get past some asshole witness testimony.

Still haven't played the latest in the series, maybe it's available for Android or online via Flash.
Dual Destinies? It's really good, and it has more cases than any of the other games (if you count the DLC case, which it fantastic and I would highly recommend tbh).
Apr 2, 2016 6:57 AM

Jan 2015
juicykitten95 said:
Madara22 said:
Not impressed at all, it was a case even a novist could solve and they were all impressed?? ... Must have been really dumb huh..

Oh I didn't know that, I do know that there are manga series about this show. I thought the source was going to be the manga.
Apr 2, 2016 6:59 AM

Jan 2013
why are people surprised about the low budget ? havent you seen the trailer ?

also ofc even a 7 year old could have figured who the culprit was, this is a GAME adaptation after all

im def hyping the last trail of the first game,the story was really good
Apr 2, 2016 7:01 AM

Jan 2013
Madara22 said:
juicykitten95 said:

Oh I didn't know that, I do know that there are manga series about this show. I thought the source was going to be the manga.

y its based on a manga that is based on a game
Apr 2, 2016 7:01 AM

Dec 2014
Despite the crappy animation, I did actually enjoy the episode. Larry (who is now Yahari) was actually pretty funny to me this episode. The adaption is good and I'm not surprised the art is basic because this is A-1 Pictures.
Apr 2, 2016 7:02 AM
Mar 2016
Heldengeist said:
And that's not the problem here. The problem is that this is not a game, making a gameplay video just won't work. Why should we learn the basics of the game mechanics? Following this line of thought, we should study jurisprudence too? Of course not. I'll give a chance at least for the next two episodes, but without any expectations.

You're right that it's not a game, but it's an adaption of a game. They obviously didn't explain the game mechanics in the episode. They did in the game but there's no reason to adapt this part. He just wanted to say that the developers of the game made the first case very easy to solve, so that the players could get used to the game mechanics. Therefore, the first case isn't really interesting. It starts to get interesting later on, when you don't know the culprit. That doesn't mean that this case isn't important. It's very important as a build-up for the second case and therefore it has to be adapted.

I just hope that they won't show the culprit in the second case like they did in the game. That's the only thing they could do better in the anime IMO.
Apr 2, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2015
juicykitten95 said:
why are people surprised about the low budget ? havent you seen the trailer ?

also ofc even a 7 year old could have figured who the culprit was, this is a GAME adaptation after all

im def hyping the last trail of the first game,the story was really good

The fact that they literally showed the culprit killing the victim right in the beginning means anyone capable of eyesight and basic facial recognition could have figured out who did it.

Like you said it's not a hard case but I don't kow why they would kill what little suspense there is like that.
Apr 2, 2016 7:05 AM

Oct 2014
GoldenDevilGamer said:
The animations aren't bad, but by A-1 standards... yeah. I'm planning on starting the games this week or next. Kaji Yuki's not suitable seiyuu for Naruhodou Ryuuichi, even if he's a good seiyuu.

3/5

Why the hate for Yuki Kaji? I mean he often takes the role of a "clumsy, but serious male character" (see Sonic in OPM and Eren in AoT) and I think that description quite fits Naruhodo/Wright.
Grey-ZoneApr 2, 2016 7:09 AM
Apr 2, 2016 7:07 AM

Jan 2015
juicykitten95 said:
Madara22 said:

I just read the 1st chapter of the manga and it's a lot different from the 1st episode. The suspect is the same and all, the prosecutor and the judge too. It's a lot better why did they change it, maybe because they wanted modern viewers to watch it, perhaps?
Apr 2, 2016 7:09 AM

Oct 2014
Madara22 said:
juicykitten95 said:

I just read the 1st chapter of the manga and it's a lot different from the 1st episode. The suspect is the same and all, the prosecutor and the judge too. It's a lot better why did they change it, maybe because they wanted modern viewers to watch it, perhaps?

It's a direct adaption of the game. Making an "adaption of an adpation" would only make everything worse.
Apr 2, 2016 7:11 AM

Jan 2016
I find it funny how the video is also 25 minutes almost the length of anime episode. And I enjoyed this a lot more than the anime episode XD
Apr 2, 2016 7:12 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Grey-Zone said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

3/5

Why the hate for you Yuki Kaji? I mean he often takes the role of a "clumsy, but serious male character" (see Sonic in OPM and Eren in AoT) and I think that description quite fits Naruhodo/Wright.
I don't hate him (I actually love him as a seiyuu), but a part of me feels like they could have got someone more suitable for the role (maybe a slightly darker voice, idk).

Jul 2010
It's not great, but it's not THAT bad either. As an avid fan of the AA series, I actually enjoyed it. Even if both, the animation and voice acting suck, I find this watchable. I was expecting something a little bit more like the cutscenes from the AA5 and AA6 games though. Boo :(

As for the opening, it was so weird and awkward watching 3 grown men running like that! Whyyyy, lol. Everything was so cringeworthy. The ending was okay.

"You don't only belong to yourself, you know? There isn't anything in this world that belongs only to yourself."

Jan 2015
Grey-Zone said:
Madara22 said:

It's a direct adaption of the game. Making an "adaption of an adpation" would only make everything worse.

Yeah that it would, it does say that it's an adaptation from a visual novel.
Apr 2, 2016 7:14 AM
Jan 2016
As a huge AA fan who played all the games + spinoffs, I had low expectations for the anime. There is just no way to build the tension and mystery in one episode the same way they could n a long turnabout game chapter. I hope that the mystery and tension increases along the series, episode 1 felt like a warmup.

There is also something off with the animation, but I'm just happy Feenie got an anime :D
Apr 2, 2016 7:14 AM

Mar 2013
Animation was poor and although Yuuki Kaji sounds better then I thought, he is still not nearly as good as Takayuki Kondou (once, again, I'm ranting about stupid recast). The rest of the voice actors were fine.
As for pacing, it was alright, I guess. Will keep watching it so far.
Apr 2, 2016 7:18 AM

Jan 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
I don't hate him (I actually love him as a seiyuu), but a part of me feels like they could have got someone more suitable for the role (maybe a slightly darker voice, idk).
Agreed.

Madara22 said:
Manga isn't an adaptation of the game. It has cases which were not a part of the game.
Apr 2, 2016 7:19 AM
Sep 2014
¿What's the symbolism behind the sunflowers in the opening and ending?
Apr 2, 2016 7:20 AM

Nov 2013
It was alright. Would have rathered Bones, but as a lover of AA, I'm willing to give it a chance.

While I do know all the Japanese names, I would have rathered Crunchyroll take the effort to localize the names in their subs though.
Apr 2, 2016 7:20 AM

Feb 2016
Rei366 said:

Do you think they will adapt the full trilogy over those 26episodes?

They'll adapt from the first episode to Justice for All.
French viewer. Sorry for my bad english :) !
Apr 2, 2016 7:21 AM

Aug 2013
boring op
boring ed
boring case

did not like the animation or chara design

3/10
Apr 2, 2016 7:22 AM

Jan 2015
aasgo123 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Agreed.

Madara22 said:
Manga isn't an adaptation of the game. It has cases which were not a part of the game.

Got it, you are the 3rd person to tell me this.
Apr 2, 2016 7:23 AM

Jan 2015
Madara22 said:
Oh, sorry about that.
Apr 2, 2016 7:24 AM

Jan 2015
aasgo123 said:
Madara22 said:
Oh, sorry about that.

Nah it's alright, sorry for how I said it, it might have sound rude.
Apr 2, 2016 7:28 AM

Feb 2016
Btw, why Capcom chooses A-1 picture to do the adaptation instead of P.A Works (who does the trailer for PLvsAA) or Bones (who does the cut-scene of Dual Destinies and PLvsAA) ?
French viewer. Sorry for my bad english :) !
Apr 2, 2016 7:33 AM

Mar 2013
Grey-Zone said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

3/5

Why the hate for Yuki Kaji? I mean he often takes the role of a "clumsy, but serious male character" (see Sonic in OPM and Eren in AoT) and I think that description quite fits Naruhodo/Wright.

Well, he is good voice actor, but I don't think he fits for the role. Especially since there's already absolutely perfect cast. Which is still used in the games, including upcoming Ace Attorney 6.
AntonKutovoiApr 2, 2016 7:37 AM
Apr 2, 2016 7:35 AM

Jul 2014
It's in the little kid's timeslot, so I wasn't expecting much at all, but this makes cheesy shows like CSI and Law and Order seem like brilliant works of art. He should put on a pair of sunglasses after the case and give a lame pun.
SokahApr 2, 2016 7:51 AM
Apr 2, 2016 7:36 AM

May 2008
I'm not sure on Yuki Kaji as the role of Phoenix.

The whole thing felt like it had a really low budget and I was disappointed.

I don't like the OP or the ED. It doesn't feel right to me.

The main points of the case were left in but as others have said, the pacing was weird.

Hoping the next few episodes are better.
Apr 2, 2016 7:42 AM

Sep 2014
I liked the first episode. The art style was kinda average to me, not as great of the game art but I understand that too much detailed art would be hard to animate...
However the voice acting was good and I'm glad that crunchyroll decides to use the english name in the subtitles instead of the japaneses names (I know that the japanese names are the original but I recognize them by the english name).
Apr 2, 2016 7:46 AM

Jan 2014
I'm surprised no one said a thing about this, it was a nice nod to the series
Apr 2, 2016 7:49 AM
Apr 2015
juicykitten95 said:
Madara22 said:

Nah, the manga and the anime are both based on the game but the manga is more a spinoff, whereas the anime is to be a direct adaptation of the game plot.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Mia Fey

FiddlePie - Feb 22

4 by FiddlePie »»
Feb 23, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

56 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2016

40 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 11, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2016

48 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

44 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 9, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.