Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2010 10:08 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Woah, impressive one shot. Very interesting to see a little kid dealing with the Death Note. Also, the Death Eraser was a surprise, since there is not such a thing in the manga/anime... I wouldn't use it, neither.
Death Note is always so amazing, it gives me the shivers (except for that horrid Near-centered one shot).

you're so cute when you're frustrated, dear
Jan 15, 2010 6:43 PM
Jan 2010
This was pretty much Death Note without a genius villain or detective. This was the oneshot that resulted in the beginning of the cult of Death Note.

Taro Kagami happens to be my favorite character in the series, which is quite rare. He has a pure heart, common sense, and one of the NORMAL characters. His later appearance looks a lot like Mikami no?

The Death Eraser does go against some of the rules of the Death Note; yes I actually read all of them. Fandom calls for a life note... I could see this tying in with the main series some how.
Jan 19, 2010 12:57 PM

Jun 2008
Iris-Angel said:
His later appearance looks a lot like Mikami no?
Yeah, really hot.

you're so cute when you're frustrated, dear
Apr 11, 2010 1:02 PM

Dec 2009
The death eraser was kinda weird , i mean they died then they came back to life then they died then they came back to life again XD ...
Jun 25, 2010 6:57 AM
Jan 2008
Yeah, I think I know why the Eraser wasn't used... It was a plot hole, you could say. Didn't fit in.
Think what will happen if a person has already been cremated or graved and then some genius gets the idea that hey, I shouldn't have killed them?!
And what if the cause of death isn't "peaceful death" or "heart attack" or even "a car accident"? What if it's "drowns" or "burns in fire", and the name is erased while they are still in fire or underwater? They'll die again right away!

But, well, I guess they had to make it more simple 'cause I don't think you could get serialized with a one-shot that lacks the feel of a plot and ends miserably... Haha.

Am I allowed to post without an avatar?
Jun 25, 2010 6:59 AM

Mar 2009
The Death Eraser was pretty interesting.
May 6, 2013 10:22 AM
Jan 2013
It's obviously a very rough summation of what became the big success, it was fine as an alternate universe for the manga.
Dec 13, 2016 2:35 AM

Jul 2012
The eraser was interesting, but I'm glad they left it out. And the rules were a bit sloppy(?), and it had a little too much specifics.

This was a nice read though, just to see what the prototype Death Note was like šŸ˜Š
Mar 5, 2018 4:15 PM

Oct 2012
its interesting too see the original idea behind Death Note, where everything began

you can see how they took the best parts of this and turned into an amazing psychological manga, but at the same time i dont think this is worse than the final version, i gave it the same note since i take it as a different take on the same original idea.
Aug 27, 2018 10:28 PM

Dec 2015
I'm honestly glad they got rid of the eraser in the main series.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 27, 2018 9:01 AM
Apr 2018
This one shot is better than the actual series in my opinion. The reason for that is because this is a well written and straightforward story that leaves no room for complaint while the full story did not have these elements and the way the situation began was far more realistic to what would probably happen in this situation. While the Mystery element is gone the Psychological elements are stronger than the final draft.
Sep 13, 2022 5:28 PM

Aug 2019
It was horrible. I'm so glad that the author had the sense to change the main character in the actual Death Note manga as well as add more edge to the plot, because the Teru Mikami lookalike kid was a bland character and he would've made an awful protagonist. The Death Eraser bit was so contrived and stupid.

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation

Ayako_Rose - Apr 22, 2022

1 by Seinentard »»
Sep 21, 2022 5:43 AM

Poll: » Death Note 13: How to Read - Shinsou Chapter 2 Discussion

bloodstored - Jul 29, 2022

0 by bloodstored »»
Jul 29, 2022 5:42 AM

» How different would it be... (Major Spoiler if you haven't read Vol. 13 yet)

alugirl613 - Feb 19, 2008

14 by RadiGen »»
Aug 28, 2011 5:13 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.