Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 13, 2016 7:30 AM

May 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
many dialogue here. and there are really heavy topic. :swt:

well, the premise, again is great. Many sci-fi literature that depict and speculated how the future world will work, like cyber matrix, alien invansion, or something.

In harmony, we see humans fetishes with medicine and health, that I wonder is good thing. But, in same side too, that make some side effect for psychological too.
Your body is not your body anymore. You don't allow to smoke, or drink or drink coffe again. Well, that world is boring absolutely. It make sense why Miach or Tuan Kirie want to suicide.

and the ending. not your typical ending where the great plan of villain is fail.

--
Mar 22, 2016 12:48 AM
May 2013
i don't get the ending, is miach's plan successed? then why
Mar 22, 2016 3:47 AM

May 2013
Dicky1 said:
i don't get the ending, is miach's plan successed? then why

Tuan don't care about humanity at all, she just don't want Miach become doll without soul, so she killed her to preserved Miach's image.
Mar 22, 2016 6:28 AM
May 2013
alyya said:

Tuan don't care about humanity at all, she just don't want Miach become doll without soul, so she killed her to preserved Miach's image.

omg so that's it :D
at first i thought it will be generic like clone of guilty crown
but the story is so confuse me with many things unexplained or missing my view
like what is past dissaster or why tuan not connected like other

try find out other prequel or spin off this movie on mal but seems that's it
Mar 22, 2016 8:15 AM

May 2013
Dicky1 said:
alyya said:

if you confused, I'm recommend to read the book. It's more comfortable reading than watching the story like this.

past disaster? There is no past disaster like WWIII or nuclear by uncontrolled AI. Medical world just significantly evolve and make people more healthy. For example, you already see this type of person who always check their heartbeat or their calory every hour and upload that on database.
megmicaMar 22, 2016 8:58 AM
Mar 23, 2016 8:39 AM
May 2013
alyya said:
Dicky1 said:

if you confused, I'm recommend to read the book. It's more comfortable reading than watching the story like this.

past disaster? There is no past disaster like WWIII or nuclear by uncontrolled AI. Medical world just significantly evolve and make people more healthy. For example, you already see this type of person who always check their heartbeat or their calory every hour and upload that on database.

so no past dissaster?
i remember professor sae (her farher's mentor) mentioned about big dissaster half century ago that killed 10 milion people
might mistranslation though
Mar 23, 2016 8:17 PM

Aug 2015
Harmony is supposed to be a loose sequel to Genocidal Organ.
Mar 24, 2016 9:57 AM

Jun 2013
TheKillerAngel said:

really ????
like prequel ????
Mar 24, 2016 10:20 AM

May 2013
Dicky1 said:
alyya said:

so no past dissaster?
i remember professor sae (her farher's mentor) mentioned about big dissaster half century ago that killed 10 milion people
or maybe I was wrong.

Hidayat246 said:
TheKillerAngel said:

really ????
like prequel ????

there is no direct connection between GO and harmony, though.
Mar 24, 2016 6:16 PM

Aug 2015
alyya said:
Dicky1 said:

so no past dissaster?
or maybe I was wrong.

Hidayat246 said:

really ????
like prequel ????

There isn't, but the setting (temporally speaking) is the same.
Apr 25, 2016 7:42 AM

Sep 2010
Damn, that was quite a story. I went into this movie basically only because I saw the picture of Tuan, without having an idea of what it will be about.

Here however there is such deep story that made me think... I am glad that I was born in this era as some 'f**k up mind control' system like this will be implemented in society.

The world in which everyone is happy and they will look towards you and smile... that scene at the airport really creep me out.

I like how the story developed and the fact that Tuan did slay Miach at the end. From the very start, I got "Griffith Vibes" from Miach and well, even though it's rare, any time a character gives me Griffith Vibes I want to see them dead.

I didn't like the motive, for the killing though but oh well, the fact that Tuan finally showed her own will in that was good of itself.

Now, the whole movie was really good but I am still somehow disappointed with an ending. Not the killing part. The meeting between the Tuan and Miach was really greatly done and I enjoyed this scene a lot... my problem is rather, that after that there is nothing else other than Harmony project activating.

The theme of the harmony project was build up for the whole movie and well... if it already activated itself I really wanted to see how the world would look like afterwards and whatever if Tuan didn't perhaps "destroy" humanity by her selfishness. I don't mind that she didn't want to play the role of the hero, rather respect for saying, "I don't care about the world" but I wanted to see that conclusion.

And in all though the movie was quite good and it definitely fulfilled my purpose for watching it... "watching an anime with heroine with long red hair" who was even quite awesome at the same time.
Apr 25, 2016 12:51 PM

Jun 2014
What did I just witness? The whole concept of having a utopian lifestyle just shattered in a matter of moments creating a mass frenzy which needs no explaining from me.

Tuan as an individual couldn't care less about what happened to others which is seen from the shocking reaction she gave from Cian's death. I mean there was no hinting that she mourned over her death which gives me the impression that she is more 'soulless' than Miach. The revelations at the end clarified things stating that she was struggling with life after the loss of her friend due to the pills incident. The accident could have been explored more but the aftermath was only needed to summarise events.

Honestly the whole thing with people having their bodies modified to have the watchmes are basically trackers and mind control receiving devices. It was kind of predictable that the whole population was going to rampage considering they are exact clones on a fundamental level. There is no individualism to distinguish each other which makes for some interesting commentary about society in general.

Miach who grew up in difficult surroundings and had to put up with a Guts as a child was apparently conscience-less, which made it kind of difficult to grasp her motives initially especially with all the flashbacks regarding her dialogue such as the Chinese emperors destroying the evidence! The fact she was awakened with some sort of envy towards society is kind of understandle, as being forced into a society bound by compassion may not sit with many people but with her case just extreme...

The ending with the back up plan of the Harmony project seemed to initiate but alas no answers after that which sucks as an epilogue would make it better.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Apr 25, 2016 3:48 PM

May 2013
TheKillerAngel said:
alyya said:
or maybe I was wrong.

There isn't, but the setting (temporally speaking) is the same.

have watching with sub. Yeah, I was wrong. There already crisis that named the Maelstrom.
So, the Maelstrom will happened on Genocidal Organ? That's considerably spoiler :D
Apr 25, 2016 5:01 PM

Mar 2014
This was... ok, I guess, dragged a lot and then jumped all over the place, meh. Didn't live up to expectations.
Apr 25, 2016 6:05 PM
Apr 2015
eso18 said:
The world in which everyone is happy and they will look towards you and smile... that scene at the airport really creep me out.

I thought they did that because of her well respected position. That scene didn't really creep me out. I found the sunflowers that moved unnaturally at the start way creepier.

eso18 said:

I like how the story developed and the fact that Tuan did slay Miach at the end. From the very start, I got "Griffith Vibes" from Miach and well, even though it's rare, any time a character gives me Griffith Vibes I want to see them dead.
I didn't like the motive, for the killing though but oh well, the fact that Tuan finally showed her own will in that was good of itself.

The motive is love. Not wanting to see the person you love turn into an empty shell to be exact. Tuan was also quit selfish in that aspect because she didn't follow Miach's wish. She just wanted to keep her ideal Miach. It's like killing your 'god' rather than accepting that they could change into something less.

eso18 said:

Now, the whole movie was really good but I am still somehow disappointed with an ending. Not the killing part. The meeting between the Tuan and Miach was really greatly done and I enjoyed this scene a lot... my problem is rather, that after that there is nothing else other than Harmony project activating.

The ending wasn't done well in my opinion either. They started the film with showing you the servers that WatchMe runs on and ended it with a programmer activating Harmony and playing that damn song xD The rest was a comment inserted into the program as a list.

eso18 said:

The theme of the harmony project was build up for the whole movie and well... if it already activated itself I really wanted to see how the world would look like afterwards and whatever if Tuan didn't perhaps "destroy" humanity by her selfishness.

Tuan didn't destroy humanity. Her killing or not killing wouldn't have change the boards decision to activate Harmony. Try thinking about it: If Miach survived what would have been different? Nothing. I don't even think that they waited for that since Tuan was gone a long time for such a crisis. They just reacted to the chaos.
The whole idea the movie had about ending all of humanity is not even true. As seen in the film there are a lot of people without connection to the servers (desert people, people outside the cities run by the health organization). Since the Chechenya(?) people didn't die out they could probably also add a timer for switching back to the other program (Fluxx) after all the people who knew about the incident died.

All in all I liked the film. I found the cities a little bit weird color-wise but the rest of the art was good (except that one moment on the plane where Tuan is seen from a bit farther away and suddenly looks like cgi).
I wonder why Tuan didn't shoot herself after she killed Miach. It wouldn't really change anything if loss of consciousness equals death for her but it's not like it would have been a big hassle.
Besides Cian the characters weren't bad but why did they have to foreshadow that Interpol guy -.-

edit: Oh, i forgot. I found the subtitle the society killed with "compassion" odd.
cO_zeroApr 25, 2016 6:10 PM
Apr 25, 2016 6:44 PM

May 2013
cO_zero said:

All in all I liked the film. I found the cities a little bit weird color-wise but the rest of the art was good (except that one moment on the plane where Tuan is seen from a bit farther away and suddenly looks like cgi).
I wonder why Tuan didn't shoot herself after she killed Miach. It wouldn't really change anything if loss of consciousness equals death for her but it's not like it would have been a big hassle.
Besides Cian the characters weren't bad but why did they have to foreshadow that Interpol guy -.-

edit: Oh, i forgot. I found the subtitle the society killed with "compassion" odd.

no, everyone on airport smile to Tuan not cause her position, but because that their ethic/unwritten rule to nice to everyone. for ex: Tuan's mother cried cause Miach died even though they never met, the mother who choose suicide cause don't want kill anyone.

why the color city like that? in book explain it citizen paint their house with bland color cause their are one unit, so nothing stood out.
here weren’t any laws against painting a building something more exciting, and yet here they were, an endless line of houses, all cast in bland, nondescript shades. None of them stood out against the others. Nothing to disturb the eye, and therefore nothing to disturb the heart

I'm more prefere 'kindness' than 'compassion'. Translation book also use that word.
“The exact opposite of here. Over there guns kill people.
Here, kindness kills them. It’s all the same.”

fyi, in book emotion-in-text markup coding more using than anime cause this already memory from Tuan who already became one with Harmony.
Apr 26, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2011
For the majority, I had to rewatch some scenes multiple times in particular the conversation between Tuan and Miach. The utopia style of the storytelling combined with the themes of humanity, love, etc made this movie compelling.

I find the first half of the movie to be rather peculiar though, took me awhile to get used to it. 2 hours also seemed a bit long imo for the overall storytelling. I have mixed thoughts on the ending. I kinda like it but at the same time, it was a bit predictable with everything that build up from the very beginning between Tuan/Miach.

Good animation and music. I especially liked the soundtrack from the aftermath of the final few minutes.
Apr 27, 2016 6:16 AM

Feb 2015
welp. i tried to watch it out of curiosity and wow, didn't expect all of that.
the story was really really complicated, well most of the part, it was because they were talking about human's will, consciousness and stuff like that. more like 2deep4me, but i can understand it. and to me the ending was not satisfiying enough because still in the end, those insane people can still control people's will and i really really dislike that.

6/10 for this show because i really dislike the concept that goverment were controling all of their citizen, the people were trying to be perfect and were trying to hold the peace and erased the evil. my thought : "that's not how human supposed to live". i can't even see all of them as a human anymore.

and i thought the ending would be something like all of those utopia bullshit will be done, will be destryoed, but instead it went up into another level and i really hate that. i would like the concept of the story IF they made a different ending.

the story about Miach's past, when she was telling her past, that was really disturbing......damn i don't even want to imagine it.

i don't know what they were trying to said from this anime but in my opinion, human can't become like that. even if human can reach that level, they aren't a human anymore to me. a way to sacrifice one's freedom to acive peace and perfect world, i really hate that tbh. that is completely wrong imo. and that is the main reason why i give this show 6/10.....OR more specifically 6.5 (0.5 for the ending song; Egoist xD xD xD didn't see that coming at all. i really like that song. i wonder if someone upload it on youtube xD)
YizelTroApr 27, 2016 9:15 AM
Apr 27, 2016 7:13 AM

Jan 2014
Wow, reminds me of Ghost In The Shell: The Laughing Man.
This certainly requires a re-watch for me to understand everything. Story was deep and impressive, might read the book some time.
Apr 27, 2016 7:54 AM

Mar 2014
alyya said:
ex: Tuan's mother cried cause Miach died even though they never met
This was so dumb, it's a perfectly normal reaction, it's like, is this how you're trying to prove that the world is weird? Because someone is crying over someone else's death? At first I thought it was something like "Tuan knows her mother is being "manipulated" so she thinks this reaction isn't normal and that's it's fabricated" but as I watched the rest I kinda ruled that out and went with "silly writing" instead.
Apr 27, 2016 9:15 AM

May 2013
Paulo27 said:
alyya said:
This was so dumb, it's a perfectly normal reaction, it's like, is this how you're trying to prove that the world is weird? Because someone is crying over someone else's death? At first I thought it was something like "Tuan knows her mother is being "manipulated" so she thinks this reaction isn't normal and that's it's fabricated" but as I watched the rest I kinda ruled that out and went with "silly writing" instead.

no, it's not. for stranger's death, the normal response maybe sad. but Tuan's mother just crying like it her fault that Miach died. It pretty abnormal, I think.
Apr 27, 2016 9:45 AM

Mar 2014
alyya said:
Paulo27 said:

no, it's not. for stranger's death, the normal response maybe sad. but Tuan's mother just crying like it her fault that Miach died. It pretty abnormal, I think.
Her daughter's friend just committed suicide and her daughter almost died too, what's there not to cry about? She doesn't even need to be crying over the girl, just that her daughter lost a good friend, just out of compassion for her daughter and overall situation. It's like crying over a sad story you read on the internet or even a book, you don't know these people, you're not gaining anything from crying nor are they, but you still might, it's perfectly normal human response, hell, not even necessarily human-exclusive.
Apr 27, 2016 3:56 PM

Aug 2013
Paulo27 said:
alyya said:

Her daughter's friend just committed suicide and her daughter almost died too, what's there not to cry about? She doesn't even need to be crying over the girl, just that her daughter lost a good friend, just out of compassion for her daughter and overall situation. It's like crying over a sad story you read on the internet or even a book, you don't know these people, you're not gaining anything from crying nor are they, but you still might, it's perfectly normal human response, hell, not even necessarily human-exclusive.

exactly. compassion isn't rare. they should have used something uncommon as an example for false emotions.
Apr 27, 2016 5:44 PM
Apr 2015
alyya said:

no, everyone on airport smile to Tuan not cause her position, but because that their ethic/unwritten rule to nice to everyone. for ex: Tuan's mother cried cause Miach died even though they never met, the mother who choose suicide cause don't want kill anyone.

oh, maybe it's both. they stopped smiling on the train later but maybe that was just because they weren't directly looking at someone.

alyya said:

why the color city like that? in book explain it citizen paint their house with bland color cause their are one unit, so nothing stood out.
here weren’t any laws against painting a building something more exciting, and yet here they were, an endless line of houses, all cast in bland, nondescript shades. None of them stood out against the others. Nothing to disturb the eye, and therefore nothing to disturb the heart

that makes way more sense than the movie depicting every building the same way. even if you use the same color when it's watered down it won't be the same shade anymore or later from the sun and erosion it would change.

alyya said:

I'm more prefere 'kindness' than 'compassion'. Translation book also use that word.
“The exact opposite of here. Over there guns kill people.
Here, kindness kills them. It’s all the same.”

wouldn't "benevolence" make sense too? it has both the "be kind to each other" and the "take care of each other" aspect.

alyya said:

fyi, in book emotion-in-text markup coding more using than anime cause this already memory from Tuan who already became one with Harmony.

if she's already part of harmony how can she write something?

alyya said:

if that's how it is in the book than the movie portrayed that in an extremely stupid way. we only know that Tuan's mother is crying about Miach from Tuan. they should have made it more clear from her mother's reaction otherwise it just seems like a teenager thinking "she doesn't even care about me".
Apr 27, 2016 9:06 PM
Jan 2016
OK the white towers. What are they? I know they are the people somehow. Backup data?
Who was the lady at the end?
Apr 27, 2016 11:52 PM

Jul 2015
I can't really say I loved it, but I think it's ok. I think it's a great concept that probably doesn't really translate well in this medium. Idk but there were parts where I had to keep rewinding just to keep up with what was going on. And I thought I knew dystopian stories well lol. I've read a couple and this one headed towards brave new world towards the end.
Apr 28, 2016 1:42 AM

Nov 2013
Eh.
Tragedy ending?
It's been a while, Japan.
Apr 28, 2016 4:04 AM
Feb 2013
Meh. Disliked the ending. I thought Tuan was a cool, calm headed character until the ending. In the end I think she became the selfish, barbaric human that Miach hated. Miach was a broken girl who didn't want to remember the pain of this world. And she wanted other people to not feel this pain too. She wanted to escape. Someone who was raped countless times by the enemy, wouldn't you want to forget that feeling? She hasn't obviously forgotten it which made her despise the world. Japan also became sickening to her because she wasn't used to that kind of treatment. And I think it wasn't more of that they were 'too kind' to each other. But rather, that the kindness was more or less fake. It wasn't genuine. It was like you HAVE to be kind. People didn't have a choice and that's what she disliked.

In the end. She also didn't have a choice cuz the one comrade she had pretty much betrayed her lol
If I was Tuan I woulda let her lived. At least in the end, she would've gotten her one last wish.
Apr 28, 2016 5:30 AM

Jul 2009
imo. I don't know how to response to this movie. I think it was an OK but never expect it to be this deep.

signature set credited to Bunnyama

「No human has ever been whole. 」
Apr 28, 2016 10:27 AM

Aug 2014
Damn, Azura's childhood is fucked.

Liked it a lot until the ending. Felt like just another pale imitation of dystopian classics. Somewhat interested in the novel now.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 28, 2016 3:26 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Overall okay movie. First half felt pretty average, but the second half was somewhat enjoyable, plus the ending was pretty good too (even if it's a tad bit predictable).

3/5
Apr 28, 2016 9:29 PM
Apr 2016
It was pretty predictable, but it interesting to watch. The animation was goddamn gorgeous friggin eyecandy though.
Also is it just me or did watching it feel like witnessing a runthrough of Plague Inc?
Apr 30, 2016 12:15 AM

Jan 2014
Wow. Until Genocidal Organ is released I have to say this is the top movie out of the 3 Project Itoh so far.

As usual gorgeous character design by redjuice, a much better executed story albeit a little predictable considering it's setting. Characters are fleshed out overall, love the calm and collected Tuan even though its clear as day she's obsessed with Miach.

This show definitely can go very deep if analysed (i.e. pink being the major color for the advanced part of society). Soundtrack is probably the weak point but it's not even average by comparison.

Fantastic ending too. In the greater good of a sentient evolving species, going Harmony is the only way to achieve endless happiness. A so called "False" Utopia. Though I should've predicted it with how the movie opens with "The story of failure".

The only thing I'm confused would be the lady at the end. She looks like Cian but that can't be her.... can it? I guess it's time to read the book too... or maybe re-watch it all over again.

And of course EGOIST strikes again. How ryo can come up with these compositions never cease to amaze me.

9/10
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
May 2, 2016 11:20 AM

Aug 2015
I strongly encourage reading the book and watching a proper translation. The story tackles some very heavy ideas which I think were not conveyed well in some subtitles, based on the posts in this thread.

For the curious, Genocidal Organ takes place over 50 years before the events of Harmony. It is not required reading to understand the story, but it provides historical context and establishes the groundwork for the philosophical themes explored in Harmony.
May 3, 2016 4:52 AM

Nov 2013
Not impressed.
Awkward CGI, pseudo philosophical mumbling and typical anti-russian propoganda ruined this movie for me.
May 3, 2016 8:17 AM

May 2014
TheKillerAngel said:
I strongly encourage reading the book and watching a proper translation. The story tackles some very heavy ideas which I think were not conveyed well in some subtitles, based on the posts in this thread.

For the curious, Genocidal Organ takes place over 50 years before the events of Harmony. It is not required reading to understand the story, but it provides historical context and establishes the groundwork for the philosophical themes explored in Harmony.

This, the current translation (assuming you watched the only Eng fansub on Nyaa, which was uploaded to other stream sites) is actually a double translation from a Chinese fansub. There may be lost meaning or changed interpretations.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
May 3, 2016 2:47 PM

Apr 2014
Some seriously spooky stuff here, gonna have nightmares about pink architecture for weeks now... I thought the ending was great personally, since it felt like the quintessential dystopian conclusion, with an extra cup of sadness. I guess for the people who didn't like it, this probably isn't a good genre to watch hahaha

CommanderAmarao said:
OK the white towers. What are they? I know they are the people somehow. Backup data?

Just speculation, but they look a lot like the chairs that the committee members sat on, so maybe their memories or stories were preserved. The girl at the end is probably some random student (she had the same uniform as Tuan Cian and Miach), likely meant to show that despite the Harmony system's execution, the next generation will be exposed to the same ideas. Who knows, didn't read the book! Hopefully someone who has can further elaborate, if the book does provide more context.
May 8, 2016 1:26 AM
Aug 2014
Enjoyed the movie a lot. Miach's appearance and actions really matched this otherworldly being that stands out from their society.

Although the endings were different, it had quite a few similarities with psycho pass: supposed utopia governed by some new world system, citizens become desensitized to certain emotions, antagonist is extremely intelligent and psychologically different, antagonist uses loopholes in the new world system to turn people against each other while actually trying to achieve some other ultimate goal.

Probably the only thing I am left puzzled with, is trying to imagine a human without consciousness and yet still display "self evident behavior". Things were lost in translation so meh.
derprumeMay 8, 2016 8:08 PM
May 8, 2016 3:36 AM
Aug 2014
proJektFade said:
Some seriously spooky stuff here, gonna have nightmares about pink architecture for weeks now... I thought the ending was great personally, since it felt like the quintessential dystopian conclusion, with an extra cup of sadness. I guess for the people who didn't like it, this probably isn't a good genre to watch hahaha

CommanderAmarao said:

Just speculation, but they look a lot like the chairs that the committee members sat on, so maybe their memories or stories were preserved. The girl at the end is probably some random student (she had the same uniform as Tuan Cian and Miach), likely meant to show that despite the Harmony system's execution, the next generation will be exposed to the same ideas. Who knows, didn't read the book! Hopefully someone who has can further elaborate, if the book does provide more context.

I believe it is the opposite. The girl represents the person's' conscious and the white towers are like interfaces for the brains' actions and thoughts represented in code. Once harmony went online, the human conscious was no longer needed, hence the girl walking away and the multitude of white towers with unoccupied seats. Now it is a world where students like our MCs do not go through what they did.
derprumeMay 8, 2016 3:43 AM
May 9, 2016 1:11 PM
Aug 2010
derprume said:
Probably the only thing I am left puzzled with, is trying to imagine a human without consciousness and yet still display "self evident behavior". Things were lost in translation so meh.

Wasn't originally going to comment, but I'm the person who released the Jp-Cn-Eng fansubs, so apologies if that scene was unclear. I cross-checked against the book whenever possible to reduce errors (while trying not to just straight up copy lines out of it), and the book does also use the term "self evident". However, it's probably easier to understand in the book, since there's more space to explain what the author means by the term. Like most book to movie adaptations, stuff got trimmed down for the movie. I'll just copy paste the corresponding passage here:

“That’s right, the conference. If all the participants have the same opinion, and all of their roles are perfectly aligned, then why hold a conference at all? If the feedback web does not plot our values on a hyperbola, but instead uses a logical, exponential curve, this is perfect harmony, in other words a state without any consciousness. It was something we couldn’t detect in our tests on animals.”
So my father had been trying to create a self-evident person, perfectly adapted to the stresses of admedistrative society. For someone whose every desire was self-evident, there was no need to make decisions. If their feedback web worked on clear, logical values, no will was needed to choose between one thing or the other. Consciousness was no longer required.
It almost made me laugh to think that such an obvious outcome hadn’t occurred to anyone in my father’s research group.
The mingled smells of spices and things cooking floated down toward the river from the direction of Abū-Nuwās. I spotted the boys again with their dog, running in and out of the water.
“We announced our findings to the other researchers and investors in the working group, that perfect harmony invariably meant the absence of consciousness. That consciousness was indeed only a mechanism for choosing between the various agents of desire teeming in our subconscious, the result of conflicts that required conscious thought to resolve, and the acting upon those conflicts. These choices were obvious to a perfectly harmonious will, thereby removing the need for a will to determine actions. We were chasing after the perfect human but ended up killing consciousness, for it was no longer needed.”
It was ironic. Our souls were nothing more than the product of a hyperbolic evaluation system we had developed over the course of our evolution. Perfect humans didn’t need souls.
“What happens when you lose your consciousness? Do you just sit there all day in your chair, drooling?”
“Nothing of the sort. You go shopping, you eat, you enjoy entertainment—you merely no longer have to make decisions what to do at any given time because everything is self-evident. It’s the difference between having to make choices and having it all be obvious to you. That’s all it is. That’s what divides the world of the consciousness and the world without. People have absolutely no problem living without consciousness or will, Tuan. They live their lives as normal. People can be born, grow old, and die without consciousness. Consciousness has very little to do with culture, really. From the outside, it’s nearly impossible to tell whether someone has a consciousness or is merely acting as though they did. However, because their system of values is fashioned to be in perfect harmony with society, there are far fewer suicides, and the kinds of stress we find in our admedistrative society disappear completely.”

Basically, after harmony, the correct action to take is logical and obvious (i.e. self evident), so there's no need for a consciousness to choose an action.

I definitely recommend reading the book if possible, not only because it is a direct Japanese to English translation but also because the book explains everything more thoroughly whereas the movie had to abbreviate much of it to fit into 2 hours. Lots more worldbuilding details as well (e.g. it's mentioned that the sunflowers shown at the very beginning are genetically engineered to extract and clean up nuclear fallout.)
May 14, 2016 2:48 PM

Jul 2009
Tuan was amazing, all she really wanted in the end was to see Miach again, she didn't care about the world, just about her childhood friend that she thought was dead. Miachi's past was really sad, but I was expecting something like that when Tuan's dad said that Miachi's was captured at age 8, but still sad, since we know that all that shit really happened/happens in wars...
7/10
May 16, 2016 2:19 AM

Dec 2014
Tumbril said:
(e.g. it's mentioned that the sunflowers shown at the very beginning are genetically engineered to extract and clean up nuclear fallout.)

this information...i could have never imagined or even had given any thought to that...thanks

May 17, 2016 11:37 PM

Feb 2014
Wow. I have to say I really liked the movie. I just got back from watching it. Some very heavy ideas and themes, I thought it used them all well.

A very eerie anime indeed. That ending was great. I'd give it a 8 or 9, I'll have to think about it later.
May 19, 2016 3:02 AM

Jul 2007
Well what do you know another easy 10/10.

This movie completely washes away the bitter taste of kitschy crap that was Empire of Corpses. A must see for anyone interested in anime genre being elevated beyond being anime(Tm) nonsense.

A bleak and interesting look into the nature of humanity and human psychology. THe movie gets a lot more impact when you realize that when ITOH was writing the original work, he was dying from cancer and being pumped all sorts of drugs to be kept alive. That certain most likely affected the narrative, but the end result is just chilling look at life and death and necessity of all of it overall.

A brilliant masterpiece.
May 19, 2016 4:48 PM

Aug 2012
I had wanted to see this the moment I saw the artwork for it. Although I put it out of my mind for while, I was finally able to watch it. My thoughts on it were mostly positive. However, one thing stood out to me more then anything else: thank you for casting Miyuki Sawashiro as the lead. As my favorite VA, I my hype levels maxed out as soon as I heard her first line in the show.
May 28, 2016 3:11 AM
Sep 2015
Now that I have finished watching the movie. I have many questions.. Can someone explain to me the relationship between all different organisation like the WHO and 'the next generation human behavioural special characteristics monitoring working group' etc. Also, what is with the "consiousness" thing tuan's dad talked about? And what is miach real motives and why did tuan kill her at the end? Sorry for so many questions XD Really want to know the answer
May 29, 2016 12:29 AM
Sep 2010
Darkness_Wolf said:
Now that I have finished watching the movie. I have many questions.. Can someone explain to me the relationship between all different organisation like the WHO and 'the next generation human behavioural special characteristics monitoring working group' etc. Also, what is with the "consiousness" thing tuan's dad talked about? And what is miach real motives and why did tuan kill her at the end? Sorry for so many questions XD Really want to know the answer

This movie is definitely a lot to take in, especially for those who has never read the novel and had no prior knowledge of this movie before watching it. I'm one of them, so I don't know how great I'll be when explaining it, but this is what I understand from watching the movie:
WHO: World Health Organization. This is the group that Tuan is employed at. Basically, they oversee/regulate the physical and mental health of people and are so proficient at what they do that they hold a high rank societies around the world.

Next Gen group: Researchers who want to control the human consciousness from reverting back to barbaric times when people would murder and kill so that everyone will be in perfect harmony and that no crimes will ever be committed. This is what Tuon's father was researching. They're a branch of WHO's researchers & developers.

The consciousness that is mentioned in this movie is the act of deciding for oneself. I believe Tumbril's earlier post in this thread does a better job at explaining it.
Tumbril said:
Basically, after harmony, the correct action to take is logical and obvious (i.e. self evident), so there's no need for a consciousness to choose an action.

The passage that is quoted in his/her post also explains a lot.

What Miach really wanted was not a dystopia like suggested during the news cast in the middle of the movie where she basically stated "kill someone by [date] or die if you don't." Instead, she wanted to create a panicked situation that would force WHO to respond drastically if the suicide rates went up. The drastic measure that she wanted them to respond with was shutting off everyone's consciousness, thereby eliminating a person's freewill.

Why did Miach want this? Well, it was explained by Miach herself at the end of the movie. She talks about her time as a prisoner of war between the Russains and Chechnyans. During her stay at the Russian prisons, she vividly described the times when she was raped, implying that it was a memory that she would never forget and would never be free from.

This was why she first attempted suicide. That failed, however, and she lived to become a test subject of The New Generation's which is how she learns that they have a way to control the human consciousness with a click of a button. Going back to the WHO's drastic measures that I mentioned before, once they shut down a person's consciousness, Miach's memories will also become nothing of importance to her. She will be free from her past. Keep in mind that Miach was a special case, a child born with no conscious, but was forced to have emotions because of the experiences she had in the warzone. So, she already had a taste of the emotionless state and wanted to revert back to it. When she learned it was possible, this was the plan she came up with.

Tuon realizes Miach's plans to become a lifeless doll and is devastated. She loved Miach witl all her heart and couldn't stand to see her become such a thing since the reason Tuon was alwats so captivated by her was because of Miach's uniqueness. Unable to accept the fact that she will become a doll, Tuon kills her before she can become as such, which is a display of selfishness- knowing that despite murdering Miach, WHO will still activate whatever it is that will kill off a person's consciousness in order to stop the suicides.

Sorry that was a lot of text. I cant say this is 100% accurate, but this is how i saw the movie.
vaiaMay 29, 2016 1:20 AM
May 31, 2016 7:00 PM
Oct 2014
Hm, truely a masterpiece.
I am not thinking right now. It is really more of a brainstorm. So. many. thoughts.

This is from how I percieved the movie;
About human "selfconsciousness" and "personality".
Miach burns the philosophy books, which are representative of the human selfconsciousness.
Nothing is eternal, even though, humans always strife for eternity.

Why do "higher" life forms in general have a personality, unlike swarm creatures like ants or bees or fish?
In order to have better chances of survival somehow.

Now, if "personality" and "selfconsciousness" are no longer needed to survive, but rather represent a threat to the entire human species, wouldn't it be better to get rid of them and turn humanity into swarm creatures ("harmony program") ?

If nature gives us "personality" and "selfconsciousness" in order to survive, would the plan be to remove them if no longer needed?
And would our selfconsciousness actually allow beeing erased?
Yes, it would. Especially in order to survive or get a better life in general. Atleast it accepts beeing replaced by a new, better, more promising personality. (own experience)

Or could some personalities grow so persistant that they would resist natures "plan" and keep reaching out for eternity?
Jun 11, 2016 3:44 PM

Mar 2008
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Overall okay movie. First half felt pretty average, but the second half was somewhat enjoyable, plus the ending was pretty good too (even if it's a tad bit predictable).

3/5

Funny that I think the exact opposite - loved the first half since it was easy to follow and completely understandable, but the second half (exept the ending) was literally all over the place. It also dragged a lot..
Maybe I need to watch more anime movies, but I definitely think this is one of the better ones I've seen.
Jun 18, 2016 1:22 AM
Jun 2014
Ok guys so I just finished the movie and like many people, I have a few questions.
1. Towards the end of the movie, that group with the really long name contacted Toan and basically told her "you're the only one who can stop machi". If they said this, that means they weren't planning to activate harmony if machi was stopped. Yet, machi ended up dying anyway but they still activated harmony. What was the point of them even talking to Toan if they were just gonna activate Harmony anyway?
2. So basically Toan witnessed a childhood friend dying, then her own father dying. Her father told her to stop Machi so that the Harmony program wouldn't be activated but she ended up going to machi side anyway? So her father died In vein, the sacrifices on her journey were in vein?
3. Why did she decide to go with machi' plan at the end of the movie when she was against it for most of the movie? She seemingly said "screw the world, I just want machi" and then killed her. Letting the world go into the trance state.
4. The whole killing machi thing. I understand that it was because she didn't want machi to become doll like and she wanted to preserve her memory of what machi was like when she knew her but would it matter if they are both in that trance like state? Would Toan even think about things like that.
5. Will there be some sort of sequel where we get to see what harmony world looks like?

PS: I realize that I probably misspelled the white hair girls name.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» I really want someone who has read to book to explain this to me

APolygons2 - Dec 15, 2022

5 by Bloodglas »»
Jan 11, 11:52 PM

» Key Visual and Studio confirmed

YoxalLoyal - Nov 27, 2014

5 by SSSS_Shunaria »»
Jan 19, 2016 5:49 AM

» Any Word on Release Date?

removed-user - Dec 16, 2015

4 by tsubasalover »»
Jan 14, 2016 8:37 AM

» Trailer

tsubasalover - Oct 30, 2014

26 by CapedBaldy21 »»
Nov 2, 2015 12:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.