Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2011 5:58 PM

Nov 2011
Neat little movie from 1986. Very nice animation by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko who also directed Crusher Joe: The Movie and worked on the original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy.
Highly recommend to any fan of Greek mythology!
Klonoa7HFeb 6, 2021 2:55 PM
Aug 16, 2013 1:24 AM

Jul 2008
I actually did not enjoy it. There were several scenes that made no sense to me at alll. I could name quite a few actually. How did he go from a grieving psychopath to a courageous warrior leader? And all of the deaths seem pretty random, not just extras, but those that actually mattered like Poseidon, or that old man from the island cave, or even Athena -- and especially Athena. Like, she went from someone who was seeking vengeance over the death of her brother to lusting over a levitating homosexual and even beat up an innocent little girl for that lol. And to top it off,

I could keep going on, but I can still admire many other aspects positively. Most notably, it's animation. I loved the attention to detail each frame had and some scenes were directed very cinematically. I may have not enjoyed its story, but I do appreciate its effort :)
Sep 17, 2013 4:28 AM

Apr 2009
Where to start? ... I would like to apologize ahead if my post would look a mini review (or long winded and incoherent one) with lots of rambling thoughts.

Man, this thing has a lot of twists (IMHO, a good thing), the pretzels would be put to shame so I will only mention two. First was that people-rousing speech of his, if they were hearing his reasons, the people he was rallying are sick and twisted as well. The greater evil was Zeus but the little evil is rescuing the sister (which was of course noble) with incest in the heart of it! O_o Unless of course the people knew all along they weren't blood related in the beginning. Ethos was about to confess...but he fell and was blown away! >_< In the end, it turns out she wasn't really her true blood sister after all. Hooray! ^.^ Then there's Seneca... he's gay! O_o I don't hold it against him, it's just that he suddenly confessed, it came out of nowhere and it blind-sided me for a bit. At the siege, it turned out she was a girl after all! O_O

The characters? Oh boy... Arion, I'll let Alipio say it...
Alipio said:
How did he go from a grieving psychopath to a courageous warrior leader?
By rousing speech with the clear intent on incest! X_X

Zeus looks like wizened old man...err cry baby wizard, prone to whining to other powers to help him stay on top of the order. Athena is a sexually frustrated, workaholic military woman jilted by Apollo. Apollo is a power-hungry narcissist (come to think of it narcissism had something to do with Apollo anyway, LOL) biding his time. Ares thankfully is still rash and dumb barbarian who got himself killed midway along the movie. Finally, Gaia/Mother Earth is a bitch! ^_^ Save Demeter and Prometheus, LordCustos3's MAL review pegged it right,
LordCustos3 said:
the Gods of Olympus were a bunch of sociopathically spoiled douchebags

Olympus looks dreary, Lord of the Rings trilogy film's Barad-dûr in Mordor comes to mind or any other Big Bad's dark castle in any fiction. It's not filled with light, little cupids, unicorns (LOL) like Disney and other media portrayed it.

Of the weapons, I was surprised the ancient Greeks really did have a crossbow, the gastraphetes. I thought they were Roman or Chinese thing, something new everyday. XD The rockets is another thing though, as it was used in the siege of Olympus, the ancient Chinese need to sue the ancient Greeks! (In the present time, the Chinese are copying everything so I guess that would even out somehow. ROTFLMAO) Then there's the thunder tube, it was a friggin' laser focus! The entire setup was a small version of the 'Archimedes heat ray' but it's so efficient and effective, it fires like Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery walker from the Clone Army in Star Wars.

In the beginning and midway through the movie, it feels like a tragedy worthy of Oedipodean standards; murder, patricide, incest... then it lost me to rescue-the princess-and-down-with-king-thing. O_O WTH! Suddenly it became cheap somehow.

In spite of all that, I still got entertained after almost two hours, and I loved the sketch art in the flashbacks/nightmares scenes with Demeter. 7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 9, 2016 12:17 AM
Sep 2009
And I think that this movie is very underrated here on MAL. It's epic, it's well drawn and animated, it follows the motives of Greek mythology - what else do you want from good movie?
TyrelMar 9, 2016 1:05 AM
Goh'Dan
Mar 9, 2016 1:06 AM

Sep 2011

Thread Merged into a new topic due to a mess up
Mar 9, 2016 5:12 AM

Jun 2011
I thought this was gonna be good at the beginning, but after a while, I noticed that they skipped around way too much, like how he knew some of the people he met. The climatic scenes were underwhelming as well.

This may have meant to be watched with the knowledge of ancient Greek mythology, too bad I haven't searched up those information before I watch this, and even if that's the case, it still doesn't excuse the jumping around.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 15, 2017 8:40 PM
Dec 2014
Yasuhiko was definitely one of the greatest of his time. It's a shame he never exploited his own talent to the fullest back then, he could be remembered as the Anno of the 80s.
May 6, 2017 3:34 PM

Dec 2015
It was a fairly entertaining action movie recycling the greek myths pantheon. A personal drama against the end of the "gods" era.
On one hand, I found the animation decent but on the other hand, it seemed rather simple compared to the gorgeous movements of Venus Wars. Still, the drawings themselves were very good and the overall pictures were often quite well made.
The tempo was at times mishandled but I wouldn't say it was as bad as it sounds on this page. I was never lost, the movie making a point in showing you that the time passes in a few different ways. But for the adaptation of a short manga who was created by Yasuhiko only to justify his movie project (and be funded), it looked indeed a bit too compressed.
The music never stood out but it was efficient. I must say I was expecting more from Isaishi after hearing him on Venus Wars (his work there being interestingly different than his deliveries for Miyazaki).

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 6.5+/10 (rounded up because it looks crafted with care and isn't extremely very common)
No idea why Yasuhiko "disowned" it.

Special applause to Kazé for its DVD (France): translation sometimes doubtful, missing dialogues lines, and a video you could imagine coming from a VHS ! Strange when Venus wars whose DVD creation in Japan was also blocked thanks to its creator received a sublime DVD version in France.

Mention spéciale à Kazé pour son édition DVD: traduction par moment douteuse, lignes de dialogues ignorées, et une vidéo telle que l'on pourrait croire que l'on regarde une VHS. Etrange quand on voit le niveau de soin des images du DVD fr. Venus wars qui n'a lui aussi reçu aucune édition DVD au Japon (refusé par le créateur).

@Largo93 In terms of directing? Indeed, I found a lot of scenes compositions pretty good (you can see this in Venus Wars as well, or in his several manga).

February 7, 2021
@AC9123 You will dislike it then : it is not Greek mythology, it is its own story (the fall of gods) casting greek mythological figures (and bending them to the author's desires). Especially if you're a die-hard fan of the "original" myths.
Rei_IIIFeb 7, 2021 2:49 AM
May 14, 2017 3:29 PM
Dec 2014
I would say it's noticeable on pretty much anything he is involved in. Even in The Origin, where he clearly has no 100% control over it, the scene composition, scoring choices and direction of the VAs (to just name some elements), are top notch and are far above anything that is being produced today.
Nov 14, 2017 10:38 AM
Nov 2009
tofei said:
First was that people-rousing speech of his, if they were hearing his reasons, the people he was rallying are sick and twisted as well. The greater evil was Zeus but the little evil is rescuing the sister (which was of course noble) with incest in the heart of it! O_o

What's wrong with incest?

I only wish the anime would have focused on less and make that part coherent.
Oct 16, 2018 11:50 AM

Nov 2016
More or less a good movie with a very interesting setting. I was hoping for a stronger emotional response at the end, but it was still fine.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 5, 2021 11:50 PM
Oct 2017
Hm.... I found out about this but haven't watched it yet. I was hoping for this to be about a horse but I guess not. As a fan of Greek Myth I'll either cry at how bad it is or cheer because it's Greek Myth from what I hear... I wonder.
Mar 7, 2021 3:02 AM

Apr 2019
Arion (1986)
Divine hero Arion embarks into a colossal saga towards the Olympus for his star-crossed love Resphoina, amidst an all out war among the gods. This action romp pulps ancient Greek mythology in a blender, then molds an epic, aimless fan fiction story out of it. (4/10)

Jul 30, 2021 12:10 PM

Jul 2013
It's better to have no knowledge of Greek myths because this movie uses the source material poorly. Basically it doesn't really change anything in a meaningful way and instead they just butchered things for the most part. The movie look's and sounds good, but otherwise it's really forgettable.
Sep 5, 2021 11:50 PM
Mar 2021
As someone who is a huge fan of Greek Mythology, I didn’t enjoy this film as much. While the animation was very good for its time, all the designs of the gods look lame except for Apollo. Second, the story should’ve been stretched out more. At the beginning we got some of the most prominent Titans (they’re referred to as Titans not gods) randomly killed out of nowhere. It would’ve worked better if it was a trilogy or two part series. Third, the only character development I ever see happens to Arion, nobody else. There’s so many one dimensional characters that pop up, gets tiring after a while. Arion is the only interesting character imo. Now to be fair, the film did have some cool fights like the one on the ships, and the fight on the dragon. And it was done very nicely. But overall, 6/10
literally_bobaDec 21, 2021 3:35 PM
Dec 29, 2021 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
Rather disappointing. The animation and concepts were good, but many plot beats often made no sense. This was based on one of Yas's manga so I wonder if something was lost in the transition from page to screen. The rapid pacing and bizarre developments might be due to squeezing in all the material into a movie.
Aug 8, 2022 7:53 PM

Nov 2012
Those final 20 mins ruined the fucking movie. Everything prior though slightly fast pace was great. It was a pretty solid adventure series that was covering alot of grounds. Admittedly I don't know enough about Greek mythology to question accuracy but I was enjoying the setting of this.

But then everything from the point Prometheus revealed himself sucks. Lesphoena goes full on Newtype, kills Gaia, Zeus gets killed, Apollo get killed. Arion & Lesphoena are reunited, the end. It ends in such an anticlimactic manner.

Edit: Apparently Yasu was forced to adapted this against his will which might clear up some of the off beat feel of the movie.
https://wavemotioncannon.com/2017/01/31/interview-with-yoshikazu-yasuhiko-on-gundam-the-origin-animage-june-2015vol-444/
VanishingKiraAug 8, 2022 8:31 PM
Sep 16, 2022 8:27 AM

Jul 2009
I really liked it, the scenes all hand drawned was awesome. It has incest yes, but thats coeherent with the greek mithology. It shows for no reason the boys dick at the start of the movie and boobies, that made censoring the movie hard, cause it would ruin the soundtrack. I get it why its obscure right now, since its politically incorrect in a lot of scenes. Dragon Ball has scenes where people dicks(goku) was around for no reason, so its a product of its time.
I didnt get very well if despina is half sister of arion or no sister at all. The movie would have to be longer to explain things like Despina power to kill gaia, why Zeus was not strong at all, and why poseidon and hades were so fragile being killed by a sword.
And whats that sword anyway?
Im satisfied, the manga had several volumes(5 tankobons, like 50 chapters, i guess) so i already guessed it that the movie would be rushed, its like the Akira movie where not everything makes sense.
I cant read it since no one translated online to portuguese.
In the end watch it, it has a lot of memorable action scenes.

Nov 21, 2022 10:23 PM

Sep 2020
Better than I expected, it was a fun adventure movie! Great animation, creatures, and a nice soundtrack too. 9/10

I'm only slightly familiar with all the Greek gods but I don't get everyone's hang ups with them twisting their original personalities, it's not like this is a biopic! And they all did some messed up things in their myths.

Perhaps it was fleshed-out in the original manga, but I don't understand how Arion ended up alone with Demeter while Resphoina with Athena, even though she's Demeter's daughter.

VanishingKira said:
Those final 20 mins ruined the fucking movie. Everything prior though slightly fast pace was great. It was a pretty solid adventure series that was covering alot of grounds. Admittedly I don't know enough about Greek mythology to question accuracy but I was enjoying the setting of this.

But then everything from the point Prometheus revealed himself sucks. Lesphoena goes full on Newtype, kills Gaia, Zeus gets killed, Apollo get killed. Arion & Lesphoena are reunited, the end. It ends in such an anticlimactic manner.

Edit: Apparently Yasu was forced to adapted this against his will which might clear up some of the off beat feel of the movie.
https://wavemotioncannon.com/2017/01/31/interview-with-yoshikazu-yasuhiko-on-gundam-the-origin-animage-june-2015vol-444/

Yeah, I didn't like Super Saiyan Resphoina suddenly saving the day, either. Thanks for the link!
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Nov 16, 2023 3:17 AM
Mar 2023
I make it a point to not rate things usually but this piece of garbage writing has me fuming.

Why do none of these gods except for Apollo know how to defend themselves? Zeus and Hades just stand there while letting a teenager run towards thems with a sword and not even once display their powers?
Then there's the final fight which was built up through most of the movie only to have Lesphina oneshot sending Apollo to orbit for no reason other than Arion would have curbstomped.

Animation was great though.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.