Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2016 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
Interview with TheConquerer

Reviewed and edited by the reporter with a red tie.

Welcome, TheConquerer. Anything you'd like to say before we begin?

Yeah, hopefully this turns out as wonderful as I imagine it'll be not very good.

Tell us more about yourself

Ooh what’s there to say, I guess the basics, I was born and live in Ireland though I'm not Irish, I'm mixed Spanish and French descent though my official nationality is Spanish, ironic since I can't speak a word of Spanish and am fluent in French. I reside in a small coastal town beside the Irish Sea and from there I take the train on most days to get to school where I attend my classes. At my house I have 7 cats who like to wander around so it can get pretty messy to live. I like playing guitar and feebly seek to establish a band with friends but one of them has been away for months with psychiatric problems and the other can't sing and neither can I if I'm honest. In light of my failures as a musician I tried to pursue a film related career and so whenever I see an opportunity to act I take it, honestly that’s my motto for most things, “carpe diem” so to speak. I haven't seen any casting options though (Welcome to Ireland) so I mostly just produce my own stuff for my school or for film festivals, I've thought about joining a drama society but most things are an hour from where I live so it isn't really available.

When I was younger I used to live in a poor neighbourhood and mostly growing up never had any friends outside school who weren't temporary. I never got into anything illegal except maybe trespassing and setting off firecrackers which believe it or not are illegal in Ireland. I never played videogames that much since I only got one game a year and stopped after awhile.

For anyone who's interested in Ireland here's some info;
- The IRA was years ago, that stuff doesn't happen anymore
- American people are not 'Irish' whatever they claim they are
- Irish accents performed by the non-Irish in films or not will always be incorrect

Feel free to ask for more misconceptions, but here's a bit on Ireland from a student’s view.

It’s hard to explain what a miserable place Ireland is if you don't live there. It’s always rainy, there's nothing to do except go drinking or smoke and so there's this culture which develops where you either become a washed up party horse who works on some shit job supporting his family on whatever welfare they're on or you pursue a job in the IT industry and work as a programmer or some low end job. As someone who is going to enter the work force in a year or two those are really the biggest things which scare me. Though I think it’s a fear of those things that drive me forward paradoxically.

I could expand but I realized I wrote more than intended, guess I rambled on a bit.

Give us a brief history of your time on MAL. Which sections of MAL are you the most active on?

Oh boy oh boy, this is gonna require some memory power. I joined in 2014 but lurked a bit before then, being the noob to internet forums I was I picked Spike_Spiegal as my original name but realized it was taken so I picked something else, TheConquerer just came to mind for reasons I forget. I mostly posted some stuff between Forum Games and Casual Discussion but as time went on I moved towards CD more and more. Nowadays I like to check out Creative Corner for anything interesting and CD for whatever cancer seems to have developed over the past year. I enjoy Current Events as well though for the news it gives.

How do you think the MAL community sees you? How do you feel about that?

Honestly I doubt most people on MAL care about my existence, in the end we’re just people who browse walls of text for something to catch our eye and it’s usually the edgiest answer which does that, if you don't do that then you end up being dismissed subconsciously. I don't really care if I'm noticed or not online though.

What do you feel about the board you use the most? What do you feel about the community in general?

Well it’s Casual Discussion without a doubt, probably the most trending board on MAL. Honestly it could be a case of “the grass was greener on the other side” but I feel it’s been lacking any drama or interesting threads lately. Awhile ago it felt like people had time to come up with a good thread and generate discussion with it. Then it came to a part where people would cause drama with confessions or rants on other users and those were funny too. But then things just evolved into their own little bag of clichés which people would post to get the most replies without it necessarily having much discussion. A good analogy to compare I think would be YouTube. It began as a community of people having fun and posting what they liked but after time the algorithm (the rules) changed making the more viral videos get more views and so quality overrides quantity. By then all the users who cared had left or found their own clubs and so the forums became a sort of edgy lame carnival of freaks. Anyway that’s just what I think.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

It’s easy to blame the mods for how shitty some features and updates can be but at the end of the day it’s really the department that does the coding and all that are at fault, and even then I don't blame them since they probably get paid garbage. In the end it’s easier to just blame 'The Man' for all the shit that happens.

Any users you like? Why?

Yeah, everyone I talk to in my comments are fun, Snuggly, Anna_Cats, mafia_princess and all the others who probably hate that I didn't mention them :P

There's a few smart people on the forums which is a surprise like..., wait actually now that I think about it nothing comes to mind. Everyone on this site is borderline insane anyway so I'll just name the craziest.

Spooks: for being the embodiment of a Filthy Franks depiction of an anti-feminist in my head

That guy (forgot name) who probably touches himself to Richard Dawkins at night.

Incisorr: for hahahahaha do I even have to explain this one?

And all the wonderfully insecure people who love to hate on girls/men/religion/views/insert noun on this site that probably resides in Dante's Inferno.

Btw if you're reading this and you aren't mentioned, you're probably a normal guy so don't feel bad.

Any users you dislike? Why?

Just the stupid ones, if you're reading this far it’s not you. You know who they are.

What are some MAL members you consider the most influential? You're not allowed to include yourself.

Hahaha I wouldn't include myself, I doubt you could call anyone on this site “influential”. At most when you're a new user you might see their posts alot but you realize that just means they have nothing else to do.

Closest would be Immhanoob or JD2411, they're probably memes at this point.

Is there a MAL member you would want to take on a date or get to know better? Who and why?

Just one person, Scarlett Johansson, wait she doesn't use Mal? Oh uh...fuck who cares I've never see anyone's face here anyway.

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future? Why?

Maybe if I get a job, as for why well leaving Mal is the equivalent to succeeding in life. Only thing holding me back is the people I talk to in my comments.

You have Spanish and French "roots" and you don't seem very fond of Ireland. Any plans on living elsewhere? Where would you go and why?

I wouldn't say my heritage has to do with my dislike of the living conditions of Ireland since all my friends think it sucks here as well, it’s the kind of place that gives that vibe.

I was thinking of going to America but I'd rather wait and see who wins the elections before making any rash moves. If I could I'd go to Japan I would, there's a few universities which offer a year abroad so maybe I could take a year to go to Tokyo or something. If not I can always become a traveling nomad...

A tourist stops and asks you to recommend your favorite spots in Ireland. They can be famous or not, what would you advise?

Hahaha well their first mistake was being in the town I frequent, that's for sure. I guess my line of expertise lies around Dublin and Wicklow so I would recommend Glendalough if you like scenery and the Wicklow way. In Dublin don't bother with the museums except for the Little Museum which is amazing. The Viking Splash Tour will summarize Dublin in a nutshell along with the Dublin 1916 tour if you can get that. Speaking of 1916, if you want to visit Ireland it’s this Easter because we’re celebrating 100 years since the Uprising against Britain, it'll be the most exciting year in decades for sure. Apart from that I can't think of anything huge, if you're curious pm me I guess.

Seven cats, sounds like a lot of chaos. What are some moments with them that stand out?

Yeah they can be alot to deal with but they're worth it, I remember sometimes in the morning I wake up and hear meowing so I look around and then I realize it’s from the window. My cats sometimes just stay on the roof and meow at midnight for me to let them in.

What kind of music do you/would you like to make in your band? Would you ever drop your mixtape on MAL?

That’s a tough question, I guess anything which sounds good though probably acoustic with some electric. It would never be heavy metal, I can't stand the heavy stuff ‘cep rarely. Imagine a mix of Flight of the Conchords and Dire Straits I wish.

Mal would be the first place I'd drop my mixtape, the criticism they would offer would be great.

You really enjoy acting. What's a favorite among the works you've produced? Any dream roles?

I've done alot of roles for short stuff, I remember playing a guy who travels to another dimension in a toilet and one where I got kidnapped by a man who thinks he was bane. The latter ended with me being thrown into a car trunk and locked. The thing with filming for friends is that it’s really difficult to film when people are around since the law isn't the same as in America.

A huge role model of mine is Daniel Day-Lewis (who lives in Ireland) so I wouldn't care what role I got if I would be able to play with him.

What do you like about the character "The Question"? I know you use him in a lot of sets, if I'm not wrong. Hopefully I have the right character too.

Nope you're right, it’s from the Justice League animated series actually, in it he had a big role as this paranoid investigator who was always right and I just thought his personality and mask were pretty cool, he served as an inspiration for Rorschach from Watchmen as well so that’s a bonus.

Can you recommend us 3 members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

Mkim: he messes around alot. I'd want to hear who's behind that screen.

Yoonie: pretty interesting person I think

Spooks: how has this not happened yet?

Any shameless self-promotions? Perhaps you want more publicity for your club, or a suggestion for the community to see?

Check out my Poetry thread if that interests you I guess, Cyan Chess club could do with some revitalization and for a suggestion well, treat yourself better, you deserve it. (God that sounds cheesy)

This concludes the interview. Thanks for sitting down with us.
removed-userFeb 24, 2016 12:59 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 24, 2016 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
Why no habla espanol?
Feb 24, 2016 5:30 PM

Mar 2015
Didn't know that the Conquerer was a crazy cat lady. I guess you learn something new every day.
Feb 24, 2016 11:43 PM

May 2014
Onii-chan said:
Why no habla espanol?

Never grew up with it, since my mom is french we would speak french in the house
I've been here way too long...
Feb 25, 2016 11:18 PM

Dec 2013
@TheConquerer
In my opinion, if leaving a place you enjoy is a necessity to "become success". Than how success is your life then really?
Feb 26, 2016 5:52 AM

May 2014
Hibbington said:
@TheConquerer
In my opinion, if leaving a place you enjoy is a necessity to "become success". Than how success is your life then really?

I don't know, could you elaborate?
Feb 26, 2016 2:10 PM

Dec 2013
TheConquerer said:
Hibbington said:
@TheConquerer

I don't know, could you elaborate?

It is more just an ambiguous question.
Make you think what paths with lead to the end of the road that is euphoric happiness.

One of my professors was making around 200,000 dollars a year being a full time professor and CEO of a business.
Some consider that the dollar amount = success
But are you really living a happy life? You only have one life.

He ended up working 80 hours a week for 4 years straight and it started to lead to some health, mental, social complications that one day he sent in his resignation of being the CEO so that he could enjoy life again.

So the real question about leaving MAL should be defined as to "success" in your career path but if you still get enjoyment out of MAL.
Is it still in the recipe that you mix to reach euphoric happiness.
If not than this part of your life has been eclipsed.
Mar 1, 2016 7:45 PM

Jul 2012
@TheConquerer
If it means anything I notice your posts just have a hard time quoting them.
Mar 2, 2016 10:44 AM

May 2014
@hibbington I just wanna say I in no way believe leaving Mal is going to bring me success, more I believe being able to spend less time here would be a consequence of me spending time somewhere more productive, (hopefully)
That story about your professor was interesting and reminded me of the balance between fame and enjoyment (Birdman had an interesting take on this), I enjoy Mal for now but I would never consider it above the benefits that a good job would bring me as if I became a successful actor or whatever I am certain I would enjoy it as I would never (hopefully) be pressured to do something I don't like.

@Coolspot You seem like a cool guy, I appreciate your posts as well and its fine. I amn't really looking for attention here
Mar 2, 2016 6:39 PM

Mar 2015
@TheConquerer Notice me senpai!
Mar 3, 2016 10:01 AM

May 2014

Mar 3, 2016 10:03 AM

Mar 2015
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.