Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 18, 2016 11:01 PM

Aug 2010
This show, from its genius blend of jazz and traditional Japanese music, to its perfect pacing and direction, to its remarkable voice cast and incredibly well written characters, is easily one of the best shows that has aired in a long time for me.

I hope that the score skyrockets when the airing is complete, or that it gets enough episodes to complete the story.

Each episode is a reminder of how good anime can be, I haven't had a show make me feel this good about an episode since Mushi-shi or Natsume Yuujinchou.

The Shouwa period is probably one of my favorite settings.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 18, 2016 11:02 PM

Nov 2014
This is because you are not watching the real deal.

Feb 19, 2016 7:52 AM

Oct 2012
YES to everything you said.
Feb 19, 2016 8:10 AM

Sep 2015
@ovoon7

I wouldn't considered it the best of this past two years, but it's pretty good.

Also, check out Joker Game. It will air in the next season and it's also set in that period.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 19, 2016 9:06 AM

Jul 2015
What about BokuDake ?
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Feb 19, 2016 9:11 AM

Sep 2015
This show is criminally unpopular, but at least it's getting a decent rating. Other than Boku Dake it's the only non-sequel anime of this season with a score of 8/10 or higher.

It's easily one of my favourites this season. I never would have expected an anime about story telling to be so interesting and amazing.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 19, 2016 2:18 PM

Oct 2007
SodiumChloride said:
What about BokuDake ?

What about it really?
Feb 19, 2016 2:21 PM

Jul 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:
SodiumChloride said:
What about BokuDake ?

What about it really?

BokuDake is BokuDake .

Isn't it the almighty new saviour of anime ?
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Feb 19, 2016 7:58 PM

Oct 2014
It is indeed amazing
Too bad nobody cares because it does not have melodrama or young children being victimazed
Feb 19, 2016 8:51 PM

Sep 2011
This is definitely shaping up to be one of my favorite slice of life stories, its already at a (low) 9/10 from me and ive only ever given that to a few shows while ongoing....unfortunately most of them i jinxed it a bit by giving it the 9 but lets hope this one isnt that case.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2016 9:31 PM

May 2014
Ahhh man, spotting this thread has made me happy. c:

And I totally agree on all points, though I'm still slightly surprised that I haven't seen any people talking about it so far, but ah well, it's not for everyone I guess?

On another note, I honestly didn't expect to get so invested in Rakugo, or in the characters performing. I find myself genuinely dreading the possibility of them screwing up on stage, to the point where I'm ridiculously tense throughout the performance bits, lol.

Buuut of course it pays off when they don't mess up, because the sense of satisfaction is so real, hahah. Really lookin forward to where this ride goes.
Feb 19, 2016 9:31 PM

Oct 2015
I'm Speculating that it might need a sequel since I've read that the anime might end in vol 5 or 6 and the manga is going to with volume 10

But yeah If the show ends on a high note it might get a spot on my fave list loving everything so far
Feb 19, 2016 10:24 PM

Aug 2010
SodiumChloride said:
What about BokuDake ?

I'm watching it, and I think it's entertaining, but it has a lot of flaws. More so in recent episodes, I think it's going to fall apart at the end just like Zankyou no Terror.
Feb 20, 2016 12:14 AM

Aug 2014
ItsMaz said:
This show is criminally unpopular, but at least it's getting a decent rating. Other than Boku Dake it's the only non-sequel anime of this season with a score of 8/10 or higher.

It's easily one of my favourites this season. I never would have expected an anime about story telling to be so interesting and amazing.
I know right? ^_^

I was in awe by the end of the first episode. I admit, I was skeptical when I saw Yotarou's first Rakugo but it grew on me. Quite ironic that a story about storytelling could be so enthralling.

ovoon7 said:
SodiumChloride said:
What about BokuDake ?

I'm watching it, and I think it's entertaining, but it has a lot of flaws. More so in recent episodes, I think it's going to fall apart at the end just like Zankyou no Terror.
I wouldn't compare the two anime since they're quite different not only in genre but also animation style etc. Both Boku Dake and Rakugo are great anime in their own right.

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Feb 20, 2016 12:34 AM

Aug 2015
This anime has one of the best narrative styles I've ever come across.

The story is honest and does not have unnecessary drama and is just perfect for a relaxing watch.

Shame it's so unpopular.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
Feb 20, 2016 12:45 AM

Aug 2014
@TheBroenheim
Do you mean unpopular in that it's not getting enough exposure/people are not giving it a chance, or that people are watching it but don't like it? I think the issue is most likely the former. If people just broadened their horizons a bit they'd see this anime is well worth the watch.

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Feb 20, 2016 2:26 AM

Aug 2015
DaylightDream said:
@TheBroenheim
Do you mean unpopular in that it's not getting enough exposure/people are not giving it a chance, or that people are watching it but don't like it? I think the issue is most likely the former. If people just broadened their horizons a bit they'd see this anime is well worth the watch.

I mean both. We have a lot of run of the mill anime this season, and then really good ones like konosuba and boku dake, so people are not really taking notice of this series. I think.

And then there are those who cannot get into this kind of anime and hence end up dropping it, or not talking about it as much.
Come to think of it MAL really isn't the kind of place that encourages very mature discussions, and that's about the only kind this anime can inspire.
It just needs a little buzz.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
Feb 20, 2016 8:53 AM

Aug 2010
I think the josei genre tag scares people off. They must not realize that Kids on The Slope/Usagi Drop were josei.
Feb 20, 2016 8:55 AM

Aug 2010
DaylightDream said:

ovoon7 said:

I wouldn't compare the two anime since they're quite different not only in genre but also animation style etc. Both Boku Dake and Rakugo are great anime in their own right.

We never once compared them, I was just commenting on the quality of shows this season.

Unless you are talking about my Zankyou no Terror comparisson, which I was only using to state that It will likely be a similar show that had a high budget and huge following, but fails to plan itself out well.
Feb 20, 2016 9:50 AM

May 2009
Naah, it's too boring at times. Especially rakugos. Also producers fucked up with making flashback for whole story of anime. They even add anime original scenes to make it longer. Worst thing is that characters becoming more and more unlikeable assholes as anime progresses.
Feb 20, 2016 2:17 PM

Apr 2011
This is my AOTS by a large margin. I enjoy everything and no complains yet.

ovoon7 said:
I think the josei genre tag scares people off. They must not realize that Kids on The Slope/Usagi Drop were josei.

Yup. Most people are scared of josei anime/manga for some reason. Dunno why though. I find them better than shoujo for sure. More mature and elegant stuff.

bastek66 said:
Naah, it's too boring at times. Especially rakugos. Also producers fucked up with making flashback for whole story of anime. They even add anime original scenes to make it longer. Worst thing is that characters becoming more and more unlikeable assholes as anime progresses.

Producers didn't fucked up. The manga will end in volume 10, which will be released this summer, so they couldn't possible make it there without knowing what will happen. And even if they did, the time between the ending of the anime and manga is not close. (I know in the few cases of Shigatsu, Bokudake and AssClass which the manga and anime ended/will end, the time between them is very close).

I find the original scenes very good. I have seen only the scans of the manga, can't read Japanese (but I have read summaries and the most important story points), but so far the original scenes haven't done anything OOC or weird with the characters/story.

Also, I think only adapting 5 volumes now and manga ending this summer, it hints for S2. The mangaka said on her twitter that she will try and market the BDs of the anime in hopes of S2.
Feb 20, 2016 3:01 PM

May 2009
yuyyuka said:
Producers didn't fucked up. The manga will end in volume 10, which will be released this summer, so they couldn't possible make it there without knowing what will happen. And even if they did, the time between the ending of the anime and manga is not close. (I know in the few cases of Shigatsu, Bokudake and AssClass which the manga and anime ended/will end, the time between them is very close).

I find the original scenes very good. I have seen only the scans of the manga, can't read Japanese (but I have read summaries and the most important story points), but so far the original scenes haven't done anything OOC or weird with the characters/story.

Also, I think only adapting 5 volumes now and manga ending this summer, it hints for S2. The mangaka said on her twitter that she will try and market the BDs of the anime in hopes of S2.

The they shouldn't start series with Youtaro but start series with second episode and first episode should be finale of season.
Feb 24, 2016 6:03 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah, it's excellent. If it ends well, it's going to be one of the best shows of the year. And it's only the Winter season!
Mar 5, 2016 7:28 AM

Dec 2014
So what do you think our chances are of getting this on R1 DVD?
Mar 7, 2016 5:09 PM

Aug 2009
This show is awesome and easily on par, or even better than Boku Dake. Quite a shame that most people oversee this one because of the dumb Boku Dake Hype (already in the top 5 while the show hasn't even ended yet. Great job, MAL, great job.)
Mar 7, 2016 10:46 PM

Oct 2007
gabrielrroiz said:
It is indeed amazing
Too bad nobody cares because it does not have melodrama or young children being victimazed

Admittedly funny in a black comedy because it hits close to reality sort of way.

https://youtu.be/_pRA9g16nHk

By the way thought it was pretty cool that Sunrise (the company Deen spun off from) got on board the Rakugo revival thing today by producing their own version about Gundam of course. Can always count on them to remain pretty interesting and be creative and multi-faceted in an era where most studios just play it safe with established moe hits and teen drama stuff all the time.
PeacingOutMar 7, 2016 10:51 PM
Mar 8, 2016 6:37 AM

Mar 2009
I wholly agree with you on this, the show's quality is real consistent and is getting better with each passing episode.
Mar 11, 2016 1:29 PM

Apr 2013
It's good for not having any schools in it and light novel bullshit.
Mar 11, 2016 9:27 PM

Jan 2008
Absolutely the best of the season for me, I really hope a season 2 comes along!

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone know exactly what year it's supposed to take place in? I can't remember if we were ever given an exact date at any point (both for the flashbacks and the "current" timeline)
Mar 11, 2016 10:14 PM

Aug 2013
I really hope for a second season too, because that one just cover half of the story and big revelations are for later in the story. D:
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 12, 2016 12:20 PM

Feb 2015
Luxun said:
Nah. This season probably, but nowhere near the best in recent years.

OP said last two years so going back to winter 2014, the only thing comparable is Ping Pong which aired spring 2014.
Mar 12, 2016 4:41 PM

Aug 2010
[quote=devinder message=45150076]
Luxun said:
the only thing comparable is Ping Pong which aired spring 2014.

Yes, and Mushishi season 2.

I also didn't the "the best", but one of, which it totally is.
Mar 12, 2016 5:25 PM

Feb 2015
Luxun said:

ovoon7 said:
Yes, and Mushishi season 2.

I also didn't the "the best", but one of, which it totally is.

It still isn't, but who cares.

It still isn't one of the best? You say 'who cares' but this deserves recognition just as much Shirobako and Parasyte and sure as hell deserves it more than ZnT. Regardless, this argument's lost on someone who considers Rakugo to not be ambitious while having ZnT as a favourite.
Mar 12, 2016 6:01 PM

Aug 2010
devinder said:
Luxun said:

It still isn't, but who cares.

It still isn't one of the best? You say 'who cares' but this deserves recognition just as much Shirobako and Parasyte and sure as hell deserves it more than ZnT. Regardless, this argument's lost on someone who considers Rakugo to not be ambitious while having ZnT as a favourite.

Yea, ZnT was a failure in story writing. It failed to do a proper cat and mouse setup, and then it ruined everything that it had left by taking a dump on the final arc, filling it with predictable pretentious motives, and a horrible conclusion.

But the production values were astounding and the scene direction was great, so apparently that makes a show.
Mar 16, 2016 1:25 PM
Feb 2012
Absolutely agreed. I've never been so captivated by a show, I really forget I'm watching anime sometimes. The setting, voice acting, music, art. Everything is outstanding!
Mar 17, 2016 9:09 PM

Oct 2014
Luxun said:
devinder said:

Something being good or in this case " one of the best" depend on its quality and it is debatable. So I hardly see there's correlation between something deserve more attention with being the best show.

When I say 'who cares' I mean it is just my opinion. You don't have to think it was objective statement. I think Rakugo is not one of the best because there's better series, you don't have to agree with me.

about the 'Ambitious' thing I applaud the first episode which was 50 minutes and very dialogue heavy which is kinda daring for introduction. But aside from that there's nothing standout from it compared to other series I've seen. while the plot is nice it is not appeal to many peiple, The art/animation wasn't spectacular, the sound was just there, and the characters is just expansion of something we already seen before.

And oh since when ZnT is not ambitious ? it's flawed but everything around it was 'bombastic.'

there is nothing ambitous about making a flashy trainwreck to appeal to the masses because big explosions
Mar 18, 2016 4:13 AM

Jul 2014
This show is absolutely superb. I couldn't talk highly enough of it.
Mar 19, 2016 7:58 AM
Jan 2015
That dude says one of the best things... not the best one.... errr.. so he is free to include it in his list and he is not even saying that Shouwa Rakugo takes the top spot. So why the commotion?

2014 has Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Hunter x Hunter, Nagi no Asukara, Mushi-shi, Garo and ShiroBako (2014 is a relatively strong year in anime but... bar Mushi-shi, everything has its own issues.)
2015 has Death Parade, OreGairu Zoku, Euphonium and Noragami Aragoto (yet this year is relatively weak so.... maybe Rakugo can top them, isn't it?)

Yeah, it is the splitting image of Kids on the Slope but with a better pacing.

A bit of an advertisement, here's my blog for my weekly thoughts in these shows this season. Thanks for paying a visit.
Mar 19, 2016 1:52 PM

Jan 2015
I couldn't agree more with you but I don't seriously know why I can't bring myself to add this anime to my top.
Mar 19, 2016 5:05 PM

Jul 2013
For fans of the historical genre this a rare gem among anime. Maybe the best historical drama in 5 years.
Mar 19, 2016 6:07 PM

Sep 2011
this show is a real gem, i dont know if it will get a 10 or not but this is an extremely high 9 at the very least

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 19, 2016 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
I would have to agree. You don't need to like the historical aspect to get on board with this show. It's a damn solid drama with great characters, a story you care to watch evolve, and excellent supporting visual direction and music. I've recommended to pretty much everyone who has asked "what to watch from this season".
Mar 27, 2016 10:23 AM
Jan 2016
Never, I can already call at least 5 animes better this season alone(That being Gintama,Haikyuu,DnA,Konosuba and gundam, nevermind 2 years, this wouldn't even be in the top 50 best of the last 2 years

All the people screaming "Underrated" when it has a score of 8.27 lmfao, serious? This is honestly overrated and it is a literal snoozefest with only 2 decent characters, the best episode was episode 1 which I can give a 9 but then it went downhill and fast, with a good episode here and there but most of it was literally useless and nothing happened
Mar 27, 2016 11:03 PM

Aug 2009
bastek66 said:
yuyyuka said:

The they shouldn't start series with Youtaro but start series with second episode and first episode should be finale of season.

After seeing episode 12, I can definitely say: No. The way they did it (with having Yotaro's episode in the beginning and then having the main flashback story) was perfect to avoid unneccessary melodrama and asspull regarding a certain event and yet convey the emotions of the that scene. In fact, it was quite perfect.
Mar 28, 2016 1:05 AM

May 2009
mrmuk said:
bastek66 said:

After seeing episode 12, I can definitely say: No. The way they did it (with having Yotaro's episode in the beginning and then having the main flashback story) was perfect to avoid unneccessary melodrama and asspull regarding a certain event and yet convey the emotions of the that scene. In fact, it was quite perfect.

I got spoiled about what happens later in manga so I know now that flashback needs to be Kiku's story.
Mar 29, 2016 2:17 PM

Apr 2014
yup it indeed is. i can count like only 2-3 series that are better than shouwa genroku rakugo shinjuu the past 2 years (ping pong the animation, shirobako, mushishi zoku shou). its pacing is steady, it has developed and fleshed-out characters that are likeable, the plot never gets tiring and it is enjoyable af. the opening is one of the best and the soundtrack is great. the animation too.
Apr 1, 2016 6:18 PM

Feb 2014
ovoon7 said:
This show, from its genius blend of jazz and traditional Japanese music, to its perfect pacing and direction, to its remarkable voice cast and incredibly well written characters, is easily one of the best shows that has aired in a long time for me.

I hope that the score skyrockets when the airing is complete, or that it gets enough episodes to complete the story.

Each episode is a reminder of how good anime can be, I haven't had a show make me feel this good about an episode since Mushi-shi or Natsume Yuujinchou.

The Shouwa period is probably one of my favorite settings.

All of last year only two shows, that were not sequels, got above an 8.50 on MAL (those being Food Wars and One Punch Man). This show will join them and also Erased. Not a bad season at all.
Apr 5, 2016 2:06 AM
Jan 2014
Best pacing in an anime I've seen in a long time. Good slice of life, each episode covers over so much material. Almost all of the interactions feel natural for adults (okay the Yoai fanservice maybe not but they aren't over the top and the rest of the show is executed well enough that I still finished the show and gave it a 9 as a guy). I enjoy stand up comedy and stories so the tales are good as well.
Apr 23, 2016 9:32 AM

Jan 2008
A wonderful show indeed! Can anyone recommend anything similar? I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and would like to experience something like it again. The setting and pacing were really nice, too. *_*
Apr 23, 2016 9:56 AM
Jan 2015
Correct me if I am wrong but someone said Konosuba was better than this? Woah. That's a grand statement even if that is an opinion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.