Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 9, 2016 10:35 AM

Jan 2016
Did the Dark Horse version cut some stuff out?

By the way, I don't think I got the censored version 'cause there is that sex scene on chapter 2.
PxHCOct 25, 2018 11:57 AM

Aug 15, 2017 5:46 PM

Mar 2014
According to Amazon, that edition was published in 1995, and only has 117 pages, which is much less than the full edition.
This first edition is listed as collecting the eight single-issue comics that Dark Horse released beforehand, but at 117 pages, that wouldn't make any sense. So, either amazon made a typo, or they cut a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff out of that first volume. Let me know how many pages your edition is.

I compared the index data of the eight single-issue comics on GCD with the recently released 11-chapter Kodansha Comics deluxe edition (which I believe is in the same as the original Japanese edition).
the first Dark Horse issue seems to have combined chapters 1 & 2 (since the first chapter was just a short prologue, and the page counts line up.)
Issue 2 published "Junk Jungle" (Chapter 3, the one with the sex scene)
Issue 3 published "Robot Rondo" (Chapter 6)
Issue 4 published "Phantom Fund" (Chapter 7)
Issue 5 published "Dumb Barter" (Chapter 8)
Issue 6 published "Bye-Bye Clay" (Chapter 9)
Issue 7 published "Brain Drain" (Chapter 10) and...
Issue 8 published "Ghost Coast" (Chapter 11) and the epilogue (Sometimes considered Chapter 12)

So, it definitely seems that your edition, if it has 8 chapters, is simply a re-publishing of these 8 issues, and you got the majority of the story, while only missing out on chapters 4 & 5. In any case, you're not missing much by skipping these chapters, which are considerably smaller and are more just tiny little side-stories more than anything else (One dealing with the Fuchikoma and another dealing with how cyborgs are made.). I'd say if you're curious just look them up online, no need to buy a new edition unless you'd really like to.

It seems Dark Horse did later release a second edition in 2004, with "additional material not published in previous U.S. editions"
I'm not sure if this edition also had the uncensored sex scene or not, but I'm sure it must've added Megatech Machine I & II (Chapters 4 & 5). If it had all of the chapters and the uncensored scene, I think that the 2004 edition is probably the ideal English version to own.
Otherwise, I'd say the ideal one is probably the recent 2017 Kodansha edition. Even though it has the sex scene removed, it has all of the Japanese SFX in-tact and is presented in right-to-left format, and contains all 12 chapters.
::End of Transmission::

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 5, 2010

12 by Densel_ »»
Mar 19, 2023 5:24 PM

» Odd question about the amount of chapters here

Edgeoftwilight - Mar 16, 2021

3 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 8, 2023 1:41 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 4 Discussion

Monad - Feb 26, 2013

6 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 7, 2023 7:18 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 8 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Aug 1, 2013

3 by cam_eleon »»
Jul 28, 2022 6:28 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 5 Discussion

Monad - Feb 26, 2013

4 by cam_eleon »»
Jul 21, 2022 3:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.