Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2016 11:29 PM

Feb 2016
It really does.

I got around to purchasing and beating Nier a couple of days ago. It has boring landscapes, pointless fetch quests, graphics are bland... You get the picture. It's seriously flawed.

But I enjoyed this game so much. It was quite an adventure!

Nier is related to Drakengard right? Do those old games still hold up? Is the story just as good? The reviews for them are bad, but i'd rather have the opinion on someone who's played both Nier and Drakengard.
Feb 7, 2016 11:40 PM

May 2010
Played the very beginning of Nier. I need to buy it sometime.

Played Drakengard 2 and 3. Drakengard 2 is a bad game for the first 85% of the game, and then it suddenly becomes a good game.

Drakengard 3 is a good game, but not game of the year material.
Feb 8, 2016 12:08 AM

Nov 2011
I'd say Nier is at the top while the Drakengard series is underneath it (Nier is a spin-off of Drakengard though).

I agree, NieR is probably the type of game that is flawed to its core, but is wrapped around some decent combat and fascinating story to bring it to the top.

Drakengard is similar, but unfortunately a lot worse off.

Basically, shitty gameplay, graphics and everything, but what makes it unique is its dark-gruesome story-telling. If you'd like you could probably play Drakengard 2 and 3 for yourself, but I HIGHLY recommend you just watch a playthrough of Drakengard 1.

I mean it when I say this, but Drakengard 1 sucked ass. Again, it does have a very unique chilling story though, so it's worth it to just watch how the game unravels while someone else plays it versus playing it yourself.

Drakengard 2 is an improvement from the first, but that's not saying much and it's a sequel to the first game. Drakengard 3 is more like a pre-quel and although it's still not fantastic it's pretty decent. The combat is definitely a lot better and it has a neat weapon system, but NieR still holds the trophy among those games.

Hell, even so much so NieR is getting somewhat of a spiritual successor for the PS4!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 8, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2010
Ragix said:
Hell, even so much so NieR is getting somewhat of a spiritual successor for the PS4!

Not so much a spiritual successor rather than an actual successor. We don't know if it's a sequel or not, yet, but it's the next entry as a series.
Feb 8, 2016 7:19 AM

Mar 2012
Thrashinuva said:
Ragix said:

Not so much a spiritual successor rather than an actual successor. We don't know if it's a sequel or not, yet, but it's the next entry as a series.
It can't be a sequel since it follows a different ending than the one taken for Drakengard 2, and both endings are not compatible with each other.
Feb 8, 2016 7:36 AM

Feb 2016
I could be wrong but from what I've read about Nier 2, its not tied to the first one.
Feb 8, 2016 7:46 AM

Mar 2012
The first Nier follows ending D/E, IIRC, from the first game (a fragment of which can be seen when talking to the trees).
Feb 8, 2016 7:58 AM

Aug 2009
At least the music and voice acting was great.

I also thought the gameplay was fairly entertaining, and I also reallyl iked the story. (What I can remember from it, anyway.)
Feb 8, 2016 9:23 AM

Aug 2013
Ragix said:

Basically, shitty gameplay, graphics and everything, but what makes it unique is its dark-gruesome story-telling.

Deadly premonition is the same, terrible everything yet so good.
Feb 8, 2016 3:09 PM

Nov 2011
FilthyFatso said:
I could be wrong but from what I've read about Nier 2, its not tied to the first one.

It's probably not tied in a way where you'd need to play the first, but playing the first would definitely help you know more about the game.
If I recall correctly, people were speculating it appears to take quite some time after.

As some of the machinery that we see in the new NieR trailer resembles something similar from the first NieR. People were thinking it was just a reference, but I think one of the endings led it to this sort of 'machine' timeline we're seeing in the new game.

I'd look more into it, but I'm actually waiting on getting my 360 fixed and don't want to ruin the other endings I haven't seen yet for myself.

Samu-tan said:
At least the music and voice acting was great.

I also thought the gameplay was fairly entertaining, and I also reallyl iked the story. (What I can remember from it, anyway.)

OST is another big one for these series. Grade A stuff, which surprised the hell out of me when I started off NieR and heard the "Song of the Ancients" piece.

Spooks said:
Ragix said:

Basically, shitty gameplay, graphics and everything, but what makes it unique is its dark-gruesome story-telling.

Deadly premonition is the same, terrible everything yet so good.

Haha, yeah that's a pretty good example. NieR is probably a tier above it though as some of the shit in Deadly Premonition (like the animations) were absolutely hilarious.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 8, 2016 6:18 PM

Mar 2012
I've played Drakengard 1 & 2.

The first one has a really good story and characters. However, the control scheme is very bizarre for a hack'n slash game...to the point where it is a major flaw.

I agree with Thrashinuva that Drakengard 2 is kinda bad for a while, but starts turning into a pretty good game toward the latter parts. I will say the control scheme for Drakengard 2 is VASTLY better than its predecessor. The fact that I could actually control my character was what kept me hooked. I thought it evolved into a fantastic game by the time it was all said and done.

I haven't played Drakengard 3 yet. I'm taking a break from console games for a while. I do want to play it eventually though.
May 12, 2021 9:11 PM
Dec 2017
And a few years later now we got a remastered version of Nier and its adressed all of your complaints op but doubt you'll see this lol

May 12, 2021 10:55 PM

Jan 2021
I didn't play the original, but the upgraded Replicant definitely worth it. The new content -and ending- is quite good too.
May 15, 2021 2:49 AM

Jul 2019
Crow_Black said:
And a few years later now we got a remastered version of Nier and its adressed all of your complaints op but doubt you'll see this lol

Remaster? When was that?
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎Hello!

More topics from this board

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
2 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
6 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
1 hour ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
5 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.