Forum Settings
Forums

If a show makes you 'cry', do you consider it good?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 8, 2016 11:33 AM

Dec 2015
I haven't cried in like 8 years so I think that it takes a really sad anime to make me do it. I do get emotionally attached though, but only if I really like the combination of the plot and characters.
Feb 8, 2016 12:07 PM

Nov 2015
Good is subjective. Reviews are subjective. There's no such thing as an unbiased opinion. Different people like different things.

For some people, myself included, a movie (or anime) or book (or manga) which can evoke emotions from the audience indicates a few things:

1.) That the characters are engaging enough that the audience feels compelled to actually feel something or care about them

2.) That the story is also engaging so as to hold the user's attention up until the point where sad event happens

3.) That along the way, the characters are developed in such a way that may either endear them further to the audience, or that the story is developed in such a way in that the sad event may be unexpected - both of which can help illicit the desired response (crying in this case).

It's like asking if a show makes you laugh, is it good? - To some it is, who enjoy comedy. To others who want a more mature story, that's probably not a good thing.

For me, I love melodrama and tear jerkers so I would consider this a positive. (I also enjoy comedies and would consider that a positive as well). (As well as psychological anime which make you "think")

Typically anything that makes the audience FEEL something, rather it's fear, sadness, laughter, or introspection is generally a testament to the writing within the piece, because to draw on the audience's emotions many different cogs need to be turning and working together throughout the entire series.
Feb 8, 2016 2:46 PM

Sep 2013
Pupa will make you cry and not because it's good.
Feb 8, 2016 2:50 PM

Jun 2012
Only if it makes my penis cry will I consider it good.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 8, 2016 7:57 PM
Sep 2015
If a show made you cry, then it is without doubt a great show. You probably cared for the characters. settings etc even though its fictional. If you heart is been moved by fictional stories then the author's done his/her job.
Feb 8, 2016 8:18 PM

Jun 2015
If a show makes me cry, then it did a good job at capturing my emotions. So yes, I do.
Feb 8, 2016 8:26 PM

Jun 2013
Generally, yes. If I cry, that means it made an emotional connection with me. And a show that does that generally has strong characters (in the sense that they're relatable), regardless of the integrity of the plot or animation quality and whatnot. The best shows are the ones that can make you feel something. I'll be the first to admit that I haves some shows with shoddy story telling moments in my favorites, but I it didn't matter to me because I was able to connect with the characters to the point that it produced a physical, visceral, emotional reaction.
Feb 8, 2016 8:30 PM
Apr 2015
There's a lot of answers here but I want to just say this.
What has to happen to make you cry? A good plot is usual, also you probably have to get attached to the characters before something emotional happens. It's hard for people to get attached to imaginary characters, so that means the writers did a hell of a good job writing out the story.
However, does that make the show good? It depends on two things.

One is personal preference: The story may be great but you may hate the art style, or the voicing may have been a bit off. However, that shouldn't lower the experience for you if it's such a good show.
Feb 8, 2016 8:32 PM

Jun 2015
Not if the show makes me cry of cringe.
Feb 9, 2016 12:39 AM

May 2015
GeekySweetie said:
Good is subjective. Reviews are subjective. There's no such thing as an unbiased opinion. Different people like different things.

For some people, myself included, a movie (or anime) or book (or manga) which can evoke emotions from the audience indicates a few things:

1.) That the characters are engaging enough that the audience feels compelled to actually feel something or care about them

2.) That the story is also engaging so as to hold the user's attention up until the point where sad event happens

3.) That along the way, the characters are developed in such a way that may either endear them further to the audience, or that the story is developed in such a way in that the sad event may be unexpected - both of which can help illicit the desired response (crying in this case).

It's like asking if a show makes you laugh, is it good? - To some it is, who enjoy comedy. To others who want a more mature story, that's probably not a good thing.

For me, I love melodrama and tear jerkers so I would consider this a positive. (I also enjoy comedies and would consider that a positive as well). (As well as psychological anime which make you "think")

Typically anything that makes the audience FEEL something, rather it's fear, sadness, laughter, or introspection is generally a testament to the writing within the piece, because to draw on the audience's emotions many different cogs need to be turning and working together throughout the entire series.

I think it's easier to manipulate the viewer than make them laugh. Even so, just making me laugh isn't good enough for a comedy. A comedy should be more than a series of punchlines. Comedies work better when the jokes are the characters. The same goes with drama.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 9, 2016 12:57 AM

Dec 2015
you don't need to cry, it's the emotional then it's a good anime to you
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Feb 9, 2016 5:27 PM

Nov 2015
I don't cry often so if a show can manage to make me do it I give them credit. With that being said however, some shows soul objective is to make you cry even if it is by surprise. I think a show is good if the part that makes you cry and make you cry again on rewatch or if it puts you in the void. There are certain characters or scenes now I don't even want to look at because I know it will bring up those emotions again lol. Those are the shows that are good.
Feb 9, 2016 6:52 PM

Nov 2013
Depends. If it does it's because it genuinely made me care for the characters and the story which is rare, so usually it's good.

I seem to be immune to cheap emotional shots like in Hunter x Hunter and CLANNAD.
Feb 9, 2016 11:33 PM

Mar 2015
Finding an anime that makes me cry is rarer than a blue moon.
Did Clannad make me cry... Not even close.
Feb 9, 2016 11:49 PM

Apr 2015
No, I take many different factors that make a show good. However if I have a certain very passionate cry, that is normally triggered by something other than just a sad event, it is probably a very good show to me.

If I cry in a way where I'm just kind of thinking about the show as a whole and have tears of overjoy or something along those lines it's good. Similar to lotgh or maybe tatami galaxy? Those kind of did the trick.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Feb 10, 2016 12:08 AM
Jan 2016
It's not automatically make an anime good because of that, but it's definitely a plus. An emotional involvement is a good thing for every narrative, & making us cry because of it is one of the signs of emotional involvement.

For example, I cried(maybe teary-eyed is a better word for it) when I was watching Ga Rei Zero, but I do not think it's a good anime.

GeekySweetie said:

I do not know why, but I just do not like when people say this kind of thing before or after stating their opinions. It's like they want to say something & but do not want to be attacked/criticized because of it. "I think this is a bad thing & an abomination, but that's just my opinion & everything's subjective. So you cannot say I am wrong." Just saying.
Feb 10, 2016 12:14 AM

Jun 2013
One exception to my point above that I thought of is Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. Episode 9 has the "I am human" speech, one of the greatest, expertly and emotively voiced extended monologues I've ever seen in anime. It gave me chills and drew out a few tears. That scene alone made the episode a 10/10 for me, but the show on the whole was not that great. It was plagued by pacing problems, loose ends in the plot, and a disappointingly quick and anticlimactic resolution to the final conflict.
Feb 10, 2016 3:15 AM

Dec 2014
So many "Try Hard feeling Professional review critiques" in this thread.

Feb 10, 2016 3:18 AM

Apr 2008
"Crying" means a scene or two was composed good (ie: emotion, music, etc), but the entire adventure matters the most.

The weirdest things can make me cry like gundam and saint seiya.
Feb 10, 2016 3:26 AM
Jan 2015
i love clannad, but, for example Jun Maeda usually manipulates you with his "formula", it works, and it's entertaining, but it doesn't make it a 10/10 immediately, for example the ending of SAO II, i did not get invested at all with any of the characters, actually i didnt even like it, but the ending was quite sad, not crying sad, but it dwells in that territory, in the end any media it's a composition and it's all of the aspects that make it that should be taken in consideration, sometimes a cheesy story can make you cry, but you know it's cheesy and you know it's playing you, but you give it credit for doing so, so the answer is no, i consider the aspects that got me involved emotionally "good" (also it depends how emotional are you)
Feb 10, 2016 3:32 AM

May 2015
Short answer is no. Someone threw a parallel with comedies, which is a valid point: a proper drama is supposed to make you cry (that is up to you), but a few tears don't mean much on their own. I'm a bit of a wimp, and I cried at the end of Plastic memories. Still found it shit.
Feb 10, 2016 3:52 AM

Nov 2013
absolutey yes, a show that make me cry/baper (indonesian phrase) always good for me, but 'cry' is relative here, if a show like clannad make most of people cry but I don't feel anything, then I don't consider it good..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Feb 10, 2016 3:56 AM

Jan 2016
Depends on the reason why I am crying. If it has a underlying emotional aspect that I'm able to relate to and it was a well-thought out scene, then I consider it well done. But it's only one aspect of the show. There could be many other areas that would be in consideration in deciding if the show is good or not.
Feb 10, 2016 4:00 AM

Mar 2015
If you read it that you will cry you expect alot more of the anime then not knowing you will cry (PS: crying is good for your health, dont avoid it ^^)
Feb 10, 2016 4:07 AM

Oct 2014
Not all anime that can make you cry are good , clannad is an exception though.
Feb 10, 2016 4:16 AM
Jan 2016
Anonifide said:
So many "Try Hard feeling Professional review critiques" in this thread.

Please do not post a reply if you do not have anything good to say. Thank you.

-Trippwire- said:
One exception to my point above that I thought of is Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. Episode 9 has the "I am human" speech, one of the greatest, expertly and emotively voiced extended monologues I've ever seen in anime. It gave me chills and drew out a few tears. That scene alone made the episode a 10/10 for me, but the show on the whole was not that great. It was plagued by pacing problems, loose ends in the plot, and a disappointingly quick and anticlimactic resolution to the final conflict.

Ah, yes. I remember that speech. It's sad that the anime is not as good as that scene.
Feb 10, 2016 4:23 AM
Jun 2015
Depends. I mean, if I cried that obviously meant I cared for the anime at some point since nobody would cry over something they didn't care about.
Then again, I gave Blood Drive a 9 simply because I cried once even if that game was shit.
Feb 10, 2016 4:38 AM

Jan 2016
Well if it made you cry then the build up and scene were done well, so that particular scene might be brilliant, but it doesn't reflect whether the entire series is good as a whole or not.

If a scene can get you emotionally invested then they've done a good job and achieved the desired effect.
Feb 10, 2016 5:45 AM
Jul 2014
for me, yes absolutly if this anime show the emotial scenes and include endearing character.
Feb 10, 2016 6:56 AM

Sep 2011
HustensaftJunkie said:
Just because a show makes you cry doesnt mean that its good Clannad literally makes you cry with its music and dramatic scenes but that doesnt mean that those are good
I second this!!! I watched Air and cried, but I hated the series honestly XD

Oh but it is true that most of the anime I have cried to were good series >.>
Feb 10, 2016 9:34 AM

Dec 2015
Well it's gotten to the point that if I cry while watching anime is mostly likely due to hysterical laugh at how bad it is, so I guess no.

But there is interest in the question if you're crying the anime did a pretty good job to get you emotinally invested in the characters so yeah it did it's job
Feb 10, 2016 10:06 AM

May 2015
TheServant said:
It's not automatically make an anime good because of that, but it's definitely a plus. An emotional involvement is a good thing for every narrative, & making us cry because of it is one of the signs of emotional involvement.

For example, I cried(maybe teary-eyed is a better word for it) when I was watching Ga Rei Zero, but I do not think it's a good anime.

GeekySweetie said:

I do not know why, but I just do not like when people say this kind of thing before or after stating their opinions. It's like they want to say something & but do not want to be attacked/criticized because of it. "I think this is a bad thing & an abomination, but that's just my opinion & everything's subjective. So you cannot say I am wrong." Just saying.

People say this when they don't know how to back up their opinions. As if thinking something means you're entitled to it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 11, 2016 12:51 AM

Feb 2014
I wouldnt say its an isnatnt master piece but i gues a show is doing something right f it makes you cry.
But a show could also make you cry for how bad it is.
Feb 11, 2016 12:53 AM

Jan 2016
Only if they make me burst out in laughter afterwards.

Feb 11, 2016 1:01 AM

May 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
TheServant said:

People say this when they don't know how to back up their opinions. As if thinking something means you're entitled to it.

That's your opinion.

And you are entitled to it.

:)

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Feb 11, 2016 1:50 AM

May 2013
No. Take Plastic Memories for example... That show made me cry because it was emotional and did make me shed a few tears, but the entirety of the show was pretty bad. Extremely generic and the plot was a bit all over the place. I really did like the concept though.
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Feb 11, 2016 1:58 AM

Mar 2012
4blaze2it0 said:
Not neccesarily..
I'm watching Mahouka right now and i cri errytim. But no matter how much I cry the pain doesn't go away T_T
Yeah, I agree. Mahouka made me cry too. OUT OF BOREDOM!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Feb 11, 2016 7:29 AM

Mar 2014
If a show manages to make me cry tears, I'll give it extra points. So far I've only cried at 2 animes. But I tear up at the stupidest things so no, those ones I don't consider any better.
Feb 11, 2016 7:31 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, that's why Shiki and Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan are on my list.
Feb 11, 2016 7:43 AM

Nov 2015
SeibaaHomu said:
4blaze2it0 said:
Not neccesarily..
I'm watching Mahouka right now and i cri errytim. But no matter how much I cry the pain doesn't go away T_T
Yeah, I agree. Mahouka made me cry too. OUT OF BOREDOM!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You made it to the 13th episode, I couldn't get past 12.
You win..
Feb 12, 2016 10:05 AM

Jul 2015
Yes, because it moves me-- I usually like animes that toy with my emotions. Animes are boring or just plain bad if doesn't change your emotions throughout the show.
Lies. Lies. Lies.Lies. Lies. Lies.
Feb 12, 2016 12:21 PM

Sep 2015
it depends on the person
but for me if a show makes me cry than its +∞/10 (
Ex.(Angel Beats!)
Because i rarely cry over a Tv Show or An anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2016 12:50 PM

Sep 2015
If a show makes you cry then I assume the purpose of the show is to make you cry. So going into the show I know that if I cry at some point then the show did it's job. I wouldn't expect a comedy to make me cry so I wouldn't judge it like that.
Feb 12, 2016 3:37 PM
Sep 2014
if it makes me cry, it's good, but if it makes others cry it doesn't mean that it will make me cry. but yes i also shed two tears because of clannad. it's not that bad, but i think it's just like those kind of lame romance movies you see on tv. i don't know why they made an anime like this.
Feb 12, 2016 3:40 PM

Jan 2014
Yes, because it means it managed somehow to attach me emotionally, which means I care for it.
Feb 12, 2016 3:45 PM
Oct 2015
Well the anime have a lot of side stories, some of them will make you cry because of the feels,so you should totally watch it,but don't take my word as a fact you need to experience it first hand to know its good, don't base your opinion from other's own expirience
Feb 12, 2016 3:48 PM

Dec 2015
I haven't cried yet in any medium, that being film, anime, books, games, etc. Not because I'm a edgy cold hearted bastard, but because I just don't do it. It's not like I don't feel sad when there's a sad moment (my heart and chest almost always feels heavy as hell). So, if a show does make me cry, good on them.

However, if they made me cry cause some main character dies out of nowhere for no reason what so ever, then it doesn't count. That's just twisting people's emotions to get a reaction. It's the melodrama equivalent to a jumpscare.
Anime sucks.
Feb 12, 2016 4:09 PM

Jan 2016
I cried a lot when I was watching princess tutu at 11 years old xD is it count until now?
Anyway its depending on your own taste and your mood
Don't force ur self just by seeing the ratings of show :3
We did this every day that summer. There wasn’t a day we missed.

"I love you, air conditioner."
Feb 12, 2016 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
I usually hold an anime in pretty decent regard if it invokes that level of emotion in me, yes.
Feb 12, 2016 9:00 PM
Oct 2014
I haven't cry in animes like Clannad or Angel beats, but I DID in animes like FMAB or HxH, so not only the feeling is important, the chartacter development and the story is important too
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

61 by billybub »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

41 by WatchTillTandava »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
7 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

43 by animegamer245 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.