Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 5, 2016 3:25 PM

Nov 2012
Okay so I'll have around $800 saved up by March 1st. I just want some input from gamers whether its more worth it with that amount to build my own PC or buy Ps4.

From what I understand from using PC partpicker its difficult for me to get a build below $700.00 . Not sure if video cards below gtx 970 level are really worth it if you're planning on playing modern games some years into the future. But you probably know more about video cards than I do. Its by far the most expensive component of my build. Here's what I came up with :

CheapMan PC Edit Part List Edit Details Delete
Component Selection Price
CPU

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
$98.89 Buy
CPU Cooler

Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
$49.99 Buy
Motherboard

ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
$56.98 Buy
Memory

Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
$36.89 Buy
Storage

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$49.89 Buy
Video Card

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
$339.99 Buy
Case

Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
$44.99 Buy
Power Supply

EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
$9.99 Buy
Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
$87.95 Buy
Total: $775.56

Already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, headphones. PC I get higher frame rates I know. The cost sucks ass though , that above is the cost and that's without even buying any peripherals or games to go with it. I know in general buying games in steam is great b/c of the discounts and sales, and the fact that console exclusives that are worth a damn seem to be few and far between these days so you're going to be able to get 90% games that come, come out on PC.

If I go the other route I could get Ps4 and 2 games for around $508. And then I'd still have $300 to spare on whatever games might be coming out in the future like Uncharted 4 , Persona 5, FF XV. Yeah its weaker with lower framerates, but oftentimes the framerate is smooth enough for you not to care unless you're comparing it with PC side to side.

I guess a 3rd option would be to just keep saving until I can get a really powerful pc that'll last me for a long time. Might take me till next year to get enough for it but I probably would last quite a long time and not have to worry about buying newer parts to keep up with games in the next couple yeaers.

Right now I only have a Ps2 lol. I used to have other gaming systems that either got lost , traded, or sold a while ago. I have a laptop that emulates old games from GBA, DS, NES, SNES, N64, PsP, Ps1,some Ps2 games, some gamecube games , some dreamcast games. Lately I've just been sticking with Ps1 games for simplicity's sake ..

In general I like RPGs or japanese or anime related games. I hate the generic FPS genre and not into online modes that much, I like experiencing shit by myself usually unless I'm playing fighting game with my friends on occasion.

Feb 5, 2016 4:20 PM

Jul 2015
Your build looks pretty good
I'd personally fork over a little more money to replace that CPU and motherboard for an i5 and h97 respectively, and replace the gtx 970 for a cheaper r9 390 (then get a slightly higher wattage PSU to accomodate it)

Also I'd get windows 10 Pro rather than a windows 10 home OEM.
Feb 5, 2016 4:24 PM

Dec 2015
Buy that PC. Console gaming needs to die already.

Feb 5, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2013
pc is far more useful in every day life.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 5, 2016 4:39 PM

Feb 2016
You'll be hard pressed to find a lot of games worth your time on the PS4 atm. There isn't much out for it.

The PS3 would be a much better option. You'll have an abundance of RPGs and JRPGs to keep you entertained.

The PlayStation network has their own version of steam. You'll often come across flash sales of old and new titles.

As for a Gaming PC, I really can't find any games worthwhile to build one for. The PC has next to zero worthwhile exclusives. The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc all look comparable to console's.

Keep in mind Final Fantasy XV is exclusive to console's atm.
FilthyFatsoFeb 5, 2016 4:46 PM
Feb 5, 2016 4:47 PM

Jul 2015
PC; consoles are retarded these days. Also get the r9 390 over gtx 970.

With that, the only reason to get a console is when you only play once a week or you can't live without exclusives.
Feb 5, 2016 4:50 PM

Dec 2015
FilthyFatso said:
You'll be hard pressed to find a lot of games worth your time on the PS4 atm. There isn't much out for it.

The PS3 would be a much better option. You'll have an abundance of RPGs and JRPGs to keep you entertained.

The PlayStation network has their own version of steam. You'll often come across flash sales of old and new titles.

As for a Gaming PC, I really can't find any games worthwhile to build one for. The PC has next to zero worthwhile exclusives. The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc all look comparable to console's.

Keep in mind Final Fantasy XV is exclusive to console's atm.

I agree with your post, but I wouldn't recommend him buying a decade old console on life support.

Feb 5, 2016 6:00 PM

Nov 2008
Get rid of that Win10, it's a security risk since your budget doesn't allow for the Enterprise version upgrade, stick with 7, 8, or 8.1.

Feb 5, 2016 6:03 PM

Dec 2015
Hoppy said:
Get rid of that Win10, it's a security risk since your budget doesn't allow for the Enterprise version upgrade, stick with 7, 8, or 8.1.

More games are going for Win10 and its faster though. I really don't understand the hate for it since you can now turn all the security stuff off.

Feb 5, 2016 6:28 PM

Jan 2013
If you want to play current JRPGs, get a PS4.

If you're fine with waiting, get a PC. A lot of Jap companies are starting to realize how big of a market PC gaming is and are familiarizing themselves with the system. They're making a lot of horrendous ports though...
Feb 5, 2016 6:32 PM

Aug 2015
Buy a pc it is a lot better than a console
Feb 6, 2016 5:22 PM

Jul 2014
PC, though switch from AMD to Intel. I regret buying the PS4...
Feb 6, 2016 5:30 PM

Apr 2014
Ferocious_Oni said:
Hoppy said:

More games are going for Win10 and its faster though. I really don't understand the hate for it since you can now turn all the security stuff off.

People regurgitate fear talk. Without having any grasp on how things actually work. Just parroting misinformation. Windows 10 is superior to any other windows version. Even if it doesn't work on 10, there is compatibility modes to launch things in.

The only problem would be the auto updates not being able to be turned off. Which I can understand. But people quote things like "muh internet is constantly connected to microsoft". Well yeah. It's done that since like XP.
Feb 6, 2016 5:41 PM

Nov 2014
@midnightblade, to help you:

Do you play with friend?
If yes,
Where do they play?
Pick that.

Feb 6, 2016 8:17 PM

Aug 2013
While I like my PS4 always side with PC they really are superior in all respects except maybe comfort if you have a couch rather than hunched over a computer desk. Really depends what you do, if you work and only have a few hour a night go for the ps4.
Feb 7, 2016 12:54 PM

Dec 2015
I3+750ti combo. Ditch AMD if you are planning to upgrade. Save the left over money and upgrade only things you actually needs. Don't go all out, because you'll probably ragret.

Good luck

Feb 7, 2016 1:44 PM

Feb 2014
AMD processors aren't that good , try to raise more money and buy a good Intel processor.
Feb 7, 2016 2:32 PM

Mar 2008
You won't be able to make a good PC, get a good monitor, and buy games with that much. So I'd say either buy a PS4 or save up more money. If you haven't played the PS3 games, getting a PS3 would be an even more economical choice.
Feb 7, 2016 3:03 PM

Feb 2014
W10 is a free upgrade from Microsoft, so IDK why you want to purchase it.

I would forego the liquid cooler and use the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or 212 Evo. If you're not going to overclock, the liquid cooler is a waste of money.

And where the heck are you buying a $10 500W Evga Power Supply?! Hook me up!
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Feb 7, 2016 3:21 PM

Jan 2012
Liquid cooling is not necessary , a good air cooled case will be more than sufficient if you aren't planning to overclock. You can always add the water cooling at a later stage if you were to save up some more money.

I would try to get an i5 with compatible Motherboard instead of the AMD. Even if you have to ditch the water cooling and were to get a R9 390 (More cost effective and cheaper).

I would say definitely go for PC at this stage. PS4 and Xbox One are already struggling with many of the latest AA games , and it won't surprise me if we see a next iteration of both consoles within the next 2-3 years. PC also allows you to do more than just game on it which is always a bonus , and the sheer amount of money you save from steam sales really adds up down the line.
Feb 7, 2016 8:59 PM

Jan 2016
Get a PC, so much better and plus you can watch heaps of anime on it ;)
Feb 8, 2016 2:13 AM

Apr 2015
I would be pretty scared with that AMD processor though, i had a bad experience with them
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2016 2:24 AM
May 2009
Depends what you plan to do with the PC. I mean if it is just for games it seems overkill, unless the games you plan to play are going to be Spec Demanding.

Also you would need to work out if you are that big a gamer, if you aren't its a waste of money.
Feb 8, 2016 3:12 AM

Jul 2014
An i5-4460 based system will get you more gaming performance without an overclock than that FX-6300 will going balls to the wall, and cost the same with an H97 motherboard (Ignore Skylake) since you won't need the liquid cooler, or any third party cooler, for that matter.

And for god's sake get an R9 390 instead of that GTX 970. An XFX R9 390 is $55 cheaper than the cheapest 970 right now and outperforms it at pretty much everything.
Red_TuesdayFeb 8, 2016 3:16 AM

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 4 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
4 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
5 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
9 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
9 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.