Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 4, 2016 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
@Jonny_Mhl Oh boy. Here we go. I don't particularily dislike the show, I just critizised one of its aspects. However it does definitely explain why you're so defensive about the topic, jumping right to insults in your very first post.

Look. The thing is: Ep. 5 says that a man, from a priviliged family and most likely a happy marriage gets
1) Caught by (apparently) having stolen a single bar of chocolate which is worth practically nothing.
ASSUMING they live in a highly traditionalist part of Japan (which most likely they don't) I can aggree with them calling the police after having an argument.
2) He gets divorced from his wife or rather what we can assume was a -happy- marriage. That is just alltogether very weird. Not only would the wife have to assume that he actually stole a chocolate bar (and let's be honest: Why would he do that) -> and secondly, she would have to care more about the deed than the actual worth of his theft.
^-- This is just implausible and plain bad writing.
If they explained the background of the family in a bit more detail - maybe, just maybe it would be explainable. But as it stands this is just a bit of forced drama for a sidecharacter. Such a strong rection cannot simpley assumed to be a norm and not be questioned.

So. Please tell me. What part did I not understand?
Feb 4, 2016 12:52 PM

Feb 2015
You musn't mess around with airi or you will turn out to be like that guy XD
Seriously A-1Picture, Spare me with the cliffhanger!!!! the cliffhanger strikes again. i guess airi will die. and i'm going to be honest here, wtf she just opened the door while she already know there was a fire going one besided that door. why didn't she just get out from that fucking room through window...!!!

I'm very curious right now about the culprit.
looking foward to the next episode.
sorry for bad english.
Feb 4, 2016 12:56 PM

Jan 2013
Airi best grill confirmed
Feb 4, 2016 12:56 PM

Apr 2014
JustArsan said:
maybe, just maybe it would be explainable
this is why anime fans have gone down in quality in terms of critical thinking

everything that isnt spoonfed exposition = bad

just use ur brain and look at how the scene was shot, they have a small little shop, they cut into a country scenery, it basically telling u how traditional things are.
Feb 4, 2016 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
moodie said:
JustArsan said:
maybe, just maybe it would be explainable

just use ur brain and look at how the scene was shot, they have a small little shop, they cut into a country scenery, it basically telling u how traditional things are.

Doesn't have to be spoonfed. It's just very important to the character, so I can ask for details, can't I? Seems to have bothered a bunch of people.
It's not that it destroys the whole show. It just struck me as odd.
Feb 4, 2016 1:01 PM

Apr 2014
JustArsan said:
moodie said:

Doesn't have to be spoonfed. It's just very important to the character, so I can ask for details, can't I? Seems to have bothered a bunch of people.
i just told u how they framed it to make u realize why it isnt that far fetched.

and if 100 ppl are stupid im not going to excuse ppl for being stupid. it seems like a lot of ppl here havent had much experience outside their own little comfy lives. so seeing how theft is being over exaggerated, what ppl are thinking here, it shows the inexperience within ppls lives.

im not going to deny that at first it did come off as odd but after looking at things from a cultural scale what i think is odd doesnt make it odd to others.
Feb 4, 2016 1:02 PM

Dec 2015
JustArsan said:
moodie said:

Airi's family seemed to be very poor. And they lived in a very rural town. So that little chocolate accident ( accused theft) made him lose his job. And thing leading to another (like family problems and whatnot like how the father would sustain the family) that probably led into the divorce. Some families would even be destroyed for less than that though.
Feb 4, 2016 1:05 PM

Sep 2014
This was a good episode right up to the ending, which I'm extremely annoyed. If I saw smoke coming out of my door I would climb out the window. There was a window right behind her.

Really hoping she isn't dead, but if she is I won't be that upset since SHE OPENED THE DOOR.
Feb 4, 2016 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
moodie said:
JustArsan said:

i just told u how they framed it to make u realize why it isnt that far fetched.

and if 100 ppl are stupid im not going to excuse ppl for being stupid. it seems like a lot of ppl here havent had much experience outside their own little comfy lives. so seeing how theft is being over exaggerated, what ppl are thinking here, it shows the inexperience within ppls lives.

im not going to deny that at first it did come off as odd but after looking at things from a cultural scale what i think is odd doesnt make it odd to others.

Likewise I just don't take something harsh as a family breakup over something most people would consider a non-issue for granted.
What I wanted to see was more detail, the anime would have to explain the circumstances. That doesn't make people who want to critizise that stupid.
We just don't know enough about their family situation to refer to cultural background.

Be it far-fetched or not - the issue is, that it was just explained within a minute of a flashback. Depending on how much impact the scene will have on her character in future episodes this could become a more pronounced flaw.

I'm not as ignorant as to say that the scene is completely illogical. This wasn't my argument to begin with.

Asking for detail doesn't equal spoonfed exposition.
Feb 4, 2016 1:07 PM

Apr 2014
KonoYume said:
JustArsan said:

Airi's family seemed to be very poor. And they lived in a very rural town. So that little chocolate accident ( accused theft) made him lose his job. And thing leading to another (like family problems and whatnot like how the father would sustain the family) that probably led into the divorce. Some families would even be destroyed for less than that though.
thx for summing that up for me nicely i really didnt want to spoondfeed that information. it seems like ppl arent willing to understand different perceptive which makes me have such a signature on this forum.
Feb 4, 2016 1:08 PM

Apr 2014
JustArsan said:
moodie said:

Likewise I just don't take something harsh as a family breakup over something most people would consider a non-issue for granted.
What I wanted to see was more detail, the anime would have to explain the circumstances. That doesn't make people who want to critizise that stupid.
We just don't know enough about their family situation to refer to cultural background.

Be it far-fetched or not - the issue is, that it was just explained within a minute of a flashback. Depending on how much impact the scene will have on her character in future episodes this could become a more pronounced flaw.

I'm not as ignorant as to say that the scene is completely illogical. This wasn't my argument to begin with.

Asking for detail doesn't equal spoonfed exposition.
if u want more detail id say read the manga it actually has a lot of scene that are cut from the anime (like most adaptions in general since they arent carbon copies).
Feb 4, 2016 1:08 PM

May 2009
Christ guys, Airi told about her past from her perpective, she was a little kids so she probably didn't understand whole that situation that lead to leaving of her father.
Unreliable narrator.
Feb 4, 2016 1:10 PM

Nov 2014
They're changing its and bits from the source,still, barely noticeable. Can we expect a 100% loyal adaptation?

Feb 4, 2016 1:12 PM
Jan 2015
Smudy said:
Ultranumbed said:

She realized that it was the killer though. Also, why would anyone stay still if they can tell that their house is on fire? Just get the hell away from the source, not go towards it.

It wouldnt have made a difference, explosion would have killed (we dont know if she is) her regardless of what she did. Killer knows that Airi trusts Satoru.

I suppose the explosion could have killed her, yeah. But she does know that it's not Satoru who sent her the message. 20:51 "No! It's from the killer!"
Feb 4, 2016 1:15 PM

May 2014
ep1 : meh and w&s
ep2 : why not, few rolling eyes moments, has potential, w&s
ep3 : meh *rolling eyes*
ep4 : why not but a bit boring
ep5 : meh

A-1 strikes again.

Edit: few explanations: boring one-dimensional bad mother who hits her way-too-smart-and-deep daughter with a smile, random girl coming out of nowhere to help the MC because of her stupid backstory with her stupid father, boring and lazy cinematography, and so on. Also, may I ask for a little more subtle presentation ?
parazeFeb 4, 2016 1:29 PM
Feb 4, 2016 1:15 PM

Aug 2013
Cyanwasserstoff said:
Lelouch0202 said:

If anything I'm still in the dark about the killer's motives, Can't seem to find a proper motive as to why the killer murdered Satoru's Mom.

She knew him, thats why. After she did saw him to try to capture that little girl, she started to think about his identity. And then she was sure about that Satoru's friend Yuki would not be the killer. She did recognize the real killer in the situation where he tried to capture another girl in the park.

She most likely would become a thread and he did solve the problem on his way.

That's the point of the mystery of this show,
Feb 4, 2016 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
bastek66 said:
Christ guys, Airi told about her past from her perpective, she was a little kids so she probably didn't understand whole that situation that lead to leaving of her father.
Unreliable narrator.

That actually makes a whole lot more sense.

Also referring to the manga in this case would just prove the criticism of the writing if that scene turns out to be as massive of an influence on Airi as we can assume it is.
Feb 4, 2016 1:16 PM

May 2015
Harlequina said:
Levian-X said:
Did anyone else catch this during the Opening..?

People have been talking about seeing some major things in the opening (and made threads about it), so I've refrained from watching it... not gonna risk checking your spoiler box either.

Unless you look at the still, or slow down the OP, you won't notice what he's talking about. Not watching an OP because of a split-second spoiler you can barely see is stupid.

Feb 4, 2016 1:21 PM
Jan 2014
JustArsan said:
@Jonny_Mhl Oh boy. Here we go. I don't particularily dislike the show, I just critizised one of its aspects. However it does definitely explain why you're so defensive about the topic, jumping right to insults in your very first post.

Look. The thing is: Ep. 5 says that a man, from a priviliged family and most likely a happy marriage gets
1) Caught by (apparently) having stolen a single bar of chocolate which is worth practically nothing.
ASSUMING they live in a highly traditionalist part of Japan (which most likely they don't) I can aggree with them calling the police after having an argument.
2) He gets divorced from his wife or rather what we can assume was a -happy- marriage. That is just alltogether very weird. Not only would the wife have to assume that he actually stole a chocolate bar (and let's be honest: Why would he do that) -> and secondly, she would have to care more about the deed than the actual worth of his theft.
If they explained the background of the family in a bit more detail - maybe, just maybe it would be explainable. But as it stands this is just a bit of forced drama for a sidecharacter. Such a strong rection cannot simpley assumed to be a norm and not be questioned.

You are thinking about it all wrong. The theft of the chocolate bar is not the issue. Losing three months of pay because he got kicked out of the co-op is. That's probably the main reason why his wife divorced him.

Financial problems are the first cause of divorce almost anywhere. In a concervative area where being able to provide for your family is what makes a man a man, thats even more important.

Also when you spend all day at home there are many more opportunities to see what bothers you about the other and get into arguments. Maybe the wife was mad because she thinks he should have confessed to keep is job, even if he didn't do it. All that stress is probably what made it all blow up.
Feb 4, 2016 1:22 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Rewatched the episode, they made it obvious who the killer is.
Feb 4, 2016 1:23 PM

May 2013
Is it normal to divorce after being suspended for the attempted theft ?
Feb 4, 2016 1:24 PM

Sep 2010
I was not ready for this.
Feb 4, 2016 1:24 PM

Dec 2015
bastek66 said:
Unreliable narrator.

Well why would her father leave and never come back if it wasn't that the family broke up? I mean she lived it first hand as the daughter. So her point of view stands somehow no?
Feb 4, 2016 1:26 PM

Apr 2014
Weakest episode so far, and the animation quality definitely dropped. Seems like they're putting more effort in the 1988 segments and just blowing through the 2006 parts.
Feb 4, 2016 1:27 PM

Apr 2014
Hisokath said:
They're changing its and bits from the source,still, barely noticeable. Can we expect a 100% loyal adaptation?
reading 4 chapters in because i dont want to spoil myself i can see why they are omitting things but honestly i can see more cutting and rushing in the future

which i dont mind but its more than a little cutting
Feb 4, 2016 1:27 PM

Jul 2015
This is how you tell an amazing story. Speechless episode after episode. It's incredible.
Feb 4, 2016 1:28 PM

May 2015
Airi says "are you stupid", like Kayo does.
Love this anime until now, can't wait a week !! argh
Feb 4, 2016 1:30 PM

Jul 2012
The killer/child abductor has to have some kind of connection with the police. Being able to easily pin the crime on someone else is probably the reason to how he's gotten away with so many abductions.

Noo, don't burn the pizza girl D:
Feb 4, 2016 1:34 PM

Jul 2009
JustArsan said:

It looks like you don't undestand at all, but since you posted with more details I try to give it a go:

1- I'm going to tell you something that I've watched in the news a few weeks ago: A 32 year old woman stole a candy from a supermarket and was caught in the act, she spent 20 YEARS in prison because of the theft.
Sounds harsh isn't? It sounds ridiculous for me but I can turn on my Tv and watch something like this from times to times because things like this are common in my country and it tends to happen all the time.

Now back to the store problem, being a highly traditionalist part of Japan or not, this doesn't mean the owner of the store can't call the police nor if the guy isn't culprit, as you can see they both argued and screamed at each other and calling the police was the right thing to do and by doing it you know what will happen to his reputation.

2- Looks like you don't know how the japanese people pick heavily on this, some families on Japan put their tradition and honor above everything else, they put it above their own family and I wouldn't be surprised if his wife is one of this type.
Feb 4, 2016 1:39 PM

Nov 2011
pretty much this episode

but why did airi opened the door, that was dumb.
Baby, daijobanai...
Feb 4, 2016 1:39 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
There are way too many people being stuck up with the chocolate bar story. It's easy to understand if you actually think.
Feb 4, 2016 1:41 PM

Jul 2014
Harlequina said:

... So it's this guy then? The one on the right? "Nishizono". Unless... it's another fucking red herring. But no, I don't think so. It's probably this guy, whoever he is.
It's likely that he is the one.

Then who he is? Satoru's mom recognized him immediately. So I have two suspects.

The first one is the teacher.

The second one is the guy from TV.
Feb 4, 2016 1:45 PM

Oct 2014
Tokoya said:
Seeing things go from bad to worse really makes me sad

Kayo's mom pissing me the fuck off yet again, Kayo disappearing and dying, Satoru coming back to the present to see that all of the deaths hasn't changed, this stupid suspect crap and now fucking Airi (I love her so much) is probably going to die too (I had a feeling this was gonna happen)

FML.....All of this stuff is too depressing dammit TwT....Also it looks like being a pedophile is common in this series since even the damn pizza manager is one too

However, something that caught my eye was the whole "Are you stupid" lines from Airi.....That cannot be just a coincidence and for some reason I feel like she's defintely related to Kayo but I just don't know how yet

I agree with so much of that and your last comment actually about the relation to Kayo scared me, when you look at Airi's age, Kayo's age at the dissapearance and how long it's been since then. I really hope she isn't Kayo's daughter.

But my God this anime is good it's been a while since I've been able to give a 10 to a currently airing anime
Feb 4, 2016 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
Jonny_Mhl said:
JustArsan said:

It looks like you don't undestand at all, but since you posted with more details I try to give it a go:

1- I'm going to tell you something that I've watched in the news a few weeks ago: A 32 year old woman stole a candy from a supermarket and was caught in the act, she spent 20 YEARS in prison because of the theft.
Sounds harsh isn't? It sounds ridiculous for me but I can turn on my Tv and watch something like this from times to times because things like this are common in my country and it tends to happen all the time.

Now back to the store problem, being a highly traditionalist part of Japan or not, this doesn't mean the owner of the store can't call the police nor if the guy isn't culprit, as you can see they both argued and screamed at each other and calling the police was the right thing to do and by doing it you know what will happen to his reputation.

2- Looks like you don't know how the japanese people pick heavily on this, some families on Japan put their tradition and honor above everything else, they put it above their own family and I wouldn't be surprised if his wife is one of this type.

It looks to me more like we just write past each other, as the previous posts all just about summed up what was already written time and time again.
Aight. I'll keep this short:
I never claimed, that the scene was absolutely illogical. What I claimed was, that the presentation was bad. I don't know where you're from and it doesn't really matter to the subject at hand. Of course stuff like this happens at places - Legal action is one thing
BUT to assume that a seemingly happy family would break-up because of a theft (not necessarily the effect resulting from that theft / but this could be just as likely the pov from Airi as a girl, which I'd think is much more likely) can't be accepted as the norm. It would be, if the viewer would know more about their background and would not be forced to generalise how any family values aspects like love, reputation, living conditions; and so on.

Personally I like the theories that either it was just the POV from Airi as a child or that there was much more going on in the background and the theft and the resulting penalty was just the trigger for their conflict - however this isn't shown as of yet to the viewer. Which is an important detail.
Feb 4, 2016 1:49 PM

Aug 2015
So her fathers life was ruined by a chocolate bar.. I would've thrown the extra 3$ the thing would've costed and left.

Also facepalmed when she opened the door in her house during the fire, I'm not a fire expert but isn't hat common sense not to give the fire more oxygen.? The window was the best option by far, even if there was a drop.
Feb 4, 2016 1:51 PM

Dec 2014
Daaamn, i was kinda caught off guard with him just returning like that, wich was really cool, though considering him needing a trigger to go back in time to fix things, and of course the OP, what happened there at the end, i kinda saw coming when he got back to the present. Also also the conversation with the manager and the mega suspicious guy just makes even turn towards the teacher being the serial killer
Feb 4, 2016 1:51 PM

Mar 2014
Pizza guy lookslike Yuuki. Just saying.

DONT DIE GENERATION-Y-CHAN!
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Feb 4, 2016 1:52 PM

Jul 2012
Cliffhangers, why must you exist?! Great episode overall though! And enjoying the continuous buildup which I hope won't disappoint in the end.
Feb 4, 2016 1:53 PM

Feb 2014

^^^Kayo's dead body in her parents house.

So either they did it, they were part of it, or they found her and had to get rid of the body for unknown reasons.

They acted like she was missing for a day, so they didn't keep her body for the police, they must have taken it somewhere and it was found later.

Boots near the shed, is it possible she froze to death...? Or did the killer leave her there?
Feb 4, 2016 1:54 PM

Jul 2015
That cliffhanger though... That person in the black suit that the manager was talking to seems sketch af. I honestly have no idea what's going to happen, the suspense is killing me.
Feb 4, 2016 2:01 PM
May 2013
smh i already knew the mc was gonna be a little b*tch. why cant we have more INTJs/ENTJs up in the b*tch instead of this INFJ/ISFJ sh*t

yep this show is trash idk why you all rate it so high. its nothing special at all
anime_master111Feb 4, 2016 2:17 PM
Feb 4, 2016 2:04 PM

Jan 2015
Smudy said:
Rewatched the episode, they made it obvious who the killer is.

Well, I didn't have to re watch the episode to understand who killer was, since it was pretty obvius.
Feb 4, 2016 2:09 PM

Mar 2013
Kittens-kun said:
Harlequina said:

People have been talking about seeing some major things in the opening (and made threads about it), so I've refrained from watching it... not gonna risk checking your spoiler box either.

Unless you look at the still, or slow down the OP, you won't notice what he's talking about. Not watching an OP because of a split-second spoiler you can barely see is stupid.

I didn't actually know that, you know? In case it wasn't obvious, I've refrained from going into any of those threads as well.
Feb 4, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2014
JustArsan said:
Jonny_Mhl said:

It looks to me more like we just write past each other, as the previous posts all just about summed up what was already written time and time again.
I never claimed, that the scene was absolutely illogical. What I claimed was, that the presentation was bad. I don't know where you're from and it doesn't really matter to the subject at hand. Of course stuff like this happens at places - Legal action is one thing
BUT to assume that a seemingly happy family would break-up because of a theft (not necessarily the effect resulting from that theft / but this could be just as likely the pov from Airi as a girl, which I'd think is much more likely) can't be accepted as the norm. It would be, if the viewer would know more about their background and would not be forced to generalise how any family values aspects like love, reputation, living conditions; and so on.

Personally I like the theories that either it was just the POV from Airi as a child or that there was much more going on in the background and the theft and the resulting penalty was just the trigger for their conflict - however this isn't shown as of yet to the viewer. Which is an important detail.

I'm totally with you hear. After being completely absorbed with the majority of the episode I lost my shit after seeing this. I totally understand why they would want to give Airi's motivations for helping Satoru (I mean the dude is currently suspected of murder), but it was done in such a retarded manner. Imao the writer could have come up with any story that he wanted to to explain Airi's tendency to believe people, but after seeing the flash back all i could think of is how one man's life was completely destroyed over a single chocolate bar. Theres absolutely no gravity to that, with how meaningless the whole situation was and its supposed impact on who Airi is it would make more sense if she became jaded over how life could fuck you up at any moment as opposed to simply wanting to believe in people.
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Feb 4, 2016 2:11 PM
Apr 2015
in the opening it foreshadows who will die like that part where they're showing all of the girls then in the background you see satoru then it changes from satoru to the killer basically saying all the girls that he's gotten close to during the duration of this show will die (well all the important ones at least) anyway since i'm on my phone atm I can't post the picture of that scene from the opening so could someone do it for me?
PNDRetroFeb 4, 2016 2:17 PM
Feb 4, 2016 2:14 PM

Aug 2014
This episode was meh meh meh.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 4, 2016 2:16 PM

Aug 2014
Episodes 2, 3 and 4 were pretty strong but I don't have faith that this show will pull off it's overarching mystery very well.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 4, 2016 2:22 PM

Jul 2013
Yea, another enjoyable episode. Kayo's parents need to fucking die.
Feb 4, 2016 2:23 PM

Nov 2008
JustArsan said:

Accused theft leads to destroyed honor/reputation
Destroyed honor/reputation leads to loss of job
Loss of job leads to no income
No income leads to unable to support the family
Unable to support the family leads to more stressors about marriage
More stressors about marriage leads to divorce
I think the presentation was clear enough... Unless you haven't exposed to this kind of culture. Then again, this show is intended for Japanese which they know their culture/tradition. It is up to us non Japanese to understand in order to be more culturally competent

Moral of the story? Don't steal chocolate

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Feb 4, 2016 2:26 PM
Apr 2015
i thought there were body parts in the bag. such a let down xD

since the changes back then changed Airi's life too she (her parents) has connections to the past. interesting.

so we now know that the bad guy is a police-politician-something? (i don't have a clue under whose jurisdiction that would fall.) it was pretty obvious with the whole you-can't-see-his-face-thing.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2016

1399 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

1108 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2016

900 by bakakisima »»
Apr 12, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2016

498 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2016

581 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 12:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.