Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 29, 2016 7:30 AM

Nov 2013
Why are there so many anime that don't get the popularity they deserve? I have been looking around and have come across many and even some that are completely ignored by MAL. What makes a show blow up in popularity so fast while other shows which are just as good get left behind? Why do people tend to ignore good shows even when they are top 100 potential.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 29, 2016 7:37 AM

Feb 2013
as always, examples would be nice

are you thinking of shounenshit vs niche shows by chance?
Jan 29, 2016 7:40 AM

Dec 2015
Atleast 1 example would be great m8. Try again.

RobiiiiJan 29, 2016 7:54 AM
Jan 29, 2016 7:41 AM

Jan 2013
P3B1G5 said:
What makes a show blow up in popularity so fast while other shows which are just as good get left behind?
The studio which makes it, the hype and the source material (whether its well known or original or whatever)
Jan 29, 2016 7:44 AM
Jan 2016
as stated above, please provide examples. If you were looking for other people's opinions on what underrated anime were, you should've outright said so. If that's the case here, then I can give you one I find underrated, which would be One Piece. Just because it's one of the longer ongoing series out there doesn't make it bad.
Jan 29, 2016 7:46 AM
Nov 2015
P3B1G5 said:
Why are there so many anime that don't get the popularity they deserve? I have been looking around and have come across many and even some that are completely ignored by MAL. What makes a show blow up in popularity so fast while other shows which are just as good get left behind? Why do people tend to ignore good shows even when they are top 100 potential.

insert all harem/ecchi series....
Jan 29, 2016 7:50 AM

Jan 2016
ZarosianLegend said:
as stated above, please provide examples. If you were looking for other people's opinions on what underrated anime were, you should've outright said so. If that's the case here, then I can give you one I find underrated, which would be One Piece. Just because it's one of the longer ongoing series out there doesn't make it bad.

Isn't One Piece very popular? One of my friends once told me it was the most (if not one of the most) popular anime in Japan although I'm not sure.
Jan 29, 2016 7:51 AM

Sep 2014
P3B1G5 said:
Why do people tend to ignore good shows even when they are top 100 potential.

1. Because people tend to hype too much on specific things.

Remember when Shigatsu was still airing on the same period as Shirobako. The episodes of Shigatsu weren't even as good as the Shirobako's ones.

2. Because people think that Madhouse makes good anime while they aren't particularly good.
Jan 29, 2016 7:52 AM
Jan 2016
xxLittleCr0w said:
P3B1G5 said:

insert all harem/ecchi series....

I have to disagree, some of them are overrated in my mind, like HighSchool of the Dead. Fanservice is no excuse for lack of actual story development or rushed storyline.
Jan 29, 2016 7:52 AM

Dec 2015
I'll give MY IDEA of some underrappreciated anime:

cat soup
kaiba
water brain
angel's egg
rainbow (though it is rated high, I don't see too many people talk about it)
josuke higashikata <<Not an anime, but people don't talk about him enough.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 29, 2016 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
Naranja128 said:
ZarosianLegend said:

Isn't One Piece very popular? One of my friends once told me it was the most (if not one of the most) popular anime in Japan although I'm not sure.

It's one of the most selling manga too. It isn't underrated by any sense of the word.

Examples of overlooked shows would be: Betterman and Moribito
Jan 29, 2016 7:56 AM
Jan 2016
GreenSoap said:
Naranja128 said:

It's one of the most selling manga too. It isn't underrated by any sense of the word.

okay I'll admit that perhaps One Piece wasn't exactly the best example to pick, however I still feel that its length is one of the biggest reasons why certain series are overlooked.
Jan 29, 2016 9:00 AM

Nov 2015
P3B1G5 said:
What makes a show blow up in popularity so fast while other shows which are just as good get left behind? Why do people tend to ignore good shows even when they are top 100 potential.

Its all about the money brah...
Bigger studios are more well known because of their higher production quality and wider distribution and hence more popularity..
Jan 30, 2016 1:34 AM

May 2015
There's a lot of competition, and a lot of people. Many of them do not think like you. There's a lot of anime that I love but can understand why it's not popular. It just doesn't fit with general sentiments of the People.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 30, 2016 1:50 AM

Oct 2015
Favorite lesser known anime is A Certain magical index. I mean cmon it gives us an awesome setting and characters like this

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Jan 30, 2016 1:55 AM

Jun 2013
ZarosianLegend said:
GreenSoap said:

okay I'll admit that perhaps One Piece wasn't exactly the best example to pick, however I still feel that its length is one of the biggest reasons why certain series are overlooked.

Isn't it quite the opposite? Look at all the long running shows, they are the most populars out there.
Jan 30, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2013
Hrybami said:
P3B1G5 said:

2. Because people think that Madhouse makes good anime while they aren't particularly good.

the graphics on your list gave me aids i apologize i couldn't figure out the severity of your shit taste
Jan 30, 2016 2:19 AM

Jul 2014
Give us examples, can't exactly talk about anything without one.
Jan 30, 2016 2:24 AM

Oct 2013
4blaze2it0 said:
P3B1G5 said:
What makes a show blow up in popularity so fast while other shows which are just as good get left behind? Why do people tend to ignore good shows even when they are top 100 potential.

Its all about the money brah...
Bigger studios are more well known because of their higher production quality and wider distribution and hence more popularity..

Nah, that's such a shallow reason really. Yes, there is some truth to what you are saying but that isn't the main reason. I could name a lot of anime that has high production quality and is made by a popular studio but still flops. The main reason is simple the anime having a wide appeal + something about it that makes it stands out from the rest.

Some series that people claim to be underrated may have something unique about them that makes them stand out, but at the same time they don't have a wide appeal. If the series doesn't have a wide appeal then it won't get popular.
Jan 30, 2016 2:24 AM

Jul 2014
PraetorPat said:
Favorite lesser known anime is A Certain magical index. I mean cmon it gives us an awesome setting and characters like this

Index is pretty popular... as far as the anime goes, it's not that good, but it was #70-ish in popularity last time I checked.

Uchouten Kazoku is under appreciated af. It's somewhere in the 800s for popularity and it's ranked in the 500s for score... I loved it though.
Jan 30, 2016 2:44 AM

Sep 2015
We're talking about scores on MAL, yes?

Studio that makes it (goes both way. One leads to under-appreciated. The other to over-hyped). Source material. In the case of source material, I've experienced that here on MAL otoge anime adaptions are generally perceived as 'shitty', no matter how decent they actually are.
Hrybami said:

Remember when Shigatsu was still airing on the same period as Shirobako. The episodes of Shigatsu weren't even as good as the Shirobako's ones.

Exactly.
Jan 30, 2016 3:06 AM

Apr 2013
Ioryogi-kun said:
Wñ In the case of source material, I've experienced that here on MAL otoge anime adaptions are generally perceived as 'shitty', no matter how decent they actually are.

This is so true about otome game adaptations.

Well,I personally see that the general taste here on MAL(and also in the west mostly) is very action oriented. So anything shonen/action (or even better:seinen,gore,adult characters) is going to get more hype than a show about schoolgirls or Slice of Life.
Jan 30, 2016 3:10 AM

May 2014
I think Guilty Crown is pretty under-appreciated anime. Considering the time it aired it's art and sound were amazing. If you can look past the characters and story the art and sound really picks up where they slacked off.
Jan 30, 2016 3:15 AM

Jan 2016
If you're looking for something that doesn't get enough attention, i'd say Shin Sekai Yori doesn't get nearly enough.

While I've only read the LNs myself, i've heard that the anime adaptation was very well done, and haven't heard it mentioned outside this website before. It might get a bit hentai-y, but i don't think they'd be very outright with it in the anime.
Jan 30, 2016 3:26 AM

Sep 2014
In terms of shonen, I think Magi is underrated.
Jan 30, 2016 3:28 AM

Sep 2014
Perseid said:
If you're looking for something that doesn't get enough attention, i'd say Shin Sekai Yori doesn't get nearly enough.

While I've only read the LNs myself, i've heard that the anime adaptation was very well done, and haven't heard it mentioned outside this website before. It might get a bit hentai-y, but i don't think they'd be very outright with it in the anime.

Yeah Shin Sekai Yori is largely unknown too.
Jan 30, 2016 7:41 AM
Jan 2016
metsujin said:
ZarosianLegend said:

Isn't it quite the opposite? Look at all the long running shows, they are the most populars out there.

True, but there's quite a few anime enthusiasts who still get deterred from giving shows a chance based on length, sometimes because of slow-seeming character development at points...
Jan 30, 2016 7:45 AM

Jun 2013
ZarosianLegend said:
metsujin said:

True, but there's quite a few anime enthusiasts who still get deterred from giving shows a chance based on length, sometimes because of slow-seeming character development at points...

It's only natural that character development is slower in longer series. Some people just don't want to get invested, because of the time they'd put into it, so it's easier to watch something that has fewer episodes.
Jan 30, 2016 7:55 AM
Jan 2016
metsujin said:
ZarosianLegend said:

It's only natural that character development is slower in longer series. Some people just don't want to get invested, because of the time they'd put into it, so it's easier to watch something that has fewer episodes.

I don't disagree with you there, about people not willing to invest time amd/or effort, but even so- I just think that animes should be given a shot regardless of whether it is 12 episodes or 1200+ episodes. My personal preference would lean towards the longer series, however I do find a "hidden gem" in my eyes every now and then with the shorter series.
Jan 30, 2016 8:05 AM

Jun 2013
ZarosianLegend said:
metsujin said:

I don't disagree with you there, about people not willing to invest time amd/or effort, but even so- I just think that animes should be given a shot regardless of whether it is 12 episodes or 1200+ episodes. My personal preference would lean towards the longer series, however I do find a "hidden gem" in my eyes every now and then with the shorter series.

But all of that is up to 'you' as an individual, choosing wether to watch longer shows, or stick to the usual one or two cours anime, so it's all subjective. Personally I prefer anime that are between 25-100 episodes. I think 20+ episodes for a anime are suficient to make something good.
Jan 30, 2016 8:06 AM

Oct 2015
I'd agree with those who say hype is a big factor - a lot of people tend to gravitate towards those shows that are popular and highly rated on here because they figure that they must be worth watching.

For the lesser known shows and those which are lower score-wise, people can mistakenly think they are not worth the effort. Most people don't have a ton of time afterall to spend exploring the MAL database and discovering all the hidden gems. Of course, those who do are justly rewarded :D

Example: recently found the very underwatched Zipang by complete chance - it is now a firm favourite. For those of us who have found underrated/underwatched anime it is our duty to spread the word! ;)
Jan 30, 2016 8:07 AM
Dec 2015
While it isn't necessarily underated, I would vouch for Accel World. SAO is all the craze right now, so people sometimes overlook this series. I think users will get around to watching more obscure anime when they have finally caught up with the new. Besides, the top 100 and top 500 have a plethora of ranging series, so they'll eventually get a taste of all kinds of genres and be able to reach out to others from there.
Jan 30, 2016 8:15 AM

Aug 2015
Gangsta.
Gangsta.
Gangsta.
Gangsta.

Jan 30, 2016 8:31 AM

Mar 2014
Only room for one hype show a season I guess, Shigatsu, OPM, Boku Dake, and I'm sure we'll get another one next season.

Definitely Kaiba, Humanity has Declined is pretty great so far and I've never heard a single person here mention it.

EDIT: Noragami Aragoto and Haikyuu are both in the top 100 despite airing alongside the hyped OPM. There are other examples such as 7 Deadly Sins airing at the same time as Shigatsu.
merryfistmasJan 30, 2016 8:42 AM
Jan 30, 2016 8:49 AM

Sep 2015
Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kemonozume and Area 88 are underrated imo.

I heard Zegapain and Terra E are also pretty good, but I haven't seen them.
Jan 30, 2016 9:08 AM

Jun 2015
Klad said:
P3B1G5 said:
What makes a show blow up in popularity so fast while other shows which are just as good get left behind?
The studio which makes it, the hype and the source material (whether its well known or original or whatever)

You forgot to add "stupidity of the masses".
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 31, 2016 7:17 AM

Jul 2015
School Days

To get so much hate for being original...

Jan 31, 2016 8:11 AM

Nov 2012
Piromysl said:
School Days

A generic high-school rom-com going for a bad ending for the sake of shock value isn't a good form of originality mate.
Jan 31, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2013
Binbougami Ga is hilarious and needs more recognition.
Jan 31, 2016 8:31 AM

Sep 2009
SuperRed said:
Piromysl said:
School Days

A generic high-school rom-com going for a bad ending for the sake of shock value isn't a good form of originality mate.

It actually gives high-school MCs a mortality rate though, which is nice.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 31, 2016 8:34 AM

Sep 2015
Some series will be overshadowed by the other anime that are airing in the same season. Erased from this season and One Punch Man from the last season completely overlook almost every other show in terms of hype and popularity.

Then you have the genres that people are interested in. On the website I use to watch some of my anime, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is getting literally 5 comments or less per episode, whilst shitty series like Grimgar are getting over 100 comments per episode. Despite the fact that Rakugo's an amazing show, not many people are interested in it, which is a shame. They'd rather watch kids sitting around talking about whether they're fat or not...
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 31, 2016 8:36 AM

Jan 2016
free eternal summer

it is a really cool sport anime and tells the story about friendship.

i think it deserves a much better rank
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 8:43 AM

Feb 2013
this thread is still alive but op did not make another post...
Jan 31, 2016 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
Nobunaga Concerto is an under appreciated anime, people tend to shun it off because of the art style and the animation.
Jan 31, 2016 9:43 AM

Jul 2015
SuperRed said:
Piromysl said:
School Days

Compared to most of other harem, where there is idiot, selfless protagonist who protects his virginity at all cost instead of being an actual male it quite oryginal.
PiromyslJan 31, 2016 9:51 AM

Jan 31, 2016 10:01 AM

Nov 2013
Triple-A said:
Nobunaga Concerto is an under appreciated anime, people tend to shun it off because of the art style and the animation.

I watched Nobunaga Concerto just recently, one of my favorite shows and I can't believe I missed it while it was airing.
TyrelJan 31, 2016 4:20 PM
Jan 31, 2016 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
@P3B1G5

A lot of peculiar shows are unpopular,
I think it's pretty self-explanatory why..
Jan 31, 2016 1:46 PM

Nov 2014
Hrybami said:
P3B1G5 said:

shirobako is an anime about cute girls doing cute things, can't see how is underappreciated
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 2:09 PM

Nov 2012
Piromysl said:
SuperRed said:

Compared to most of other harem, where there is idiot, selfless protagonist who protects his virginity at all cost instead of being an actual male it quite oryginal.

Harem protagonists who have sex and are comfortable around females aren't as uncommon as you think they are.
Jan 31, 2016 2:11 PM

May 2012
SuperRed said:
Piromysl said:

Harem protagonists who have sex and are comfortable around females aren't as uncommon as you think they are.

It isn't original. How was the show before the twist unoriginal? There was very little comedy and it subverted the usual genre tropes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

27 by shiro-seishun »»
1 minute ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

4 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

222 by Shizuna »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

61 by maya2003s »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

57 by shiro-seishun »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.