Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2016 4:43 PM
Jul 2018
Interview with Protaku

Reviewed and edited by the reporter with a red tie.

Protaku, thanks for joining us with your dank memes. Anything you'd like to say before we begin?

Yes. Lately I've really been wanting to update my profile into something more dank than it already is, but I didn't want to scare anyone away before this interview was over haha. I'll probably do it right after this goes live though because why not.

Oh and I'm going to be writing a lot here because I have some free time at the moment of writing this. Brace yourselves.

Tell us more about yourself

You ask and you shall receive.

I came out of the womb on October 7th 1994, which makes me 21 years old. I am of Hispanic origins. Currently, I reside in the state of California where I've lived most of my life; USA of course. Before that, I had moved and lived in Utah for about 5 years before I moved back to California because of family issues. Now I live in a small city situated in an arid desert and any southern California resident should be able to figure out where that is.

Honestly, I'm not too interesting until you get to know me. Depending on who you are, I can either reply to you on my wall or on the forums with just one line or with an elaborate multiple paragraph reply. These days, I prefer the former for lack of time and I reserve my elaborate replies for just my closest friends here. If I get to know you though (and I'm willing to talk to almost anyone) you'll find out I'm a huge softie who's a total spaz and has shit taste in everything, at least according to a bunch of my friends.

One of my blog entries already talks a lot about this, but I'll reiterate myself anyway:

When I graduated from high school in 2012, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life or even what I wanted to do right then and there. At the time, I was a huge gamer and I still am today, but ever since I was introduced to anime in my first year of college I put gaming in the backseat. Well I've technically been watching anime all my life but only recently has it become my main hobby. You can look at my profile or anime list to see what anime I'm into. As for gaming, I haven't yet subjected myself to the PC master race, so I play on my Xbox One. The two games I'm actively playing right now are Fallout 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, the latter mostly because a lot of my friends play it. I also have a 3DS I play Super Sm4sh on from time to time, and I'm confident enough in my skills to say I'd defeat most of everyone reading this. Totally not an indirect call for someone to play with.

I like playing Pokemon Showdown too but I doubt anyone here knows what that is beyond just the franchise name.

Hmmmmm what else? Oh, I'm an aspiring writer! Right now I'm working on a project some of my friends are helping me out with that I hope turns into a full blown novel one day. I used to be working on another novel in high school about a homeless family trying to survive in the streets of the big apple, but I got kind of bored of the idea and scraped it around 100 pages in. Sadly though, I don't read or write as much as I used to and I purely have anime to blame for this. If being a writer doesn't work out for me, I'm currently studying to become an English teacher one day.

I think this is a huge enough text wall as it is, so I'll start wrapping this section up. I'm a very weird individual in general, almost anyone can agree with this sentiment and I don't deny it. If I did I would be denying a part of myself and I don't want that. I'm obsessed with memes and GIFs; If only you could understand how much willpower I summoned to not post GIF reactions all over this text wall, you'd be amazed. I usually use emoticons too but even I don't wear sandals to a formal party.

Give us a brief history of your time on MAL. Which sections of MAL are you the most active on?

Well my join date is public for anyone and everyone to see. I wasn't really active on the forums though until early September of 2014. Heck, I never even wanted to be active here; I just wanted to learn how to use a forum since this was the first forum I ever joined and now look what you guys have gone and done to me lol. Before MAL, I recorded my anime list on a Word doc and I still do today since it's much more accurate than MAL's. Oh and I also got accepted into MAL Rewrite somewhat recently and I hope to get some of my synopsis rewrites out soon.

I click the Recent Posts link, and from there I click on whatever threads sound interesting. I'd say I'm most active in CD since it seems to be the most active board. I lurk in all the boards at least a little though, besides Forum Games since those seem really pointless to me. If you ever see me lurking or floating around, feel free to say hi.

How do you think the MAL community sees you? How do you feel about that?

The MAL community sees me as something? Well if they do, they'd probably see me as one of the few guys on the site who loves School Days, but this twat actually went through the trouble of writing a whole dissertation defending School Days; What a no life— I topkek all the time, but I'm kind of glad I'm in a minority. Just about anyone who knows anything about me knows I can make some shit weird or strangely intelligent threads from time to time; I'm like a mixed bag of cancer and the cure for cancer for MAL. And I don't mind all of this. When people look at me here, I want them to think of an edgy mofo that gives no quacks. People seem to think I like incest too because I'm all about Hiroomi Nase but...I'll leave that up to speculation for now.

What do you feel about the board you use the most? What do you feel about the community in general?

Well due to the nature of Recent Posts and the popularity of CD, I end up frequenting that board the most. For the most part I like it, but I think the guidelines are a bit too uptight for it and they could be loosened a bit. I'll elaborate more in the next part of the interview.

I feel like I'll get ridiculed for not calling the MAL community a cesspool of decadence, but I really never saw it that way, at least as a whole. If you don't interact with the cancer, you won't acknowledge the cancer. It's as simple as that. Everyone acts like shitposters are the scourge of the earth, but we're they're just trying to have a good time like the rest of us but in their own way. I remember I was treated nicely my first few weeks here and by the time shit started flowing in I had built up an immunity to it on the forums. You're a good bunch of people for the most part, it's just that a lot of you are misunderstood and need a helping hand to guide you onto the path of righteousness.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

Oh fuck, believe it or not I've never been banned on this website and I want to keep my streak clean so I'll limit what I say here.

This site is way too leftist for me, almost Bernie Sanders leftist. I dislike how (mods) have to pander to all the lower denominators that are people's feelings here even though most cases where people report something is just a plain and obvious case of someone being butt hurt. Making someone butt hurt =/= an offense worthy of a warning or ban in my book. Mods should be experienced enough to tell between being someone getting butthurt and someone legitimately throwing spite and hate at another user. I'd apply to be a mod, and even though I'd take my job seriously, I'd be so lax with the rules I'd be fired within a month.

And like I said earlier, the rules and restrictions placed on CD are way too superfluous in my opinion. The newest 30-character rule was just the newest pile of dung to land in there.

Mods also take the definition of spam too liberally and every mod is free to essentially call anything they want spam and there's nothing we can really do to refute them once they delete our replies in threads. I put a lot of thought into most of my replies, be they only one or two lines sometimes, and when I wake up in the morning and see around 3 of my forums posts got deleted at night, I can't help but reconsider why I'm still on this website that's run the wrong way at times. But it's ok, I just rebel by actually shitposting and smart posting less and dancing on the edgy edge I like dancing on.

Any users you like? Why?

I like everyone on my friend's list that I actively talk to. I guess I'll name some you guys might not know much about:

Harrymanhunter: Legit my best bro on MAL. I've sent him more lines of text than probably most of you have to all your friends here combined. He's so like me, yet unlike me and we both know this. We're like twins but one of us came out black and the other white. He's not active on the forums outside episode discussions but I'm sure at least one of you has seen him around.

Enharmonic: There was some drama here and now she doesn't frequent the website as Enharmonic anymore, but I still actively talk to her today even outside MAL. She's a great person at heart even though she can be a huge tsundere at times. She used to make edgy threads like me often so some of you chaps should remember her.

ExTamplier: He's chill and edgy like me and I like that. We always have quick little conversations here and there that I always like participating in. I swear I confuse his replies in the forums for mine sometimes.

TheHonestThief: He's like Harrymanhunter but more like me xD One of the few people I still write essay size replies to as well. He's written some great anime reviews for MAL too.

hoopla123: Yeeeeeee boi. We can relate to each other on so many levels, and we even met by arguing about best girl, it was the best. Haven't been talking to him long but I know he be dank as fck like me. And I like dank people.

I'd say a little bit about all my friends here, but then I'd keep you all here longer than I should.

Any users you dislike? Why?

I find it weird how people can just dislike users so easily, it takes a lot for me to legitimately dislike someone. Only one person fits that description to me, so much so that I even blocked him, but he's a nobody on MAL and always will be so I won't mention him. Instead, I'll list some users that I maybe just kind of didn't understand at first or still don't understand.

Red_Keys: I used to think he was just an asshole but now I know he's more of a sarcastic asshole and that's slightly better. He's like the edgy I dream of being but not really. Oh and he wants to be a writer, I think, so he's cool for that too.

Moog: I don't even know ... He always just struck me as too condescending to others and not even in the sarcastic way Red_Keys would. Maybe he's a bit too blunt for his own good, at least to others outside his inner circle.

I guess that's about it. I also have an innate but petty dislike for forum mods, especially when they flex their authority too much, but I have nothing against them personally on an individual level.

What are some MAL members you consider the most influential?

If by influential you mean a quasi-popularity contest, Mayuka would probably take the cake. Stark700 would probably have even more influence though if he did things besides just make episode or chapter threads for almost everything lol. And if we're being literal, of course Xinil or Kineta have the most influence.

Is there a MAL member you would want to take on a date or get to know better? Who and why?

I talk to a decent amount of girls here, but if we're being serious, I never really saw this place as a dating site. That, and asking to date someone from a whole other continent and start a long-distance relationship is kind of, eh? I know of people who did find what you'd call love here, but such a thing for me seems terribly unlikely. I won't deny I wouldn't mind the idea of it though.

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future? Why?

Just up and leaving MAL, no. Slowly but surely over time? Probably yes. All good things come to an end, my friends. I won't be young forever and neither will you guys.

As writer of a School Days dissertation, what would you say to a reader here who's been hesitant to watch it thanks to its negative reputation?

Well to someone who's both never seen School Days and hasn't been spoiled in the least yet, I'd say GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW. It's really something that's best if you go in blind, but with how infamous the anime is it's really hard to avoid spoilers. But even if you've already been spoiled, I believe you should still give the series a shot since spoilers also don't mean the end of the world. And to those that have already seen the series and most likely disliked it, do feel free to read my little essay on School Days and maybe it will sway your opinion just a tad afterwards.

You are very open about your love for memes. Would you give us your favorite?

Yeah I'm probably the most open person about memes on MAL. I don't even remember how I got so into them to be honest. It was a while ago now. But my MAL profile is 60% memes now and it'd be full of even more memes if I didn't fear for people's sanity.

My favorite memes? That's a tough question. I legitimately have thousands of memes saved on my laptop and phone, but if I had to name you my favorite meme icon it would undoubtedly be Doge! Doge is love, Doge is life <3 Much emoticons, such emphasis. Dank Woody memes would probably come in second; I even gave them an entire section in my “about me” just for them and them alone.

Red Note: Even makes the memes. Might drop a request for a Shia one later.

Do you have any authors that have inspired you as a writer? How have they influenced you?

It's going to sound generic, but Stephen King has definitely inspired and influenced me as a writer. I love how in his novels he doesn't pander to PC and he just writes regardless of how graphic or contemporary his ideas might be. If you read enough of his works, you begin to notice patterns in how his stories are structured as well, like his own identity or trademark, and that notion sort of set me out to also try separating myself from the standard crowd of writers one day. I primarily want to be a Horror writer because of him, and to not just write a plain Horror novel, but a Horror novel with deep and interesting characters with a gripping plot from start to finish. Stephen King's It is probably the best novel I can think with those qualities, and is undoubtedly my favorite of his works.

Aside from the games you are playing right now, care to recommend to gamers out there some of your favorite titles?

My favorite titles are all pretty generic too haha. I adore every entry in the Bioshock series, and I believe it's a great example of powerful storytelling in video games, so the series is a definite must play if you already haven't. Mass Effect is also another great series with storytelling that's more tailored to the player, complete with great action and dialogue to boot.

A lesser known video game that I loved and still love today is Catherine, a puzzle based platformer that's infamous for being wickedly difficult and I'm definitely not denying that. But I think it's more of an acquired taste so it's not for everyone. If you're interested though, you can probably pick it up for like 5 bucks at Gamestop. It was well worth the money for me even at 60$.

You seem to love James Cameron and Titanic (Ladies, take note). What do you admire about the filmmaker?

James Cameron is one of the most acclaimed directors of all time, we should all know this. But adding on to that, he's also produced some of my all time favorite films like Aliens, Avatar, and of course Titanic. I'm kind of bummed the new Star Wars is knocking out a bunch of his film records but that's just the times I suppose. Maybe the Avatar sequel will set things right again.

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

Hmmmmm I think that's about it actually. If you guys are curious about anything else, you can always ask a question on my profile or somewhere around in this thread.

Can you recommend us 3 members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

ExTamplier: I don't know why he doesn't have an interview here yet, he's easily one of the best candidates for it. It'd be cool to see his interview since I actually don't know much about him since we never really talk about ourselves for some reason. Maybe he's already been invited to do an interview but rejected the offer, that seems like him too.

hoopla123: Aw yiss, I know he'd shred glory all over his interview. We usually talk dank so it'd be interesting to see him adopt a more genteel demeanor like I did for this interview. But I still wanna see him talk about the the glorious 2D master race in it so I'm conflicted.

BT-kun: The chap has laid down 20k comments on profiles. I think that's a legend we'd all like to learn more about even though I already know a lot about this legend. The legend also has a super kawaii demeanor and I'd want to see how that translates into here ~

Any feedback on the interview format?

I like it. I'm a firm believer of "If it's not broken don't fix it," so possibly keep that in mind if you guys are ever thinking of big changes. Don't be like MAL and just break everything haha.

Any shameless self-promotions? Perhaps you want more publicity for your club, or a suggestion for the community to see?

Yes. I want you all to scroll through my profile and look me in the eye and tell me I'm not the dank king or the meme king. Most of you are plebs before me in these categories. I'd like some recognition plz fam.

Also, I don't really have any social media but you can ask me more stuff on my Ask.fm. Or leave me comments, whatever works. I don't bite, usually.

Oh and since you mentioned clubs, I'm going to promote MAL Rewrite and urge who ever wants to apply to go and apply already. We're like mods and just want more people in our ranks, in particular though I think we need more editors and coordinators if those positions interest you; But writers are always welcome too. Editors and coordinators just make the whole process much faster for us writers and help us pump out synopses much faster.

This concludes the interview. Thanks for sitting down with us.
removed-userJan 14, 2016 4:56 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 14, 2016 6:02 PM

Nov 2014
Pffft a Jeemz Kamrun lover, huh? Be thankful SW7 is knocking the hamfisted, preachy Avatar off its perch. It's high time that hack was exposed for what he is!

Also a fellow School Days appreciator here, who's written a 2000 word review on it. Screw the haters.
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Jan 14, 2016 7:32 PM

Jul 2013
Hahahaha, great stuff man. I love memes too <3. I live and breathe for them.
Also, this can't be missing from the interview:
Jan 14, 2016 7:48 PM

Apr 2014
lawlmartz said:
Pffft a Jeemz Kamrun lover, huh? Be thankful SW7 is knocking the hamfisted, preachy Avatar off its perch. It's high time that hack was exposed for what he is!

Also a fellow School Days appreciator here, who's written a 2000 word review on it. Screw the haters.

I feel indifference and love here. I'll take the love <3

Soul-Master said:
Hahahaha, great stuff man. I love memes too <3. I live and breathe for them.
Also, this can't be missing from the interview:

Memes are my oxygen, I don't even need air.
And lol, how could I forget about that meme. I think I have the template somewhere if anyone wants it.
Jan 14, 2016 7:49 PM

Apr 2014
Oh and thanks for having me ^_^ Looks I wrote a lot though lol

Jan 15, 2016 1:34 AM
Jul 2018
Please don't steal my username if I go inactive for a while.
Jan 15, 2016 5:48 AM

Nov 2014
Protaku said:

Don't get it twisted, James Cameron is an egotistical hack. He doesn't make good movies, he makes effective ones. The Terminator aside, but it also falls under effective. His box office success only fuels his titanic sized ego even though he's really an average filmmaker. I applaud his use of practical effects and models against pure CG, though he's not exactly on George Miller's level, after the bar he set.
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Jan 15, 2016 9:28 AM

Nov 2015
Joined this club only to ask : Where can I contact Nanet?
Jan 15, 2016 10:08 AM

Feb 2015
I totaly didnt expected you to do it in such serious manner.
Some great stuff indeed.

Jan 15, 2016 3:19 PM

Apr 2014
Onii-chan said:
Please don't steal my username if I go inactive for a while.

No promises. But someone should really file a false advertising claim against you since you're not the real deal .-.

lawlmartz said:
Protaku said:

Don't get it twisted, James Cameron is an egotistical hack. He doesn't make good movies, he makes effective ones. The Terminator aside, but it also falls under effective. His box office success only fuels his titanic sized ego even though he's really an average filmmaker. I applaud his use of practical effects and models against pure CG, though he's not exactly on George Miller's level, after the bar he set.

Sounds a bit more like a Spielberg rant to me, but where Spielberg created film classics Cameron created acclaimed masterpieces. It's objectively kind of hard to deny that if you want to try.

Or consider me baited.
Jan 15, 2016 3:35 PM

Apr 2014
-Crestfallen- said:
Joined this club only to ask : Where can I contact Nanet?

I don't think she'd want me revealing those kind of details to anyone, especially since she'll probably read this interview eventually.
She's just been trying to distance herself from MAL lately, and inadvertently also to the people here. Only thing I'll really say is that she only kept in contact with those she was close to and already talking to outside MAL.

Exowave said:
Some great stuff indeed.

Thanks man! But maybe avoid looking at my profile so as to not have the serious manner notion go right down the drain lol.
Jan 16, 2016 2:40 AM

Feb 2015
Protaku said:

Exowave said:
Some great stuff indeed.

Thanks man! But maybe avoid looking at my profile so as to not have the serious manner notion go right down the drain lol.

Nah i am aware of you ever since Deko told me ^^ So i expected more goofy interview in tone with profile stuff so that drain is flushed if you will. :D
Jan 16, 2016 2:54 AM

Apr 2014
Exowave said:
Protaku said:

Nah i am aware of you ever since Deko told me ^^ So i expected more goofy interview in tone with profile stuff so that drain is flushed if you will. :D

Ahhhh Deko! So this was all his plan then haha. Well either way, my profile will clog up that drain's pipes before anything manages to go down them, so good thing you're staying away lol. I'll just say I'm going through a phase right now ~
Jan 17, 2016 10:29 PM

Jul 2012
Seems your juggling a lot of different hobbies.
Jan 18, 2016 4:59 PM

Apr 2014
Coolspot said:
Seems your juggling a lot of different hobbies.

I thought I was barely juggling any lol. Well I'm only really serious on about 2 of them so it's not that hard to manage.
Jan 19, 2016 4:47 AM

Mar 2014
WHY DID YOU NOT MENTION MY NAME

IS IT BECAUSE I RATED NARUTO 1/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 20, 2016 7:16 PM

Apr 2014
Comic_Sans said:
WHY DID YOU NOT MENTION MY NAME

IS IT BECAUSE I RATED NARUTO 1/10

No, it's because you gave School Days 5/10 which is actually a pretty high score for it so thanks.

I would have created a big list of users I like like your interview did, but at that point I'd be naming like 100 people lol.
Jan 21, 2016 1:57 PM

Mar 2008
It's okay, I like School Days too. I laughed and yelled at the characters most the way through it though.
Jan 22, 2016 2:20 PM

Apr 2014
@traed :
Same here honestly, but that just showed I really got into the show since I'm not one to really try communicating with 2D characters often lol.
Jan 22, 2016 2:25 PM

Mar 2008
I dont either really.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.