Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2016 3:00 AM

Dec 2011
Loved every second of it!
Apr 4, 2016 3:06 AM

Jul 2007
Very strong first episode. They altered quite a bit from the preview episode version, including the ending, so it makes more sense now.

There's something really attractive and nice about character designs too(especially of the girls)

Still a very strong start with some damn great music. I hope they can keep it up. If it remains at this level of quality we will have a consistent and strong 7-8/10 show this season.
AhenshihaelApr 4, 2016 3:27 AM
Apr 4, 2016 3:11 AM

May 2013
This is my first exposure to the franchise.
I really like the songs and the way they battle, like power-up with songs.
Apr 4, 2016 3:26 AM
Oct 2012
i love this kind of meccha anime setting.
never realize it before.
hell yeah
Giri giri a~~~~~h ikenai borderline
Apr 4, 2016 5:12 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, they sure shit on everything the 30 years old franchise achieved. Hopefully they improve it, since this was really rushed and looked more like AKB0048 than Macross.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 4, 2016 5:19 AM

Dec 2013
ZetaZaku said:
Wow, they sure shit on everything the 30 years old franchise achieved. Hopefully they improve it, since this was really rushed and looked more like AKB0048 than Macross.

This has been said repeatedly, but Macross has always been a reflection of the time period when it comes to the music. Idol groups are what's popular today. It would be foolish from a business standpoint not to take advantage of what's popular, and what would appeal to your target market.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Apr 4, 2016 5:40 AM

Feb 2008
Kuro_Yuuki said:
ZetaZaku said:

This has been said repeatedly, but Macross has always been a reflection of the time period when it comes to the music. Idol groups are what's popular today. It would be foolish from a business standpoint not to take advantage of what's popular, and what would appeal to your target market.

Did I talk about the music? Even SDF Macross had braindead pop songs, but that's not the issue here. The problem is everything else going on in the episode. The plot, the characters, the CGI that looks like PS1 CGI, the laughing evil villains. Not like Frontier was a great show, but at least it had a better introduction and better (not necessarily good) CGI. It may improve, but out of the entire franchise, this was the worst first episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 4, 2016 7:47 AM
Jul 2009
Rewatched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised to see they added another 3-4 minutes to the episode! Still ended with a cliffhanger, but it was great to learn more about what Freya is and can do! Can't wait until episode 2!!!
Apr 4, 2016 7:59 AM

Sep 2009
So, any groups actually subbing this?
Apr 4, 2016 8:17 AM

Dec 2014
So much like AKB0048 haha

Apr 4, 2016 8:26 AM
Nov 2015
Kuro_Yuuki said:
ZetaZaku said:

Macros was never about girls singing music that can destroy missiles and fight monsters tho. Its like I am watching another Symphogear.
Apr 4, 2016 8:27 AM

Aug 2013
Anonifide said:
So much like AKB0048 haha

I hope this could be better than that..
Apr 4, 2016 8:33 AM

Jul 2012
If it wasn't for the dancing robot I would have mistaken Delta for the 4th season of Symphogear
הלב שלי כבר מת
Apr 4, 2016 8:53 AM

Dec 2014
So now they are combining Music and Dancing with Battles.... Reminds be of something else completely
Apr 4, 2016 9:02 AM

Jul 2012
ibraheem234 said:
So now they are combining Music and Dancing with Battles.... Reminds be of something else completely
It was done in the second Macross F movie as well it was a bit different though
הלב שלי כבר מת
Apr 4, 2016 9:12 AM

Jul 2007
A_Little_Birdy said:

Macros was never about girls singing music that can destroy missiles and fight monsters tho. Its like I am watching another Symphogear.

Except they are not doing that.

Also no, Macross has always been about power of love and power of music.
Apr 4, 2016 9:14 AM

Apr 2014
A_Little_Birdy said:
Kuro_Yuuki said:

Have you ever watched Macross?
Apr 4, 2016 9:39 AM

Jul 2008
This is the same shit I watched 3 months ago. Can anyone explain?
Apr 4, 2016 10:02 AM

Jan 2016
I just watched that first episode... I'm confused... that was spectacular, but all the criticism?

Am I watching the same thing? - all the detailed environments, technical readouts, augmented reality seen through sunglasses? Action transformation vehicles, space dogfighting - a savant cargo pilot thrust into battle to protect a pop singer/warrior of destiny? I think I need to check my glasses.
Apr 4, 2016 10:13 AM

Oct 2008
I don't hold the Macross franchise in very high regards (except for the DYRL movie which was amazing),I only find it semi good at best and brain dead/corny as fuck at worst.But this was just pure crap.

If it doesn't step up as it goes it can easily be a contender for worst sequel/franchise entry since Gundam Reconguista.
Apr 4, 2016 10:14 AM

Apr 2013
This is a sequel so I hope they let us know what happen to the Macross Frontier crew. I feel like they have too many characters and the singers having the ability to fight like some magic girls is annoying but I'm going to stick around for more.
Apr 4, 2016 10:38 AM

Apr 2011
This episode got my interest. Felt weird and cringy with the idols on Macross series and it does feel like AKB0048. But I'm not writing it of as bad.

Let us see how it goes.

MagitoApr 4, 2016 10:44 AM
Apr 4, 2016 10:45 AM

Jul 2010
I would've rated the Episode 0.89 preview version a 3/5, but the full episode is 5 outta fuckin' 5.

My blood was pumping the entire time. It's like 2008 all over again.

Lahis said:
So, any groups actually subbing this?

gg is covering it. Look for it on Nyaa or just get it off Horriblesubs, who are hosting gg's version. (Macross is a licensing nightmare that no streaming site can afford to deal with, so there is no "official" version to rip - meaning it's fansubs or nothing, and gg are it)

And for anyone reading this, don't listen to anyone who badmouths gg. They're taking subbing this show seriously. Anyone who's been around for a while knows that gg historically has loved two things: Mecha shows and sparkly FABULOUS shows.

It just so happens that Macross Delta is BOTH.
Apr 4, 2016 10:51 AM

Aug 2008
All ridiculous shit happened.
This is perfect. Reminded me of Macross 7. How nostalgic.

Music was unexpectedly pleasant btw. We lost Kanno, so I expected overall sounds to be a lot poorer, but this new set is actually quite good.
Apr 4, 2016 11:13 AM

Aug 2010
Dat Dancing part at the end was really fun. Love the art. The song was pretty catchy.

The rest of the ep was meh tho
Apr 4, 2016 11:36 AM

Jan 2013
I could do without the flying magical girl idols and ugly cg mechs to complement that.
Would've liked something more in the vein of Macross Plus instead of this campy Symphogear/AKB0048 idol blegh.

100% not my kind of show.
Apr 4, 2016 12:06 PM

Feb 2015
so i tried to watch this episode again, but only at the ending because i have watched the first episode in december 2015. just one thing; the song was great. probably i'm gonna download it. but it was really weird if they combine it with mechs. i will just try to watch it if i can enjoy it or not...
Apr 4, 2016 12:20 PM

Jul 2007
moodie said:
A_Little_Birdy said:

Have you ever watched Macross?

Yep. Friendly Reminder that this is a franchise where one protagonist controlled his mech with an electric guitar.

Macross is a reflection of that period's musical scene in Japan. It only goes as ridiculous as that allows.
Apr 4, 2016 1:29 PM

Nov 2014
Still the worst Macross IMO though certainly better than the .89.

Without the magic girls glitz it seems pretty good but definitely is a points deduction series based on episode 1 rather than a points winning series for the things they might do right.

Of course the funding for this series would have been better spent on a Klan Klang solo series instead of these newbies.

Guess I will just expect D grade going forward with this.
Apr 4, 2016 1:46 PM
Dec 2015
that last part, we need more fighting anime with pop idiols singing and fighting... this was godlike
Apr 4, 2016 2:00 PM

Jul 2010
Afropanda202 said:
that last part, we need more fighting anime with pop idiols singing and fighting... this was godlike

Oh man, then you need to go watch Senki Zesshou Symphogear. Like RIGHT NOW.

The second season of Symphogear especially is basically what happened in this episode right here, but amped up to 11.
Apr 4, 2016 2:35 PM
Nov 2012
When i saw the vf dancing i for some reason hated it. Freyja i hope will not end up as annoying as ranka.
Apr 4, 2016 3:57 PM

Oct 2010
I know the first song during the battle was Love! Halation THE WAR, but what was the second one that lasted into the credits? I NEED IT.

EDIT: Ikenai Borderline, that it?
The_Sum_of_ZeroApr 4, 2016 4:03 PM
Apr 4, 2016 4:16 PM

May 2012
I already liked a lot the preview episode 3 months ago, but the new content added to the end of the episode was really nice.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.
I despise woke people.
Apr 4, 2016 4:18 PM
May 2011
It's really amusing how many of you "SDF ONLY" people are complaining. I'm also assuming that most of you are Western culture based. Well guess what? Thanks to Harmony Gold and Big West, we don't have official western releases, so your criticisms don't matter.

Why do you want SDF so badly? You want the story of a young pilot who fights a war against an unknown enemy who seem to be calmed down by pop music- oh wait THAT'S STILL HAPPENING. JUST WITH EVERY ELEMENT THAT MADE MACROSS AMPLIFIED.

You still have your mecha, you still have your dogfights, that was shown in the first episode. They just added someone that can rhythmically can fight in a VF.

I also noticed almost everyone complaining hates Freyja just because she's moe. She's headstrong and naive, nothing wrong with that. Hell just because of the power of music (oh look, that's something Macross is known for, not that any of you old men complaining will care) she doesn't care about the battle happening around her and ran straight into the fight, even singing when Hayate was carrying her. Doesn't sound like a typical moeblob.

Turn your hate off, Macross isn't SDF or Plus or hell even ZERO (I bet most of you forgot you already got a serious Macross series back in 2002). Delta is still pure Macross, just concentrated.
Apr 4, 2016 4:33 PM

Aug 2010
. I thought this was amazing, and a huge improvement over .89 episode.

I must be in the minority, but I actually like CGI in mecha anime if its combined with excellent choreography, and it was, notably in the additional scence with the dancing mech.

And regarding "oh, what a cash grab, what an insult to the franchise etc" Why are you still watching this franchise? Do you like watching shows that don't conflict with your personal taste just so you can complain about it? Did you forget Macross 7 and Macross Frontier happened, and this is a sequel to Frontier?
Signatures Suck
Apr 4, 2016 4:37 PM

Jan 2016
A_Little_Birdy said:

if you watched the very first macross, you would know that the "power of songs" was how zeltran soldiers called the feelings they had when listening to Min May songs

but that's cause zeltran soldiers were adult clones with absolutely no knoweldge of the opposite sex, NOT cause Min May had special powers

also if you watched that series you would know that the confusion generated by the power of music was not even comparable to the panic, the fear (the retch) that zeltrans had when they saw a kiss for the first time in their life

so, more than power of love, you could say that the real macross was about the power of....
hitting the puberty too late and in the wrong way while enemies are shooting at you
ZeroGApr 4, 2016 4:41 PM
Apr 4, 2016 7:00 PM

Nov 2011
have only seen the original macross and macross F but the first episode of this one has me a little worried....
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Apr 4, 2016 7:07 PM

Jul 2009
I can't believe it but I'm going to drop a Macross series for the first time in 10 years.

Even being a big fan of the franchise I can't stand this one, where are the feeling of the singers found in all other Macross series (besides Macross 7 which imo is the oddball in the franchise)?

Also even though being the first episode I don't have any expectations for the next episodes so i'll just drop it.

ZeroG said:
A_Little_Birdy said:

if you watched the very first macross, you would know that the "power of songs" was how zeltran soldiers called the feelings they had when listening to Min May songs

but that's cause zeltran soldiers were adult clones with absolutely no knoweldge of the opposite sex, NOT cause Min May had special powers

also if you watched that series you would know that the confusion generated by the power of music was not even comparable to the panic, the fear (the retch) that zeltrans had when they saw a kiss for the first time in their life

so, more than power of love, you could say that the real macross was about the power of....
hitting the puberty too late and in the wrong way while enemies are shooting at you

Actually it's more about love triangles and a big struggle between cultural tensions and racial differences.

The Zentraedi only knew war nothing else besides war and they even didn't knew how to repair their own ships and equipment as it was shown during SDF and a bit later in 1 or 2 parts of Macross 7 as well.

Jonny_MhlApr 4, 2016 7:24 PM
Apr 4, 2016 7:32 PM
May 2011
Daedalus- said:
whiny ass tears

I started watching Macross With Plus. I fucking loved Delta. You obviously do not know what you're talking about. This is pure concentrated Macross.
Apr 4, 2016 7:37 PM

Jan 2016
Jonny_Mhl said:

Actually it's more about love triangles and a big struggle between cultural tensions and racial differences.

The Zentraedi only knew war nothing else besides war and they even didn't knew how to repair their own ships and equipment as it was shown during SDF and a bit later in 1 or 2 parts of Macross 7 as well.

of course it was about culture differencies as well
not to mention that macross was probably the first tv show who understood that a love triangle story can be placed in a sci fi anime that's made for boys
i was just explaining what really was the "power of songs" in the original macross
dont feel that bad to drop it
you are not the only one

i just wish the next time they will make a macross show, it will be in an alternate universe just like a gundam series
Apr 4, 2016 7:41 PM

Apr 2011
I don't see why people are talking shit about this considering music is such a powerful thing in this universe that can determine a battle DID YOU EVEN WATCH THE LAST EPISODE OF FRONTIER IF THIS IS MAKING YOU SHIT YOURSELF then your fan status has been revoked!
MagitoApr 4, 2016 8:36 PM
Apr 4, 2016 8:14 PM

Nov 2015
Short version = this thing is horrible so far and if you are looking for a mecha anime move along this is not the mecha you are looking for. But if you want J-Pop magic girls fighting against mechas on foot with the power of music do come in plenty of that to be had. The rest in a bit more detail below.

Apr 4, 2016 8:30 PM

Jul 2009
GenesisAria said:
ZeroG said:
i have been an otaku for over 35 years, and i do not dislike the trend of symphogear
actually i do not dislike any trend, as long the story makes sense, is interesting, and does not "forget" or "change" some events to make the main character win
some of the anime that changed this world were made by people that went against producers to create what they wanted
just to make an example no one belived that gundam could be a success, producers just wanted a 20 minute commercial to sell a robot toy, and had many fights with tomino over the series design, also because at first it was a "box office bomb"
but what we have here with delta (and seven) is different
is like having a dragonball z2 that is a shoujo
a dragonball z3 that continues the story as a crude horror
and a dragonball z4 that ends the saga as a proxy battle card game anime
macross in the 1982 was a sci fi anime, and pretty realistic
now we have an army and government that sends to battle underaged girls so they can sing and dance on the head of the enemy mecha, while my army mecha shoot at it
but no worries, as long that the girl sings, she can take a direct it or two
not to mention that in every new macross series, songs acquire new incredible powers that could change the world, but no one seem remember the powers they had in the previous series
is not a different timeline like gundam wing and gundam x, they are in the same continuity as the first macross?
yeah sure
then in the next macross what i will see?
a cluster missile that delivers 100 poke balls to the target?

As far as realism, Space Battleship Yamato is the only remotely realistic japanese sci-fi series i've seen to date, but even it uses loads of pseudoscience like dimensional stuff and focusing hawking radiation. I highly doubt that it's been close to that. You gotta know a lot about physics to judge realism ^^;

I'm going to add the following shows so you can check it out if you didn't watched them yet because they are quite similar to what you have described as being the more realistic ones: Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team and Seikai no Senki (Banner of the Stars/Crest of the Stars).

You won't will be disappointed since you liked the Yamato series.

@Tom_Kosken I envy your patience...
Apr 4, 2016 8:46 PM
May 2011
Tom_Kosken said:
Even more tears

Delta is pure Macross, no matter what you say.

I love the main point of contention from everyone hating on it is literally just Walkure.

Walkure is a representation of the pop music in Japan, just like how it was represented with Minmay, Sharon Apple, Fire Bomber and Ranka and Sheryl. Let your tastes grow. Macross is moving toward the future while you're stuck in the past, old man.

Walkure is there to suppress the Var. If you remember in your blind hate, they have no effect on the Knights of the Wind. During the time the Knights show up, they have one of the coolest VF fighting sequences to date, with jamming, splitting fins, backwards flying, weaving through the Circus.

But you of course have to just focus on Walkure, as if the actual Delta Squadron pilots don't exist.

We don't know enough about Hayate as for why he's able to pilot both the Work Destroid and the 171 with such rhythm.

Fucking chill.
DJAzureSkyApr 4, 2016 8:59 PM
Apr 4, 2016 8:53 PM

Mar 2013
So, when are people gonna stop pretending this series does things any differently than any other entries in this franchise?

Singing idols!? in colorful, flashy outfits!? Using the power of music in battle!?!

DIS IST NOT MUH MACROSS ! DIS IST EIN OUTRAGE!

Because you know what

when the guy with the reputation for being an insane raving lunatic is making far more reasonable, rational, lucid statements than you, you know that somewhere along the line, you fucked up badly

Fai said:
A_Little_Birdy said:

Except they are not doing that.

fstApr 4, 2016 8:57 PM
Apr 4, 2016 9:01 PM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:

Delta is pure as an anime on moe girls who spend their summer in a naturist camping
No matter what you say no one who watched macross in the 1982 would belive this one is part of the franchise

@Jonny_Mhl i watched both and actually banner of the stars disappointed me cause it did not had a 4th season :(

@Tom_Kosken I could not agree more
Apr 4, 2016 9:09 PM
May 2011
ZeroG said:
DJAzureSky said:

Delta is pure as an anime on moe girls who spend their summer in a naturist camping
No matter what you say no one who watched macross in the 1982 would belive this one is part of the franchise

@Jonny_Mhl i watched both and actually banner of the stars disappointed me cause it did not had a 4th season :(

Stop fooling yourself. I've watched every single Macross, SDF, DYRL, Plus (both versions), 7, Dynamite 7, Zero, F, F movies.

Delta is just following the popular JP music trends (which is an indicator of you know, Macross not being made for Western audiences, so you criticisms literally hold no weight) and it's still using the elements that make Macross, Macross.

The three elements that make Macross are a Love Triangle, VFs, and music.

We've seen two of the three. I've already explained how the music is just getting amplified, and from what we've seen, we have two VF teams, Delta squad and the Knights of the Wind. Just from Episode 1 alone, we know that the clashes between both factions is gonna be hype. They've shown us jamming and detachable fins a la the YF-27 Lucifer, we've been shown at least two Itano Circuses and weaving in and out of them. We've seen expert piloting from Delta squad (sans Mirage, can't wait to see her live up to her grandparent's name)

Maybe if you joined us here in the current year, you'd be excited for more Mirage (who if you don't remember is the granddaughter of Max and Milia) and realize that Walkure's Var suppression was literally only 3 minutes in a 24 minute episode.
Apr 4, 2016 9:16 PM

Nov 2012
That new ending was pretty awesome!
Apr 4, 2016 9:18 PM

Mar 2013
DJAzureSky said:
ZeroG said:

Stop fooling yourself. I've watched every single Macross, SDF, DYRL, Plus (both versions), 7, Dynamite 7, Zero, F, F movies.

Delta is just following the popular JP music trends (which is an indicator of you know, Macross not being made for Western audiences, so you criticisms literally hold no weight) and it's still using the elements that make Macross, Macross.

The three elements that make Macross are a Love Triangle, VFs, and music.

We've seen two of the three. I've already explained how the music is just getting amplified, and from what we've seen, we have two VF teams, Delta squad and the Knights of the Wind. Just from Episode 1 alone, we know that the clashes between both factions is gonna be hype. They've shown us jamming and detachable fins a la the YF-27 Lucifer, we've been shown at least two Itano Circuses and weaving in and out of them. We've seen expert piloting from Delta squad (sans Mirage, can't wait to see her live up to her grandparent's name)

Maybe if you joined us here in the current year, you'd be excited for more Mirage (who if you don't remember is the granddaughter of Max and Milia) and realize that Walkure's Var suppression was literally only 3 minutes in a 24 minute episode.

You know what it is, they think it's not idols, they think they're watching a Mahou Shoujo because of that transformation sequence.

I've come to the conclusion that, even if they won't necessarily admit it, that one scene is one of the main reasons why they cannot accept Delta as a Macross.

Even though Sheryl used holographic costumes in Frontier.........
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

246 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.