Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Apr 9, 2016 1:13 AM
May 2011
Caraculiambro said:
While it has the basic elements of a Macross series (valkyries, singing and a love triangle), they have horribly subverted the singing aspect of the show. Minmay in SDFM was a pacifist as was Basara (the only time Basara shot in anger he hated himself for it). By making the idols a military unit in itself, they have embraced things which they were once critical of in Macross (Jamming Birds in Macross 7 anyone?).

The original Macross was also critical of the "building up" of an idol, and they showed both the good, but also the bad and the ugly of the idol business.. Here it seems they will wholeheartedly embrace it. But I suppose that's what sells today. Give the otaku their pure virginal idols doing cutesy things and everything is secondary.

Based on one episode. An episode you totally ignored all the worldbuilding in just to complain about 6 minutes.
Apr 9, 2016 1:22 AM
Mar 2009
DJAzureSky said:
SwordBreaker28 said:

I totally know what you mean my hopes was sadly a great space saga but first episode was not :( .Anyway I will give Delta a chans because it is not bad and I like the music but I will watch it with my mind set that it will be an idol anime and not macross. To be honest I would love a anime about admiral hunter and SDF3 rather than singing girls well at least there is no Sheryl and ranka man I wish both where killed in the second season they where so annoying just like Minmay Im glad hunter picked lisa Hayase.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Nothing I just don´t have the same taste as every one here you may like idol anime girls I don´t.
Apr 9, 2016 1:26 AM
May 2011
SwordBreaker28 said:
DJAzureSky said:

Nothing I just don´t have the same taste as every one here you may like idol anime girls I don´t.

Enough to wish death upon characters? You have issues.
Apr 9, 2016 1:47 AM

Apr 2010
Add another person who's seen the entire franchise, I actually liked it. Songs were catchy and battles were good animation wise. A dancing Valkyrie provided some lols. And we have another Jenis that ties back to SDF.
Apr 9, 2016 1:57 AM

Jul 2007
Caraculiambro said:
While it has the basic elements of a Macross series (valkyries, singing and a love triangle), they have horribly subverted the singing aspect of the show. Minmay in SDFM was a pacifist as was Basara (the only time Basara shot in anger he hated himself for it). By making the idols a military unit in itself, they have embraced things which they were once critical of in Macross (Jamming Birds in Macross 7 anyone?).

You did not watch the episode then. The only real purpose idols had were defending civillians and curing the virus.

The original Macross was also critical of the "building up" of an idol, and they showed both the good, but also the bad and the ugly of the idol business.. Here it seems they will wholeheartedly embrace it. But I suppose that's what sells today. Give the otaku their pure virginal idols doing cutesy things and everything is secondary.

Different genres. Original Macross focused on 70's music and woodstock movement.
This is focusing on idol group craze currently in Japan.
Every Macross depicts the musical industry that is relevant here and now.
Apr 9, 2016 2:33 AM

Jun 2014
Fai said:
Caraculiambro said:

You did not watch the episode then. The only real purpose idols had were defending civillians and curing the virus.

Different genres. Original Macross focused on 70's music and woodstock movement.
This is focusing on idol group craze currently in Japan.
Every Macross depicts the musical industry that is relevant here and now.

How stuck up and arrogant can you be? "You did not watch the episode then" Where you in the room with me or something?

Walkure is clearly a military unit, with Valyries that can and did shoot at their enemies when the need arose. In principle, all militaries are there to defend civilians so that in itself doesn't make them any less of a paramilitary unit.

Regarding your second point, it is true that Macross depicts the musical industry of the day, but it has not been afraid of showing the less glamorous aspects of it. I'm hoping that the creators will have the stones to do this throughout the course of this particular installment, but I won't hold my breath.
Apr 9, 2016 4:19 AM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:
Now this is a good analysis of the characters. I never thought of the defensive nature of Delta, but it starts to make sense when you realize that they aren't really trying to kill anyone, just protect Walkure and the Var infected soldiers from each other while Walkure neutralizes with their song.

Yes. Delta Squad is the sword and brings the firepower if needed, while Walkure is the shield even in a literal sense.

It's reflecting the apparent shift in tone in the Macross formula, where it's not strictly about the destruction of the enemy anymore, at least from the point of the main characters. It follows the progression of the purpose of music in Macross , going from being wielded as a form of weapon in earlier Macross titles, to ultimately being a tool for communication and peace resolution in Macross Frontier, to a method of healing in Macross Delta.
Apr 9, 2016 4:23 AM

Jul 2007
Caraculiambro said:

Walkure is clearly a military unit, with Valyries that can and did shoot at their enemies when the need arose. In principle, all militaries are there to defend civilians so that in itself doesn't make them any less of a paramilitary unit.

Idols themselves did absolutely nothing offensive beyond curing the virus.
Delta Squadron mainly even fought to disable before the the ships descended from the sky.

Regarding your second point, it is true that Macross depicts the musical industry of the day, but it has not been afraid of showing the less glamorous aspects of it. I'm hoping that the creators will have the stones to do this throughout the course of this particular installment, but I won't hold my breath.

They did not shy away from it in frontier, I see no reason for them to shy away here. We already saw that there's more behind the scenes than it seems at first already.

Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:
Now this is a good analysis of the characters. I never thought of the defensive nature of Delta, but it starts to make sense when you realize that they aren't really trying to kill anyone, just protect Walkure and the Var infected soldiers from each other while Walkure neutralizes with their song.

Yes. Delta Squad is the sword and brings the firepower if needed, while Walkure is the shield even in a literal sense.

It's reflecting the apparent shift in tone in the Macross formula, where it's not strictly about the destruction of the enemy anymore, at least from the point of the main characters. It follows the progression of the purpose of music in Macross , going from being wielded as a form of weapon in earlier Macross titles, to ultimately being a tool for communication and peace resolution in Macross Frontier, to a method of healing in Macross Delta.

That just reflects the present tensions.

SDF was about woodstock movement, where music and creativity was literally a weapon against utilitarianism and cold war mentality.
M7 used music as power to break free from consumerism, which is theme of the rock/metal rebellion period in 80's too.
Frontier used music to communicate and convey emotions and peace, which is kind of the main theme of 00's pop music revival, as well as the push for world peace being major factor in terms of idealism of those times.
Delta clearly focuses on anarchy and terrorism(with hints of hybrid warfare so far if the idea of the riots and anarchy being instigated by outside force is correct), with idols and idol music's thematic ideas of love and healing being the antithesis of that.
AhenshihaelApr 9, 2016 4:36 AM
Apr 9, 2016 4:30 AM

Mar 2015
SwordBreaker28 said:
To be honest I would love a anime about admiral hunter and SDF3 rather than singing girls well at least there is no Sheryl and ranka man I wish both where killed in the second season they where so annoying just like Minmay Im glad hunter picked lisa Hayase.

"Admiral Hunter"? "SDF-3"? You need to read the Jack McKinney novels, cause you're still hooked on Robotech. That's the only way you can get the ending you might want. His books will fill your "The Sentinels" need. :P

None of that has a thing to do with Macross though.

Personally, I thought this episode of delta was great and enjoyable XD. I'll catch up with what's after Macross Plus, maybe over the weekend? Don't have many plans... (edit: HA, ~70 epi. I forgot, I'll catch up over the next few weeks. ;P)
KelgairApr 9, 2016 8:05 AM
Apr 9, 2016 5:11 AM
Apr 2016
Caraculiambro said:

..., it is true that Macross depicts the musical industry of the day, but it has not been afraid of showing the less glamorous aspects of it. I'm hoping that the creators will have the stones to do this throughout the course of this particular installment, but I won't hold my breath.

You have a point. Macross has always had an underpinning of character development and drama, and the idol/music aspect of the story has always been tied to that in some fashion. As I've mentioned in previous posts, the muses in Macross have suffered and grew because of their talent at some point. We already have a glaring incongruity created by smiling idols performing happy-happy big musical stage numbers in the middle of a battlefield in close proximity to people being maimed and killed. That alone requires a high, but not insurmountable level of suspension of disbelief. But if they resort to any further sugar coating, I think that would make the characters unrelatable as people and destroy any suspension of disbelief.

I can only hope that the writers/directors of the Delta production team chose not to compromise the dramatic elements that Macross has always tried to maintain in favour of pandering to the idol otakus.

I'm cautiously optimistic but like you, I'm not holding my breath. Money usually talks while artistic integrity takes a walk.
AkiotioApr 9, 2016 5:20 AM
Apr 9, 2016 5:35 AM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:
Is what we ask to you, why we should be "wrong" for liking the sci fi part of macross, and you "right" by liking the idol battle concert?
DJAzureSky said:
Enough to wish death upon characters? You have issues.
FIRST we are talking about fiction, so wishing the death of a fictional character as a development of the story is nothing strange or nothing that would be considered immoral by common laws, unless you are the main character of stephen king "misery"

SECOND what's more disrespectful? this or dance happily in a city in flames that was just bombed with hundreds of victims? if i was living there, and just lost my wife, or a children, or a friend, those idols would greatly annoy me
they have to sing to calm zeltran? sure, go, then is necessair
you keep singing and dancing after the last zeltran was healed ? do you have any respect?

SwordBreaker28 said:
I totally know what you mean my hopes was sadly a great space saga but first episode was not :( .Anyway I will give Delta a chans because it is not bad and I like the music but I will watch it with my mind set that it will be an idol anime and not macross. To be honest I would love a anime about admiral hunter and SDF3 rather than singing girls well at least there is no Sheryl and ranka man I wish both where killed in the second season they where so annoying just like Minmay Im glad hunter picked lisa Hayase.
i did liked both sheryl and ranka, to the point i would have been very sad if any of them would not be "choosen" and hoped the situation would end in the 3 of them together :D
also, both of them did not had any "special" music power at first

putting annoying characters in an anime is ok, cause its real
i find much more innatural an anime with only happy and smiling people
what i dislike of annoying characters is when story and laws of physics are bend to make them win
he insult every single people he met, but he always get what he ask for and girls likes him? why???
he ram a battleship with a vf, he cant eject and the plane explodes, but he survives? how???
he charge a fleet of 10 battleships and 100+ vf, he kick their asses... wait, is what just happened
at least some of the knights of the wind seemed nice people
but considering they started the fight and are attacking a bombed city... what they are doing is not nice either
Apr 9, 2016 8:35 AM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
Caraculiambro said:

..., it is true that Macross depicts the musical industry of the day, but it has not been afraid of showing the less glamorous aspects of it. I'm hoping that the creators will have the stones to do this throughout the course of this particular installment, but I won't hold my breath.

You have a point. Macross has always had an underpinning of character development and drama, and the idol/music aspect of the story has always been tied to that in some fashion. As I've mentioned in previous posts, the muses in Macross have suffered and grew because of their talent at some point. We already have a glaring incongruity created by smiling idols performing happy-happy big musical stage numbers in the middle of a battlefield in close proximity to people being maimed and killed. That alone requires a high, but not insurmountable level of suspension of disbelief. But if they resort to any further sugar coating, I think that would make the characters unrelatable as people and destroy any suspension of disbelief.

I can only hope that the writers/directors of the Delta production team chose not to compromise the dramatic elements that Macross has always tried to maintain in favour of pandering to the idol otakus.

I'm cautiously optimistic but like you, I'm not holding my breath. Money usually talks while artistic integrity takes a walk.

I rewatched the preview episode of Frontier. There isn't much "drama" either. Of course, the later episodes of the series had us with [SPOILERS REDACTED].

How can you judge and think there will be no drama based on the first episode. This is Macross. This is Kawamori, we're gonna have some really bad shit happen soon. Happened with Aquarion EVOL as well and I can't think of another show that seems so super light hearted in its first episode.
Apr 9, 2016 8:46 AM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:
How can you judge and think there will be no drama based on the first episode. This is Macross. This is Kawamori, we're gonna have some really bad shit happen soon. Happened with Aquarion EVOL as well and I can't think of another show that seems so super light hearted in its first episode.

I never said there will be "no drama".

I said that I hope they don't compromise the dramatic elements... Compromise does not mean or imply complete elimination.

Seriously, slow down, read the posts carefully and try not to get all bent out of shape.

AkiotioApr 9, 2016 8:54 AM
Apr 9, 2016 8:51 AM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:

I never said there will be no drama.

I said that I hope they don't compromise the dramatic elements. Compromise does not necessarily mean elimination.

Still, I doubt they will compromise the dramatic elements. We already have hints as to what happened to Freyja as a kid, we don't know why the Knights are attacking. These unanswered questions are going to be the source of early drama. Just like how they explained why Ranka was so afraid of the Vajra when we only saw a small flashback in the first episode of F.
Apr 9, 2016 9:10 AM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:
Still, I doubt they will compromise the dramatic elements.

My comment is being taken out of context. My statement was made in reply to Caraculiambro's post regarding how Macross had previously shown that idols can have it rough, and a concern is that they may gloss over or sugar coat this important dramatic element that's been a source of character development in the past in favour of smoothing things over for certain fan types.

Now in a general sense, in terms of the overall story, yes, I agree with you. I don't think the writers would be foolish enough to mess with the dramatic underpinnings that have defined Macross. That would definitely lead to disaster.
Apr 9, 2016 10:49 AM

Jul 2007
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:

I never said there will be "no drama".

I said that I hope they don't compromise the dramatic elements... Compromise does not mean or imply complete elimination.

Seriously, slow down, read the posts carefully and try not to get all bent out of shape.

Again there's no proof they would.
THey did not shy away from it with Frontier, why should they now?
Apr 9, 2016 2:00 PM
Jul 2013
Best anime so far. I don't know a shit about Macross, but soon I'll do.
Apr 9, 2016 10:55 PM
Jan 2013
Hey,they made improvements to the main character.

I can't wait to see how the dancing theme plays out.

Apr 10, 2016 4:18 AM
Apr 2016
Fai said:
Again there's no proof they would.
THey did not shy away from it with Frontier, why should they now?

And writers or producers haven't made completely baffling creative decisions in the past? Given how drastically the role of the idol has changed in Delta, it's reasonable that people might also wonder, or perhaps have some misgivings over what's in store.

I've made my own position clear: "I don't think the writers would be foolish enough to mess with the dramatic underpinnings that have defined Macross. "
AkiotioApr 10, 2016 5:55 AM
Apr 10, 2016 4:40 AM
Mar 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, so it looks like the special debuted. It had some bits of review of the franchise but it did air actual footage from the episode.

The narrator had quite a bit of fun with this one.

The CG-like mecha were kinda odd and I'm not really sold on the song yet. It introduced the majority of the main girls and basic concepts. Okayish start so far. I did kinda like the song combined with the action in the second half for this episode.

"It's showtime!"

The main theme song is kinda catchy after hearing it for awhile. They played it in the last few minutes of the episode with the climatic battle Mikumo Guynemer is probably the most awesome idol of the group so far imo. Buccaneer is cool as well. Hope they develop the story well soon.

I agree with you there bro, hope the anime turns out to be epic and not rushed.
Apr 10, 2016 7:05 AM

Oct 2008
Caman guys, this is worse than seven was.
I would have dropped this the moment the VF's started dancing/posing, if it wasn't part of the Macross universe. I've seen every Macross (well, a Seven movie and 1-2 special aside), but this is just terrible.
Apr 10, 2016 9:10 AM

Jan 2014
I so loved Macross frontier...
Why did they have to go full commercial with stupid idols...

T_T

So disappointed in this new macross.
Apr 10, 2016 11:29 AM

Jun 2014
Akiotio said:
Caraculiambro said:

You put into words some very good points that I'd noticed too but hadn't expressive enough to put into writing. There seems to be a trivialization of violence that perhaps was not present in previous iterations of Macross. Let's wait and see. It's just one episode so far and maybe we're surprised at some point down the line. In any case the discussions should be intense. The Magical Girl Police' is out there in the forums in full force putting down any dissenting views: 'How dare you mess with my waifus?! They've always been at the center of Macross". Which I would expect in a Japanese forum but surprises me somewhat on a Western one.
Apr 10, 2016 11:35 AM

Jul 2007
Philou255 said:
I so loved Macross frontier...
Why did they have to go full commercial with stupid idols...

T_T

So disappointed in this new macross.

Frontier dealt with pop idol phenomenon that was appropriate for the time the show aired.
Delta deals with the idol group phenomenon that is currently the focus of the music industry as the show is airing.

Since Macross always was a reflection of music industry in Japan, having another frontier now would make no sense, as that is no longer what is the most popular in the industry
Apr 11, 2016 7:31 AM
Apr 2016
Caraculiambro said:
You put into words some very good points that I'd noticed too but hadn't expressive enough to put into writing. There seems to be a trivialization of violence that perhaps was not present in previous iterations of Macross.

To be fair, Delta possess the same kind of juxtaposition that was present in SDF Macross and Frontier; optimistic music set against the destruction and violence of war. But in my opinion, the previous Macross titles seemed to pull it off better than this first episode of Delta did.

I think that the issue may not be so much a conceptual one (i.e. magical girl-style combat idols) but maybe a directorial one.

Case in point: If you look at some of the battle scenes where civilians are present, you see points being made about the collateral damage and the human cost of war. There's one moment when Hayate and Freyja are fleeing and in the background, you see a man running with (presumably) his son, the child trips and the father stops to help, the camera continues to pan and then the area is engulfed in explosions. In another scene, a Battroid is destroyed by a missile barrage and in the foreground, a man and a woman cower behind rubble, the woman praying fervently that death doesn't find them.

Any of them could have been omitted from their respective scenes and it wouldn't have made much difference but obviously the director wanted them there to emphasize the human cost. But then moments later, we see crowds of civilians (literally in the middle of battle), all smiles, cheering like mindless concert-goers and behaving as if they're utterly oblivious to their situation--- they've lost everything, family and friends are possibly dead, and the death and destruction is still raging around them.

Their unrealistic behavior negates the realistic element of the terrible human cost of war that the director had been incorporating subliminally through background elements. First it's "War is horrible! Innocents are dying! Oh the humanity!" and then it's "Walkure is here! What war? We have tunes and girls! Pass the joints and beer!"

Obviously, the director was attempting to use the battle as a foil for Walkure but the execution seemed too simplistic.

The director felt he needed to hit the audience over the head with the Walkure sledgehammer from the get-go. This is quite different from SDF Macross and Frontier where you'll notice that their idols undergo a progression rather than starting with the volume cranked to 11. It makes me wonder if my opinion would be different if they had worked up to Walkure's abilities instead of going for the "shock and awe" value from the start.

Caraculiambro said:
Let's wait and see. It's just one episode so far and maybe we're surprised at some point down the line.

Yes, I'm keeping an open mind about Macross Delta. Delta is official Macross canon now, so I'm going to see it through.

Caraculiambro said:
The Magical Girl Police' is out there in the forums in full force putting down any dissenting views: 'How dare you mess with my waifus?! They've always been at the center of Macross". Which I would expect in a Japanese forum but surprises me somewhat on a Western one.

I think every fandom in the world has common elements. There will always be people who maintain no middle ground. If you're not loving the property completely, then you must be hating the property completely. It's a purely binary thing for them. (Speaking generally here of course.)

EDIT: Woo! Episode 2 is out. Gonna check it out!
AkiotioApr 11, 2016 7:38 AM
Apr 11, 2016 5:01 PM

Jan 2013
Fai said:
Rance-sama said:
This is supposed to be a sequel to Frontier?

The same way Frontier is sequel to everything else in Macross, yes. Its set in the same world, in the same timeline.

Where's the original characters

Their story ended in Frontier?
Where's the Vajra at?

Somewhere? If they are relevant they would appear.
Zentradi are here after all.

The whole new infection is basically Islam

And the conflict in original SDF was woodstop hippie movement fighting against utilitarian society.
And the conflict in 7 was about freedom of expression fighting consummerism
And the conflict in Frontier was about diplomacy and culture overcoming cultural limits.

That's what macross is and always was.

and the only way to really fight against is girls singing songs

It was true for every part of macross franchise, I don't see why should they stop now.

I actually didn't watch the movies yet, I just finished Macross F.
What a cheesy show however, the whole "fight war with love" meme is stupid.
Apr 12, 2016 6:34 PM

Jan 2016
Rance-sama said:

originally in the first macross from the 1982 the meme was pretty different and no stupid at all, to explain better i will have to spoil a little, but since you saw macross f is nothing big cause you already have seen zeltran and humans be allies
original show was more bloody and main characters could die, even from random fire from nameless enemies
the zeltran race was going to destroy earth, and was stopped not by just raw heroic strenght, but also by showing them what civilization could be cause zeltran basically knew a military only society, and did not know what is a "marriage"
in following macross shows, this culture and love singing element was expanded to what you can see in delta...
some people say its natural evolution and really like it
others like me say its so different is hard to tell is the same franchise
if you like more serious shows, and dont dislike classics, macross is one of the best of its age, if not the better
Apr 13, 2016 12:44 AM

Jan 2013
ZeroG said:
Rance-sama said:

originally in the first macross from the 1982 the meme was pretty different and no stupid at all, to explain better i will have to spoil a little, but since you saw macross f is nothing big cause you already have seen zeltran and humans be allies
original show was more bloody and main characters could die, even from random fire from nameless enemies
the zeltran race was going to destroy earth, and was stopped not by just raw heroic strenght, but also by showing them what civilization could be cause zeltran basically knew a military only society, and did not know what is a "marriage"
in following macross shows, this culture and love singing element was expanded to what you can see in delta...
some people say its natural evolution and really like it
others like me say its so different is hard to tell is the same franchise
if you like more serious shows, and dont dislike classics, macross is one of the best of its age, if not the better

I watched the original Macross first, and it was still pretty stupid. What main characters? It's like 2 characters, and Frontier is pretty much an exact-clone of the original and mimics it far too much for my taste. The original was just as painfully stupid in my eyes, I couldn't for the life of me understand Minmay. How could she sing over and over again "my boyfriend is a pilot" and consistently make moves on the main character, only for her to go awol for several episodes and act stone cold towards him? Like, for what reason? To make Misa a more likable character? If Macross is supposed to be about relationships over war, which everyone claims it is then why is that despite the absurdly long time spent on these relationships it always falls flat?

Macross in a nutshell
>oh no X race out to destroy humanity
>insert dumb main heroine
>mc falls for her
>development happens and she's a cunt
>some other girl and he falls for her
>main heroine stops ebil threat
>the end

Wait guys, let me make an amazing prediction about how this Macross will go.
>main character falls for Freyja
>big ebil threat
>he's pro pilot now
>main heroine acts autistic
>probably save's Farina's life
>blah blah friendly bonding war blah blah
>Islamic terrorism is stopped
>He picks Farina

Maybe I wouldn't be so critical if I just finished Frontier, but Alto and Hayate are virtually the same generic main character that's amazing for no reason. Then they have generic idol girl Freyja and Ranka who loves singing and shocker shocker can surprisingly use their talent to stop whatever threat faces humanity. Then we'll have another Sheryl as the 3rd girl, hopefully they'll at least develop this one properly. It's very rare for me to shit on a show since I rarely watch a series with high expectations, but everyone's all like "10/10 macross!" and then I actually watch it and it's shit. Really makes me want to rant like somebody cares about my opinion.
Apr 13, 2016 3:00 AM

Jul 2007
Rance-sama said:

Its not a meme, unless one is a republican tho?

I mean that's how woodstock happened. That's how we came out of cold war for decade or two.
Apr 13, 2016 3:15 AM

Jan 2013
Fai said:
Rance-sama said:

Its not a meme, unless one is a republican tho?

I mean that's how woodstock happened. That's how we came out of cold war for decade or two.

It was a mutual agreement that we shouldn't kill each other, far from love lol. Comparing the Soviet Union to the Vajra is a very bad comparison, at leas the Soviet Union had brains and knew when to stop. The Vajra are machines that attacked in Frontier over their curiosity in Fold Quartz, or something? They weren't very clear on that, in one episode it's because of Ranka and the next she's stopping it? O well.
Rance-samaApr 13, 2016 3:19 AM
Apr 14, 2016 6:31 AM
Apr 2016
Rance-sama said:
Maybe I wouldn't be so critical if I just finished Frontier, but Alto and Hayate are virtually the same generic main character that's amazing for no reason. Then they have generic idol girl Freyja and Ranka who loves singing and shocker shocker can surprisingly use their talent to stop whatever threat faces humanity. Then we'll have another Sheryl as the 3rd girl, hopefully they'll at least develop this one properly.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that the creative decision was made to incorporate key common Macross elements (mecha/music/muse) across the different titles as a means to link the different Macross settings together. But as you point out, this does create a problematic reliance on inherent cliches.

But to Delta's credit, at least writers made Hayate into an immature little shit--- which is good because then viewers get to see Hayate grow as a character, provided the writers actually made good use of that. Time will tell...

You raise a good point about immediate consecutive viewings. You're picking up Delta on the heels of just finishing Frontier so maybe you're experiencing a bit of a surfeit with Macross right now.

Rance-sama said:
It's very rare for me to shit on a show since I rarely watch a series with high expectations, but everyone's all like "10/10 macross!" and then I actually watch it and it's shit. Really makes me want to rant like somebody cares about my opinion.

Fans tend to crap over anyone who doesn't find the show that they like to be perfect, as they do. Some of us have taken flak over having issues with Delta, even if we're still receptive to the series. We're labelled "elitists" or "geewunners".

If those fans had their way, the forums would be useless circle jerks (if they aren't already) where everything is 5 out of 5 and 10 out of 10. This is why it's important to have dissenting opinions, as long as those dissenting opinions have some sound reasoning behind them.
Apr 14, 2016 7:05 AM
Apr 2016
Mecha haters, idol haters or just macross haters ? Don't mind, just enjoy the show. You got one more entertainment and they got nothing, that's all.
Apr 14, 2016 9:55 AM

Aug 2013
The dancing mecha had me laughing.
Apr 14, 2016 12:12 PM

Jan 2013
As expected from Macross! Robot and singing, but that dancing valk robot @21:27 has awesome foot work. Good job M*****F****** teen pilot! Animator rocks how many fps for that part?!
Pyon2WarpKunApr 14, 2016 12:21 PM
Apr 16, 2016 2:20 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
This was surprisingly good despite the different approach compared to the other older series. The last battle song was surprisingly catchy.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 23, 2016 5:22 PM

Feb 2013
What foot-tapping fun this turned out to be. I hope Satelight learned from Symphogear and AKB0048 that more music and more action = better. To bad gg isn't doing karaoke :(

Liked the first song. Loved the second song! Loving that the singers aren't just singing this time, they're fighting too. Dancing mecha is a nice touch too lmao (but good stuff).
Apr 26, 2016 2:49 AM
Mar 2012
Improved from preview. Few shots were cut or shortened to quicken the pace, eg where Frejya ate an apple before the planet shot.
Anglerfish orgasm la lulu still too funny.
Last 2 minutes added were amazing. Hayate's moves are top notch mech breakdancing (tho he was barely fighting). Aquarion style naked combine? Nice body Hayate.
Not sure if 2nd viewing or better compression, CG mechs look ok now.
Halation War sounds nice on 2nd watch.
Jazz one still favorite, suits the whole epic space + ground battles + idol singing meeting in one spot.
Apr 26, 2016 3:22 AM

Feb 2012
People don't accept that this show is Macross. Why are you so disgusted by CHANGE when the show is literally called Macrosss DELTA??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2016 4:55 AM

Jan 2011
the story is fine so far, but the actions with the Hayate dancing mecha and the girl band on Valkyrie takes time to digest i guess...
May 6, 2016 7:58 PM

Mar 2016
Akiotio said:
Rance-sama said:
Maybe I wouldn't be so critical if I just finished Frontier, but Alto and Hayate are virtually the same generic main character that's amazing for no reason. Then they have generic idol girl Freyja and Ranka who loves singing and shocker shocker can surprisingly use their talent to stop whatever threat faces humanity. Then we'll have another Sheryl as the 3rd girl, hopefully they'll at least develop this one properly.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that the creative decision was made to incorporate key common Macross elements (mecha/music/muse) across the different titles as a means to link the different Macross settings together. But as you point out, this does create a problematic reliance on inherent cliches.

But to Delta's credit, at least writers made Hayate into an immature little shit--- which is good because then viewers get to see Hayate grow as a character, provided the writers actually made good use of that. Time will tell...

You raise a good point about immediate consecutive viewings. You're picking up Delta on the heels of just finishing Frontier so maybe you're experiencing a bit of a surfeit with Macross right now.

Rance-sama said:
It's very rare for me to shit on a show since I rarely watch a series with high expectations, but everyone's all like "10/10 macross!" and then I actually watch it and it's shit. Really makes me want to rant like somebody cares about my opinion.

Fans tend to crap over anyone who doesn't find the show that they like to be perfect, as they do. Some of us have taken flak over having issues with Delta, even if we're still receptive to the series. We're labelled "elitists" or "geewunners".

If those fans had their way, the forums would be useless circle jerks (if they aren't already) where everything is 5 out of 5 and 10 out of 10. This is why it's important to have dissenting opinions, as long as those dissenting opinions have some sound reasoning behind them.

I like the fairness in your opinion. Thumb up bro!

Personally, after rewatching the 1st episode 3 times, I think I hate it less now but I don't know why. I still feel that the characters are a tad bit too simple. (Kinda like Aquarion EVOL).

And not sure about their choices of putting nail polish and revealing costumes onto the girls. It kinda detracts the viewer too much. Character designs are what you expect these days. Kinda bland.

While I have nothing against the song writer and the music compositor, the opening music was a big meh. They got a good beginning until the first chorus and it flopped so badly. It tries to be epic but it's not. The lyrics and the voices make the song stay in the zone between mid to mid-high range and that's not right. You got a great beginning with a V shape pattern, with all that degradian and gradian buildup and you gonna remain kinda static over the end. Not cool.

The other songs are also the run of the mill idol songs and it encounter the same problem. I don't know if it's the lack of experience of the girls or the song writers but the songs really lack the ability to drop or increase the sound wave curve. The consistency is alright across the board but it lacks the ability to give us goose bumps. Conclusion: they are not punchy, they are just catchy and that's kinda bad when you're dealing with the Macross Franchise which a good soundtrack record.

I will still keep an open mind about the series. Also, I don't get why everyone says M7 is bad when in my opinion, it's a great series that's just been dragged a tad bit too long.
Jun 28, 2016 2:40 PM
May 2013
It was okay , I like it . I will keep watching this for a very simple reason : "girigiri ai"
Aug 29, 2016 9:05 AM

Apr 2013
Have not watched a single Macross series due to my dislike towards Mecha but goddamn this is entertaining.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Sep 12, 2016 10:13 AM
Sep 2011
Seriously i laughed so hard when watching ep1 the premise is more ridiculous than Symphogear, but at least the action scene is quite good, i really craved good space/air battle after disappointed when watching IBO Gundam
Sep 29, 2016 3:15 AM

Sep 2014
I just finished the 80's Macross in the same night I watched this, I was expecting more of the same.

What the fuck was that.
That was so dumb.
It was so awesome.
I loved every fucking second.

I'm hype for being able to watch the rest of this.
I love orange haired grill already.
Sep 29, 2016 3:20 AM

Jul 2013
TwinBee20 said:
I just finished the 80's Macross in the same night I watched this, I was expecting more of the same.

What the fuck was that.
That was so dumb.
It was so awesome.

Enjoy while it lasts, I guess I was excited as you as the 1st episode is shining like a bright diamond
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2016 3:35 AM

Sep 2014
Renaultclio101 said:
TwinBee20 said:

What the fuck was that.
That was so dumb.
It was so awesome.

Enjoy while it lasts, I guess I was excited as you as the 1st episode is shining like a bright diamond

Awh nooo.
Does it get bad?
I figured the negative reviews where just because people didn't like how silly it was.

Gr8 waifu taste btw
Sep 29, 2016 5:08 AM

Jul 2013
TwinBee20 said:
Renaultclio101 said:

Awh nooo.
Does it get bad?
I figured the negative reviews where just because people didn't like how silly it was.

Gr8 waifu taste btw

I would say sadly Yes but everyone have different opinions so you may think it is good. I was only interested in the show because when I heard the song it caught my attention.

Thanks I think she is kawaii but not waifu material :)

edit: @TwinBee20 I recommend to watch Macross Frontier but for me walkure have BETTER songs
Renaultclio101Sep 29, 2016 5:12 AM
Jan 1, 10:09 PM

Dec 2012
Been meaning to give the Macross franchise a chance for close to a decade now. Glad I didn't know much about it and went in blind. So far this feels like AKB0048 meets Valvrave...or maybe Gundam is a better example. The CGI mechs feel a bit jarring at times, but the overall animation & art is just so gorgeous. Especially liked that moment when Freyja's heart accessory lit up as she started singing. She's already turning out to be a bundle of fun and hopefully the rest of the cast will follow suit.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

246 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.