Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Dec 14, 2015 8:33 AM

Apr 2011
All that Mikayuu moments lol. I enjoyed them of course.
They changed scenes from the manga but I don't mind at all. I wish they make the animation better in the BD/DVDs.

Based Sawano that piano. And congrats to both Irino and Kensho for their acting.

Mirai TT___TT Eat shit Kureto.

amysenpai said:

While I agree that Mikayuu is the most popular in the Japanese fanbase (more than 60% of it likes it in some form - most in a romantic sense) I hope Kagami doesn't make it canon simply because of the fandom. It would be awful. If he wants to make Mikayuu happen in a romantic sense at the end, that should be his decision and not what the fanbase wants. He knows for sure what is going on with the readers, he is not stupid nor blind but saying that the fanbase would hurt the sales because of their homo ship not happening is a bit over the top. The Japanese fanbase doesn't react to straight ships happening as ridiculous as our side. They don't really care if it happens or not. They simply enjoy what the canon gives them and buy merch and other official art. Of course the magazines and merch are going to pander to them since they are the majority, but it doesn't mean that the author will change the storyline because he is afraid of hurting them and as a result them hurting the sales of his work.

Also, while I don't ship Yuunoa, I don't have any problem with the pairing and I also don't find it forced so far (I love their friendship while I have a strong feeling if Mika and Shinoa interact more it will be more fun). They really didn't had moments you could call romantic or at least let's say half romantic because Shinoa's crush on Yuu is canon. From now on, how this will develop it's a matter of what Kagami wants to do with her and Yuu. In the fanbook the Shinoa team said that the person they most like/care (not sure about the word they used - I forgot) is Yuu while Yuu himself said he likes them all the same so from that Yuu doesn't see her as someone special (yet?). Also, Kagami said that Shinoa directs those feelings on Yuu because Guren and her have a big age difference (not sure if that means she liked Guren in a romantic way and because of the age difference and his past with Mahiru she couldn't do anything or simply because she finds Yuu similar to Guren and has the crush)

Personally, I have no idea what will happen at the end and if anything romantic will happen. I really don't mind either way as long as Kagami writes a good development of it.
Makise11Dec 14, 2015 8:43 AM
Dec 14, 2015 10:33 AM

Nov 2008
xcess090 said:
I knew it was going to happen based on the title of the episode but damn that Fujoshi bait was strong and annoying to see. I love the defense that it is brotherly love when it clearly isn't. I have 6 brothers, none of them acts like that towards the others and even when my eldest brother went to the military for a year and we didn't hear anything from him they still didn't act like that when he came back.

Comparing real relationships to how they are portrayed in anime is just LOL, ok. Your brothers were not created in order to sell a product to a wide audience.

Dec 14, 2015 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
xcess090 said:
I knew it was going to happen based on the title of the episode but damn that Fujoshi bait was strong and annoying to see. I love the defense that it is brotherly love when it clearly isn't. I have 6 brothers, none of them acts like that towards the others and even when my eldest brother went to the military for a year and we didn't hear anything from him they still didn't act like that when he came back.

Comparing real relationships to how they are portrayed in anime is just LOL, ok. Your brothers were not created in order to sell a product to a wide audience.

It is definitely a weird comparison, I'm not denying that but I'm trying to find the basis of all the brotherly love claims some comments defined it as and since I don't watch yaoi/shounen ai or read it for the matter this was my only source of comparison and from my point of view there is nothing brotherly about this. It's true they were created as products to appeal to a wide audience like you said but the thing is the fujoshi part of the audience in this one would be the minority if the demographic (Like @Thess corrected my wrong labeling of it) of the series is indeed shounen which doesn't seem like it most of the time.
Dec 14, 2015 11:10 AM

Jan 2015
I read Loveless and I think ONS could be loosely compared to it. It has the action backstory and also a "central couple" with ambiguous dialogues and scenes. Loveless sells as shounen-ai, though, but Owari have some similar points with Mika and Yuu, so I can see why it tickles the fancy of some fans.
Dec 14, 2015 11:12 AM

Mar 2012
Oh hell No..Mirai ,,,they turned Shiho's sister into a Seraph those bastards....Shit has hit the fan.

Whats worst this is going to end unresolved.....What will happen after this?
Dec 14, 2015 12:12 PM

Oct 2015
Actually using their own sibling's relationships helps get their point across, if you want to make something realistic you take examples from real life, so if Kagami wanted Mika and Yuu to have a brotherly bond he would show more of an actual brotherly bond between them from the beginning, which although may not have lessened the shippers but would give more arguments against why Mika and Yuu may not have romantic feelings for one another. Besides Mika and Yuu have never called each other brothers, only family. Familial relations come in many different shapes and forms e.g siblings, partner (married/non married), pets, friends etc. Which gives Mika and Yuu this flex between romance and platonic emotions.

A lot of people see this episode as 'gay' because of the most obvious things, whereas I feel the romance from more of the subtle scenes, such as the light touches, facial expressions and some of the dialogue.

such as this one, yes me and my (female) friends hold each others faces and yes parent/child relations probably would as well, but I don't see my brother doing this to me, or my cousins to each other (who are also brothers, also around the same age as Mika and Yuu) Yuu's hand was also previously on the back of Mika's head, so why would he move it to cup Mika's cheek? Sure it's most likely WIT trolling us, and that you might have a platonic reasoning, but this is the type of stuff the shippers (and non-shippers) think about, and this is only a small portion of the things people see as 'romance' between these two.

I'm not saying there is romance, you are free to see their relationship as what you like, but just understand that ice cream come in different flavours, as do people, as do relationships. Choose your favourite flavour and enjoy it, don't hate people just because they like something different to you. (< that was more aimed towards everyone)
Dec 14, 2015 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
xcess090 said:

It's wishful thinking in the end anyway which is not going to happen because this "Shounen" has been targeting fujoshis since the start for a reason I still can't understand based on the genre BUT there are only 2 episode left of this and since I got till here I can spend 40 more minutes on the series.

it's actually not a shounen manga. The author himself claimed it as a "dark fantasy" rather than shounen.
Dec 14, 2015 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
xcess090 said:

In the japanese fandom very few regard them as brothers. Heck, it isn't even used as an argument. I don't know where people get the "brother"-idea from. Sure, Yuu calls Mika his family, but so does he with litteraly everybody else. Even Shinoa.
Dec 14, 2015 12:29 PM

Nov 2008
momonsenpai said:
xcess090 said:

It's wishful thinking in the end anyway which is not going to happen because this "Shounen" has been targeting fujoshis since the start for a reason I still can't understand based on the genre BUT there are only 2 episode left of this and since I got till here I can spend 40 more minutes on the series.

it's actually not a shounen manga. The author himself claimed it as a "dark fantasy" rather than shounen.

It is a shounen manga, as it runs in a shounen manga magazine.

Dec 14, 2015 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
momonsenpai said:

It is a shounen manga, as it runs in a shounen manga magazine.

It is posted in a shounen magazine yes, but the author himself claimed it was not. Then shounen might be in the tags but the author won't regard it as a shounen manga thus it won't follow that genre. It might have similar traits but ultimately it's dark fantasy.
Dec 14, 2015 12:37 PM

Nov 2008
momonsenpai said:
Then shounen might be in the tags but the author won't regard it as a shounen manga thus it won't follow that genre.

That might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever head. lol

And where did Takaya say it "wasn't a shounen manga"?

This is from the Japanese wiki:

終わりのセラフ
ジャンル ダーク・ファンタジー
少年漫画、学園

Owari No Seraph
Genre: Dark Fantasy, shounen manga, school

Dec 14, 2015 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
momonsenpai said:
Then shounen might be in the tags but the author won't regard it as a shounen manga thus it won't follow that genre.

That might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever head. lol

And where did Takaya say it "wasn't a shounen manga"?

This is from the Japanese wiki:

終わりのセラフ
ジャンル ダーク・ファンタジー
少年漫画、学園

Owari No Seraph
Genre: Dark Fantasy, shounen manga, school

It will be difficult to find exact source, since he seems to have stated so in a interview.

However it's summed up here: http://mikaxxyu.tumblr.com/post/133798103723/otakutheo-okay-guys-so-i-see-many-people-and
Dec 14, 2015 1:06 PM

Nov 2008
momonsenpai said:

It will be difficult to find exact source, since he seems to have stated so in a interview.

However it's summed up here: http://mikaxxyu.tumblr.com/post/133798103723/otakutheo-okay-guys-so-i-see-many-people-and

You're going to use a MikaYuu shipper's ramblings from tumblr as evidence to back up this claim?

LMAO.

Sorry, but I think the Japanese wiki is more trustworthy. 'Dark Fantasy' is a sub-genre. Like D-Grayman. Or Death Note. It's a shounen manga....and ALSO a dark fantasy.

It's not like ONS is "one or the other".

Dec 14, 2015 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
momonsenpai said:

You're going to use a MikaYuu shipper's ramblings from tumblr as evidence to back up this claim?

LMAO.

Sorry, but I think the Japanese wiki is more trustworthy. 'Dark Fantasy' is a sub-genre. Like D-Grayman. Or Death Note. It's a shounen manga....and ALSO a dark fantasy.

It's not like ONS is "one or the other".

I do agree with you there, tumblr posts should be taken with a grain of salt and honestly it's difficult for me to find a trustworthy source in english.

However as kind as she is my friend provided me with her translation. She is very reliable and not biased when translating original texts or making analysises. : )

http://gomigeemu.tumblr.com/post/119087388083/anime-interview-seraph-of-the-end-guren-sama-is

she also stated that it is shounen too by virtue of running in a shounen genre magazine, that was a mere misunderstanding from my side. I apologize.

I don't intend to get into a war with you about this, I honestly just wanted to state that Kagami himself decides what to do with the story. We see that he touches upon themes that's not for the younger audience, which shounen is mainly aimed at. Whatever happens from here on with the ships is hard to predict. It's all up to the author after all.

However several hints about Mika and Yuu's feelings have been hinted in the fanbooks, so I guess it's not entirely impossible?
Dec 14, 2015 1:43 PM

Mar 2012
Tsukkimaru said:

A lot of people see this episode as 'gay' because of the most obvious things, whereas I feel the romance from more of the subtle scenes, such as the light touches, facial expressions and some of the dialogue.

such as this one, yes me and my (female) friends hold each others faces and yes parent/child relations probably would as well, but I don't see my brother doing this to me, or my cousins to each other (who are also brothers, also around the same age as Mika and Yuu) Yuu's hand was also previously on the back of Mika's head, so why would he move it to cup Mika's cheek? Sure it's most likely WIT trolling us, and that you might have a platonic reasoning, but this is the type of stuff the shippers (and non-shippers) think about, and this is only a small portion of the things people see as 'romance' between these two.

I'm not saying there is romance, you are free to see their relationship as what you like, but just understand that ice cream come in different flavours, as do people, as do relationships. Choose your favourite flavour and enjoy it, don't hate people just because they like something different to you. (< that was more aimed towards everyone)

Which is why I understand the shipping and am fine with it. What I am not fine with is people straight up declaring and arguing them as canon when it's ambiguous as best. I'm a cynic in that I believe it won't ever happen just based on the fact that Japanese culture overall is not open to that sort of relationship and the magazine is just not progressive enough.

So something will always happen to keep such a relationship from going anywhere (if one character doesn't die, the relationship will get ugly and come to an awful end or one will just leave) because of the overall targeted demographic. Just like in Shiki. However, if you listen to the fans, you'd think this was being published outside Japan, which aside of a couple of prefectures, does not recognize homosexual relations in a legal way at all. It will never happen but let fujoshi and fudanshi dream because their contributions support the creators and producers to keep the series ongoing.

On a side note, I thought the No. 6 Novel was one of the biggest cop outs I have ever read in this regard. Atsuko Asano stated several times they were meant to be platonic and seemed to deliberately end the series at a point where things could change and evolve between Shion and Nezumi.
Dec 14, 2015 1:45 PM

Oct 2015
momonsenpai said:
I don't intend to get into a war with you about this, I honestly just wanted to state that Kagami himself decides what to do with the story. We see that he touches upon themes that's not for the younger audience, which shounen is mainly aimed at. Whatever happens from here on with the ships is hard to predict. It's all up to the author after all.

However several hints about Mika and Yuu's feelings have been hinted in the fanbooks, so I guess it's not entirely impossible?

Me and another person already tried saying this, people'll just pull the shounen card again. Also the "it's aimed at a male audience, if they make a gay couple canon they'll lose fans" card (there's the other "the editor won't allow it and they decide what actually happens" one), there's no winning with the die hard 'mikayuu will never happen' side of the fans :P
Dec 14, 2015 1:51 PM

Oct 2015
PinkSheep said:
momonsenpai said:

In the japanese fandom very few regard them as brothers. Heck, it isn't even used as an argument. I don't know where people get the "brother"-idea from. Sure, Yuu calls Mika his family, but so does he with litteraly everybody else. Even Shinoa.

You watched this series and you don't even know?? Yuu has no family so ofc he's gonna treat the people at the orphanage like siblings Mika didn't have familly either sooo it only makes sense

You watched this series and you don't even know?? Yuu has no family so ofc he's gonna treat the people at the Mood Demon Company like siblings, Yoichi/Kimizuki/Shinoa(sort of) doesn't have familly either sooo it only makes sense

Helped you make it a balanced argument ;)
Dec 14, 2015 1:55 PM

Nov 2009
...I wonder why some people forget shounen anime that had official gay couples in them... And lets not forget a lot of gay characters...so why can't OnS have one (a couple or a character) too..? Arguing about all this is ridiculous.
Dec 14, 2015 2:05 PM

Mar 2012
RealExtinction said:
...I wonder why some people forget shounen anime that had official gay couples in them... And lets not forget a lot of gay characters...so why can't OnS have one (a couple or a character) too..? Arguing about all this is ridiculous.

Usually not the main characters. Always a side character or a villain. In the very few in which the main character is confirmed gay, it never ends well. So I see no reason for people to be jumping for joy here that want YuMika to happen. (I say YuMika because at this point if a "move" were possible, it would be Yu doing it and not Mika).
MetaKiteDec 14, 2015 2:11 PM
Dec 14, 2015 2:16 PM

Nov 2008
MetaKite said:
RealExtinction said:

Usually not the main characters. Always a side character or a villain. In the very few in which the main character is confirmed gay, it never ends well..

Basically this. I really can't think of a main gay pairing in any shounen series...even the SUPER gayish ones like CielxSeb.....it seems to be all subtext, right? (I haven't actually finished Kuroshitsuji)

Not to say it "CAN'T EVER HAPPEN" in a shounen series....but I don't think Japan's quite there yet....when it comes to an audience being comfortable with such a thing. I have seen main lesbian couples in shoujo manga....but it seems that Japanese girls are more accepting of same sex ships than Japanese boys are....? At least in my experience.

she also stated that it is shounen too by virtue of running in a shounen genre magazine, that was a mere misunderstanding from my side. I apologize.

's alright. I'm not offended, really. :'D

Dec 14, 2015 2:31 PM

Mar 2012
Chiibi said:

Not to say it "CAN'T EVER HAPPEN" in a shounen series....but I don't think Japan's quite there yet....when it comes to an audience being comfortable with such a thing. I have seen main lesbian couples in shoujo manga....but it seems that Japanese girls are more accepting of same sex ships than Japanese boys are....? At least in my experience.

Bingo. Like I said in my previous posts, Japan is not progressive enough in their culture. Just not there yet. That's why the term "fujoshi" is a NEGATIVE term and not really a word to describe a fandom in Japan. Being called a fujoshi is not actually a good thing whereas western readers would openly use that term in a positive light.
Dec 14, 2015 2:37 PM

Nov 2008
Well, the literal meaning of "fujoshi" is "rotten woman" so.....XD I mean....yeah, it's not "good". lol

Dec 14, 2015 2:42 PM

Mar 2012
Chiibi said:
Well, the literal meaning of "fujoshi" is "rotten woman" so.....XD I mean....yeah, it's not "good". lol
Yeah, I know but you will be surprised how many throw that term around and say they are a proud fujoshi but have no idea what it means and don't even care to understand the cultural roots (and why their fave OTP will not happen). Just like many western "otaku" in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.
Dec 14, 2015 2:47 PM

Oct 2015
MetaKite said:
Chiibi said:
Yeah, I know but you will be surprised how many throw that term around and say they are a proud fujoshi but have no idea what it means. Just like many western "otaku" in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

It's because it's fun to :P, since people use it as an insult, calling girls who like yaoi 'fujoshits' so it's like 'yeah I'm a fujoshi, fight me!", especially if you know the meaning, it's ironic. It's like my sig, I do it for the shits and giggles
Dec 14, 2015 2:48 PM

Mar 2012
Tsukkimaru said:
It's because it's fun to :P, since people use it as an insult, calling girls who like yaoi 'fujoshits' so it's like 'yeah I'm a fujoshi, fight me!", especially if you know the meaning, it's ironic. It's like my sig, I do it for the shits and giggles

LOL Tsukkimaru, you don't count because you know the meaning. Which kinda makes you a tease. :P
Dec 14, 2015 2:55 PM

Oct 2015
MetaKite said:
Tsukkimaru said:

LOL Tsukkimaru, you don't count because you know the meaning. Which kinda makes you a tease. :P

I have to admit it is hilarious watching the serious fujos, it's kinda cringy and I get second-hand embarrassment but it's still hilarious.

(I like teasing ;) )
Dec 14, 2015 4:24 PM

Nov 2012
RealExtinction said:

Well, I don't really care if they are gay or not. What I find annoying is that it is way too corny. There isn't a single episode where the whole family shit isn't mention a couple times. Even if one of them were a girl, I would still find them annoying....
Dec 14, 2015 5:29 PM

Sep 2010
xcess090 said:
It's true they were created as products to appeal to a wide audience like you said but the thing is the fujoshi part of the audience in this one would be the minority if the demographic (Like @Thess corrected my wrong labeling of it) of the series is indeed shounen which doesn't seem like it most of the time.

It's fine! I sorry for correcting you, but it bothers me when some fans disregard romance (even heterosexual) or homoeroticism throwing lines "it's a shounen" like all shounen were identical.

Not even because I like or care about romance, it's a pet peeve. There is romantic shounen manga and there is shounen manga with gay main characters like Shiki, the example I feel is the closest because Owari kind of replaced it as the main pretty boy vampire manga serialized there.

Furthermore, there are many cases of titles switching to other magazines because the demographics shift which I can easily see Kagami do for this manga if it gets darker. Many shounen became seinen, for instance. And many shounen stories that, like Owari, are purchased mostly by women: like Kuroshitsuji, for example. Trying to be married to a demographic that's already very tenuous seems very pointless to me.

I think arguments shouldn't rely on meta, just canon information (databooks) and canon examples (pages/scenes) for your interpretation. "Family" is undoubtedly sexualized and romanticized in Owari no Seraph, not just between Mika and Yuu, but also Krul and Mika, and Shinoa squad and Yuu. This doesn't mean they'll be hooking up as couples, but nobody should kid themselves they are oh-so platonic because that seems pretty delusional.

Ferid has teased Mika with Yuu and he hasn't used any "brotherly" language, Gurren has teased Shinoa with Yuu too. Krul claims to be a "mother" but she smooched Mika.
ThessDec 14, 2015 5:46 PM
Dec 14, 2015 6:55 PM

Nov 2008
MetaKite said:
Chiibi said:
Yeah, I know but you will be surprised how many throw that term around and say they are a proud fujoshi but have no idea what it means and don't even care to understand the cultural roots (and why their fave OTP will not happen). Just like many western "otaku" in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

I still call myself an 'otaku'....since my favorite manga-ka calls herself that....I figure it's not such a big negative deal anymore. XD

Dec 14, 2015 9:23 PM

Oct 2008
Fuck with this gay M2M moments...it disgust me!
3/5.

Dec 14, 2015 9:47 PM

Nov 2012
That was cute~
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
Dec 14, 2015 11:37 PM

Sep 2014
Thess said:

"Family" is undoubtedly sexualized and romanticized in Owari no Seraph, not just between Mika and Yuu, but also Krul and Mika, and Shinoa squad and Yuu. This doesn't mean they'll be hooking up as couples, but nobody should kid themselves they are oh-so platonic because that seems pretty delusional.

Ferid has teased Mika with Yuu and he hasn't used any "brotherly" language, Gurren has teased Shinoa with Yuu too. Krul claims to be a "mother" but she smooched Mika.

Not really. I mean, neither Mika nor Krul found the kiss sexual or romantic in anyway. Cos it wasn't. The kiss was literally just to make him a vampire. That's like saying that a political marriage has all the love a romantic marriage has. It simply doesn't.

Also the other examples make no sense. >.>
The sun is a deadly laser
Dec 15, 2015 6:54 AM

Jan 2014
Okay.

What the fuck.

Not only did they rush about three chapters worth of information that are vital to understanding the Seraphs but they used said screentime that could have been used for said information to romanticize a two page long blood-sucking fujioshi-bait scene.

Way to fucking go. GOOD JOB, WIT. NOW I REAAAAAALLY CAN'T WAIT FOR AOT SEASON 2.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2015 8:45 AM

Jun 2013
Dec 15, 2015 8:51 AM

Nov 2008
PinkSheep said:
Chiibi said:

I still call myself an 'otaku'....since my favorite manga-ka calls herself that....I figure it's not such a big negative deal anymore. XD

I don't call myself any of that cause it sounds weeb af

Nah, 'weeb' is when you mix Japanese with English and totally spell it wrong. lol

Dec 15, 2015 9:42 AM

Nov 2009
Chiibi said:
I really can't think of a main gay pairing in any shounen series...

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Shinsekai Yori, No.6, X/Tokyo Babylon, Sailor Moon had one, Yu Yu Hakusho had one, Zabuza/Haku from Naruto are practically official, there was something in Jojo too (in one of the later parts, not the first ones, but I haven't caught up with it yet so I wouldn't know for sure, I apologize for this).........and this is not even listing official gay characters (I can list them if you wish).

Out of the listed series, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Shinsekai Yori, No.6 and Tokyo Babylon had main gay pairings.

Guys, what are you all even talking about here........? Just because you don't like a couple or find it repulsive just because it's gay doesn't mean it can't happen.

jose21 said:
Even if one of them were a girl, I would still find them annoying....

I sincerely doubt that, sorry... You would have overlooked it or let it slide because that's usually what happens when one of the people in a couple is a girl.

Btw, would anyone care to explain me why "hetbait" is not a popular term? I'm all ears.
RealExtinctionDec 15, 2015 10:13 AM
Dec 15, 2015 11:26 AM

Dec 2012
Even if Mikayuu were to happen I'll still see it as a platonic ship. Like come on,they wouldn't fuck that's what doujins are for.
Also,Kuroshitsuji is gay af but only in appearance,not in essence. That seems to be the case in OnS too.

PinkSheep said:
I don't call myself any of that cause it sounds weeb af
truth
Dec 15, 2015 11:40 AM

Oct 2015
kawaii-despair said:
Even if Mikayuu were to happen I'll still see it as a platonic ship. Like come on,they wouldn't fuck that's what doujins are for.
Also,Kuroshitsuji is gay af but only in appearance,not in essence. That seems to be the case in OnS too.

Tbh I see Mikayuu being platonic and also romantic, not so much sexual even though I've written smut fics /shot/

The gayness in Kuro honestly made me so uncomfortable, I hate sebaciel and the shippers, the show would have been better as pure darkness and teen angst.
Dec 15, 2015 1:25 PM

Oct 2013
This was gay as fuck
Dec 15, 2015 1:42 PM

Apr 2011
RealExtinction said:
Btw, would anyone care to explain me why "hetbait" is not a popular term? I'm all ears.

This is my own interpretation of the term 'hetbait' so nothing that is 'official'. More how I think about it and feel free to disagree of course.
So, for me 'hetbait' is not a popular term simply because in most anime/manga stories, unless is stated in the genres of it that the story involves bl-gl-etc., anything other than that (including shoujo, romance tags) implies, or wants to say that the characters are by default heterosexuals. What I mean by this is, when you start reading a story with action, mystery, psychological genres you are not expecting romance to bloom in the story even though there is a very slight chance of it happening. But the romance it will involve is mostly about a man and a woman, not characters of the same sex. Of course there are always surprises with this, but if you look at the shounen genre the chances of a homosexual pairing happening are very slim. Not 0% but lower than 5%.

So when people here say that the episode is 'fujobait' they mean that the whole relationship of Yuu and Mika is there to attract fujoshi fans. While they accept these two are important for each other, the way is portrayed is close to what fujoshi like to watch/read and most of the time for them it's not important to the plot or story, but is there for fanservice time.

Anyways, this is how I see the whole thing when it involves episodes like this. Of course I haven't talk about it with other people so if you see anything you disagree with or think is wrong feel free to correct me.

Tsukkimaru said:
[spoiler]
kawaii-despair said:

Tbh I see Mikayuu being platonic and also romantic, not so much sexual even though I've written smut fics /shot/

The gayness in Kuro honestly made me so uncomfortable, I hate sebaciel and the shippers, the show would have been better as pure darkness and teen angst.[spoiler]

I have to agree with both of you. I see Mikayuu in more platonic and romantic sense than sexual. yes, I have read them dirty fics ahem. I care more about the love they have for each other than anything regarding sexual implications.
Makise11Dec 15, 2015 1:45 PM
Dec 15, 2015 6:03 PM

Jul 2014
Loved every single second of this episode. My MikaYuu ship better sail.
Dec 15, 2015 6:58 PM

Nov 2009
yuyyuka said:
RealExtinction said:

This is my own interpretation of the term 'hetbait' so nothing that is 'official'. More how I think about it and feel free to disagree of course.
So, for me 'hetbait' is not a popular term simply because in most anime/manga stories, unless is stated in the genres of it that the story involves bl-gl-etc., anything other than that (including shoujo, romance tags) implies, or wants to say that the characters are by default heterosexuals. What I mean by this is, when you start reading a story with action, mystery, psychological genres you are not expecting romance to bloom in the story even though there is a very slight chance of it happening. But the romance it will involve is mostly about a man and a woman, not characters of the same sex. Of course there are always surprises with this, but if you look at the shounen genre the chances of a homosexual pairing happening are very slim. Not 0% but lower than 5%.

So when people here say that the episode is 'fujobait' they mean that the whole relationship of Yuu and Mika is there to attract fujoshi fans. While they accept these two are important for each other, the way is portrayed is close to what fujoshi like to watch/read and most of the time for them it's not important to the plot or story, but is there for fanservice time.

Anyways, this is how I see the whole thing when it involves episodes like this. Of course I haven't talk about it with other people so if you see anything you disagree with or think is wrong feel free to correct me.

Thanks for the explanation, I was wondering what anyone thought about this but now I get it...

And I seem to have stumbled on a rather hypocritical subject I never would have even thought of if it wasn't for this thread, screaming "fujobait" all around as if guys can't like this sort of trash, or as if it was a proven fact that Yuu/Mika is not official...let's wait for the end of the manga shall we..? K thanks.
Dec 16, 2015 1:01 AM
May 2015
Ritshiro said:
kawaii-despair said:
You could see the rainbows in today’s episode
That was 1000 times gayer than in the manga(not that I'm complaining) and it surely is my favorite episode

wink wink

YES! I'm fangirling so hard with the whole scene <3 god bless fujobait.

I almost died when Yuu said that in almost a sexual way.

The whole episode was completely for Fujoshis. XD I'm completely amused.
Dec 16, 2015 2:28 AM

Jun 2013
Damn this episode was straight up gay. The amount of homoeroticism this episode is too fucking high
Dec 16, 2015 2:41 AM

Mar 2013
There better be twice the blood and killing next episode to make up for the gayness, oh wait...
Dec 16, 2015 4:11 AM

Jan 2011
Come on, you can deny the homoerotic overtones. Vampiric bloodsucking always has a sexual subtext to it.
Dec 16, 2015 5:42 AM

Jan 2014
I'm smiling the whole ep tht shonen ai and romance subtle tho O.o
wonder if Mika have a romantic feeling for Yuu or only family bond cuz this whole ep make Mikayuu like canon not ship anymore humm.

Don't read the manga though so cant tell the difference!

Dec 16, 2015 6:57 AM

Apr 2011
RealExtinction said:

Thanks for the explanation, I was wondering what anyone thought about this but now I get it...

And I seem to have stumbled on a rather hypocritical subject I never would have even thought of if it wasn't for this thread, screaming "fujobait" all around as if guys can't like this sort of trash, or as if it was a proven fact that Yuu/Mika is not official...let's wait for the end of the manga shall we..? K thanks.

You are welcome.

Yes, the term 'fujobait' is used whenever two guys or more have close, intimate scenes which for most male watchers/readers is nothing serious but just fanservice for the fujoshi. They really delete the whole importance of a scene like that. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is not fanservice in this episode but it's NOT only that. The scenes between them were not created to focus on that but rather on how the relationship between Yuu and Mika have changed, the risks they are willing to take, how they will move from now on etc.

And yes, we better wait for the end of the manga. I really don't think Mikayuu will happen but you never know.

PinkSheep said:

Fanfics are crap Ofc this rumor starts that vampires drink blood to replace sex I don't believe that I read people posting apparently both people feel good when they're drinking but I don't think that's true at all from what I've seen

This piece of information is not a rumor. It was stated in the new official fanbook. There it says that both parties, a vampire and a human/vampire, can 'feel good/heated up' when the vampire drinks blood directly from them.

I don't know what scenes you have watched/read but If anything both the manga and anime empathize that drinking blood directly it's meant as a symbolism of sex or something very close to it. Vampires reproduce by sharing their blood and can only drink blood. So at least some physical body reactions that are similar to humans are also shared by them.

And the whole drinking blood that is related to sex came from folklore, social interactions (there is a reason why the first vampires 'appear' in Eastern Europe and close to the Asia continent) and literature. Kagami is not the first to use it nor the last. It's almost in every piece of media that has to do with vampires.
Dec 16, 2015 7:19 AM

Mar 2013
Yaoi should add into the genres list of this anime :>
Dec 16, 2015 1:05 PM

Jun 2007
If someone told me that Owari no Seraph was adapted from a yaoi doujinshi, I'd believe it.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Season 3?

RealityChanges - Jul 1, 2023

49 by Alex_the_reaper »»
Feb 10, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Owari no Seraph: Nagoya Kessen-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2015

468 by Hanarose72 »»
Jan 6, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Owari no Seraph: Nagoya Kessen-hen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2015

207 by Craneface »»
Nov 12, 2023 1:00 PM

Poll: » Owari no Seraph: Nagoya Kessen-hen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2015

245 by Desaturate »»
Jul 16, 2023 6:51 AM

Poll: » Owari no Seraph: Nagoya Kessen-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

184 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 29, 2023 5:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.