Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 27, 2015 2:45 PM

Nov 2013
This is just me being curious,but has there ever been an instance where an anime was created based on Chinese sources? Be it books..novels,or other sources
I have recently started reading this book called Against the Gods and i personally thought it would be interesting to have an anime with Chinese inspirations.

If it was,have you enjoyed watching it(them)? Were there any big difference in terms of plot/art etc?

If not,would you want for this to happen?

Of course,there may be some obstacles which may interfere with them creating one(dunno..culture uhm...all that stuff) but even so, i strongly believe it would be a rather refreshing thing to happen >w<

Oh..if this thread does not fit the topic please feel free to remove it i just wanted to hear others` thoughts on this ~~ :DD
This is where I`d put my signature...If i had one.
Nov 27, 2015 2:46 PM

Apr 2014
3 kingdom?
Nov 27, 2015 2:49 PM

Jan 2008
Chu Feng: B.E.E is a anime based off a Chinese Manhua or something.
Nov 27, 2015 2:49 PM

Apr 2012
Paul said:
Chu Feng: B.E.E is a anime based off a Chinese Manhua.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 27, 2015 2:53 PM

Nov 2011
There's a very obscure anime that was somewhat based on Journey to the West. I doubt you've heard of it though. I think it was called Dragon Ball but I'm not sure.
Nov 27, 2015 2:57 PM

Oct 2012
Off the top of my head these would be the classic ones:

Journey to the West (Xiyouji) -> Dragonball/Saiyuki (anything with a Sun Wukong/Goku reference)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguo Yanyi)/ Records of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguo Zhi)-> anything Sangoku related
Investiture of the Gods (Feng Shen Yanyi)-> Houshin Engi
Nov 27, 2015 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Romance of the Three Kingdoms - LotGH
Nov 27, 2015 6:05 PM

Oct 2013
Some of the Wuxia (Chinese Mystical Kung Fu) novels by Jin Yong can easily be adapted into anime.

For example, The Legend of the Condor Heroes can easily turn into a battle shounen with a Holo-style main heroine, filled with great plot, world building, consistent and complex battle/power mechanics, etc.

Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils can very well turn into a Durarara/Baccano/HxH style anime with focus switching between 3 main characters.

The Deer and the Cauldron would turn into a proper harem anime with a protagonist Troll.

A lot of Jin Yong's works bear similarity to battle shounen, so I imagine he probably found some of his inspiration from very early manga works. Manga/anime in general took inspiration from Wuxia (which is older than Jin Yong) though, so I'm not really sure which is which. However, the overall plot and setting of Jin Yong's works are significantly more articulated than your average anime. He's practically the Chinese Stephen King.

See more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yong
Rather than reading the plot and spoiling yourself, it may be a good idea to simply read translations of the novels. I can't vouch for the quality of the translation, since I read the original books in Chinese. However, the writing should be on a different tier from your average LNs: http://wuxiasociety.com/translations/
RinthNov 27, 2015 6:16 PM
Nov 27, 2015 6:33 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah that would be cool, but there's that cultural conflict.
As an aside, there are actually chinese shows, it's crazy I know.
Nov 27, 2015 6:49 PM

Feb 2015
I've heard good things of 1/2 prince, seems like it could be a good anime
Nov 27, 2015 6:53 PM

Sep 2009
There are tons of adaptations of Chinese literature, but none of Chinese media (Manhua).
I'd really like to see it happen though, because Chinese art is far more focused on aestheticism, rather than what consumers want (aka Japan).
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 27, 2015 7:03 PM

Oct 2015
lol, coincidence. I have just been looking up on William L. Marshall, to see what other books beyond those I already own I could buy myself for like Christmas. :D
Doing so, I wondered if these could not be made into some extraordinary Hong Kong "anime" - a series of films, not short episodes.

Although I would prefer it if they would be Japanese-made, and then actually, in one of the stories, be very open about Japanese occupation of Hong Kong back @ WW2 times and the atrocities.

Of course I would want it to have some decent budget, and maybe whoever was responsible for the art in Ping Pong should be involved.

---------------------------
Rinth said:
Some of the Wuxia […] can easily be adapted into anime.

Oh Gawd, please no!
This already effectively destroyed/continues to destroy Mainland China's cinema. Enough with this wuxia shit already.
BannoBunka_snorkNov 27, 2015 7:13 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 27, 2015 7:07 PM

May 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
There are tons of adaptations of Chinese literature, but none of Chinese media (Manhua).
I'd really like to see it happen though, because Chinese art is far more focused on aestheticism, rather than what consumers want (aka Japan).

Could you link an example of Chinese art in this context? I'm very unfamiliar with the Chinese side of things.

Nov 27, 2015 10:16 PM

Dec 2012
Legend of the Condor Hero
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 27, 2015 10:19 PM

Feb 2013
Are there any 红楼梦 anime? Best book I've ever read
Nov 27, 2015 10:36 PM

Sep 2009
Nymphias said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Could you link an example of Chinese art in this context? I'm very unfamiliar with the Chinese side of things.

Not most of them (especially not now with the new webtoon trend), but the good art looks a lot more detailed and unique than most of what I see. Some manhua with examples:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/10797/Xing_Gui_Shi_Tian_Kong_De_Dao_Lu
http://myanimelist.net/manga/41179/Gu_Fang_Bu_Zi_Shang

Now that I think about it; it's just that the Chinese "Shoujo" genre I find tends to be more detailed. Why the hell are Japanese Shoujo manga so poorly drawn?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 27, 2015 10:42 PM

Jan 2015
Paul said:
Chu Feng: B.E.E is a anime based off a Chinese Manhua or something.
Ist from School Shock iirc
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jan 3, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2013
Ooook i noted down your suggestions i thank you all for replying here and recommending me some of them!!! ^~^

If anyone of you has more i would apreciate it if you would share them with me~~~ :DDDD
Jan 3, 2016 10:18 AM

Dec 2015
Anime is Japanese. Anything from China is usually filtered through Japanese culture enough that it's Japanese anyway.
Jan 3, 2016 10:31 AM

May 2013
Not sure if there has been one or not, but if it were possible, I'd want to see my favourite Manhua, Chicken Cutlet Princess get an adaptation someday.

It'll never happen though T_T
Jan 3, 2016 10:35 AM

Aug 2015
You might want to wait for the premier of this show this Winter 2016:
Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage
Jan 4, 2016 3:55 AM
May 2009
SoulReeps said:
This is just me being curious,but has there ever been an instance where an anime was created based on Chinese sources? Be it books..novels,or other sources
I have recently started reading this book called Against the Gods and i personally thought it would be interesting to have an anime with Chinese inspirations.

If it was,have you enjoyed watching it(them)? Were there any big difference in terms of plot/art etc?

If not,would you want for this to happen?

Of course,there may be some obstacles which may interfere with them creating one(dunno..culture uhm...all that stuff) but even so, i strongly believe it would be a rather refreshing thing to happen >w<

Oh..if this thread does not fit the topic please feel free to remove it i just wanted to hear others` thoughts on this ~~ :DD

First of all Dragon Ball, Journey to the west inspired to a point.
Water Margin, Suikoden series in Game and anime.
Three Kingdom - Three Kingdom, Souten Kouro.
Kingdom - Chinese History Inspired.

Than you have Chinese Manhua which is getting animated as we speak for the Chinese masses by the Chinese.
Jan 4, 2016 4:40 AM

Apr 2013
Anime can't handle Xinxia novels such as Douluo Dalu (the novel not the shitty Disney tier manhua adaption) and Ni Tian Xie Shen. Too much sexually explicit and violent content even for anime.

Yun Che the harem king would put characters like Keima from TWOGK to shame.
Jan 5, 2016 5:46 AM

Nov 2013
hoopla123 said:

Yun Che the harem king would put characters like Keima from TWOGK to shame.

10000000000% AGREED!
Also Chu Feng from MGA!! Damn they are bosses!!! :))))
Jan 5, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2008
What's the REAL difference between Japan and China?
Jan 5, 2016 6:42 AM

Nov 2014
JustALEX said:
What's the REAL difference between Japan and China?
Territory and lineage. What is the difference between Americans and British then?
ExTemplarJan 5, 2016 6:42 AM

More topics from this board

» Would you allow an anime robot resembling an attractive human female to take your virginity?

TsutanaiFuun - 7 hours ago

32 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
7 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

23 by BitChilly »»
7 minutes ago

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - May 11

31 by BitChilly »»
11 minutes ago

» What do you wish to see ??

Lion_Sin - 8 hours ago

23 by weebtoge »»
11 minutes ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - Yesterday

37 by pk8list »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.