Forum Settings
Forums

Do Anime try to hard for plot twists and over the top stuff ? Opinions?

New
Nov 26, 2015 7:17 PM

Jul 2015
I have just been thinking lately while watching. I hate when a anime you'll be watching is going with one whole tone and it's going great and your really getting into it but then seemingly just for the sack of nothing or trying to please people wanting "original" anime they will throw in some crazy plot twist 3 quarters into the series which completely changes the vibe/tone of it and pretty much shakes up everything that was good about it. Now don't get me wrong plot twists in certain anime and good solid plot twists can be great if it makes sense and doesn't 360 the whole show or if you know the shows just one of those crazy kinda shows and plot twists are just what happens but it seems to me they try to hard in anime to be different/exciting when honestly now days it's become more "original" and different to actually stick with a solid plot and tone well and go with it through out then for some crazy plot twist to happen.

I'm seriously pretty much already expecting the main charrie in anime now days for like the good sweet nice kind charrie that seems genuine and to be a good person for no reason other than shock value and a 2 second plot device 3 quarters into the show to be a serial killer and the evil demonic dude that's slaying stuff to turn out to just be a good guy who went bad and he's actually great changes back to being good to save the day and brood quietly. [SPOILERS COMING]

An example just off the top of my head because i haven't really thought deeply about this just came up randomly. For anyone that has seen Absolute Duo love it hate it in different doesn't matter. I thought it was pretty good. I have heard from light novel readers [could be wrong haven't read it and have second hand info but doesn't matter regardless i'm just using this story as an example if they would have done this.] I have heard that in the up to date lns that Julie is possibly a evil assassin that has killed 4 people lololol as well as Tors sister is alive lol. For sake let's say this stuff is true and if not things like this due happen all the time in anime. Now how in the hell with her past and charrie already built up and how she is do you make Julie a killer assassin that has killed 4 people haha it's laughable. Then the better example is Tors sister because this is a common one.

The whole premise of Tor the main charrie is that he's got his power and is getting stronger with it because of what happened to his sister and wanting to be able to protect people. Instead of continuing the story and progressing and having a charrie deal with a real experience like that you pull the ohhhh that didn't really happen theres 50 crazy secrets and shes alive conspiracy crap haha.

Anyway long post but I was bored and had just been thinking about this and was wondering if anyone else thought that alot of anime should quit trying so hard to be shocking and just focus on the story.
Nov 26, 2015 7:19 PM

Jul 2014
Nice blog post.
Nov 26, 2015 7:25 PM

Feb 2013
Cody_Abbott said:
I'm seriously pretty much already expecting the main charrie in anime now days for like the good sweet nice kind charrie that seems genuine and to be a good person for no reason other than shock value and a 2 second plot device 3 quarters into the show to be a serial killer and the evil demonic dude that's slaying stuff to turn out to just be a good guy who went bad and he's actually great changes back to being good to save the day and brood quietly.
youre watching the wrong shows obviously
Nov 26, 2015 7:27 PM

Jul 2015
Absolute Duo was weird, never got past episode 3.

Anime just isn't very good at telling stories in general, but a bit of blame has to be put on the source material as well. If there are no twists, everything would be smooth sailing, and without conflict, the shows aren't interesting at all.

This stuff needs to sell and entertain m8
Nov 26, 2015 7:37 PM

Jul 2015
Kyoukek said:
Absolute Duo was weird, never got past episode 3.

Anime just isn't very good at telling stories in general, but a bit of blame has to be put on the source material as well. If there are no twists, everything would be smooth sailing, and without conflict, the shows aren't interesting at all.

This stuff needs to sell and entertain m8
There is a huge difference between conflict and random uncharacteristic plot twists though. Obviously a show has to have problems and things to cause drama but what i'm saying is they don't need a crazy twist and also does it really need to not be smooth sailing to be entertaining ? That is sort of a taste thing . Obviously for like a fantasy/action//mystery anime or something of that sort you would need more but for people that like sort of romance anime and stuff for "feels" for lack of a better word you don't really need as much but trust me I get what you'r saying.

Also don't blame you Duos not perfect by any means and i'm not a crazed fan myself. I just liked it. I would tell you tho it's one of those shows that stuff starts making more sense and it get's better especially the charries as it goes. Also if your not just into the sorta battle anime with a little drama/feels type stuff then prolly not for you.
Nov 27, 2015 8:12 PM

Oct 2010
The more you watch anime, the more normal that seems to be. Also, the stuff you mentioned wont really make sense in the anime and this coming from someone who used to read the LN for Duo since its a background story for Julie. As for Tooru, I forgot about his sister.

Still, Duo sense of plot twist is still far better than what the second season of Aldnoah Zero. That was literally ass-pull since the hero survive a gunshot in close distance when it hit the head area.
Nov 27, 2015 8:13 PM

Sep 2009
I don't think they "try," they just do it. And if it's too unreasonable, then it becomes contrived, and that's very very unfortunate.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 27, 2015 8:44 PM

Jul 2015
mlcdl said:
The more you watch anime, the more normal that seems to be. Also, the stuff you mentioned wont really make sense in the anime and this coming from someone who used to read the LN for Duo since its a background story for Julie. As for Tooru, I forgot about his sister.

Still, Duo sense of plot twist is still far better than what the second season of Aldnoah Zero. That was literally ass-pull since the hero survive a gunshot in close distance when it hit the head area.
I see and like I said haven't read the lns but honestly unless from the jump there 180 degree different from the anime which i've heard there not pretty close up until the anime ends then that happening with Julie would make no sense in a million different ways lol. Wouldn't fit her personality it would make her past not really make sense. It would make her coming to the academy and her reason for it not really make sense and it wouldn't really make sense pure physically. If she done that in her past that would mean it was when she wasn't even as strong as she was in the anime and even in the anime until the very end shes not that strong compared to alot of others lillith,most villians,even Tor and so on so it wouldn't even really make sense for her to be a top secret assassin like when she was even weaker and younger.

As for the other anime you mentioned. I haven't seen it but that doesn't even sound like a plot twist that's just godmodding/being to unrealistic and not caring.Similar thing that way kind happened in duo as well but not as bad. The whole K stabbing straight through Tor while he was already pretty hurt and dropping to where even Julie thought he was. Then minutes later is seemingly perfectly fine and goes ham and fights again and wins.
Nov 28, 2015 6:32 AM

Oct 2010
Cody_Abbott said:
mlcdl said:

I see and like I said haven't read the lns but honestly unless from the jump there 180 degree different from the anime which i've heard there not pretty close up until the anime ends then that happening with Julie would make no sense in a million different ways lol. Wouldn't fit her personality it would make her past not really make sense. It would make her coming to the academy and her reason for it not really make sense and it wouldn't really make sense pure physically. If she done that in her past that would mean it was when she wasn't even as strong as she was in the anime and even in the anime until the very end shes not that strong compared to alot of others lillith,most villians,even Tor and so on so it wouldn't even really make sense for her to be a top secret assassin like when she was even weaker and younger.

As for the other anime you mentioned. I haven't seen it but that doesn't even sound like a plot twist that's just godmodding/being to unrealistic and not caring.Similar thing that way kind happened in duo as well but not as bad. The whole K stabbing straight through Tor while he was already pretty hurt and dropping to where even Julie thought he was. Then minutes later is seemingly perfectly fine and goes ham and fights again and wins.

To spoil you about Julie past..

Also, you over-analyze Duo. A lot of stories like Duo have such issue like a normal thing.
Nov 28, 2015 6:56 AM

Jan 2015
It's not specific to anime. Have you seen the last James Bond ? that "Haha I've been the reason behind every problem occuring in your life thus far" twist ?

The more we go, the more it's hard to come up with entirely new concepts and ideas in terms of fiction and plots. Some of the biggest and most acclaimed movies are just "reboots" of existing ideas. Just watch Paprika and Inception back to back and you'll see.

So now, it's really hard to propose once-in-a-lifetime experiences to people who have been roaming the fiction world for some time. That's why remakes and spin-offs are so popular atm, because you don't have to come up with something new.

And if you try to innovate, it'll be hit or miss most of the times.
HapHazrDNov 28, 2015 7:01 AM

More topics from this board

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

10 by TheMechaManiac »»
40 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

32 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
17 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.