Forum Settings
Forums

Remove the "Cancel" button for forum posts

New
Nov 4, 2015 3:58 PM

Sep 2012
When you do "quick reply" on a topic, the "submit" button and "cancel" button are way too close together.

I rarely hit the wrong one, but that 1 out of 100 times I accidentally do, it's just needlessly frustrating. Does anybody even use the cancel button? Like if you decide not to post something, just refresh the page. Or delete your text.

It's a useless feature, that only serves to make the experience of posting on the forum worse. Nothing is more obnoxious than when you put effort into a post, only to have it all completely deleted (with no way of recovery) because your mouse was accidentally 1/2 of a centimeter to the right.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
TenshoJul 6, 2017 12:53 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 4, 2015 4:37 PM

Nov 2014
Don't know I never made a mistake like you, maybe you are rushing things too much.

On the other hand I somewhat aggree with the removal since its not serve its purpose completely (it clears the text, but the box remain open).

So fix it , remove it or rename it to clear.
DelenaiNov 4, 2015 4:41 PM
Nov 4, 2015 4:50 PM

Oct 2015
Just change it into a "preview" button. :D

Then I would not have to "copy all", go to the top, click "Post New Reply", paste all - just so I can have a preview feature available.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 4, 2015 5:11 PM

Feb 2010
Red_Keys said:
Nothing is more obnoxious than when you put effort into a post, only to have it all completely deleted (with no way of recovery) because your mouse was accidentally 1/2 of a centimeter to the right.
Just press Ctrl+Z.
Nov 4, 2015 5:51 PM

Feb 2013
BannoBunka_snork said:
Just change it into a "preview" button. :D

Then I would not have to "copy all", go to the top, click "Post New Reply", paste all - just so I can have a preview feature available.
+1
It's annoying to have to go back to the top of the page to get to the "real" post page.

And yes, "cancel" is useless.
Nov 4, 2015 5:52 PM

Jul 2012
Agreed. Just take it out completely.
Nov 4, 2015 5:55 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
vivan said:
Red_Keys said:
Nothing is more obnoxious than when you put effort into a post, only to have it all completely deleted (with no way of recovery) because your mouse was accidentally 1/2 of a centimeter to the right.
Just press Ctrl+Z.

Ctrl+Z doesn't work on "Quick Reply" box once you click "Cancel." So yes, it's should be replaced or removed entirely.

Nov 4, 2015 6:24 PM

Feb 2010
Vindstot said:
Ctrl+Z doesn't work on "Quick Reply" box once you click "Cancel.".
It works in opera and ff. Doesn't work in chrome.
Nov 5, 2015 4:53 AM
Mar 2014
Agreed with changing it to a preview button. Please.
Nov 5, 2015 4:56 AM

Jan 2009
traed suggested something similar about the cancel button afaik

and i said on that thread to just prompt the user of a confirmation box on whether the user likes to cancel it or not

like when you click the cancel button it will give you this

Nov 5, 2015 5:49 AM

Mar 2008
I made a suggestion that all cancel and delete options should be spaced out from other options
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1434804

Although yeah the cancel button in the quick reply is effectively useless as all it does is delete the text and I doubt anyone even uses it.

Nov 5, 2015 6:09 AM

Apr 2011
Wait... the cancel button works?

EDIT: Well... what do you know, it does work.
Nov 5, 2015 6:13 AM

Oct 2009
vivan said:
Vindstot said:

You may try an extension called Lazarus: Form Recovery
Nov 5, 2015 9:36 AM

Apr 2013
vivan said:
Vindstot said:

It actually doesn't work on Opera, just tested again just to be sure.

I had the same problem of Op several time so I agree. Either move that button, remove it since it's absolutely useless except provinding you the possibility of making a mistake by clicking on it, or at least ask for a confirmation.
Nov 5, 2015 4:04 PM

Feb 2010
Zefyris said:
It actually doesn't work on Opera, just tested again just to be sure.
I was talking about real Opera, not that Chrome reskin.
Nov 6, 2015 7:57 AM

Apr 2013
If you mean Opera 12 that I was liking a lot, too many websites nowadays detect that as a "too old browser" and ask you to change to access the website, so that's not really an option anymore...
Also I don't know why but since several months MAL has stopped displaying a lot of embedded pictures when you use that one. So yeah, using that on mal isn't really an option, except if I'm missing something here.
Nov 6, 2015 7:58 AM

Oct 2009
Zefyris said:
If you mean Opera 12 that I was liking a lot, too many websites nowadays detect that as a "too old browser" and ask you to change to access the website, so that's not really an option anymore...

Can't you just fake your user-agent?
Nov 6, 2015 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
I suppose I could since there's that kind of addon for opera , but not sure this will solve the problem with embedded pictures not being displayed though.
Nov 6, 2015 9:21 AM

Oct 2009
Zefyris said:
I suppose I could since there's that kind of addon for opera , but not sure this will solve the problem with embedded pictures not being displayed though.

Maybe it's an issues on MAL's side? Possibly related:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1398311
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1442995
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1405746

Also make sure you don't use any proxies, load bursters etc.
Nov 6, 2015 1:46 PM

Apr 2013
Serhiyko said:
Zefyris said:

Maybe it's an issues on MAL's side? Possibly related:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1398311
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1442995
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1405746

Also make sure you don't use any proxies, load bursters etc.

I got over the threads linked, thanks for taking the time to link them. I don't think this is related though. It only does that on opera 12, I don't use anything like that and clearing cache and the like never solved that issue. Tried again to see if with the big changes on MAL's profile the issue was solved, but no. It works on any other browsers I tested but this one. Maybe a doing clean install of Opera 12 could do the trick, I honestly don't remember if I tried that a few months ago when that started.
Nov 6, 2015 3:58 PM

Feb 2010
Zefyris said:
Also I don't know why but since several months MAL has stopped displaying a lot of embedded pictures when you use that one.
Not MAL, but photobucket/tinypic (they have same owner). I'm not sure what they're checking (not user agent), but if they don't like your brower - then they refuse to serve an image when using "direct link". If you try to open it - it redirects to page with that image.
There's a solution - it works fine when you use a real direct link - which starts with "o". I wrote a userscript that rewrites all such links which fixed it for me.

I have no idea why those two horrible image hosting sites are so popular here - that crap can't even show an image without js.
vivanNov 6, 2015 11:07 PM
Nov 6, 2015 11:02 PM

Apr 2013
Interesting info. All the problematic pics seems to indeed come from those two places. I'll see what I can do now that I'm knowing where it's coming from, thanks

EDIT : well it seems like the addon to change your user agent doesn't work anymore on Opera 12.17. Which means that changing the user agent is only possible by patching the dll AFAIK, which in return will change the signature and may have the dll quarantined by the antivirus and the like. Counting all the problems needing a workaround, seems to me like Opera 12 is pretty much dead...
ZefyrisNov 6, 2015 11:34 PM
Nov 7, 2015 6:34 AM

Oct 2015
I was / am a fan of REAL Opera myself - not its way dealing with javascript, though.
I thought having to reset my notebook some months ago was a good occasion to finally give it up, for Firefox - only to find out ~50% of sites not working properly with my beloved Opera anymore would show the same problems in Firefox. :p

but I want to bump the original discussion : Please Do sth. (anything, really) with the cancel button.
BannoBunka_snorkNov 7, 2015 6:37 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 7, 2015 7:01 AM

Feb 2010
Zefyris said:
EDIT : well it seems like the addon to change your user agent doesn't work anymore on Opera 12.17. Which means that changing the user agent is only possible by patching the dll AFAIK, which in return will change the signature and may have the dll quarantined by the antivirus and the like. Counting all the problems needing a workaround, seems to me like Opera 12 is pretty much dead...
What? You don't need any addons, just go to opera:config#UserPrefs|CustomUser-Agent
Jan 18, 2016 12:39 PM

Sep 2012
Bumping this because while massive design changes to the site have been underway, the most blatant, obvious, and legitimately forum-hindering design flaw hasn't even been acknowledged.
Jan 18, 2016 12:59 PM

Nov 2011
i can see how annoying accidentally hitting "cancel" after writing a long post can be. the cancel button is completely unnecessary.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 18, 2016 6:44 PM

Mar 2008
Why have you not just adblocked the button?
Jan 18, 2016 6:45 PM

Jan 2011
Ctrl + Z recovers it for me.
Jan 19, 2016 1:04 AM

Aug 2014
I would also like this. I have made the mistake a couple times and it is quite frustrating.
Jan 19, 2016 1:13 AM

Apr 2014
I've never used the button nor accidentally clicked on it.

But it seems easy to implement, I see no problem with moving or deleting the button.
Jul 7, 2016 11:57 PM

Oct 2014
There's a button on the forum right beside the "submit" button that deletes your entire post without any way to recover the information. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but I can't help that notice that users who chose to use the "post new reply" feature are safe from the possibility that the mouse gods will decide to destroy their attempt to express their opinion to the community. Sometimes I've even accidentally clicked it thinking it would just close the box like clicking the "quick reply" button again does, but instead I end up losing my work. Usually my posts aren't long or important enough to bother posting in a work document first to avoid this problem, although there already is the feature of "post new reply" so this would be unnecessary. Considering the fact that users can simply go back a page if they decide against replying or just delete their text if they want to start their post from scratch so they button isn't much more than just a troll button.
Jul 8, 2016 12:08 AM
Jan 2013
Pressing Quick Reply hides the box
Pressing Cancel deletes everything with no recovering option
If you want to delete everythin you can just do it yourself
Was also a victim of the cancel on certain occasions
Never used it on purposed
Never wanted to use it on purpose
Don't think anyone uses it on purpose
I'm with you there maine
Kill the cancel
gone bai bai
Jul 8, 2016 12:15 AM

Apr 2016
They could make you click it twice, after you click it once the text would change to "Are you sure?"
Jul 8, 2016 12:49 AM

Oct 2014
I agree, kill the cancel button or ask for a prompt because my internet opinion going poof triggers me.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 8, 2016 1:16 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Yeah it's completely useless. The only thing it can ever do is make you accidentally delete your post when you want to hit the submit button

Even if you would want to suddenly delete your post, it's still faster to just do CTRL + A and then Delete rather than moving your mouse down to the cancel button, so there is absolutely no situation where you would ever want to intentionally use it. So its existence is currently wholly a negative thing
Jul 8, 2016 2:11 AM

Jun 2015
Yes, this seems to be a brilliant idea, or maybe have an are you sure response just like the delete button.
Jul 8, 2016 5:55 AM

Oct 2015
I am strongly in favour of separating "buttons" with definite functions (no undo) from each other - like even just switching the position for "BBcode" and "Cancel" might prevent most problems.

But well, alltogether getting rid of the cancel button in the "quick reply" - it would be fine with me only if it does not mean also removing it from "quick edit", where I found it useful sometimes - maybe these are somehow connected/ the same ?
Jul 8, 2016 5:59 AM

Apr 2014
Change your stupid browser, and move to Firefox.
And just press Ctrl + Z when you stupidly clicked cancel button.
And heck, "Cancel" button was essential/common to web programming.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 8, 2016 7:20 AM

Jun 2015
Rayzer said:

thank you, I finally figured out how to undo cancel.

But I do suggest giving a "Are you sure" window after clicking cancel. Since maybe not everyone has firefox, or know the hotkey.

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Jul 8, 2016 7:28 AM

Sep 2013
Rayzer said:
or you could just right-click and then click "cancel" from the menu that will shows up..

@Mayumi can you please tell me what manga is your avatar from..?
kanarazukarasuJul 8, 2016 7:32 AM
Jul 8, 2016 7:44 AM

Jun 2015
@maiki Its an original picture I found in pixiv. If you want the pic I can send it to you.

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Jul 8, 2016 7:58 AM

Apr 2014
malki said:
Rayzer said:
or you could just right-click and then click "cancel" from the menu that will shows up..

What are you even saying? Read the OP please.
EDIT: Or you mean "Undo" option?
Jul 8, 2016 8:25 AM

Sep 2013
Rayzer said:
malki said:

What are you even saying? Read the OP please.
EDIT: Or you mean "Undo" option?
oh, so it's "Undo"..?
I have Mozilla installed in french ..so I assumed that "annuler" would be "cancel" in Mozilla installed in english..

Mayumi said:
@maiki Its an original picture I found in pixiv. If you want the pic I can send it to you.
don't bather..I just want to now if this pic is from a manga that I could chek out..but thanks anyway..:D
Jul 8, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2014
malki said:

I have Mozilla installed in french ..so I assumed that "annuler" would be "cancel" in Mozilla installed in english..

Oh, that's must be mistranslated.
Jul 8, 2016 10:13 AM

Jun 2015
I support this there has to be something like ''Are you sure?''
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 8, 2016 11:18 AM

Oct 2013
I remember I was on another forum called Tupacnation.net and it would save your post as you right like, after a few seconds i would see a message saying "auto saved" in the corner of the box telling me that what i wrote was saved so if I was to get out other page and then go to another and then back, it would still give me the option to "Restore Saved Content" and boom, it'll be right there.

I even logged out and logged back inand it was still there for me to recover. VERY useful if my internet acted up or if something went wrong and Ileft the page by accident.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 8, 2016 12:08 PM

Apr 2014
@daAmazinFatB0y
That site uses a paid forum script, so a lot of features on that site was available.
But MAL can't afford won't use a commercial forum script, maybe because It's hard to import/convert this.
Well, maybe they can make the same feature with MAL's current forum script.
Jun 26, 2017 6:34 AM

Sep 2009
I figure the backspace button works well enough, while also letting you undo. I'm sure most users don't even use the button; favoring backspace instead, and that plenty of users have accidentally hit the button, deleting whatever time they put into that post (could bad for people who have very little time, type slow, and/or have poor memory)
This thing btw:
MortalMelancholyJun 26, 2017 11:44 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 26, 2017 6:49 AM
Jan 2013
I've had my share of accidental clicks that ruined my posts and I never really the feature used it myself
I'd love a removal but I really don't know how many people use it as well, though I also think it's close to none
If there's a decent number of people who uses the cancel button, at least make it so a message appears "Are you sure you want to delete this message (Yes/No)" right under the submit cancel and bbcode buttons
Not a popup since people can mistake it for the character limit message and not have the options (Yes/No) right under the clickable submit/cancel buttons since a misclick can happen, "Are you sure you want to delete this message" or similar would be lenghty enough to shove the clickable options to the right
gone bai bai
Jun 26, 2017 6:52 AM

Sep 2009
Mkim said:
I've had my share of accidental clicks that ruined my posts and I never really the feature used it myself
I'd love a removal but I really don't know how many people use it as well, though I also think it's close to none
If there's a decent number of people who uses the cancel button, at least make it so a message appears "Are you sure you want to delete this message (Yes/No)" right under the submit cancel and bbcode buttons
Not a popup since people can mistake it for the character limit message and not have the options (Yes/No) right under the clickable submit/cancel buttons since a misclick can happen, "Are you sure you want to delete this message" or similar would be lenghty enough to shove the clickable options to the right

Right; something like the "delete thread" y/n thing wouldn't be bad. I really can't see its use, when you can use backspace, or simply ignore it if you decide against posting.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Include Official English Title Below Japanese Title in Lists

CommanderEverest - 4 hours ago

2 by CommanderEverest »»
27 minutes ago

» Catastrophic Necromancer

dovahkiindovah - May 16

3 by machy871 »»
May 16, 12:21 PM

» castlevania

thiagoLkirschner - Sep 20, 2022

2 by Lun4t1cc »»
May 16, 7:42 AM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

11 by Rhae »»
May 15, 9:22 PM

» Are there any plans to revamp mal on mobile?

Akuya - May 10

3 by unpocolocoMe »»
May 15, 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.