Forum Settings
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2015 9:05 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Mm, I decided to give this a try with it military mechanics, timelines, and themes. I assume this takes place in an alternate version of Japan? Strange premise but I hope we find out more about this Tanya girl. Some historical references as well.

Not bad for a start.
Nov 5, 2015 11:38 AM

Apr 2013
this takes place in an alternative germany, not japan, around the mid 1920 period IIRC, so the weaponry are of this period as well.
Nov 6, 2015 5:00 AM

Sep 2013
Yes it finally getting translated... pretty neat start so far
Nov 11, 2015 12:50 AM

Nov 2009
Zefyris said:
this takes place in an alternative germany, not japan, around the mid 1920 period IIRC, so the weaponry are of this period as well.

I've only read the translated part (prologue and 1st chapter), but it seems that weaponry is about WW2 level: lots of aircraft (including flying mages), mobile artillery, tanks...
Also, there's magic there.
Nov 13, 2015 12:20 AM

Apr 2013
It's closer from the weaponry of the beginning of ww2 (not the end of it) indeed, although it varies depending of the stuff. Everything is between 1918-13939 compared to our world, I 'd say.
IIRC in tha alternative world the year is around 1924-1926 that sounds logical.
Notice than in this alternative world, the first world war hasn't happened in 14-18. There were lots of war before, just like in our world of course, but no world-wide war yet. And of course, just like in our world, not every country is as advanced in weaponry on everything either. Some stuff are clearly first world war-like imo.
the magic is a technology in there. It require the user to be able to use it (which most peoples aren't) but withotu that technology/required tools, peoples can't use magic.

The war you see in the first chapter is around the Denmark/Germany frontier.
ZefyrisNov 13, 2015 12:24 AM
Dec 9, 2015 1:38 PM

Oct 2012
Great First Chapter, i'm really liking this so far.

I like the mc and more specifically other peoples impressions of the mc (The dude who was really scared of her).

I think i'll really enjoy this novel, especially if some tactics get involved. when/if the mc get to command her own unit.
Dec 11, 2015 1:52 PM
Dec 2015
Is this ONLY on LN format, or is there a WN I can try to read with GT? and if so, could someone link me to it? thanks

Its just so good and fun, I cant wait for more, please help
Feb 29, 2016 10:24 AM

Apr 2011
Chapter 2 was released, seems like the higher beings will be making people their cosmic plaything.
Apr 29, 2016 5:29 AM

May 2015
chapter 3 completely is touhou parody.

loli checked.
shooting checked.
flying checked.
miko checked.
"If you don’t like a rule… Just follow it… Reach the top… And change the rule." -adolf hitler
Sep 9, 2016 6:26 PM

Aug 2013
Loved chapter 4, its getting better and better.

Cant wait for next chapters and volumes!
Jan 9, 2017 9:38 AM
Feb 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Mm, I decided to give this a try with it military mechanics, timelines, and themes. I assume this takes place in an alternate version of Japan? Strange premise but I hope we find out more about this Tanya girl. Some historical references as well.

Not bad for a start.

This is not alternate Japan it's alternate Germany called the Empire (it's not Nazi Germany though), 19??-1924(end of vol. 1). The setting is WW1, there are vehicles from the era, arms, planes and magic.

The MC is a bit psychotic albeit understandable because she values efficiency above all, which makes her seem strange (abnormal) because of her age (11y).

The higher ups see her as an asset, some people in the army see her as a monster, most respect her and see her as the perfect soldier and her subordinates see her as a demon (one of them knows she has a heart behind the facade).

Truly a good read it's a shame that only the 1st volume is available.
Jan 15, 2017 4:03 AM

Apr 2016
Welcome to the "Can't Resist Spoilers" Club! Hooray!
SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT!SPLAT! SPLAT!
Jan 17, 2017 2:43 PM

Apr 2013
Oh my god i had such a good time reading this. I had plenty of laughs and i loved everything about this volume. The debates were fun and engaging. The various perspectives on the topic at hand and how misunderstandings were taking place. Damn this was just a great time. I was supposed to work early next morning but i stayed up all night just to finish this after i started reading.

Mar 2, 2017 3:14 AM

May 2013
Really enjoyed this - elaborates on so much more compared the anime and manga, including the thoughts of other characters besides Tanya. The 1st chapter of Volume 2 has now just been translated so looking forward to more.
SQ5 said:
Bea is dead. In an alternate future she would've borne your son. In the future past of Space Quest 4, your son would've saved your life. But she didn't, so he couldn't -- therefore you aren't.
- Space Quest 5 death scene
Jul 5, 2017 12:03 PM
Jul 2015
First world war Strted 19.14-19.18 (Tiimeline in the series is 19-23-25) yes you had (figherplanes back then as well but not as relablie, not sure about bombers thu..

Really enjoyed this show, hoping för a seasom 2
Dec 27, 2017 9:28 AM

Feb 2012
Chapter 1:

I greatly enjoyed this chapter. This novel is shaping up to be everything I wanted and more. I'm consistently impressed with the attention to detail. The amount of effort given to describe a single award was amazing. The events in this novel are heavily inspired by historical events, and Carlo Zen has shown he has a solid understanding of those events, why they happened, and the outcomes of them. I greatly enjoyed the footnotes that are included in the Yen Press addition, and I would actually like more because I would like to learn more about history.

It is clear the Empire is a fiction Imperial Germany, with the Prussian Officer Corps as one of its greatest assets. I have endless questions concerning this world and the tactics involved, and I feel confident this series will do a good job in sating that desire.
Oct 20, 2022 9:30 PM
Jan 2019
An excellent introduction. While I disagree with the personal political views of the author, it is undeniable his talent as a writer and his vast knowledge in political, military, economic and psychological topics, and I can't wait for the next chapter and volumes.
HeinzThorvaldOct 20, 2022 9:35 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Chapter 30 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Jul 21, 2019

1 by Didi6970 »»
Oct 20, 2023 9:22 AM

» Where to start?

DravenFact1 - Oct 10, 2023

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Oct 10, 2023 10:44 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Chapter 24 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Jan 7, 2019

3 by Didi6970 »»
Oct 5, 2023 11:43 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Chapter 18 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Aug 10, 2018

1 by Didi6970 »»
Sep 23, 2023 5:51 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Chapter 12 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Apr 30, 2018

1 by Didi6970 »»
Sep 13, 2023 9:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.