Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 6, 2015 12:42 AM

Apr 2011
CondemneDio said:
yhunata said:
Guys, just a question. Is the Fallout franchise, like the Elder Scrolls franchise, standalone? I mean, can I play 2 before 1 and make sense of it like playing Skyrim before Oblivion and making sense of it?

You don't have to play them in any particular order, since the games take place in different times and places.
I'd still play them in the release order, to see how it evolved.

Oh, that's good, because I got Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics from GoG back when they were free and have yet to play them. I guess I'll start with 1 after I'm done with Child of Light and get Fallout 3 after I finish 2.
Nov 6, 2015 2:22 AM

Jul 2007
ZetaZaku said:
CookingPriest said:
RPG-killing abomination that is a voiced protagonist(whyyyy) and EVEN MORE simplified stats and that says it all about its worth.

How is that RPG-killing when the game isn't an RPG? Voiced protagonist might be an improvement in this game. But I guess I'm not really a fan of pretending to be a game character so I don't get triggered by that.

The whole premise of RPG(yes Fallout is an rpg, even if it wants to pretend to be an fps) is that you roleplay a character.

The voice the character speaks is the voice you give him in your head.

Down to more technical reasons a voiced character means far less dialogue lines and dialogue choices, which when paired with an awful dialogue wheel means limiting your dialogue to 4-5 predefined lines instead of the way it should be.
Add to that simplified stats system.

Nobody plays Fallout 3+ games for "story" or "characters"(well New Vegas had both of those good but still). They play it to RP - to be allowed to mess around and do things in a post apocalyptic world. That is out of question when you play a prefixed character

Its the same reason on why Skyrim is an ocean with the depth of a puddle compared to Morrowind.

And F4 will be a step further in simplification of rpg gameplay than Skyrim was.

Not only we go from a normal dialogue trees to "HUH?!" "SOMEWORD!" "SARCASTIC"
"EVIL" dialogue wheel abomination, but we also get way less stats.
Nov 6, 2015 2:33 AM

Aug 2013
CookingPriest said:

Down to more technical reasons a voiced character means far less dialogue lines and dialogue choices, which when paired with an awful dialogue wheel means limiting your dialogue to 4-5 predefined lines instead of the way it should be.

*peers over to the Fallout 1 screen playing in the background*

Er...the series has always had 4-5 dialog options.

and anyway 90% of the game is spent on your own in the wastes with a dog, you over value the roleplaying people do in fallout that involves actual dialog. People roleplay in fallout by dressing their way, carrying the gun they want and listening to the radio station, they play the lone wanderer of the wastes. Dialog isn't even a big part of the game for Fallout 3 players as it tends to just be there for one time decisions.

This isn't D and D.
Nov 6, 2015 2:51 AM

Jul 2007
"OMG I can wander all through this monster infested wasteland...where nothing I do matter and I can't interact with anything to a level it should be possible"

Ocean.
With.
Depth.
Of.
A.
Puddle.

Also I call bullshit on F2 having same amount of dialogue as F4. F2 had dialogue options change based on your stats for fucks sake.

We went from

To this:

And from this:

to fucking this simplistic bullshit:

Don't tell me "nothing changed". The game got simplified to hell and back. Even bigger downgrade than with F2 to F3.

Considering Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim that seems to be their M O.
AhenshihaelNov 6, 2015 2:59 AM
Nov 6, 2015 3:03 AM

Aug 2013
CookingPriest said:

Also I call bullshit on F2 having same amount of dialogue as F4. F2 had dialogue options change based on your stats for fucks sake.

We went from

Do I really have to mention the obvious. fallout 2 dialog options on that screenshot is still only 3 choices and its more wordy becasuee its all text. The fallout 4 dialog option is 4 opinions and is only one or two words becauseee its spoken and if you had the games script you would see each of those one word options actually would be just as long text as the fallout 2 because its spoken dialog.
Nov 6, 2015 3:05 AM

Jul 2007
Please stop speaking the PR speak.

This is wha tyou can do with tree.
You CANT do that with Wheel because lines are limited.
Just because F3 had "similar amount of choices"< it does not mean it had same amount of dialogue

I just love the lengths F3 fanbois go to ignore the criticism for the game direction.
Nov 6, 2015 3:07 AM

Oct 2014
CookingPriest said:
"OMG I can wander all through this monster infested wasteland...where nothing I do matter and I can't interact with anything to a level it should be possible"

Unfortunately, that IS the reason many people are playing Fallout 4. Even with the fact that it looks like the game might actually have a good story this time around. Personally, I like the lore of the franchise, so I would be playing the main quest for the story.

But, look at Skyrim. Half of the people who said they enjoyed the game did not finish the main quest. Because every time, they journey towards the next quest marker, they stray from it and in the end, they just don't care. I am expecting many people to do the same with Fallout 4. To them , the story is nothing. They just wanna go out into the world and do whatever the hell they want and that's the thing with Bethesda's games, they give the player that freedom to not bother about morality, peril or whatever like every other RPG does.

For you, it seems unbelievable that people would be entertained by the mere idea of wandering aimlessly for nothing. But no matter how many times you and I yell, "Stop having fun, guys", there's still gonna be people who find that enjoyable. And as someone who likes games like Deus Ex and Planescape Torment where every action matters, even I find that one of the best things about Bethesda's games.
Nov 6, 2015 3:09 AM

Jul 2007
Khaosman-Prime said:
Because every time, they journey towards the next quest marker, they stray from it and in the end, they just don't care.

But there's nothing in between beyond collectible bullshit.

ES games always were about "getting off the beaten path". But that's the downfall of Skyrim. Everything beyond the beaten path is even more lifeless and boring.

This explains it best on why Skyrim fucking fails:
Nov 6, 2015 3:12 AM

Aug 2013
CookingPriest said:
Please stop speaking the PR speak.

I'm speaking the facts as someone who took games development at university for 3 years learning all about video games and making video games and the actual PR of video games. Unless PR speak means literally pointing out that comparing a screen of written text dialog with a vocalized dialog opinion screen is silly as the spoken dialog in the screen won't be visible and if you read the games dialog script would see that those "limited" one word opitions usually lead to spoken dialog just as long as whats written in text dialog in Fallout 2.
Nov 6, 2015 3:22 AM

Oct 2014
CookingPriest said:

But there's nothing in between beyond collectible bullshit.

ES games always were about "getting off the beaten path". But that's the downfall of Skyrim. Everything beyond the beaten path is even more lifeless and boring.

I actually agree about Skyrim. While it was a very pretty-looking game and it can be interesting when it comes to finding the easter eggs, it was quite disappointing in other areas like the main quest. Skyrim also sucked in the sense that it wasn't as "immersive" as Oblivion and Morrowind. In the latter two games, people in the universe will acknowledge you if you did something like become leader of the Thieves Guild or something similar. Like in that video you posted here, characters in Skyrim still think you fetch the mead, they don't give you any recognition for anything you did, which I hated so much about the game.

I am worried about many things in Fallout 4's previews and leaks but I'm reserving judgement until I actually played the game. If the game does turn out to suck big time, you're going to hear me rage in the forums here for sure.
Nov 6, 2015 3:28 AM

Jul 2007
The thing with Skyrim is that even if story was shit, you could possibly look away from that if gameplay itself was deep enough. But by scaling down and simplifying every single thing from previous games, all that Skyrim does is expose the shallowness in the world.

And fallout is following same path. Fallout 3 was already very shaky game and Fallout 4 seems to follow the tradition of scaling down(Perks? Seriously? Perks instead of stat system?). The only thing in F4 that seems interesting to me is the housing system. And even then it is a world that lacks coherence and charm of F2, lax stat and gameplay complexity of even F3 let alone F2 and has a voiced character limiting your options in characterization and dialogue.

Which is why Wasteland 2 will always be the Fallout 3 that should have been for me. THere are things to be found everywhere, there are things that you can easily miss if you rush through stuff. And there's quite decent story and world to live in and stats and gameplay mechanics to be entranced by.
Nov 6, 2015 3:30 AM

Sep 2014
Khaosman-Prime said:
Just went to my store today, they confirmed they have my order ready. I just need to pick it up on launch day and pay the rest of the money then. So, that's a relief.

However, they seduced me with a Fallout lore book as well so fuck me, I put down an order for that too. I'm gonna be broke, hope it's worth it.

I finally got a confirmation email yesterday as well, my paypal's got a new transaction for my Fallout 4 order, and I also got a separate email mentioning the free vault-boy bobble-head.

I hope that book's worth it. ;)
Nov 6, 2015 3:35 AM

Feb 2008
CookingPriest said:

Ocean.
With.
Depth.
Of.
A.
Puddle.

We went from

To this:

And from this:

to fucking this simplistic bullshit:

Don't tell me "nothing changed". The game got simplified to hell and back. Even bigger downgrade than with F2 to F3.

Considering Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim that seems to be their M O.

This is why I said that Fallout 4 is not an RPG. Far Cry 3 and 4 are more RPG than Fallout 4. Fallout 4 will just be a wandering shooter.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 6, 2015 3:46 AM

Oct 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:

I finally got a confirmation email yesterday as well, my paypal's got a new transaction for my Fallout 4 order, and I also got a separate email mentioning the free vault-boy bobble-head.

I hope that book's worth it. ;)

Good to hear that and you got a free bobble-head too so that's nice.

It's not just the lore book for me. I have altogether; the Pipboy Edition, the art book (which contains art from the whole franchise), the lore book and a T-shirt. It all costs me about USD$250 when converted from AuD$. It's the most I'll ever be paying for merchandise from a single game. I don't think I'll ever do anything like this again.......until Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
Nov 6, 2015 9:09 AM

Jan 2014
I swear to god, if Amazon delays shipping Fallout 4 like they have with most of my past orders, imma be pissed. Thankfully I'm getting it for cheaper than the regular price, so I guess it's not a big deal if it takes a week to get to me. Still though, knowing you're all playing it while I'm not is going to kill me.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Nov 6, 2015 9:17 AM

Sep 2014
Khaosman-Prime said:
Good to hear that and you got a free bobble-head too so that's nice.

It's not just the lore book for me. I have altogether; the Pipboy Edition, the art book (which contains art from the whole franchise), the lore book and a T-shirt. It all costs me about USD$250 when converted from AuD$. It's the most I'll ever be paying for merchandise from a single game. I don't think I'll ever do anything like this again.......until Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

It was an unexpected gift, so I certainly appreciate it.

My Pipboy-edition somehow came to £85, even though it was priced as £99, they only charged me £85 on the transaction.
I don't know when I'll ever be spending so much money on a single game again. It won't be Mankind Divided for me I'm afraid, though I'll be buying the standard version at least.

ThrashMatto said:
I swear to god, if Amazon delays shipping Fallout 4 like they have with most of my past orders, imma be pissed. Thankfully I'm getting it for cheaper than the regular price, so I guess it's not a big deal if it takes a week to get to me. Still though, knowing you're all playing it while I'm not is going to kill me.

This is why I never order from Amazon. :p
At least you'll get to watch gameplay videos/streams that are inevitably going to be uploaded on the first day of release, to keep you busy till your copy arrives, lol.
Nov 6, 2015 10:33 AM

Jan 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
ThrashMatto said:

This is why I never order from Amazon. :p
At least you'll get to watch gameplay videos/streams that are inevitably going to be uploaded on the first day of release, to keep you busy till your copy arrives, lol.
Unfortunately because the Canadian dollar is garbage right now, Amazon were the only ones offering 30% off preorders during E3, so an $80 game is now back to just below what the retail price was 2 years ago. Plus I refuse to order from BestBuy since they tried to screw me a couple years ago. So yeah, fuck Canada.
Atleast I'll know what quests are bugged this way.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Nov 6, 2015 10:37 AM

Mar 2014
Fallout 4 Ending

Nov 6, 2015 10:45 AM

Oct 2014
sullynathan said:
Fallout 4 Ending

You just HAD to put it here, didn't you? I already knew because I was on Steam, bloody hell. Still not deterring me from playing. If anything, I am more eager to start playing the game.
Nov 6, 2015 11:14 AM

Aug 2013
Fallout 3 Ending

Nov 6, 2015 11:40 AM

Jul 2007
sullynathan said:
Fallout 4 Ending

Yeah thats one of many reasons why this game smells like a stinker.
Nov 6, 2015 11:51 AM

Mar 2014
German game livestream

sullynathanNov 6, 2015 12:17 PM
Nov 6, 2015 8:08 PM

Sep 2013
Seriously? People are bitching about DIALOGUE OPTIONS?!?! THE ONE THING NOBODY PAYS ATTENTION TO AND PEOPLE ARE BITCHING ABOUT IT BEING STREAMLINED?!? No goddamn wonder I'm unintentionally stepping further and further away from gamers.
Nov 6, 2015 8:38 PM

Oct 2014
Old_Raven said:
Seriously? People are bitching about DIALOGUE OPTIONS?!?! THE ONE THING NOBODY PAYS ATTENTION TO AND PEOPLE ARE BITCHING ABOUT IT BEING STREAMLINED?!? No goddamn wonder I'm unintentionally stepping further and further away from gamers.

Personally I find people bitching about the graphics to be a valid source of anger at gamers, as a big fan of fallout 3 and new vegas dialogue was an amazing part of those games and it being streamlined isn't okay. Also why do you think people don't pay attention to dialogue options? Have you ever played fallout new vegas with low intelligence? It has the best dialogue options ever.
Nov 7, 2015 12:16 AM

Apr 2015
I still can't decide whether I want to get this game or not :/
Nov 7, 2015 12:48 AM

Jan 2013
LordGregory said:
I still can't decide whether I want to get this game or not :/

I would wait 'till the review videos come out. I don't want to buy it blindly.
Nov 7, 2015 1:14 AM

Jul 2007
Old_Raven said:

You must be living i some weird alternate universe.
A major problem with F3 was the lack of writing style the previous games had and a LOT of people find a problem with an RPG simplifying a dialogue system.

Lore and Dialogue are one of many reasons to enjoy fallout universe. People want a proper RPG with proper array of gameplay system. Not yet another post-apocalyptic open world shooter.
Nov 7, 2015 1:20 AM

Jul 2014
Old_Raven said:

There is this really entertaining string of dialogue early on in Fallout 2 with a guy whom the player can have low intelligence conversations with (Complete with their own high intelligence subtitles). The implication of course being that the two characters have reached some kind of quasi-understanding in their mutual idiocy.

The point being: I think it's a perfectly valid complaint in the sense that "streamlined" dialogue options have a tendency to kill off great little role playing moments like that. What's the point of calling Fallout 4 an action role playing game if you're going to skimp on the role playing part? Especially when Fallout's wacky but serious dialogue has traditionally been one of the strongest aspects of said games?

And even if we decided to put aside everything I just said: what's so hard about just having what your character is going to say rather than having various degrees of "fuck you just pick one"? There is literally no good argument to the contrary.
LatentNov 7, 2015 4:00 AM
Nov 7, 2015 4:44 AM

Feb 2010
Not being able to see what your character is going to say is retarded, Deus Ex showed that you can have that without discarding their precious dialogue wheel.
Nov 7, 2015 5:17 AM

Feb 2008
Can't wait for the amazing things MC will say that you won't see coming. Like picking "go away" and he ends up insulting the person and telling him to fuck off.

Nov 7, 2015 5:19 AM

Jul 2014
ZetaZaku said:
Can't wait for the amazing things MC will say that you won't see coming. Like picking "go away" and he ends up insulting the person and telling him to fuck off.

Nov 7, 2015 6:19 AM

Feb 2013
Picking female 1st playthrough cuz butt

Probably

It's like 70/30 odds.
Nov 7, 2015 10:40 AM
Aug 2015
Lol @Steam forums.

I feel bad for everyone sensitive to spoilers. Gosh. I visit steam to see if anyone asked about the FPS lock and I mostly get "Teehee Snape kills dumbledore" stuff.

I look forward to see character builds or calculators come day one. I want to see how good an energy weapon focused build would be in FO4.
Nov 7, 2015 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
Bryance said:
Lol @Steam forums.

I feel bad for everyone sensitive to spoilers. Gosh. I visit steam to see if anyone asked about the FPS lock and I mostly get "Teehee Snape kills dumbledore" stuff.

I look forward to see character builds or calculators come day one. I want to see how good an energy weapon focused build would be in FO4.

I want the build calculators too, I want to see if there's any cool, new stuff.
Nov 7, 2015 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
I dislike Bethesda fanboys
Nov 7, 2015 1:53 PM

Jul 2007
SO one review broke the embargo on accident.

Pretty much the reviewer was bored with the world and gameplay. Story apparently is decent but the world is boring and dead and the game does not live up to the hype. The reviewer concluded that F3 fans will most likely like that but any newcomer will be bored. According to the reviewer, F4 is below Dragon Age Inquisition.

Oh boy...
Nov 7, 2015 2:27 PM

Mar 2014
CookingPriest said:

Pretty much the reviewer was bored with the world and gameplay. Story apparently is decent but the world is boring and dead and the game does not live up to the hype. The reviewer concluded that F3 fans will most likely like that but any newcomer will be bored. According to the reviewer, F4 is below Dragon Age Inquisition.

Oh boy...

link
Nov 7, 2015 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
sullynathan said:
CookingPriest said:

Oh boy...

link

I think it was International Business Times, looks like they took it down though since the link is just returning a 404 now.
http://www.ibtimes.com/fallout-4-review-dangers-hype-video-2174132

edit: heres the google cache - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.ibtimes.com/fallout-4-review-dangers-hype-video-2174132
I love Christine

Nov 7, 2015 2:40 PM

Feb 2008
What's the whole deal with the embargo? Scared that people would cancel their preorder if they see what the game is actually like?

Nov 7, 2015 2:42 PM

Mar 2014
More leaks
sullynathanNov 7, 2015 2:53 PM
Nov 7, 2015 2:51 PM

Jan 2014
sullynathan said:
More leaks

Might want to spoiler tag those.
I love Christine

Nov 7, 2015 3:20 PM

Nov 2012
Man I personally can't wait. Ordered mine online so probably won't get it until Wednesday or Thursday, but not a big deal since I won't have much free time until Friday really.
Nov 7, 2015 4:02 PM

Mar 2014

72 Quests
15 Main
17 Brotherhood of Steel
6 Minutemen
8 Railroad
12 The Institute
14 Misc/Sidequests
http://www.nukahub.com/quests

108 Perks
70 Special
17 Magazine
12 Companion
9 Other
http://www.nukahub.com/perks/

4 Factions
Brotherhood of Steel
Minutemen
Railroad
The Institute

5 Vaults
Vault 111
Vault 114
Vault 75 -- http://2static.fjcdn.com/movies/Fallout+4+leaked+gameplay+vault+75+fallout+4+leaked+gameplay_91b7a4_5735342.mp4
Vault 81
Vault 95
Nov 7, 2015 4:31 PM

Aug 2013
CookingPriest said:
The reviewer concluded that F3 fans will most likely like that but any newcomer will be bored.

So a review from someone who doesn't like fallout 3 yeah thats going to be catering towards fans of the previous game isn't it. Thats like getting someone who hates mass effect games to review Andromeda when it comes out. Also how does he know new comers will be bored? I started with fallout 3 and like it and played fallout 1 and 2 and liked them yet someone who loves fallout 2 would probably say anyone who plays fallout 1 and 2 will hate how casual fallout 3 is. Stuffy elitism vs actually having fun.

CookingPriest said:

but the world is boring and dead

Its a wasteland.

CookingPriest said:

F4 is below Dragon Age Inquisition.

They're very different games. The reviewer sounds as good as IGN

"Like skyrim but with guns!" - Battlefield 4
SpooksNov 7, 2015 4:35 PM
Nov 7, 2015 5:20 PM

Feb 2005
CookingPriest said:
According to the reviewer, F4 is below Dragon Age Inquisition.
Ok, I'm going to take that with a good helping of salt.

I mean, no matter how lifeless the world is or how shitty the story and characters are, the main draw of these games are sanboxing and modding anyways.
ZetaZaku said:
What's the whole deal with the embargo? Scared that people would cancel their preorder if they see what the game is actually like?
Well, they have to do something to keep all the morons from realizing that preorders are utterly fucking retarded in principle.

I'm looking forward to getting Fallout 4 GOTY with all the expansions for a much lower price when all the good mods are out.
Nov 7, 2015 5:22 PM

May 2012
Dragon Age Inquistion is a shit game.
Nov 7, 2015 5:29 PM

Mar 2014
Nov 7, 2015 6:28 PM

Jan 2013
The reviewer likes Resident Evil: Revelations 2 so I don't really give a shit about his opinion.
Nov 7, 2015 6:28 PM

Jan 2013
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Did anybody hear about the fallout 4 launch party?

They invited a bunch of poser celebs to the party to promote the game, and a good portion of those celebs don't even know anything about Fallout. I doubt they even play video games.

There's even a video of Lynda Carter telling Todd to leave the photoshoot

http://webmshare.com/V6yKP

A poser in the act:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3306663/Ireland-Baldwin-flashes-glimpse-underboob-goes-braless-racy-cut-dress-video-game-launch-party.html

So this is what gaming has become?
Fuckin lol
PeenusWeenusCaimNov 7, 2015 6:36 PM
Nov 7, 2015 6:31 PM

May 2012
Now we know where most of the budget went.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

53 by BitChilly »»
18 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

523 by lcee_15 »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
4 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.