Forum Settings
Forums

Your opinion on high frame rate movies, and is standard 24fps still the best?

New
Oct 13, 2015 10:45 AM
Sep 2007
At first I thought of posting this thread in Music & Entertainment, but I wish for it to be of more relaxed nature, so CD seemed better "location"...

Anyway, ever since The Hobbit movies started with being moved in 48fps in theaters, I've read a lot of complaints about it looking too smooth and similar to soap operas, without that cinematic, kinda a bit slowly, and otherwordly movement in movies.

I didn't watch Hobbits in theater, only 1080p BD rip in 24fps, but I did see some 60fps YT clips, as well as some from other movies such as Avatar, Gravity, Matrix, and some others...

I don't know, I've watched 24fps movies my whole life, and love them, but these HFR versions, I'm not sure what is so bad about them that so many people are so dissapointed, they, IMO, seem so fluid, impressive, and immersive, also quite present so to speak, kinda closer than ever to the outside of my TV.

Espeacially Pixar movies seem really nice, and I saw some anime stuff that was converted with Smooth Video Project - that kinda made me decide to in next few months buy some better PC afterall (well, that, and I also need better machine because I wanna smoothly play Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on emulator, which isn't possible on my current PC).

Btw, don't take me for someone who cares that much about FPSs, but I can't deny that such movies, or videos in general feel more pleasant to my eyes, even more than UHD stuff - this is honest, I'm really not impressed with it, or rather, even though it looks nice, it just doesn't seem to like as big jump from 1080, or even from 720p, as they were compared to resolutions like 640x480, or 800x600...

All in all, once I buy new PC, I'll most likely be watching most of things with Smooth Video Project turned on, cause from what I saw, overall, to me, it looks better than 24fps.

What do you guys think about HFR videos?
Oct 13, 2015 10:47 AM
Sep 2014
Don't like the high FPS shows/movies. I didn't watch the new bates motel for that reason. Just seems off to me
Oct 13, 2015 10:57 AM

Nov 2011
higher FPS is objectively better than lower FPS
anime is stuck with 24 fps because of costs (and in the case of bdrips, the cost of storage). it's expensive to make an anime in higher fps, though we can sort of emulate a 60fps experience.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 13, 2015 10:59 AM
Nov 2009
It doesn't make any difference as human eye cannot distinguish above 25 frames. Basically, everything above that limit will look equal to humans.
Oct 13, 2015 11:00 AM

Dec 2012
I prefered the 48 fps version of The Hobbit, but it doesn't matter that much imho
Oct 13, 2015 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
ToraBlaze said:
It doesn't make any difference as human eye cannot distinguish above 25 frames. Basically, everything above that limit will look equal to humans.

Nonsense. There have been many reports from different reaction tests that people can react to visual signals in less than 1 ms - this corresponds to 1000 FPS.

Tell me, can you see the difference here? It's 30 FPS vs 60 FPS.
Oct 13, 2015 11:13 AM
Sep 2007
ToraBlaze said:
Is this true?

I actually have some problems with my eyesight, but still can cleary notice the difference.
Oct 13, 2015 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really mind what frame rates it has. I just want to watch the movie.
Oct 13, 2015 11:15 AM

Jul 2015
Higher frame rates are always better, no exceptions.

The whole "humans can't see above 30fps" statement is clearly bullshit. Most likely created by console gamers.
SandbagOct 13, 2015 11:19 AM
Oct 13, 2015 11:16 AM
Mar 2011
ToraBlaze said:

Is this Le Epic Bait Post
Oct 13, 2015 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
ToraBlaze said:

People saying stuff like this just makes me facepalm.
Oct 13, 2015 11:19 AM

Jun 2015
tl;dr, don't care about FPS
Oct 13, 2015 11:25 AM

Nov 2011
i imagine that higher fps is necessary in fps games :p
24 fps might not be enough
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Feb 6, 2016 1:10 PM

Nov 2014
For movies I don't care, but Hobbit with 48 fps was really hard to watch sometimes.
Animation, feels too choppy ocasionally, but it is because they usually contain only 8 actual frames per 24 frames.

Feb 6, 2016 1:11 PM

May 2015
I honestly don't mind, so long as it's a good movie.
Feb 6, 2016 1:23 PM

Nov 2015
48 fps burns my retinas. Can someone explain the jump from 24 fps to 48 fps, why does it have to double? Does it have something to do with the film shooting?
Feb 6, 2016 1:49 PM
May 2014
Duskfall said:

I´ll just let this here for everyone.

http://imgur.com/KAYSOtX
Feb 6, 2016 2:27 PM

Dec 2015
The Hobbit in 48fps just looked...wrong.

NasalShark said:
48 fps burns my retinas. Can someone explain the jump from 24 fps to 48 fps, why does it have to double? Does it have something to do with the film shooting?

I think the reason it doubles is to keep the ratio even.
Feb 6, 2016 2:31 PM
Sep 2007
Ever since I buyed new PC, I simply can't go back to 24fps stuff - it just looks too slow for me.
Feb 6, 2016 2:36 PM

Nov 2015
Bobby2Hands said:

NasalShark said:

I googled it and it has to do with the projectors they used for old movies. 24 fps originally was the decided upon standard for 35 mm sound film, but with the invention of two blade shutters they could double it to project at 48 fps. The actual decided upon fps was arbitrary but once projectors were mass produced to project at that speed it would have been pretty hard to change. This is why these two frame rates are used today. Pretty interesting
NasalSharkFeb 6, 2016 2:40 PM
Feb 6, 2016 2:48 PM

Dec 2015
NasalShark said:
Bobby2Hands said:

I googled it and it has to do with the projectors they used for old movies. 24 fps originally was the decided upon standard for 35 mm sound film, but with the invention of two blade shutters they could double it to project at 48 fps. The actual decided upon fps was arbitrary but once projectors were mass produced to project at that speed it would have been pretty hard to change. This is why these two frame rates are used today. Pretty interesting

Cool, looks like I learned something today.

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 9 hours ago

26 by aikaflip »»
1 hour ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

317 by bevarnow »»
1 hour ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by IpreferEcchi »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

40 by aikaflip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.