Forum Settings
Forums

New airing anime, how the hell you rate an anime after just watching one episode ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 12, 2015 8:25 PM

Nov 2014
Rate now, fix later.

Oct 12, 2015 8:28 PM

Apr 2014
ExTamplier said:
Rate now, fix later.
and most of the time the fix isnt by much since they already knew what they were getting into.
Oct 12, 2015 9:20 PM

Dec 2012
Because that's my guesstimate of it's potential (which is often dead on), and even if it's wrong who gives a crap when it can be changed in a couple seconds.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 12, 2015 9:32 PM

Jul 2013
I would just wait for several episodes, before rating.
Oct 12, 2015 9:34 PM
Jan 2015
I only rate when I complete it.
My Queens

Oct 12, 2015 11:44 PM

Nov 2009
romagia said:
how the hell you can't rate an anime after just watching one episode ?

Some anime get really confusing first episodes, and you have to watch a couple more before it starts making sense and you can say if you like it.

Other anime have generic beginnings, and the question is "what will the author do with that?". For example, this season Asterisk and Rakudai are said to have pretty much the same beginning. And you can't say if they will be good or boring in advance.
Oct 12, 2015 11:54 PM

Mar 2015
i rate first impression of it when it make sense for me. than rate it the way it goes so i will know how the series goes each episode, where place give most impact, how many impact happened in the best part, how many that impact give to series, then overall series.

maybe recently example are charlotte for me. it's has 9 for first episode, but later on, it even has 4 in my book, and the 9 part can't carry the 4 part. but we cant forget at least i has 9 part so i rate it overall.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 13, 2015 12:10 AM

Dec 2012
I don't, but it's interesting to where shows go on their premieres. Sometimes it helps me pick out what to watch each season, as I usually have my eyes on 25+ titles but realistically can only watch 5-8. If a non-hyped show makes it into the top 300, I'll think "hey maybe I'll look more into that one", whereas if some generic harem-esque premise is rank 4283, I'll know that I can do 3 months without it.
Oct 13, 2015 1:47 AM

Aug 2015
I do predictions ;). And then after I completed I change it to how bad or how good it was. And 9/10 of the time my predictions are right. I love to do this, because 1. I got a good overview of what I might-like or might-dislike, 2. The anime can surprise me, because I got low expectations and 3. I can look back on the anime and think ''It was really good lol''.

Oct 13, 2015 2:13 AM
Jul 2018
Your rating is based on that single episode.

I do not see the issue.
Oct 13, 2015 2:23 AM

Jul 2014
Kruzy said:
KendiKong said:

Even so, why the hell are there 900 ratings for Stein;Gate 0, nobody has seen it or even knows what's its about. There's no justification for rating it right now.

Because fanboys were trying to get it on the top anime list while it was still possible. Same happened with Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, To LOVE-Ru and some other shows.

Once all the shows in a current season are on my watching list, I rate all the plan-to-watch from the next season so I can sort them to the top by priority/ expectations and not get them mixed up with "not yet aired" shows that might be 5 seasons from now.

I have 100+ PTW shows at all times, and multiple not yet aired shows from 3+ different seasons, and you can't actually sort using the built-in priority thing, only rating
Oct 13, 2015 2:38 AM
Sep 2014
I just think about what I watchrd then rate it
Oct 13, 2015 2:39 AM

Aug 2015
If the story and the elements in it are refreshing enough, then its 7+, otherwise I will give a 6- and drop it. until some good news keep coming, I wont pick it up.
Oct 13, 2015 2:49 AM

Apr 2014
You rate based on your enjoyment of that episode, simple as that.
Oct 13, 2015 2:50 AM

Feb 2015
Mystifire said:
Honestly, I wish giving ratings couldn't be given out before at least about 3 episodes. Not every anime is going to lay all it's cards out on the table right away, and I don't think it deserves to be judged preemptively for that, possibly discouraging people from watching it due to immediate low ratings.

Is there anyone here who takes ratings on MAL seriously?
Oct 13, 2015 2:55 AM

Apr 2014
Amekage said:
Mystifire said:
Honestly, I wish giving ratings couldn't be given out before at least about 3 episodes. Not every anime is going to lay all it's cards out on the table right away, and I don't think it deserves to be judged preemptively for that, possibly discouraging people from watching it due to immediate low ratings.

He does xD
Oct 13, 2015 2:56 AM

Jul 2012
Amekage said:
Mystifire said:

Only if my fav anime is rated inaccurately :(
Oct 13, 2015 3:04 AM

Jul 2013
I never rate an anime when I only watched the first episode.
Oct 13, 2015 3:22 AM

Jun 2014
It's too early to rate it as some series have standout openings and have a mediocre finish in the end which is dismal to the viewer.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 13, 2015 4:14 AM

Jul 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
Once all the shows in a current season are on my watching list, I rate all the plan-to-watch from the next season so I can sort them to the top by priority/ expectations and not get them mixed up with "not yet aired" shows that might be 5 seasons from now.

I have 100+ PTW shows at all times, and multiple not yet aired shows from 3+ different seasons, and you can't actually sort using the built-in priority thing, only rating

I would suggest getting Taiga. It allows you to sort by season.
Oct 13, 2015 4:15 AM

Feb 2010
On a scale from 1-10 depending on what my impression and expectations based on the first episode are. Pretty obvious, if you ask me. To not realize that you must be dense.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 13, 2015 4:21 AM

Feb 2010
Lancehot said:
It's easy. You go to the shows MAL page; change the status to watching; number of episodes watched to 1 & then score it whatever you like.

Maybe we should record a tutorial for MAL newcomers and the monthly iterations of this thread to save time in the future.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 13, 2015 5:03 AM

Nov 2013
mayukachan said:
Amekage said:

Only if my fav anime is rated inaccurately :(

Is it shinsekai yori? I agree it's rated 2.0 points higher than it should be.
Oct 13, 2015 5:07 AM
Mar 2014
I rate first episodes on how good they were as first episodes.
After that I just change whenever I feel like it and fuck around with it the score. Usually my score goes down when a show ends.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Oct 13, 2015 6:22 AM

May 2015
One episode is still enough to tell you about the anime. You can learn a lot from just one episode and how it presents the characters and art style.

I doubt anyone thinks his one-episode-rating will have no way of changing.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 13, 2015 6:40 AM

Dec 2013
I don't know, I'm not mental so I don't rate an anime just after few measly episodes. My impressions can be said in tags, whether I liked it or disliked it or I don't care about it.
Oct 13, 2015 6:48 AM

Dec 2014
This doesn't really apply to me, seeing as I usually just wait until the half-way mark to rate something. (Except for Gakkougurashi and IIRC Shirayuki-hime from last season thus far, which admittedly I had trouble scoring by their half-way mark, but eventually they did get one)

Even still, reviews after only 1 episode shouldn't be a thing, but its what some people do and thus I won't really bother them for doing so.
Oct 13, 2015 6:57 AM

Feb 2015
Some people have a rating fetish - must. rate. everything

They should just stick to the episode discussion it's far more constructive but at the end of the day they can do what they want really regardless.
Oct 13, 2015 7:04 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I rate everything as I go. So, yeah I give a rating at the first episode. Then as the series goes on I'll change my rating depending on how I feel.

Though, I do think people take the ratings on MAL waaaay to seriously sometimes. It isn't something set in stone from up on high it is a general consensus on how much other people liked it.
Oct 13, 2015 7:12 AM

Mar 2014
i give a first impression score and count strikes when i see something i dont like five strikes is a point deduction but it only takes one good episode to raise it up a point again, so basically it counts as removing five strikes. whatever it ends at is whatever it ends at.
Oct 13, 2015 7:21 AM

Dec 2013
DatRandomDude said:
here we go again.

every damn season
Oct 13, 2015 7:24 AM

Jun 2015
aikaflip said:
Easily. I just do. If the anime gets better, I raise the rating. If it gets worse, I lower it. Simple.

Couldn't have said it better.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 51 minutes ago

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

27 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 38 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.