How would you rate this manga?
Sep 26, 2015 5:08 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Manga: Yotsubato!

MAL Manga Information Page: Yotsubato!

Score: 8.90 (scored by 20573 users)
Ranked: #18
Popularity: #31

For the next two weeks I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL (17/10/2015)

Yotsubato! was inducted into the club Manga list: 88%
- Yes: 30
- No: 4
- I haven't read this manga: 32
- Abstained: 1

LindleNov 7, 2015 11:13 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 3, 2015 8:27 AM

Mar 2010
Pure unadulterated sweetness. It's not saccharine in the same vain as Aria, which might leave you in cardiac arrest as the characters in Neo-Venezia ponder what death even is when it doesn't happen to an inanimate object (that gains corporeal form as an old man in a dream ... maybe) or attempt to understand negative feelings, and it never fails to not make me smile when I read it. It actually feels genuine at all times even in its most absurd moments.

It's good stuff. It's funny, even the gags that rely on wordplay that non-natives or people who simply don't know the language can't really appreciate as much. The blend of everyday life centered around Yotsuba usually learning or experience something new in the vast and strange world she envisions (riding a bike, performing in a festival, visiting a school - festival, visiting a farm, other shit) is funny, heartfelt, and induces nostalgia of a time when I, myself, had similar outlooks and experiences. A lot of the times it's just good comedic gags involving some form of childish innocence or playfulness and Yotsuba's undeterred (rarely not the case) spirit. The rest of the cast manage to be distinct, have their own barrel of dynamics, and keep the ball rolling. There's other shit, but maybe other people got me covered there? Probably.
TonyThemeOct 3, 2015 4:31 PM
Oct 11, 2015 4:34 AM

Dec 2014
I will just post my review on it:
Nervin said:
There are slice of life mangas that focus on building and showing the relationships between the main characters, in this case a parent - child relationship, as with titles such as Usagi Drop or Taiyou no Ie. Then there is Yotsubato!, a manga which main premise lies in narrating and displaying the daily life of the child and the different interactions with her surroundings, all represented hilariously.

The story of Yotsubato! is simple: Yousuke Koiwai, the parent, and Yotsuba, the 5-year-old child, move to a new neighbourhood, living next to them a family composed of three girls and their parents. The author proceeds to narrate different everyday life events of Yotsuba, who is a very curious girl and ignorant of her surroundings. This is displayed masterfully, in conjunction with the art style: it is presented in such manner that it makes these situations very hilarious, as well as very relatable to your own childhood or that of your own family.

One thing that I missed in the story is the fact that it hardly focuses on the characters background at all, neither on the relationship development of the other characters, beside that of Yotsuba. Little hints to the background stories and relationships are introduced slowly, which leaves the reader yearning to know and explore more about it. The mostly episodic nature of the manga makes it difficult to really convey a feeling of "continuity" to the manga, but this is nevertheless a small drawback, which at the same time enhances the narrative of it.

The characters in Yotsubato are well carved and presented. Yotsuba clearly represents childhood, which is displayed through infinite curiosity and energy, absurd lies to escape punishment, honest, direct thinking, childhood innocence, which makes it so relatable. Other element which further enhances her personality is the fact that she is clueless of most modern things, even infancy games.

The cast of characters in Yotsubato! is large, but varied. There is Youtsuba's father Yousuke, who works for an unknown job at home, his friend Jumbo the giant florist, Yasuda who Yotsuba dislikes. Then the family next door: Ena, the smart and conscious one; Fuuka, your average highschool girl, and the cool sister Asagi. Not to forget the stern grandma. As the story progresses, the author reveals how their personalities are, as well as introducing new characters.

The art style of Yotsubato! complements well with the narrative of the manga, as well as displaying through simplistic facial expressions of Yotsuba her emotional state and how the other characters are affected. The art is consistent with stunningly realistic backgrounds, as cars, houses, room designs, you name it, which really came as a surprise.

Youtsubato! was overall a very enjoyable experience, whose narrative was well presented, with hilarious gags, as well as being very relatable to the reader. The lack of character's background story, and relationship development of the side characters may be a drawback for some, but this is compensated with the heartwarming and hilarious moments the manga has to offer. There was literally no chapter in which I didn't laugh. Recommendable to anyone with an interest in slice of life or comedy genre.

Thank you for reading.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.