Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 7, 2009 11:56 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
greatest tournament in anime history

:( i'll miss Koto

RtheO
May 14, 2010 5:24 PM

May 2009
A happy ending
Looks like next ep Kuwabara is alive again?

And Sakyo san's going to sacrifice himself

And, Kuwabara's sister's crying for him?

lol
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jun 24, 2010 5:07 PM

Apr 2007
Simply_Waiting said:
+1

I wouldn't mind going back to the beginning to re-watch it all over again, but more adventures await :3
Jun 24, 2010 5:11 PM
Jun 2010
Monochrome said:
Simply_Waiting said:
+1

I wouldn't mind going back to the beginning to re-watch it all over again, but more adventures await :3

Same with me! I wouldn't mind rewatching the whole series over again, along with the movies. I still remember that episode. Don't want to give anything away though for that episode or the next one.

(off topic: I still have a few Yu Yu Hakusho things I haven't seen and not sure where to find them to watch).
Aug 17, 2010 12:21 PM

Mar 2010
ok just blow the whole thing up kinda wanted a more dramatic ending

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 13, 2011 1:47 AM

Feb 2009
It was a great fight, but I expected more from these 2 guys.

THAT PUNCH! Awesome move.
Dec 17, 2011 4:19 AM

Jun 2008
pacuuuuu3 said:

And, Kuwabara's sister's crying for him?

Especially that made me lol considering this whole episode Kuwabara is supposed to be dead and his sister doesn't seem to give a shit.
Poor Kuwabara only Yusuke cared for his death.

Coolest moment was that neck braking punch but all in all this fight wasn't really a fight. It talk then powerup then talk the powerup and so on. Hieis battle was actually the best.
Aug 21, 2012 9:28 PM

Mar 2012
Looks like Kuwabara's coming back to life in the next episode. But we all knew that, lol.
Jul 10, 2013 9:12 PM

May 2012
Waaa... Kuwabara's alive! Good2x!!
Feb 5, 2014 3:21 PM

Jun 2009
Kind of disappointed with this fight it felt like there was no strategy involved and just DBZ like power battles. Sure Hiei's battle had a similar feeling, but it was a bit more badass.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 20, 2014 7:45 AM

Dec 2012
That had to be the best fight so far, it was more than worth marathoning the rest of the Dark Tournament to witness. I could not stop watching and it had me dropping my jaw in amazement all throughout. A very emotional battle, especially when Keiko snapped.

It's surreal how long this tournament was but I enjoyed its pacing and what it had to offer. It was also nice to play into my nostalgia a little when I saw bits of this years ago. And yeah, I am going to miss Koto. She was a really amusing touch to it all.
Dec 10, 2014 6:47 PM

Feb 2014
Yusuke won and Toguro must've been satisfied when he gave it all. Definitely one of the best character in the dark tournament aside from Genki.
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

Feb 8, 2015 4:47 PM
Aug 2007
hmm.. this fight felt a bit like it was just both of them powering up until toguro powered too much and he over-exerted himself causing his "shell" to break... he didn't need to take that final Spirit Gun head on either, just looked like he wanted to test himself out as much as possible and it proved a bit too much for him..

anyway, it looked liked from the episode preview that kuwabara is back again, so meh..

Have to say I'm surprised Toguro died after all that crazy powering up.. I was half expecting him to let Yusuke live again because he saw more potential and then he'd become the final boss of the entire anime..
Mar 22, 2015 10:23 PM

Aug 2013
And so, the most boring fight in anime history ends super anticlimactically. No strategy involved whatsoever. Just continuously power up, never actually fight directly, and then just die for no reason. Can't believe I wasted my time with this crap. Now I'm officially dropping this garbage series
Apr 6, 2015 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't mind the fight at all, but the story behind it was the matter.
Apr 20, 2015 6:15 AM

Aug 2013
What a ridiculously overly dramatic match ending in a tremendous letdown.

This entire tournament, along with the show, has had the worst fights I have ever seen.
Keep in mind that is with me having seen the terrible fights in the "Dragon Ball" series and the "Naruto" series.
Dec 28, 2015 2:28 AM

Dec 2012
Not a bad climax. Not too bad at all.

The fight itself wasn't fantastic, but I could feel the emotion and the severity of the situation.

Toguro was an alright villain. The final piece has been laid to rest.
Jul 1, 2016 3:44 PM
Aug 2014
Okay this is the first time I'm posting on here. First of all, I wish I hadn't come on here at all to read the discussion after I watched the episode, or I wish people would have spoiler tagged the part about kuwabara still being alive, not everyone watches the little previews at the end, and even the preview had the courtesy to warn that a spoiler was coming. After how emotional his death was, I hated to find out on here that he was still alive before watching the next episode.

Also I just can't understand the people hating on this fight. Like honestly, what? I mean I get what you're trying to say, but shouldn't what it makes you feel matter more than what strategies they used or how many times they hit each other? I understand loving a really good strategy fight but what this fight made me feel blew all the other amazing ones ones out of the water, and they were amazing. But I don't see how anyone who watched that could say it didn't keep them completely on the edge of their seat and in awe the whole time, not to mention all the super emotional parts. I was crying. In my opinion that was phenomenal. It is definitely one of the best fights I've ever seen.
Jul 12, 2016 2:04 PM

Dec 2014
For me, these 4 last fights were the best and made the anime huge. They represent the best of Shonen anime of the 90's. All the other fights were pretty lame truth be told.

PS: its funny to think that these 4 last fight were divided into 10 episodes, which meant more than 1 month, back in 1993-94. And I've just watched it all in 2 days nowadays. Ah, the times...
Love... hurts... so...
Nov 5, 2016 8:27 PM
Nov 2016
StevenHu said:
What a ridiculously overly dramatic match ending in a tremendous letdown.

This entire tournament, along with the show, has had the worst fights I have ever seen.
Keep in mind that is with me having seen the terrible fights in the "Dragon Ball" series and the "Naruto" series.

This was THE highlight of Yu Yu Hakusho. Having read your previous comments, I'm surprised you lasted up until this long, since literally none of the other fights could live up to this.

For an early 90's anime, some of these fights were really good. And tons of people who have seen dozens of different Anime series, say Yu Yu Hakusho was ahead of its time and is one of their favorites. I agree with them, too.

I'm not someone who saw this as a child (nostalgia CAN grossly exaggerate ones views on a series); I just recently was introduced to Yu Yu Hakusho almost 2 months ago. Seeing this show a 2nd time through as I type, and I totally don't feel like I'm wasting my time. I've seen about 40 different Anime and this, Hunter X Hunter 2011 make my top 5 list (that by the way is probably one of the greatest Anime ever created, said by many. I placed it at #1 easily, YuYu deserves #3 spot but I'm still debating this).

I've tried other Shonen anime and they utterly fail. People around me keep recommending Naruto, One Piece, Bleach... etc. Tried them, been there done that. That ship sunk long ago. I gave those 2nd and 3rd chances, couldn't do it. I even have to say Dragon Ball/Z is even better than most other Shonen, and lots of people complain about that one. I find myself at least once a year going through DB, Z and seeing all of the movies in order.

Maybe Anime is like wine tasting. You'll always find a critiquer around the corner, and no two people have the same tastes. HxH 2011 has critiquers and I can't find an anime better than that one. Seen stuff from the 80's, up to now.
Mar 27, 2017 9:04 PM

Sep 2015
Dam knew Toguro who was still standing would faint or some shyt. Good job Yusuke, you avenged Genkai and Kuwabara.
Apr 11, 2017 2:23 AM

Dec 2013
Damn that was an awesome climax!
May 23, 2017 12:48 AM

Dec 2014
Quite the epic finale to the fight. However, I still think Hiei's was more epic. :3

What saddens me is they didn't even bother to keep the suspense with Kuwabara being alive or dead. We all knew he was alive but they just show him in the PV standing with 0 injuries so it kinda killed the little suspense I had on that matter. XD
Jun 26, 2017 3:43 AM
Nov 2015
Gonna nitpick.
The climax is reached when Yuusuku shoots all over the place and Toguru is smeared in white. This anime has the most "shooting" I have ever seen, what's more, from kinda manly muscular guys at each other, and the nearer the end is, the bigger the size, which makes me blush and flushed at the same time.

A battle where every indication of power up is through how much bigger the power sphere gets, how much more grotesque muscles become, how much farther a guy is thrust backwards when hit, how many more rocks, boulders, walls, trees are smashed under a new attack, how many more comments from spectators of how unbelievable this new attack gets is elicited. Other than that, 2 sides mostly stand in one place and exchange astral power.

A battle where power literally is born out of feelings. Say, if you get angry, you get 70% power. If you are furious, you get 100% of yr power. And if a friend dies and you get enraged, you get 120% of yr power. What a wonderful formula.
Sean_NessmanJun 26, 2017 4:06 AM
Jun 26, 2017 3:51 AM
Nov 2015
Other than those, wonderful fight.
It's more like a fight btw 2 school of philosophy than 2 martial arts opponents. Basically whose philosophy is sounder and more morally appetizing gets to win the fight.
2/3rd of the arc is scatterbrained. The last third is tied together by discussion of age, power, whether strength is attained when you discard everything else and focus of yr skills, or whether it is born out of love for special people of yr life, and your moralities and righteousness (having sth/sb to protect or whatever)
In the end we are taught that we shouldn't run away from friends or old age.

Hiei's fight is decidedly more beautiful and flashy and creative (animation-wise) than this. But this scores in terms of idea, message, lesson, philosophy........

And there's a frame of Toguro before breaking into pieces, all yellow, very beautiful. Last ep has another of Yuusuke's face, punched all over, scars, very raw, kinda manly, good profile picture material.
Sean_NessmanJun 26, 2017 3:57 AM
Jul 29, 2017 7:51 PM

Jun 2016
Friendship and justice wins. That was cheesy as hell but not any worse than the majority of fights in this tournament. Okay, probably a little worse. The build up was great. The other episodes of this fight were horribly hopeless and chilling but this one just blew it. Two super magic spirit bombs and Yusuke's wins because of friendship alone. Not that I expected the fight to be anything that special, as I've said in past threads, the strong point is the characters and definitely not the actual fights.
Nov 7, 2017 5:00 PM

May 2013
Yusuke was badass. Togoru was an epic villain, his downfall was amazing. So glad the tournament is over but damn I enjoyed it.

Jan 10, 2018 2:25 PM

Jul 2017
That was very epic. Toguro collapsed all messed up, shriveled like he lived in a salt mine for 100 years. I was like 99% sure Yusuke would win, but seeing Toguro try to hold the blast and getting all messed up was interesting.

A couple things though: I don't like these kinds of things were people are constantly powering up, and I don't like that numbers pretty much don't matter. Obviously, it's way different than an actual fight, but I wish it wasn't. If two or more people are fighting one person, that individual is gonna have a lot of trouble. And when characters basically doubled or tripled their power in one arc, where do we go next? I don't know for sure, but I feel like the next arc is going to be less powered up than this one. I assume the reasoning will be that the characters needed special items, emotions, or were too-drained from using certain abilities to go all in like that all the time. Anyway, it's just some shonen action stuff.

I still really liked the episode.
Oct 4, 2018 8:56 AM

Nov 2016
It was decent fight overall, but not too impressive.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 31, 2019 3:57 PM
Jun 2017
MIND BLOWN FROM THIS EPISODE!

The last few episodes were definitely intense af which I loved! The fight between Toguro and Yusuke was my favourite by far! It was obvious that Yusuke was gonna win but it still gave me chills to see him getting beaten up! This arc has been amazing overall and it’s honestly sad to see it end! :(( But I’m stoked to see what the other arcs have in store!

I have so many questions about what will happen in future episodes? I’m probably guessing Kuwabara is alive lol I wonder what’s gonna happen to Sakyo now that Toguro is dead since he made a proposal! :0
Apr 2, 2019 2:33 PM

May 2017
so the tournament arc finally ends.. im happy about that. It was weird that yusuke decided to bet everything on one single spirit gun. I guess he had enough of fighting, he said I don't care how this ends this can only end two ways.

In the end Toguro's single desire was to fight someone at full strength before he dies. It makes sense for someone that is so driven by strength and power.

And of course kuwabara is not dead who wouldve thought.
May 16, 2019 8:04 AM

May 2018
I feel sad for Toguro tbh :(
Jun 1, 2019 6:48 AM
Apr 2016
Yay, Yuusuke somehow managed to win, well, Kuwabara is gone now though...I think. Toguro died. I like how everyone went from hating Yuusuke to cheering for him in the spectators.
Jun 6, 2019 11:07 AM

Feb 2017
Wasn't Yusuke more than 10 seconds down? I mean, Kurama lost even though he killed his opponent and still rose up in the end. The ring announcer maybe didn't count but still... And maybe people (rightfully so) would have gotten mad if she announced Toguro as the winner.
KultaOct 26, 2020 3:04 PM
Jun 8, 2019 9:06 AM

Jun 2012
What an incredibly boring match. Next arc please.
Sep 4, 2019 1:22 PM

Jun 2015
I never really understood what happens to Toguro at the end. He just turns into white mortar.
Apr 21, 2020 7:58 PM

Mar 2020
lol at Toguro thinking his 100% can defeat the power of Nakama
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jun 7, 2020 6:13 AM
May 2018
What a fight!!

For an early 1990s anime the quality was way good
Aug 24, 2020 12:45 AM

Apr 2020
That punch and Toguro flying awy was so WILD!!!!!!!!!!
For a second I thought Toguro was getting the Team Rocket ending lol
How is Kuwabar !
I need updates on KUWABARA!!!!!!!!
--AbiSa--
Dec 20, 2020 7:44 PM
Jan 2017
Its such as shame there so many brain-dead anime fans and don't pay attention, some people on have the audacity to complain about asspulls or contrived in this show yet accept in other battle shounen series. So far the fights have straight-ford and concise with plausible outcomes the fights, with some fights been convenient but overall solid.

Nothing in this Toguro fight was contrived it's being mentioned and established numerous of times spirit and demon energy are linked to emotions being able tap into that feeling, an individual can increase one's power for short while. Toguro had numerous opportunities to kill Yusuke but wanted worthy fight, Yusuke being inexperienced couldn't tap into his whole power voluntarily unless he was made angry by losing someone. Did you the training and power he received from Genkai in order to have the potential to take on Toguro.
Temujin26SDec 20, 2020 7:47 PM
Jan 4, 2021 9:01 AM

Dec 2007
great ending for great battle.

seems next episodes going to be the final to the arc.
Jul 3, 2021 11:59 AM
Sep 2007
100% of 100%... "This isn't even my final form", indeed.
Jul 29, 2021 12:11 AM

Aug 2018
damn, Yusuke actually won! If Kuwabara is actually dead I dont think I can go on watching this anime....

Mar 28, 2022 11:02 PM

Sep 2021
This series has been pretty underwhelming in all honesty, but I adore the Toguro fight that it may make up for it all.

My highlight is how Kuwabara was handled. He started his journey by pretty much tagging along with Yusuke, but never had the benefit of Genkai's training and had to find ways to get stronger on his own.

It was clear though in the tournament's latter stages he was out of his depth. He wins against Elder Toguro, which I think was only done so you have a little hope he will somehow survive against the younger brother.

I'm interested to see where his character will go from here in particular.
Oct 10, 2022 4:26 AM

Jan 2021
They did it man they won but damn Toguro’s final words really gave this the proper ending this was an amazing tournament
Jul 8, 2023 1:18 PM

Mar 2022
God what a finish, what an epic finish to an epic fight. Well done, Yusuke, well done. You've won, you've won. I have to say this along with Hiei's fight were probably the best fights in the whole of the Dark Tournament. I'm really glad that Toguro went out with a satisfying conclusion to his story. Just daaaaaamn that punch from Yusuke just send him flying across the arena. I have to say the stuff about Young Toguro is absolutely true I do think he's a great villain, he provided a lot of build up, had an interesting dynamic with Genkai and honestly that fight was emotional, drew me in and was so intense. Only a few more episodes left and then we are onto the Chapter Black Saga. Can't wait, can't wait.
Aug 22, 2023 12:31 PM

Jan 2019
what a fight, the best tournament arc ive seen. so good
candies:

Mar 5, 5:54 PM

Apr 2017
That was an intense fight and a genius arc. It's way ahead of its time and one of the best tournament arcs that I've ever seen. Seriously.

I also like Toguro's character in contrast with Genkai and Yusuke. It's funny how most shows tackle women that are afraid to age. This shows that women can find beauty in growing old while a man is the one who's afraid of growing old.

The emotional impact of the fights, of the deaths, and the expressions. The frustration, the persistence, and the grit. I honestly don't see how people can dislike this. I guess people are just contrarians or something...
Apr 15, 3:55 PM
Jan 2021
Toguro really just wanted an end to his story. I guess he regretted becoming a demon(or maybe not), who knows?
Apr 15, 3:58 PM
Jan 2021
Also, this 'dark tournament arc' was really great. I didn't ecpected it to be that good when the 1st rounds began, but oh well, It was an entertaining ride.
8.5/10 for the tournament arc.

I hope more interesting episodes are up ahead.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 99 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Jun 2, 2010

25 by Salvaged »»
Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 108 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Jun 7, 2010

37 by TheStarscream759 »»
Jun 5, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 22 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 18, 2009

27 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 3, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 107 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Jun 7, 2010

24 by TheStarscream759 »»
Jun 3, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 18 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 17, 2009

30 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 3, 3:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.