Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 30, 2015 2:40 AM

Mar 2015
Mikasa said:

Sales do not matter.
Jojo sold more but HxH had bigger impact on anime and inspired far more.
Even JoJo's later parts are said to take from HxH.

I was just responding to the "not statistically more popular" claim that tsudecimo made.

He's probably right about JJBA being more "iconic", but wrong about it being more influential.
Jul 30, 2015 2:48 AM

Jun 2009
Mikasa said:
HxH had bigger impact on anime and inspired far more.
Even JoJo's later parts are said to take from HxH.

Well that's news to me lol.
Jul 30, 2015 4:09 AM

Jul 2014
Of course it sold fucking more... it has 114 volumes while hunter x hunter has 32.
Jul 30, 2015 4:35 AM

Feb 2013
-helps derailing thread-
Jul 30, 2015 5:42 AM

Feb 2015
If you like Naruto and One Piece, you will probably like HxH too.
Jul 30, 2015 7:52 AM

May 2014
Jojo is more infuential than HxH , but that does not matter , just watch the show , put as little expectations as possible and I am sure you may get to be a new fanboy or something.

That being said I think HxH is better just because of that arc that is about half the show that is called the chimera ant arc, part 7 may be it's rival imo but oh well I still found the chimera to be a better arc than that subsequent part.
AkabawiJul 30, 2015 7:58 AM
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jul 30, 2015 2:18 PM

Dec 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
tsudecimo said:
Jojo is not more popular than HxH in Japan. It's more influential and iconic but not statistically more popular. HxH's international popularity is minuscule, so it's not a fair comparison.

JJBA is higher in manga sales, at least according to Wikipedia.

Because it has more volumes. You go by average.

HxH volume sells about 800 to 1million in a year. Jojo is about 300 to 450 in a year
Jul 30, 2015 2:20 PM

Oct 2011
well shounen is shounen, either you like it or you hate it.
Jul 30, 2015 2:22 PM

Dec 2013
It's not much different from any other shounen tbh
Jul 30, 2015 2:57 PM

Mar 2014
I wouldn't say that it's different but it definitely stands out.
Jul 30, 2015 3:00 PM

Oct 2012
vedatsvet said:
AttackOnTetris said:

Well I obviously can't agree with that but at least it's a somewhat original opinion.

Dude you do realize that he hasn't even seen the CA arc, right?
I'm fairly certain that episode 115 is most of the way through the CA arc, I dropped it because it got so tedious that it was unwatchable.
Jul 30, 2015 3:20 PM

Mar 2015
Feaor said:
I'm fairly certain that episode 115 is most of the way through the CA arc, I dropped it because it got so tedious that it was unwatchable.

You definitely should keep LOGH on hold then.
Jul 30, 2015 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
Akabawi said:
Jojo is more infuential than HxH , but that does not matter , just watch the show , put as little expectations as possible and I am sure you may get to be a new fanboy or something.

That being said I think HxH is better just because of that arc that is about half the show that is called the chimera ant arc, part 7 may be it's rival imo but oh well I still found the chimera to be a better arc than that subsequent part.

JJBA's influence has no trace compared to HxH's.
Or Togashis in general.
End Zionazism
Jul 30, 2015 5:37 PM

May 2014
Mikasa said:
Akabawi said:

Or Togashis in general.

Yeah , sure lol.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jul 30, 2015 5:40 PM

May 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
Feaor said:

Seconded that.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jul 30, 2015 6:04 PM

Sep 2014
Feaor said:
Tylaen said:

Atleast the first part Is.
If you're talking about Battle Tendency then certainly, even Part 3 is better than most of HxH with the exception of Yorknew imo.
Feaor said:
Tylaen said:

Atleast the first part Is.
If you're talking about Battle Tendency then certainly, even Part 3 is better than most of HxH with the exception of Yorknew imo.

Hahaha no. Sure Dio might be entertaining, but that's all part 3 has going for it. Part 3 of jojo is the worst part of the entire series. Nearly every episode or two can be summarized as:

1. Villain of the week appears

2. heroes are at a disadvantage and it is made as dramatic as possible

3. villain laughs as outrageously as possible

4. Jotaro (or one of the other main characters) says a shitty one liner - "it was YOU who was on the losing side this whole time."

5. ORAORAORAORAORAORA.

6. Victory.

If you're going to do Jojo, read the manga. Part 2 is the only good part of when Jojo was a shonen.

Of course you can complain about the asspulls in Jojo, but if you're reading/watching JJBA, you just learn to accept it. Asspulls are as recurring in Jojos as sad back stories in One Piece.
Stop..Don't come inside me! - Obito Uchiha
Jul 31, 2015 1:52 AM

Oct 2013
Feaor said:
vedatsvet said:

Dude you do realize that he hasn't even seen the CA arc, right?

You are expressing your opinion about something that has 20 more episodes in it. Well you are entitled to your opinion anyways and I can understand you not liking a show, but your opinion would sound more credible when you actually have watched the thing that you compare to something else, saying that sth else is better.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jul 31, 2015 1:55 AM

Aug 2008
No,it's no different from any other shounen.

It's pretty much the same as other shounen where MC train to become stronger, fight against new villains in new arc.
ZapredonJul 31, 2015 5:57 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 31, 2015 2:21 AM

Mar 2012
Akabawi said:
Mikasa said:

Or Togashis in general.

Yeah , sure lol.

Damn right it's sure
End Zionazism
Jul 31, 2015 9:35 AM

Jan 2014
Hmmm. Upon consideration, it probably shares more with Dragonball and Naruto than other shounen, but the differences between all shounen are still pretty notable.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 31, 2015 4:46 PM

May 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Hmmm. Upon consideration, it probably shares more with Dragonball and Naruto than other shounen, but the differences between all shounen are still pretty notable.

It's very much yu yu hakusho and jojo mix than any other shounen. and probably early naruto.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jul 31, 2015 7:29 PM

Jan 2014
Akabawi said:
RedRoseFring said:

It's very much yu yu hakusho and jojo mix than any other shounen. and probably early naruto.

Hmmm. Can't really see much of Jojo in it apart from a few abilities. In terms of characters it is closer to Naruto and a bit of early Dragon Ball.
There's also the adventure aspect that is similar to Dragon Ball in having no set direction. The first few events are similar to some of Naruto's.

"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 31, 2015 7:44 PM

May 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Akabawi said:

Hmmm. Can't really see much of Jojo in it apart from a few abilities. In terms of characters it is closer to Naruto and a bit of early Dragon Ball.
There's also the adventure aspect that is similar to Dragon Ball in having no set direction. The first few events are similar to some of Naruto's.

Well yes it's similar to Naruto in some events since you know lol .

But the characters not only are very similar to yu yu hakusho's , the main characters have more resemblance to yu yu's main characters . The tournaments -> Heavens arena , there was also this big exam in yu yu hakusho which had stages that are similar to the marching through the swamps part. I still feel it is way less DBZ aside from some character designs and references here and there and some deconstructed tropes from it.

Wang Chang's design is zeno , High dio was a base for hisoka , kira yoshikage was a base for bomber *who is a lot worse than kira anyway*. I also find the change of the structure in every arc being more similar to jojo's change in structure in every part.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jul 31, 2015 11:33 PM

Mar 2012
@Isaac_ as you can see, no one could give strong argument for its similarity to any! Think you can fare better? Watch thd show and cone back here to prove me wrong :P
End Zionazism
Aug 1, 2015 8:21 AM

Jan 2011
Akabawi said:
AttackOnTetris said:

Seconded that.

he can keep watching LOGH an enjoy it even if he got bored of HxH, those 2 arent similar at all
Aug 1, 2015 8:28 AM

May 2014
silversaint said:
Akabawi said:

Seconded that.

he can keep watching LOGH an enjoy it even if he got bored of HxH, those 2 arent similar at all

If it's the storytelling method he dislikes , then no because the storytelling method is very similar to the chimera arc. The exposition instead of the show don't tell method , the detailed expressions in characters , the detail in everything that happens . well LOTGH even has far more details lol.
AkabawiAug 1, 2015 8:31 AM
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 1, 2015 9:06 AM

Jan 2011
the exposition only happens during the first 10- 15 eps after that LOGH stops handholding the viewer, HxH on the other hand stays pretty much the same till its final arc, at least thats how i saw it
Aug 1, 2015 9:30 AM

Dec 2012
Like most people on the thread said, it's not different. It's fans mistake thinking it's good and well executed for being different than other battle anime (which is dumb), because they have a skewed and stereotypical view of them.

It subverts some tropes here and there, but not significantly more than any other battle shounen that gets labeled ''generic'' and there are other battle manga that are a lot more unorthodox and atypical (Medaka Box of the top of my head)
Aug 1, 2015 11:09 AM

Mar 2015
silversaint said:
the exposition only happens during the first 10- 15 eps after that LOGH stops handholding the viewer, HxH on the other hand stays pretty much the same till its final arc, at least thats how i saw it

I'm talking about the detailed description of every event that is happening. If the narration-heavy storytelling of the Chimera Ant arc is "tedious", then so is LOGH.
Aug 1, 2015 11:09 AM

May 2014
silversaint said:
Episodes 30-> 50 says otherwise.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 1, 2015 11:10 AM

May 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
silversaint said:

I'm talking about the detailed description of every event that is happening. If the narration-heavy storytelling of the Chimera Ant arc is "tedious", then so is LOGH.

Yes .
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 1, 2015 11:27 AM
Mar 2015
Thanks to everyone who answered. I just watched the first 12 episodes since my expectations are more reasonable after reading this thread. It's very good so far, I love the adventurous feel and pretty much all the characters even the minor ones (except those who are purposely designed to be hated like Tonpa) which is a first since I've started watching anime as a whole. The clown in particular is fantastic, the first episode seemed pretty kid friendly but ever since he appeared it's now basically a creepy adventure with a lighthearted/upbeat background. Which I love. Gon is very adorable too but he seems to be very strong for a 12 yo kid. The assassin is... dangerous, don't know how I feel about him so far. The animation has been great but I feel like everything is happening a bit too fast. Btw, the blondie is a boy? lmao. The doctor is very funny. The main cast still has a quite a way to go before reaching the strawhats level though.

That being said, I don't understand why people say it's 'different' (but this is an early judgement though). After finishing Naruto recently, I have to say, both are pretty similar(but I like this one more so far), I even thought they were made by the same author at some point. I did not notice any such blatant similarities between One Piece and Naruto in all those hundreds of episodes so I'm tempted to say, One Piece is more original so far (I know I'm biased towards One Piece :p). Since Hunter X Hunter probably took heavy inspiration from Naruto, I don't understand how people can claim it original, but again I'm just 12 episodes in.
Isaac_Aug 1, 2015 11:35 AM
Aug 1, 2015 11:35 AM
Oct 2013
Isaac_ said:
Thanks to everyone who answered. I just watched the first 12 episodes since my expectations are more reasonable after reading this thread. It's very good so far, I love the adventurous feel and pretty much all the characters even the minor ones (except those who are purposely designed to be hated like Tonpa) which is a first since I've started watching anime as a whole. The clown in particular is fantastic, the first episode seemed pretty kid friendly but ever since he appeared it's now basically a creepy adventure with a lighthearted/upbeat background. Which I love. Gon is very adorable too but he seems to be very strong for a 12 yo kid. The assassin is... dangerous, don't know how I feel about him so far. The animation has been great but I feel like everything is happening a bit too fast. Btw, the blondie is a boy? lmao. The main cast still has a quite a way to go before reachibg the strwmawhats level though.

That being said, I don't understand why people say it's 'different' (but this is an early judgement though). After finishing Naruto recently, I have to say, both are pretty similar(but I like this one more so far), I even thought they were made by the same author at some point. I did not notice any such blatant similarities between One Piece and Naruto in all those hundreds of episodes so I'm tempted to say, One Piece is more original so far (I know I'm biased towards One Piece :p). [b]Since Hunter X Hunter probably took heavy inspiration from Naruto, I don't understand how people can claim it original, but again I'm just 12 episodes in.
[/b]

It´s completely the opposite HxH inspired Naruto´s start, however they completely deviate from one another during Shippuden actually right from the Chunin exams. Also they are pretty basic stories that are similar Clans that get eradicated, a revenge plot, that´s like the 101 of storytelling besides I love you, I love you too but we have bigger problems right now.

Naruto One Piece and HxH are heavily Dragon Ball inspired, One Piece more than the other two, while Kishimoto credits also Akira alot as an inspirational source.

Overall any succcesful battleshounen=Dragon Balls sons.
Aug 1, 2015 11:36 AM

May 2014
Isaac_ said:
Thanks to everyone who answered. I just watched the first 12 episodes since my expectations are more reasonable after reading this thread. It's very good so far, I love the adventurous feel and pretty much all the characters even the minor ones (except those who are purposely designed to be hated like Tonpa) which is a first since I've started watching anime as a whole. The clown in particular is fantastic, the first episode seemed pretty kid friendly but ever since he appeared it's now basically a creepy adventure with a lighthearted/upbeat background. Which I love. Gon is very adorable too but he seems to be very strong for a 12 yo kid. The assassin is... dangerous, don't know how I feel about him so far. The animation has been great but I feel like everything is happening a bit too fast. Btw, the blondie is a boy? lmao. The doctor is very funny. The main cast still has a quite a way to go before reaching the strwmawhats level though.

That being said, I don't understand why people say it's 'different' (but this is an early judgement though). After finishing Naruto recently, I have to say, both are pretty similar(but I like this one more so far), I even thought they were made by the same author at some point. I did not notice any such blatant similarities between One Piece and Naruto in all those hundreds of episodes so I'm tempted to say, One Piece is more original so far (I know I'm biased towards One Piece :p). Since Hunter X Hunter probably took heavy inspiration from Naruto, I don't understand how people can claim it original, but again I'm just 12 episodes in.

Actually Naruto took a lot from hunter x hunter, even complete plot points and some characterizations.

Well the parts they talk about is later , just watch and you will really enjoy it.
As I said not really different as a creator of tropes or genres within a battle shounen or something , it's more of a" it has it's own identity" and you will realize that later.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 1, 2015 11:37 AM

May 2014
Isterio said:
Isaac_ said:
Thanks to everyone who answered. I just watched the first 12 episodes since my expectations are more reasonable after reading this thread. It's very good so far, I love the adventurous feel and pretty much all the characters even the minor ones (except those who are purposely designed to be hated like Tonpa) which is a first since I've started watching anime as a whole. The clown in particular is fantastic, the first episode seemed pretty kid friendly but ever since he appeared it's now basically a creepy adventure with a lighthearted/upbeat background. Which I love. Gon is very adorable too but he seems to be very strong for a 12 yo kid. The assassin is... dangerous, don't know how I feel about him so far. The animation has been great but I feel like everything is happening a bit too fast. Btw, the blondie is a boy? lmao. The main cast still has a quite a way to go before reachibg the strwmawhats level though.

That being said, I don't understand why people say it's 'different' (but this is an early judgement though). After finishing Naruto recently, I have to say, both are pretty similar(but I like this one more so far), I even thought they were made by the same author at some point. I did not notice any such blatant similarities between One Piece and Naruto in all those hundreds of episodes so I'm tempted to say, One Piece is more original so far (I know I'm biased towards One Piece :p). [b]Since Hunter X Hunter probably took heavy inspiration from Naruto, I don't understand how people can claim it original, but again I'm just 12 episodes in.
[/b]

It´s completely the opposite HxH inspired Naruto´s start, however they completely deviate from one another during Shippuden.

Naruto One Piece and HxH are heavily Dragon Ball inspired, One Piece more than the other two, while Kishimoto credits also Akira alot as an inspirational source.

Overall any succcesful battleshounen=Dragon Balls sons.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hokuto no Ken would like a word with you xD
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 1, 2015 11:40 AM
Oct 2013
Akabawi said:

Well I´m pretty sure that uncle Jo and grandpa Kenshiro did their part. However
Goku is the father Jerry Springer Style.

Also Uncle Jojo has pulled stuff none of the kids dared to do.
IsterioAug 1, 2015 11:44 AM
Aug 1, 2015 11:44 AM

May 2015
Akabawi said:
Isaac_ said:
Thanks to everyone who answered. I just watched the first 12 episodes since my expectations are more reasonable after reading this thread. It's very good so far, I love the adventurous feel and pretty much all the characters even the minor ones (except those who are purposely designed to be hated like Tonpa) which is a first since I've started watching anime as a whole. The clown in particular is fantastic, the first episode seemed pretty kid friendly but ever since he appeared it's now basically a creepy adventure with a lighthearted/upbeat background. Which I love. Gon is very adorable too but he seems to be very strong for a 12 yo kid. The assassin is... dangerous, don't know how I feel about him so far. The animation has been great but I feel like everything is happening a bit too fast. Btw, the blondie is a boy? lmao. The doctor is very funny. The main cast still has a quite a way to go before reaching the strwmawhats level though.

Actually Naruto took a lot from hunter x hunter, even complete plot points and some characterizations.

I second this.
Aug 1, 2015 12:04 PM

May 2014
Isterio said:
Akabawi said:

Well I´m pretty sure that uncle Jo and grandpa Kenshiro did their part. However
Goku is the father Jerry Springer Style.

Also Uncle Jojo has pulled stuff none of the kids dared to do.

If there was a like button here , I would have liked this.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 1, 2015 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
silversaint said:

Not really comparable. LoGH focused more on events while the CA arc more on character states (which were evident in some cases). I find the former still managed to be more relevant because it described events the viewer would not otherwise know.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 1, 2015 2:28 PM

May 2014
RedRoseFring said:
AttackOnTetris said:

Not really comparable. LoGH focused more on events while the CA arc more on character states (which were evident in some cases). I find the former still managed to be more relevant because it described events the viewer would not otherwise know.
Lotgh has narration that focused on character states btw.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 1, 2015 2:51 PM

Mar 2015
RedRoseFring said:

Not one time did I think "I already know this; why are you telling me this?" in HxH. Even if I already thought I knew it, telling it again by Word of God added a sense of legitimacy to my thoughts. The same often happened in LOGH.
Aug 2, 2015 5:13 AM

Aug 2014
Feaor said:
AttackOnTetris said:

How it is "better"? I haven't seen it but from what I'm gathering it's apples and oranges and HxH is more like the things that the OP likes.
Obviously its imo, but it has better characters, Stands/Hamon is more interesting than Nen, and Dio is an amazing villain. There is more too it than that, but honestly I don't care for HxH all that much, especially the CA arc which is just awful imo.

bold #1: Yeah, no.
bold #2: Dio is completely one-dimensional. He has nothing on any of the Spiders, let alone Meruem.
Aug 2, 2015 5:29 AM

Jul 2013
Togashi definitely knew what we had seen before and what has been done to death in shonen and wanted to do something new
Aug 2, 2015 2:43 PM

Jan 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
RedRoseFring said:

Not one time did I think "I already know this; why are you telling me this?" in HxH. Even if I already thought I knew it, telling it again by Word of God added a sense of legitimacy to my thoughts. The same often happened in LOGH.

That's good for you, I guess?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 2, 2015 2:49 PM

Mar 2015
RedRoseFring said:
AttackOnTetris said:

Of course it is, and also for most viewers who aren't hyper-critical haters who are constantly looking for creative storytelling for the sole purpose of categorizing it as an objective flaw.
Aug 2, 2015 2:52 PM

Dec 2012
Voidling said:
Feaor said:
Obviously its imo, but it has better characters, Stands/Hamon is more interesting than Nen, and Dio is an amazing villain. There is more too it than that, but honestly I don't care for HxH all that much, especially the CA arc which is just awful imo.

bold #2: Dio is completely one-dimensional. He has nothing on any of the Spiders, let alone Meruem.

I don't think you know what the term 'one dimensional' entails. It's impossible for someone like Dio to be one dimensional, given his role in the story and screen time.
Aug 3, 2015 12:29 AM

Oct 2013
Voidling said:
Feaor said:

Dio is not one dimensional, but he isn't complex either. I really don't know why people like him so much. He seems like a typical villain to me, like Bomber from HxH, that's how I view him.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Aug 3, 2015 4:18 AM

Aug 2014
vedatsvet said:
Voidling said:

Dio is not one dimensional, but he isn't complex either. I really don't know why people like him so much. He seems like a typical villain to me, like Bomber from HxH, that's how I view him.

Yeah, "typical" is probably the word I was looking for.
Aug 3, 2015 7:40 AM

Jan 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
RedRoseFring said:

Of course it is, and also for most viewers who aren't hyper-critical haters who are constantly looking for creative storytelling for the sole purpose of categorizing it as an objective flaw.

Actually, that's mostly just you. The major complaint about that arc was the narration, even for many who thought it was the best overall.
I don't even know what your description is supposed to address. Elitists? Objectivists?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 3, 2015 7:42 AM

Jan 2014
vedatsvet said:
Voidling said:

More like Hisoka comparing the amount of screen time they got.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.