How would you rate this manga?
Jul 25, 2015 5:29 AM

Jan 2009
Spotlight Manga: Azumanga Daioh

MAL Manga Information Page: Azumanga Daioh

MAL Score - 8.49 (by 12663 users)
Ranked - #137
Popularity - #122

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE THREAD:

Azumanga Daioh was NOT inducted into the club Manga list:
7 Yes - 37%
12 No - 63%
42 I haven't read this manga
2 Abstained

(16/04/17)
Azumanga Daioh (Manga) was NOT inducted into the club Manga list:
5 Yes - 50%
5 No - 50%

35 Have not read this manga
1 Abstained
TruePeinSep 1, 2017 11:38 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 25, 2015 6:13 AM

May 2012
What can I say about this one? I've never really read anything like it. Even with only four panels, AD succeeds in telling some pretty funny jokes. The characters all get their own unique personalities and quirks to keep the manga fresh and interesting. A comedy is always very hard to rate or criticize because what's funny and what's not is something very personal. Some jokes work really well while others don't. Certainly more fun than funny, but we don't really have a pure comedy on our list. A yes from me.
Jul 25, 2015 2:24 PM

Oct 2012
Azumanga is very funny, at least in the beginning. The problem I see in the episodic format, or short stories in the case of Azumanga Daioh, is that as time passes it start getting repetitive and gets less and less fun. The first volume was the funniest one to me, as I was still getting acquainted with the characters, but the next few volumes seemed like a repetition of first one and the most punchlines the same. However, the manga is still funny and it being only 4 volumes is a big plus, as otherwise it would drag longer and longer and stop being fun altogether.

Another problem is that I usually don't like series that are 100% comedy, I usually laugh a lot in the internet, so when it comes to entertainment I want something more than just comedy. Azumanga is a good comedy manga, although it's not my cup of tea.
Jul 27, 2015 9:18 PM

Mar 2013
Azumanga is a slightly funny 4-koma comedy manga. For those that don't know a 4 koma manga is basically like the comic strips you can find in daily newspapers like Peanuts or Dilbert for example. But unlike those short comic strips, Azumanga is told in chapters which works to it's detriment as most the jokes to me were either a) not funny or b) a small chuckle. This made it a hassle to read most of the time. However that's not to say that all the jokes are bad, as there are some that did crack me up but those were few and far between.

A no from me.
Bring back down votes on reviews
Aug 22, 2015 1:10 PM

Jul 2014
In my opinion, Azumanga Daioh is a pretty decent slice-of-life manga, but I don't think there's anything really much to it besides that. It's amusing enough but sometimes it gets boring. Most of the jokes aren't really all that funny and are just worth a smile rather than a laugh.

Overall, I enjoyed AzuDaioh to an extent, and would rate it a 7, but I'm going to go with no on this one.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.